Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    Oh man, I'm getting the shivers! They never disappoint me.
    The translation gave me shivers, too. It sounds so lovely.

And add me to the anything but Sinatra list. I cannot stand Sinatra.

vCash
    How can you say Charlie doesn't have the range of expression? I thought he was terrific in POTO and looked as if he might throw Meryl out of the arena at any moment during the FD.

On a side-note, I like the title, "Not Carmen. Better Late than Sinatra" a little more than the current. hehe.

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    The admins generally won't change it unless the original thread starter asks, fyi.

Just because trolling will happen and the two teams are rivals doesn't mean we can't try to be above it.
    Fine. I PMed an admin to change the title to "Better Late than Sinatra."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post
    Fine. I PMed an admin to change the title to "Better Late than Sinatra."
    Sorry. I don't mean to gang up on you about it. You want to talk about Meryl's potential gypsy costume?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    He is maturing and gaining more life experience...I wouldn't count him out on pushing up his level of expression. I actually thought he was quite expressive in POTO and I liked his expression in the Tango FD as well.
    gwendal's expression in their exhibition to danse mon esmeralda has set the bar for me, and considering he is even seen as the ice to anisinna's fire. of course, gwendal had already matured so much at that point, and it was an exhibition piece rather than an amateur competition one. *shrug* i dont know, we'll see how charlie will do.

vCash
    I, for one, am very eager to see Charlie's interpretation and expression. I like that they are continuing to find ways to challenge themselves. And, yes, choosing a piece of music where Charlie's "role" will be highlighted in a very dramatic way is a good way to continue to grow.

vCash
    Just saw Meryl's tweet. She's kind of awesome, isn't she?

vCash
    OMG I can't even begin to tell you guys how excited I am for Notre Dame now that everyone started posting links to those beautiful songs. And Meryl's tweet... I mean, I love A/P's take on Danse mon Esmeralda, but it's been so long and if someone is capable of pulling off a fresh and just as wonderful version of it, it's Meryl and Charlie.

Can't wait to see it, I have a feeling it's gonna be another stunner

Better late than Sinatra indeed.
    Last edited by mia joy; 09-12-2012 at 12:48 PM.

vCash
    Hi everyone, I'm sorta new. Been lurking around and now finally decided to post cause I'm excited about the FD too! Been listening to Danse mon Esmerelda the whole day and I see the potential...

Back in 2010, I was surfing on youtube and found ice dancing. At first I was watching V/M, but somehow, something put me off - think it was Scott's demeanor when they bow and in the K&C. So I looked for something better and found D/W. I've been a firm fan ever since. When I'm bored I watch their programs to see what I've missed and they have so much stuff going on, there's always something to discover. It's great

Hope it will be a great season for our team!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I seem to remember hearing "Notre Dame de Paris" used three times during the FD at Euros this year and I've been trying to forget it ever since. It's one of the few pieces of music that makes me wish I was deaf.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    I saw Meryl's tweet this morning and knew this was the place to go for the translation. Can't wait to see the dance. I haven't been this excited about their music choice since S & D.
    When you change the way you look at things, everything you look at changes.

vCash
    comickiwi welcome to our joyful group

You're definitely not the only one who started as a V/M kind-of-fan and then discovered the uniqueness of Meryl and Charlie. When both teams appeared in seniors in 2007 I was completely focused on Tessa and Scott until I saw Eleanor Rigby the next year and S&D the year after. Now I'm a proud D/W uber

I've been listening to Notre Dame de Paris like crazy and the musical definitely has a lot of beautiful, romantic and soft, as well as dramatic and dark songs. There's a lot to choose from. Can't wait to find out which pieces exactly they're using.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    comickiwi welcome to our joyful group

You're definitely not the only one who started as a V/M kind-of-fan and then discovered the uniqueness of Meryl and Charlie. When both teams appeared in seniors in 2007 I was completely focused on Tessa and Scott until I saw Eleanor Rigby the next year and S&D the year after. Now I'm a proud D/W uber
    Thanks so much! Actually I didn't even get a chance to be a V/M fan cause I saw D/W and never went back. They just hooked me right in. Something about them are so much more natural than V/M who I always thought were a bit forced (even until today).

I've since checked out their programs starting from 2006-07(whatever I can scour from the net) and have an embarrassingly large collection of videos and photos of them

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by comickiwi View Post
    Thanks so much! Actually I didn't even get a chance to be a V/M fan cause I saw D/W and never went back. They just hooked me right in. Something about them are so much more natural than V/M who I always thought were a bit forced (even until today).
    What do you mean by "forced"? It's not like I want to start an argument in the Davis/White fan thread - I am just curious, because Tessa and Scott fans couldn't agree less (of course ). I don't agree either, but that's just my thing here. Still, it's always interesting to know what others see that I don't see.

As for myself, I am not exactly a fan of any of those two teams, although I like both a lot. But I hadn't even paid much attention to them until 2010 Olympics. Before that, there were ice dancers whom I noticed more/liked better, although I wasn't a fan of anyone. Only much later I remembered that in 2008 I liked the silver medalist's (that is, Tessa and Scott's) FD better than Delobel/Schoenfelder's. I started to lean to Virtue/Moir side last year for reasons that I couldn't even explain to myself yet - but just a tiny bit. Still, I thought that Pechalat/Bourzat were actually my favorite current team. But then I decided to watch/rewatch all three team's dances beginning with 2006/2007 (Meryl/Charlie's and Tessa/Scott's first senior year) many of which I didn't remember well - including ODs, CDs and, finally, SDs. Then I tried to rate them in a loose three points system (in some cases I couldn't arrange them from first place to third, as I couldn't decide between two or even three dances). I'll be honest - Tessa and Scott turned out as winners, Nathalie/Fabian a quite close second, and Meryl/Charlie - a third (sorry ). Although there was one season/year when Meryl an Charlie were clear winners over Tessa and Scott - 2009, as I liked their FDs equally, but liked Meryl/Charlie's OD and CD better than Tessa/Scott's . But there is just one overall quality which I could determine that I like in Tessa and Scott more - while Meryl and Charlie are more dramatic and even flamboyant in a true Hollywood style way (which I also like), to me, Tessa and Scott seem somehow more refined and suave (which many seem to find boring). And currently I like that style a bit more. But it may change. Also, I am not one of those fans who like their favorites more and want them to win no matter what they do. So, if Meryl and Charlie would make dances that I liked more, and/or skated clearly better, of course, I'd be sad that Tessa and Scott didn't have such good dances and/or made mistakes, but I'd still be content with Meryl and Charlie winning.

I know that I will be reprimanded for stating that I like Tessa and Scott slightly better in a Meryl and Charlie ubers thread. But I just wanted to explain my reasons, and how it started, not argue with anybody (as I already wrote).
    Last edited by lauravvv; 09-12-2012 at 03:56 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    What do you mean by "forced"? It's not like I want to start an argument in the Davis/White fan thread - I am just curious, because Tessa and Scott fans couldn't agree less (of course ). I don't agree either, but that's just my thing here. Still, it's always interesting to know what others see that I don't see.

...Tessa and Scott seem somehow more refined and suave (which many seem to find boring). And currently I like that style a bit more. ...

I know that I will be reprimanded for stating that I like Tessa and Scott slightly better in a Meryl and Charlie ubers thread. But I just wanted to explain my reasons, and how it started, not argue with anybody (as I already wrote).
    Oh no, no argument or reprimand (from me at least)

Liking any sport team, celebrity, idol etc and supporting them is a very personal thing, so it can be really small things that appeal to a certain someone. To me, both teams have great things about them. They each have positives and negatives that appeals to different people.

Yes, you are right. V/M are really refined - one of their many great qualities - but it's not what appeals to me, I can't explain it. Perhaps "forced" isn't the word. Perhaps too refined?

Anyways, every team deserves a chance. I like D/W but not to the point that I think they should win with a weak program. If I can see that they're doing their best, it's enough for me. Seeing hard work being rewarded is just the bonus.

vCash
    For me, the difference between the two teams reminds me of the difference between Gordeeva/Grinkov and Mishkutenok/Dmitriev in pairs. Both were Olympic champions. It came down to which style was preferred, and, I guess, which direction one wanted pairs skating to go.

vCash
    Isn't Yuzuru Hanyu doing his Free skate to the same music? Wonder if will be a similar cut. Shouldn't matter as he is a single's skater. Last season Akiko also did die Fleidermaus.

vCash
    The Anthony Hopkins connection:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGNXZA40AsM

vCash
    Yes, you are right. V/M are really refined - one of their many great qualities - but it's not what appeals to me, I can't explain it. Perhaps "forced" isn't the word. Perhaps too refined?
    V/M do have wonderfully smooth blades and always look so elegant. They are very traditional, classic ice dancers. Davis & White, OTOH, are one of a kind and take ice dance where it has never been before. It is that "skating to the edge of the precipice" feeling that makes their skating so exciting. By comparison, V-M really do feel bland to me.

I think the G-G and M-D analogy above is on the money. M&D brought a very different style and unique, more exciting quality to pairs much like D-W in dance, but that's an area that's mostly unexplored in both disciplines. The difference between that and V-M is that lots of folks have skated in the classical G&G style, so you have to do it as well or better or you just look like an imitation. Ho hum, seen that before. (This is also why no pair team skating today does anything for me and why the Shibs still leave me totally bored.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    As long as you don't bash Meryl and Charlie (which you clearly don't), noone in this thread is going to reprimand you for liking Tessa and Scott more. Personally I like Tessa and Scott less and less every year, for different reasons, but I do understand why people might be their fans. Their skating quality is undeniable, for me they're just lacking the "IT" factor, some on ice personality maybe, some inner fire. All those things Meryl and Charlie have so much of. Plus, Scott's off ice behaviour usually doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by comickiwi View Post
    I think I understand what you mean by "forced" or "too refined", although I can't put it down in words either. Once again, I like to quote The Black Swan: "Perfection is not just about control. It's also about letting go". For me the letting go part is where Meryl and Charlie beat Tessa and Scott. Too much control becomes bland in the end.

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast