Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

vCash
    I just got to watch both V/M and D/W FD's....(life in my world is a little out of control). I watched them in that order, for no particular reason. I love a lot of what V/M is doing with Carmen, but they lost my attention about half way through. Not sure why. D/W - I didn't know what music they were skating to, and had an OMG you are kidding....but holy cow, they skated the crap out of that program. Loved it start to finish. The highlights, the expressions.........sure it is the first time through (for both teams), but I was really impressed.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bournekraatzfan View Post
    no problem. Did you manage to get them to work? I have tried several times and they won't seem to play. I have them on my DVR but I don't know how to upload them to a video sharing site.
    I got the FD to work. Not to say they won't pull it tomorrow unfortunately

vCash
    I watched the FD again, and I must say, I think D/W are capable of fleshing out the choreography more. What they do, they do very well and it is certainly complex, but I think it could be more complete.

Here's my laundry list of what I'd like to see for the transformation of Notre Dame de Paris throughout the season:
    -more transitions: it kind of seems like more crossovers, sort of like Die Fledermaus last season. Granted, I loved that FD, but it could have been better. D/W used to have great transitions-I'll never forget the one into the twizzles in the 07 FD, or the twizzle entrance from the original ER. I want to see more of that
    -more facing each other: I think D/W could show a heck of a lot more relation to one another if their choreo featured more moments when they could make eye contact. In the step sequences specifically, they don't have a lot of holds where they can actually face each other.
    -the step sequences: there does seem to be more variety of holds this season, and I like that, but I want to see more variety in the steps. I feel like we've already seen these step sequences so many times from D/W.
    -Meryl moments: it might just be me, but I feel like there are a few instances where the choreo doesn't give Meryl anything to do except wait for Charlie to finish his work and move into the next thing with her. Give her something concrete!

Phew. Keep in mind that I've been cooped up thanks to Sandy (but I do actually stand by this lol). I really do love D/W, but I think this is along the lines of what needs to be done in order to truly be spectacular.

vCash
    I realize more and more that I love all parts of their FD - but I have problems with it as a whole dance. I can't see a story there.
    Especially the Cabaret piece right before Dance mon Esmeralda seems out of place for me.

vCash
    Do we know why D/W had to change their FD again? I got the impression from Tanith's commentary that the change from Sinatra to Notre Dame happened pretty late in the game. Was it after Champs Camp? When did that icenetwork debacle go down?

vCash
    It wasn't after Champs Camp, I think it was much earlier. I'm so glad they did. Sinatra would have been

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    Do we know why D/W had to change their FD again? I got the impression from Tanith's commentary that the change from Sinatra to Notre Dame happened pretty late in the game. Was it after Champs Camp? When did that icenetwork debacle go down?
    Tanith explained it correctly. Sinatra didn't feel right and they couldn't make it work. They already had Notre Dame when IN posted the Sinatra information.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

vCash
    If the music's ability to stay stuck in the mind long after the program ends is an indication of success then M/C have a winner! Dance Esmerelda seems to be stuck on replay in my feeble mind today.

vCash
    This probably is an unpopular opinion, but I wish they would take out the rotational lift where Meryl sits on Charlie's shoulder with her arms and legs extended. That lift was so perfect for DF, it made that program. It's weird to see it in another FD, because it just reminds me of DF. It's sort of like that slide move in S&D.

vCash
    sap5, you're not alone. I adore that lift and they execute it so well, but I'd like to see another lift that will become synonymous with Notre Dame. I relate the rotational lift to DF as well. I really like all their new lifts this season, and they do have a good number of them so I understand why they stuck with one returning lift, but I definitely do agree with you.

vCash
    I'm with those who think the rotational lift needs to go. IMO, it diminishes the "wow" factor of the lift immediately preceding it, mostly due to the fact that it was a highlight of DF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    This probably is an unpopular opinion, but I wish they would take out the rotational lift where Meryl sits on Charlie's shoulder with her arms and legs extended. That lift was so perfect for DF, it made that program. It's weird to see it in another FD, because it just reminds me of DF. It's sort of like that slide move in S&D.
    I kind of agree. I actually think they should have used it in the SD instead. As I think it suits that program more. But it is a spectacular lift. I can see why they would reuse it.

vCash
    I agree too. The lift being the trademark of DF is one thing, me being against using the same lifts over and over is another. I really do not want it to become Meryl and Charlie's "goose". The main reason I hate the goose so much is that it was WAY overused. Meryl and Charlie have already used the lift in DF and Someone Like You, it's enough. Plus, like you guys say, Notre Dame needs and deserves its own trademark lift, while DF deserves to have the rotational one for itself.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    I don't think using a lift in two FD's is overusing it (I don't count exhibitions because those are always full of recycled moves). They have all new lifts except for the DF one, so I don't have a problem with it being used again. I think it's a great moment in Notre Dame with the two lifts back-to-back, and the one with Meryl standing on Charlie's leg could be the signature ND lift. If they take out the DF lift, they'd have to insert another one that has a seamless entry since there's minimal steps after the standing-on-the-leg lift. I'd hope they'd keep back-to-back lifts there because I think it's a huge emotional highlight with the music.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    It wasn't after Champs Camp, I think it was much earlier. I'm so glad they did. Sinatra would have been
    Why? I think most of Sinatra's music (well, his singing) is a hell of a lot better than the score for this piece.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chantilly View Post
    I kind of agree. I actually think they should have used it in the SD instead. As I think it suits that program more. But it is a spectacular lift. I can see why they would reuse it.
    Wasn't it in Samson & Delilah as well?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Subway View Post
    Wasn't it in Samson & Delilah as well?
    Similar, but Meryl was stretched out over her leg horizontally in S&D while she is vertical in the DF lift.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Subway View Post
    Why? I think most of Sinatra's music (well, his singing) is a hell of a lot better than the score for this piece.
    I like Sinatra and his music, but I find it zzzzzzzzz as competitive skating music. \I also think it would be too similar in style to the Shibs last 2 FDs.

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    D/W would've looked like babies trying to do Sinatra against a mature Carmen. I know the actual skating and tech scores matter way more than the program theme and music, but it would have been brutal to watch.

I'm very happy they switched to Notre Dame de Paris, although it needs some work.
    Last edited by literaryfreak; 11-01-2012 at 02:54 AM.

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Question for those who know the musical well: there are a lot of little jumps in D/W's FD, like at 2:13, 2:26, 4:48. Are these a reference to the musical somehow?

If I wanted to make the program more cohesive (choreograph-your-own-D/W! ), I would extend the 2nd piece of music and get rid of the 3rd one. Or at least fix the transition between the two. Another option could be to use Bohemienne without the vocals as the 3rd piece, since it has a similar fast Spanish gypsy section as the 2nd piece. I already know the perfect spot for the twizzles.

The choreography in the 3rd section is lacking too, like someone threw it together, when I'm sure they didn't. D/W deserve better. But Meryl and Charlie's actual skating is definitely better than ever.

Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast