Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 740 of 1004
  1. #721
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,774
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I have watched the Eurosports version this morning several times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXLGcVPYVlU

    Meryl and Charlie have done it to me again. I really didn't like this program at Skate America and thought they could do better than ND. But they have made a believer out of me. It was amazing at NHK. They are so committed to it and skated beautifully.

  2. #722
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Chipocalypse, Chicago
    Posts
    612
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I disagree, about the impact of the bells between the third song. I think it adds a dramatic effect to their movement and brings more to the story.

    That Score. 'Nuff Said.

  3. #723
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,474
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I loved the program, not saying it wasn't amazing, simply that I didn't like that bit...obviously someone liked it or they wouldn't have put it there.

  4. #724

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,866
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11372
    Nicky Slater & Simon of British Eurosport liked it
    British Eurosport
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shfVFKIbXdI&feature=plcp

    Wrap up after the FD
    Free Dance wrap up by the British Eurosport boys
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_73HimKWnyk&feature=plcp

    Nice picture in this article

    http://www.goldenskate.com/2012/11/d...at-nhk-trophy/

  5. #725
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    645
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    I kind of like her less straight position in the first lift better, but it's not that much of a difference, it's still awesome. I do like like them facing each other and how he used to push her into the circular sequence and the jump into the diagonal, but overall I much prefer the changes in the sequences so I'll take the losses.
    I agree. I like the horizontal line she creates in that first part of the lift sequence with her leg and upper body in more of a mid level arabesque- more indicative of Esmeralda dying? I also liked how he used to push her into the circular sequence and then leaned down to touch the open palm of her hand with his hand. But perhaps they were trying to change it up to get more points? I do like the new moment in the circular step towards the end in front of the judges where they both whip around and Charlie has this great weary arm position raised above his head. Their bodies are perfectly lined up at that point and it is right in time with the music.

    Either way I think they still need to work on that step sequence because the callers are still giving it a level 2.

    Overall, I think this version of the program is a vast improvement over SA.

    I especially like the rendering of the opening sequence right off the top. Before the positions looked a bit awkward and they weren't really sure why they were doing it. But now I can see they're putting a different intention and emphasis on the movement so that it really comes across as a better start for the entire program.

    Oh and I was re-watching the SD and I love after they make their bows how they turn directly into an arm and arm hold before they move off to the boards. It's just great- shows this really lovely and gracious sympathy and harmony with each other that I think typifies what I love about their relationship with each other on the ice.

  6. #726
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,474
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Nicky Slater & Simon of British Eurosport liked it
    British Eurosport
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shfVFKIbXdI&feature=plcp

    Wrap up after the FD
    Free Dance wrap up by the British Eurosport boys
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_73HimKWnyk&feature=plcp

    Nice picture in this article

    http://www.goldenskate.com/2012/11/d...at-nhk-trophy/
    Thank you! I have waiting for the British Eurosport version. I LOVE them as commentators.

  7. #727

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,866
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11372
    They like almost everybody, which is very nice to hear when you're a fan!

    And when they watch a GP with Tessa & Scott in it, they predict they will win Worlds, and now when they watch Meryl & Charlie, they predict they will win Worlds.

    but it's very nice to hear, in any case

  8. #728
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,815
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    They like almost everybody, which is very nice to hear when you're a fan!

    And when they watch a GP with Tessa & Scott in it, they predict they will win Worlds, and now when they watch Meryl & Charlie, they predict they will win Worlds.

    but it's very nice to hear, in any case
    It's because both of them do such amazing jobs whenever they compete! So the BESP commentators see the dances and are so wowed that they immediately think world champion.

  9. #729

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,866
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11372
    Yes, I think that's true. We are so fortunate to have both teams skating at the same time

  10. #730

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    getting ready to explore the world
    Posts
    3,005
    vCash
    806
    Rep Power
    11737
    Finally got to see both programs (thanks a lot, retail), and what a marked improvement in both!

    Giselle: I thought D/W looked much more comfortable here, and other than the extended lift I thought it was a great performance. Can it still get better? Absolutely. I'd still like to see them make more eye contact, and IMO there should be more choreographic touches to detail the story. The YP sequence was better in covering more ice, but they can of course get those levels up by hitting more of the key points.

    ND: I love seeing this develop-some of my favorite FDs of theirs have been the ones that have grown throughout the season. DF was special last year, but it never built anyway-it was so perfect right out the gate, and I didn't like that it didn't seem to grow over the course of the season. ND is certainly a work in progress, and it was so much better here than at SA. Again, I think they can add even more choreographic details to show the story of Esmeralda and Quasimodo-there are still some points where they just kind of grab at each other...and D/W are such great skaters, they deserve better choreo than that. I loved the changes to the step sequences, and the addition of the bells. I'd still like to see slightly more transition into some of the lifts and into the step sequences, but I really thought Alex Wong's influence was clearly present. Can they work with him again?

    General: There are some places where the leg line and posture can be improved from both Meryl and Charlie, but I still think they've done well in working on those areas. I just want them to never stop getting better

    GPF is going to be so much fun

  11. #731
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    168
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I am so in love with this FD now! I do miss some of the little things in the SA version....esp. after theyve ended and he picks her up off the ice and carries her. I really think they need to add that back!! I feel like i think this every year lol but i think this program could turn out to be one of their all time bests. Almost makes me sad they didn't save it for next season. I'm just really proud of meryl and charlie. Esp charlie bc he always seemed to me to be the one who had trouble expressing emotion on the ice. just so happy and pleased for them!

  12. #732

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    26
    Posts
    9,000
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1017
    To all the cotton-headed ninny muggins "out there" who say Meryl & Charlie can't achieve matching leg-lines.

  13. #733

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    bowing down to Robert Lepage
    Posts
    3,415
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5645
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    To all the cotton-headed ninny muggins "out there" who say Meryl & Charlie can't achieve matching leg-lines.
    M.O. for Ninny Muggins's = They think if they repeat something enough times, it will be true.
    BTW - love "cotton-headed ninny muggins"

  14. #734
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    Posts
    567
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm honestly a bit surprised Nicky Slater was back to gushing like he did in a few seasons ago! He sort of favored Tessa and Scott over the last couple of seasons. This season he seems genuinely split between the two and enthusiastic about all the programs, which is great to hear. Although they still pay very little attention to Meryl, bless 'em They're the English commentary I look forward to the most!

  15. #735

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    531
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by circuscandy View Post
    I'm honestly a bit surprised Nicky Slater was back to gushing like he did in a few seasons ago! He sort of favored Tessa and Scott over the last couple of seasons. This season he seems genuinely split between the two and enthusiastic about all the programs, which is great to hear. Although they still pay very little attention to Meryl, bless 'em They're the English commentary I look forward to the most!
    It's funny because a few seasons ago on the BBC commentary all Robin Cousins talked about was how exquisite Meryl was. Now we just need to find one that sees them both
    I'm going to twizzle into a triple axel and spiral out of it.

  16. #736
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    Posts
    567
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Robin Cousins' crush on Meryl is one of my favorite things.

  17. #737
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,474
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ambern024 View Post
    I am so in love with this FD now! I do miss some of the little things in the SA version....esp. after theyve ended and he picks her up off the ice and carries her. I really think they need to add that back!! I feel like i think this every year lol but i think this program could turn out to be one of their all time bests. Almost makes me sad they didn't save it for next season. I'm just really proud of meryl and charlie. Esp charlie bc he always seemed to me to be the one who had trouble expressing emotion on the ice. just so happy and pleased for them!
    I love the way he picks her up at SA, but I also really enjoyed the way he touched her neck and face at the end of this routine. I was subtle, which is huge for Charlie I think, but it was very romantic and I think it's smart to change it up a bit. Keep it fresh, they can save the carry move for Worlds.

  18. #738
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,474
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    It's because both of them do such amazing jobs whenever they compete! So the BESP commentators see the dances and are so wowed that they immediately think world champion.
    Lol true, they're easily whelmed. The only commentator I enjoy more is Tanith. I WISH she should would work for a country who was more consistent in actually having commentators, like Canada or the UK. Or she should replace Tracy. She's just so informative. She actually helps the watching process for people who aren't watching figure skating for the first time. She also has an opinion without being OTT biased.

    I think her and Alex Shibutani could be a dream team someday.

  19. #739
    U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Shamelessly fangirling
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,775
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5115
    Watching the gala.... they're wearing the same costumes from SA. It's just the opening introductions so far. I don't think I'll make it two hours to see them skate.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

  20. #740

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    16,691
    vCash
    450
    Rep Power
    7993
    Yeah I'm guessing SLY. I think I'll hope for a kind soul to post a video tomorrow.

    I can't believe how fast the GP went this season. I can't wait for the GPF!!

Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •