Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    I really love W&P FD program btw and her costume. I'm excited they got new lifts! I think it's a smart idea for them to run with the modern niche they're creating. It's letting them shine at what they're good at while avoiding direct comparisons. I don't like their SD music, but I think they perform it well.
    I think I would have enjoyed W/P's FD more if I hadn't seen this SYTYCD dance first (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd5tkT8EVx4). I think Allison Holker (who is a SYTYCD dancer) was highly influenced by Travis Wall's piece. Which makes me view it a bit differently. Though I love Kaitlyn's take on a "marble" costume when she herself probably couldn't be coated in powder like the two dancers were.

vCash
    I really love the FD already. I am actually glad they are going to take some time to build this program - when DF came out of the gate last year, it was already spot-perfect. There wasn't really anywhere for the program to go from there. This is going to be a lot like the tango program, I can see a lot of tweaking even from now until NHK and then throughout the year. I love the way that they are moving and I can definitely feel the improvement in their connection toward one another. I'm already excited to see it again at NHK!

On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    vCash
    Back from the arena again. Meryl and Charlie truly stole the show, at least where I was sitting. Everyone was in love with every couple, and with B/S and W/P people were getting more and more excited and emotionally invested, but when Meryl and Charlie had their turn (and got a standing o), I heard someone say that the others were great, but their FD was "electric". It had the tiny spark that the other two didn't quite have (and I really do love B/S and W/P's FDs).

Meryl and Charlie were in character from the moment they came out, to the finish and bows. The amount of stuff they have packed into it really seemed intense, at least when viewed live (I'm gong to watch it again soon). I could tell they were disappointed with the score, but this is a hugely ambitious program in a way that Die Fledermaus (which I love) was not, and I will be really excited to see how it grows. When they have it all together, it will bring down the house come Worlds.

And I love their costumes. The detail and fit on Meryl is great, so I can forgive the similar color scheme to POTO (and tango). It works perfectly. And the subtle wear and tear on Charlie's (rather comfortable-looking) costume is a useful little touch. The way his costume moves adds some abandon to the program. A great little modern twist on the two characters.

(And re: twizzles, I miss their little jump! Charlie seemed to have an easier time with them the last two seasons. I'd like to see it again, unless there is a reason why they're dropping it.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missysays View Post
    I was listening to Tanith's commentary on Icenetwork and her comment about how strategic teams have to be and show this pre-Olympic year something that will be different from next year's program- the Olympic year program. Makes me wonder what Meryl and Charlie want to show and build towards next year...
    Yes, I was listening to her comments quite closely as well since I assume she has some extra inside info that other commentators don't have. I noticed that she had to check herself at one point she said something along the lines of "when we-they were putting this program/concept together". At least it sounded like that to me. I would love to think that Meryl/Charlie already have an idea of the direction they want to go next year. It would mean that what they are working on this year would build intentionally into their Olympic programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Vegas View Post
    I really love the FD already. I am actually glad they are going to take some time to build this program - when DF came out of the gate last year, it was already spot-perfect. There wasn't really anywhere for the program to go from there. This is going to be a lot like the tango program, I can see a lot of tweaking even from now until NHK and then throughout the year.
    I agree! Although there are advantages and disadvantages to both situations. Starting strong and polished as they did with DF gives a strong and lasting positive impression of the program that can carry you far into the season. On the other hand it may begin to feel stale towards the end if it doesn't grow enough. With the tango I think we had the opposite. Not too many people loved it from the start and even though it was tweaked and improved greatly (both technically and artistcally) as the season went on, I think that a lot of people set their opinions early and let that influence their response to the program for the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by circuscandy View Post
    Back from the arena again. Meryl and Charlie truly stole the show, at least where I was sitting. Everyone was in love with every couple, and with B/S and W/P people were getting more and more excited and emotionally invested, but when Meryl and Charlie had their turn (and got a standing o), I heard someone say that the others were great, but their FD was "electric". It had the tiny spark that the other two didn't quite have (and I really do love B/S and W/P's FDs).
    Glad to hear it! It is always good to hear what the response of the crowd was like. How do you think their speed was for both programs? I know that speed is hard to judge from the screen (and even more so with choppy internet connection).

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Photos from the free dance and medal ceremony:

http://jennifercomeaux.blogspot.com/...ladies-fs.html
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jobelle View Post
    Glad to hear it! It is always good to hear what the response of the crowd was like. How do you think their speed was for both programs? I know that speed is hard to judge from the screen (and even more so with choppy internet connection).
    The SD looked very polished to me. Their speed seemed great for this early in the season. I didn't notice any lagging or slow parts, though I was at one end of the ice and maybe someone seated on the other will have spotted something I didn't.

In the FD there were parts that seemed a little slow (for them, I mean). I wish I could remember specifically where in the program, but I think it was near or around a lift or transition, something that will easily be cleaned up in weeks to come. Nothing looked labored and they seemed to really be into the program. It reminded me more of when they debuted the tango, though they certainly had control all the way through. The choreography did not ever seem to get the better of them; I think their minds were really on the emotion/connection in a big way.

vCash
    Another FD video, this one is not IN so it has less commentary. But unfortunately it's not all that clear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOi7PE9Ds4A

circuscandy, thanks so much for your live reports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Photos from the free dance and medal ceremony:

http://jennifercomeaux.blogspot.com/...ladies-fs.html
    Gosh it's great to see Ben Agosto's smiling face again! I loved it when he was the one selected to give out the medals. Meryl and Charlie looked so happy.

Also, I see that TanithandBenFan was able to snag a picture of her namesake couple. I was hoping to see a photo of the two of them maybe on Icenetwork's Behind the Scenes but apparently you got there first.

So nice to see them together again too.

vCash
    Universal Sports has it up now!

http://youtu.be/m-TLntZ0Cag

vCash
    I really loved their SD, especially the polka part at the end. It just built and built towards the end. I like their FD so far as well. It bodes well when I like programs as soon as i see them, and this year I like both programs right away. I didn't like their SD last year so I"m happy to see one I love right away.

vCash
    Ben Agosto is one handsome man.

Also, thanks, circuscandy for your live experience. So glad to know the audience was loving it!
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Exhibition is still 'Someone Like You', but Meryl's got a new yellow dress.

vCash
    Just back from the exhibition. If you got to your seat early, there was an extra plus for Meryl & Charlie fans. Someone (USFS?) had put together what they called a "director's cut" of Meryl & Charlie's Olympic experience. They showed pretty much all of the SD & FD on the jumbotron with Meryl and Charlie talking about what they were feeling at each point in the 2 programs. Lots of fun and a great memory! I hope it will show up on youtube or IN; I'd like to see it all again.
    Last edited by DORISPULASKI; 10-22-2012 at 05:59 AM.

vCash
    After watching the FD again, one thing I'd like to see is more gypsy flavor- that first music change for the diagonal SS is supposed to be a gypsy piece, IIRC? So I'd just like to see that brought out more.

It's not a perfect FD yet, but I like that. I'm really excited to see it grow throughout the season, I think it has more to develop in it than DF did.

ETA: I'd also like to see the choreography adjusted a bit to include more intimacy-one thing that has always bothered me is that the steps aren't choreographed to really enhance opportunities for Meryl and Charlie to actually, really look at each other. I do like the change of hand holds in the SS, but I feel they should still face each other more.
    Last edited by lmarie086; 10-22-2012 at 05:18 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by circuscandy View Post
    Exhibition is still 'Someone Like You', but Meryl's got a new yellow dress.
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Just back from the exhibition. If you got to your seat early, there was an extra plus for Meryl & Charlie fans. Someone (USGS?) had put together what they called a "director's cut" of Meryl & Charlie's Olympic experience. They showed pretty much all of the SD & FD on the jumbotron with Meryl and Charlie talking about what they were feeling at each point in the 2 programs. Lots of fun and a great memory! I hope it will show up on youtube or IN; I'd like to see it all again.
    Any pre/post program choreography.

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    Any pre/post program choreography.

Sources on twitter say Meryl did the Gangnam style dance at some point during the gala.

Also, thank you circuscandy! I didn't realize Charlie's shirt was slightly beat up - it looked like a normal black sweater on the video. This is why live reports are so helpful!
    Last edited by literaryfreak; 10-22-2012 at 05:32 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post
    Sources on twitter say Meryl did the Gangnam style dance at some point during the gala.
    I can't say YES SHE DID emphatically enough. When they were introducing the champions with Gangnam Style playing. She and Charlie were in the stands near me and I wish I had been better prepared to capture it on film. It is destined for gifdom. Girl got down while Charlie stood by, looking scholarly in his glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Just back from the exhibition. If you got to your seat early, there was an extra plus for Meryl & Charlie fans. Someone (USGS?) had put together what they called a "director's cut" of Meryl & Charlie's Olympic experience. They showed pretty much all of the SD & FD on the jumbotron with Meryl and Charlie talking about what they were feeling at each point in the 2 programs. Lots of fun and a great memory! I hope it will show up on youtube or IN; I'd like to see it all again.
    I LOVED this. I was so not expecting it. I also hope it shows up online. Meryl and Charlie remarking on the 'twinkle in the eye' commentary was adorable.

vCash
    I just read the FD thread. Ouch they were brutal.

It's a good thing the audience in the arena liked the program.

vCash
    Yeah I can't read forums like that. It's one thing to simply not like something because it doesn't suit your tastes...and it's another to just be vicious. Some people get off on negativity and mocking. I just don't get it. It's like, I'm sorry are you a World class skater putting all your time, money, effort, and hopes into making a program? Yeah, I didn't think so.

vCash
    Hmm...maybe it's a good thing I don't have access to the competition threads...

Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast