Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    Thanks so much for taking the time to post this for us.

I'm curious - who was the other couple where the guy has on a gray shirt and the girl had long blond hair. They seemed to repeatedly get in the way of where D-W wanted to be, even making them abort one move.
    That was Bobrova and Soloviev

vCash
    I love that Meryl and Charlie made the polka the highlight of the dance! Not very many of the other couples do that. They not only build up to it but they built through it! I cannot wait to see how this continues to develop over the season! Well done to them and I really respect their courage at taking on a concept that is such a departure from what they have been like as a team up until this point.

ETA: found a better quality video without commentary
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf9Xe...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by jobelle; 10-21-2012 at 02:12 AM.

vCash
    That lift at the end was a hot mess, but I love this SD. The ballet elements are ridiculously charming. I can only imagine the hours of work they put into this program. So happy the judges rewarded them accordingly. Great start to the season!

vCash
    As someone who likes Meryl and Charlie, but is not a real fan, I can say this without remorse. I really, really like the SD - it's light and fun, and intricate, as others have written. But, because it's quite balletic, it also really shows that Meryl is not a ballerina - her leg lines are far from balletic. Also - the costumes are nice, but they are a bit too "Disney" 'Giselle' for my taste. I hope that there will be different costumes for this dance.

As for Meryl's FD dress - I truly like it, but would also love to see a similar dress in a different (not any shade of red/purple) colour. Emerald green, as others have mentioned, would be great.
    Last edited by lauravvv; 10-21-2012 at 06:40 AM.

vCash
    Love this SD, and can't wait to see it continue to grow through the season! They definitely seem to relate more, but I think they can take it even further- I'd like to see them push that even further. D/W also seem to be skating closer together here, and I'd hazard as to guess that's why they looked a bit slower than normal, as that will be a bit of an adjustment.

I think this will be a strong piece for them, especially by Worlds.

ETA: I do think the leg lines have room to be improved here, but again, it's only the start of the season. They can make it happen, I believe in them.
    Last edited by lmarie086; 10-21-2012 at 07:11 AM.

vCash
    My brother was getting married during the SD so I'm not exactly in a skating headspace but I did watch the SD wuickly. I'm going to need to rewatch to see more what I feel about it (which I don't have time for because post wedding brunch in 7 hours) but, from an overall feeling standpoint, this was exactly what I was hpoing we'd get. Charming, energetic, spirited, and adorable. I love the costumes!

Can't wait to see all of Notre Dame tomorrow and on a real computer instead of my phone!

vCash
    As a ballet dancer, I love how light Meryl is...she's never had that problem, but I'd like to see more pointed toes and moving their arms across their body (port de bras), even if that means omitting some of the choreo. She has a dancers build and I think they have the skill to make it even more of a Ballet on ice. Overall though I was delighted and impressed. Way to keep moving up!

vCash
    One thing they might need to do even before sharpening arm and toe movements is working on moving the pattern out more so it really reaches from end to end as well as hitting the y/n areas in the polka. That will solidify their point total when they have to compete against V/M.

vCash
    The more I watch the SD the more I love it. I know they will get much more comfortable as the season goes and can give even more expression as well as getting the levels on the YP. Very happy with their first score, though! I'm so impressed at how they have stretched themselves, as Tanith said in the commentary, 5 years ago you wouldn't have thought they could do ballet on the ice (and god knows it's very difficult for ANY team). The one thing that has always impressed me about Meryl and Charlie is how they recognize their weaknesses and strive to improve on them. Long ago I stopped worrying about the negative comments about them on this forum, there are always going to be those who dislike them and will say anything to discredit their accomplishments. As far as ubers go, it accomplishes nothing to hate on a team that threatens your own favorite instead of enjoying the team that you love. I'm glad the posters on this thread don't waste a lot of time putting down other teams. It's not for me to try and convince anyone on which skaters they should like no matter what the reasons. Skating fans are very often subjective about their opinion of skaters, that's for sure. Even the judges with their knowledge of what to judge for are swayed here and there by the intangible qualities, they are human after all. I say all this because I know that this season leading up to Olympic season will be important and I expect the haters and ubers to be in full battle mode which is always hard for me to read. And I am aware of the ignore feature! I'm just going to enjoy Meryl and Charlie as I always do. They continue to exceed my expectations in every way
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missysays View Post
    One thing they might need to do even before sharpening arm and toe movements is working on moving the pattern out more so it really reaches from end to end as well as hitting the y/n areas in the polka. That will solidify their point total when they have to compete against V/M.
    I'm not too worried about it or I find it pointless to think about. That's a tech thing and I'm sure they'll get better at it. I also think this is a CD that VM will not have the advantage. I'm thinking about what changes I'd like to see as a viewer for my enjoyment...not that I don't want them to succeed.
    Last edited by Jessiebanana; 10-21-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missysays View Post
    I think this has been a weakness of theirs for a while, that they tend to have smaller CD patterns. I remember people commenting on this their first year as seniors and from those who attended Worlds last season. I wonder if being a relatively short team has something to do with it. Regardless, I agree, can't give the judges any reason to place them #2!

vCash
    The first thing to get in an SD pattern dance is the levels. The GOE is not as big a point difference as just getting the levels. And to get the levels this year, the timing as well as step correctness, is necessary. They got all Y's on one of the two sequences, so it's not like the 2nd key point that all the dancers were only getting- very intermittently last year; they can get these 6 keypoints for the Yankee.

Just possibly a little tweaking is needed on how they start the YP here, since their second sequence was better than the first?

When they're getting all 6 points on both sequences is the time to get more over the ground speed in the pattern, which is of course, what makes the pattern bigger. Getting a GOE of +3 on a YP sequence where you hit zero key points does not score well at all.

Check the protocols

4YP1 or 4YP2 with all 3 key points hit is 7.00 base. Doing it with all +3's only buys you an additional 1.5 points = 8.5 points maximum.
    3YP1 or 3YP2 with 2 key points hit is 6.00 base. With all +3's is 7.5 points
    2YP1 or 2YP2 with one key point hit is 5.00 base. +3's on that again is an additional 1.5 points = 6.5 points maximum
    1YP1 or 1YP2 with no key points hit is 3.00 base (Z&G had one sequence with no key points)= 4.5 max.

If you miss all the key points due to timing problems (easy to do if over pushing for speed in as quick tempo'd a dance as the YP) your max score is 4.5 (and if your timing is glaringly bad, you won't get +3 from judges, nor should you. You probably get the base value at best). If you do the YP correctly and on time, but not particularly outstanding pattern size, worst case would be the base level of 7. So it's clear where teams should put their emphasis, even though old style CD judging gave more credit to pattern size and character of the dance, today that isn't how it's done. Chances are, if you had great polka character with a small, utterly correct pattern with perfect timing throughout, you might get +1, and so 7.5, or 0, and so 7. So you would be risking 4 points for a gain of no more than a point, point and a half. Not a good bet for any team to make.

vCash
    I think this is the first SD that I've truly loved right off the bat. It looks like they are having fun. Meryl looks so charming in the blue dress. I loved how the whole program flowed.

vCash
    Thank you, Doris, for your informative post. It helps tremendously to understand the way CoP works, I think that's a large problem with many posters on here especially if they are long time skating fans. Skating has changed and if you aren't on board with that, it can be as frustrating to understand the judging in the same way it used to be with the ordinal system. And ice dance especially has changed. It's easy to be quick to criticize but if you aren't understanding what the skaters are doing based on what is needed for the points, then your criticism is pointless. I'm using "you" to refer to the collective posting on this forum, or any forum.

vCash
    See I can be told that. I even have a book of the patterns, but there is no way I can process that while watching them skate. I'll just have to do with my pointless opinions.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    My photos from Sunday dance practice:

http://jennifercomeaux.blogspot.com/...-practice.html
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    As a ballet dancer, I love how light Meryl is...she's never had that problem, but I'd like to see more pointed toes and moving their arms across their body (port de bras), even if that means omitting some of the choreo. She has a dancers build and I think they have the skill to make it even more of a Ballet on ice. Overall though I was delighted and impressed. Way to keep moving up!
    I too love how light Meryl looks across the ice, like a ballerina, whenever a program allows for it. Like in that Nutcracker exhibition from years ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    Also - the costumes are nice, but they are a bit too "Disney" 'Giselle' for my taste. I hope that there will be different costumes for this dance.

As for Meryl's FD dress - I truly like it, but would also love to see a similar dress in a different (not any shade of red/purple) colour. Emerald green, as others have mentioned, would be great.
    Their costumes are pretty close to the ballet Giselle costumes used in the first act. I think the blue dress is probably the most popular of Giselle.
    Her: http://thedailyballet.tumblr.com/pos...e-mikhailovsky
    Both: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc...01ko1_1280.jpg
    Nothing Disney about it, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    As a ballet dancer, I love how light Meryl is...she's never had that problem, but I'd like to see more pointed toes and moving their arms across their body (port de bras), even if that means omitting some of the choreo.
    I didn't see anything "wrong" with their arm movements or choreography; I also think an ice dance program cannot be compared with a ballet choreography per se as there're the danceholds etc which have to be considered. And if they omitted choreography they would loose transitions.
    Personally, I find their dance very well choreographed, actually, and very complete.

I love how light their dance is and how they capture the playful mood of Giselle at the beginning of the ballet! I also love their music choices. It probably just became my favorite SD of theirs and it's only the beginning of the season!
    Last edited by ballettmaus; 10-21-2012 at 07:00 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    Their costumes are pretty close to the ballet Giselle costumes used in the first act. I think the blue dress is probably the most popular of Giselle.
    Her: http://thedailyballet.tumblr.com/pos...e-mikhailovsky
    Both: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc...01ko1_1280.jpg
    Nothing Disney about it, in my opinion.

I didn't see anything "wrong" with their arm movements or choreography; I also think an ice dance program cannot be compared with a ballet choreography per se as there're the danceholds etc which have to be considered. And if they omitted choreography they would loose transitions.
    Personally, I find their dance very well choreographed, actually, and very complete.

I love how light their dance is and how they capture the playful mood of Giselle at the beginning of the ballet! I also love their music choices. It probably just became my favorite SD of theirs and it's only the beginning of the season!
    It's just my opinion, I'm in no way saying it's fact. Also I'm not saying they should greatly lower any difficulty...simply to maybe allow the time to finish movements, if that's the reason. It may not be the reason at all. It could just be the start of the season and they haven't perfected the performance. It's such a great performance that it feels like you're looking at the end of the season.

vCash
    LoL, just wanted to pop in and say I'm loving Tanith talking about the technical aspect of ice dance and how to help viewers understand what the judges are looking for.

Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast