Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missysays View Post
    I think you were able to articulate exactly what I was feeling. And I didn't even like POTO all that much the first time around. The problem for me is that it's not only a little bit of POTO pt 2 but sonically it evokes W/P's FD from last year. Meryl is even wearing a burgundy spaghetti strap dress like Kaitlyn was wearing last year.
    Meryl's costume does remind me of Weaver's. It makes me think of the POTO costume a little bit too - burgundy with a corseted-looking (?) bodice.

ETA: Meryl's hair is a bit POTO-like as well, the way it whips around.
    Last edited by literaryfreak; 10-20-2012 at 07:17 AM.

On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    vCash
    The variety in Meryl's costumes has sort of taken a hit over the last three seasons. She wears beautiful things but three purple dresses with a similar silhouette in a row (I initially thought her DF purple dress was her Golden Waltz compulsory dress until I paid closer attention to the color/details), as well as three burgundy/red dresses (POTO/tango/this) in a row do end up running together. Their earliest senior costumes had the most interest when compared with these later costumes.

Again, these costumes are all lovely, but I do get excited to see what the teams will wear and how creative they get, and it's always a slight shame that there isn't more contrast from Meryl between one season and the next. Still, I don't hate it (and I didn't even think of W&P until it was mentioned here).

But I reckon the more important thing is the strength of the actual program and I should be grateful for what it seems we're going to be delivered this year.

vCash
    Meryl's dress is very red, when viewed in proper lighting: http://photography.ice-dance.com/2012-13/12SA/DPractF/

She changes it up a lot, however. I wouldn't be surprised if we see 3-4 different dresses from here again this season, lol.

vCash

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    We will. I think it was the aborted lift in the practice vid from the near collision. Charlie looked like he was going into the spread eagle and Meryl was preparing to be lifted when they had to stop. It looks amazing! I loved all their lifts, especially the first one. Still can't get over how improved Charlie looks...his flow and blade work look wonderful. Maturity and experience bring a whole new dimension to skaters you watch grow from young skaters to older skaters!
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    I agree. It looks to me like it will be a combined lift, straightline in that position plus the rotational lift from last season.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkFeathers View Post
    Meryl's dress is very red, when viewed in proper lighting: http://photography.ice-dance.com/2012-13/12SA/DPractF/

She changes it up a lot, however. I wouldn't be surprised if we see 3-4 different dresses from here again this season, lol.
    It didn't look that red in person. It was more burgundy than red - very close to the color of the POTO dress.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    That's the one they had to abort because of Bobrova/Soloviev. Thanks a lot, B/S!
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    charlie does show more subtle movements in this dance which enhance his expression.

vCash
    Oh god! It has to be a combo lift, or some really quick footwork, and it's going to be awesome. I'm so excited! I have a feeling this is going to be one of my favorite FD ever! If it was that red it would be nice.

More variety in color would be preferable, to be honest I was so distracted by the quality of movement I didn't actually hone in on her costume. I loved the blue dress last year and would pray every competition that she would wear it for DF. I think an emerald green would work nicely for this dance *but* ironically I sort of love the mood the burgundy sets.

Weird, but I kind of like the exposed tummy thing Charlie has going on...it works. I'm just so proud of him though. The beautiful lines he's getting with his back and following through with his legs is really just...so much more. If they can match their expression to their athleticism, they could be epic. Truly epic. I hope they keep skating until they peak, even if that's post Sochi.
    Last edited by Jessiebanana; 10-20-2012 at 04:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    I can't help but thinking about Charlie's hair being as long as Gwendal's! But I figure if he didn't grow it that long for Samson, he won't here!

ETA: I like your comment about the diagonal, literaryfreak. I agree that it may be stronger having it in the front of the program. It's a great step sequence from what I've seen and I also like where the circular step is in the music.
    I don't know...Charlie is obviously bringing a whole new level of commitment. In my mind that means MORE HAIR!!!
    It is a bit scary when you think of how blind they skate sometimes with all that hair in the way.

vCash
    i do agree that charlie is showing more extension in this program. i just wish that whoever choregraphed their program would give more space (even in this day and age of CoP) in their programs that would allow d/w to hold their positions just a bit longer, especially their arm and leg positions. it would make them look less frenetic (to which i admit that d/w still do) and more controlled. i know people will hold it as d/w having more abandon, but i believe that that expression of abandon would be magnified by having some control in it.

vCash
    That might actually happen zilam98. They often uncomplicate their programs a bit. It was very necessary for their tango...which was still crazy difficult. I reserve judgement until I see the entire program, but I actually thought they had a lot of nice holds and extensions that have been missing from their programs. Control is hard to judge in a run through IMO.

vCash
    Noticed this quote from Meryl yesterday at http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2012/...merica-friday/

“We’ve been through a lot this season,” Davis said. “We’re trying to stand together both on and off the ice. We want to look like a unit when we step out onto the ice and we want everyone to take notice of that as soon as they see us, as soon as our names are called.”
    I don't think it has been discussed here?

Anyways, I think this quote connects the dots a little bit between their more intimate on-ice look when they aren't actually skating in the practice run-through, and their comments about increased connection that they gave during the teleconference.

It makes sense to me. If one of the focuses of this year's FD is on emotion and connection (with each other and the audience) then it would make sense that they would want to stay in that headspace and continue to create that mood even during the practice run-through. I certainly noticed it and it makes me excited to see what might go into those "blank" spaces in the actual FD.

vCash
    http://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/s...951296/photo/1

Meryl and Charlie's polka costumes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymgr View Post

O this is not good. D-W copy T-S again

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymgr View Post

All sorts of adorable! I'm so excited...I just want the women to be over.

vCash
    So worth the wait! Thanks Meryl and Charlie.

vCash
    Love the new SD!!

Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast