Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Some positive hearsay I received: In a recent training session with Arutunian, Rippon reportedly "looked very focused and his jumps all looked very solid including the 3A." Sounds encouraging and I hope it will carry over to competition this season.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    After all the "doom and gloom"/writing off Adam as a contender, it's great to hear some good news!

vCash
    Nathan Chen just scored 75.15 for his SP in his JGP debut, so maybe he really can offer Adam advice and be a good training partner. I imagine his 3a must be pretty good to garner such a score as a newcomer at an international junior event. Raffael knows what he's doing, so I hope Adam will find something that works so he can stay put for awhile.

vCash
    You can watch Nathan's SP with the triple axel as his opening jump on youtube. It's on the isujgp youtube page.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I think Adam can offer Nathan advice, too. However, both will likely follow Arutunian's advice above all.

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticHaze View Post
    You can watch Nathan's SP with the triple axel as his opening jump on youtube. It's on the isujgp youtube page.
    For those who don't have access to the Kiss and Cry section (where this competition is being discussed in the JGP Austria thread), the link is posted in the TV Alerts forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84703
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I think Adam can offer Nathan advice, too.
    Nah. Nathan has Asian hair. The last thing he needs is advice on how to straighten his hair or how to keep it curly and Shirley Temple's cute.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    If your technique is good, you don't need a lot of power and strength.

Jumps are all about good use of edges and correct timing
    It takes athletic ability as well. Skaters don't go to the gym and train off-ice for no reason. If you are pre-pubescent you might get by on quick rotation alone, but he isn't.

vCash
    what else will these help him other than his axels ?
    I dont' know much about Arturyan other than a few of his coaching students careers, can someone give me a brief

vCash
    Some positive hearsay I received: In a recent training session with Arutunian, Rippon reportedly "looked very focused and his jumps all looked very solid including the 3A." Sounds encouraging and I hope it will carry over to competition this season.
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    After all the "doom and gloom"/writing off Adam as a contender, it's great to hear some good news!

vCash
    Good for Goldilocks (no more). Sounds like it's paying off. Good luck Adam. You can do it.

vCash
    Adam, time to consider that your coach might not be the problem.

vCash
    ^^ Mightn't it just be time to lay off gnawing the bone re Adam's "problems" and perhaps work on considering our own individual mundane weaknesses and possibilities for improvement.

No? Oh well, I guess telling skaters where they err and what they are doing wrong is just so much more fun.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    I assume power related to leg/quad muscles, not so much upper body strength.
    In addition to technique, of course, it is mostly a question of strength to weight ratio. It is a lot easier to rotate jumps when you are small and easier to get height when you are light.

Hanyu has such a consistent 3A? Or the young junior skaters like Boyang Jin?
    Hanyu is only 18 and Jin is only 15. Neither of them has the body they will have at 23 -shoulders get wider, torsos get thicker. Folks tend to think of the puberty monster as something girls deal with, but physical maturation also affects guys, just a bit later. Who knows, by the time their bodies mature, those 3As may have gone the way of Lambiel's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ^^ Mightn't it just be time to lay off gnawing the bone re Adam's "problems" and perhaps work on considering our own individual mundane weaknesses and possibilities for improvement.

No? Oh well, I guess telling skaters where they err and what they are doing wrong is just so much more fun.
    That sums it up.

I took away from that article that he was being accountable and wasn't passing blame on anyone. I was glad to read one thing that he tried out with Arutyunyan before he moved out there. AFAIK that was not the case here at DSC. I remember he was only working with Pasquale on programs at the time the change was published. It was before he even had a lesson with Jason or Yuka. I aways thought that was strange.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Duh.

Not to mention, this is Figure Skating Universe. Not [Random Poster] Universe. We come here to talk about figure skating, not engage in naval gazing. (Well, I do anyway.)
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    ^^ Sure, sure. But some of the constant critiques are just so redundant and presumptuous. I appreciate reading constructive criticism and interesting takes (such as those about the physical/ technical requirements involved in jumping) more than snarky comments telling skaters they are the source of all their "problems."

Paying attention to and taking care of one's own life (when not posting on FSU ) is not a call for "navel-gazing," IMO. But carry on everyone so desirous of either "navel-gazing" or telling skaters what their problems are exactly.

vCash
    Yes, well. Most of us "take care of our own life" away from FSU so you should probably assume that most of us are all set with that since you have no evidence to the contrary.

No one is forcing you to read anyone else's comments. You are free to skip the ones that don't please you.

vCash
    ^^ Duh. Goes without saying. And the same goes for all.

I certainly feel free to read comments as well as post comments. Sometimes I agree with other posters, and sometimes not. Whether or not I am pleased or pissed is entirely beside the point.

Good luck to you Adam!

vCash
    Shocking news. wow. I have to trust in team Adam though that they know what is best for him. This season is going to be a a hard one for any of the men with the return of Johnny and Evan PLUS all the other men who are proving to be serious contenders. With only 2 spots for the world team warming up to an Olympic season Adam HAS to have a break out season.
    Maybe it became too difficult to skate alongside Jeremy seeing how they are such good friends. I can totally see how that would get hard for both of them, Jeremy is Adams competitor and maybe Adam had to separate himself from DSC to focus and work on his jumps. I don't know, I am babbling.
    I hope this proves to be a good move for Adam. Lake Arrowhead is a great facility, I remember some other great skater trained there, but I can't recall her name.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverkwanfan View Post
    I hope this proves to be a good move for Adam. Lake Arrowhead is a great facility, I remember some other great skater trained there, but I can't recall her name.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast