Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I guess I am an in the minority, but I think this may be a good move for Adam. Rafael is a good strong technical coach which can only help Adam.

Some skaters may thrive in a camp with as many strong skaters as Sato/Dungjen have, but I can also see how some skaters may feel they need they have to be at the top of their game every day and feel overwhelmed.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Article with quotes from Rippon: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpts:
    Over the years, Rippon has trained with several different coaches and realized that he had the most success under a more aggressive, hands-on coaching style and felt that Arutunian could offer this.
    Rippon also said that Arutunian thought it was essential to enlist the advice of Olympic and world coach, Frank Carroll, because they had collaborated successfully in the past and his evaluation and input could be very helpful.

"I spoke with Mr. Carroll, and he was very supportive about my move to Arrowhead and said that he would meet with Rafael and me to offer advice and assist with my progress," Rippon said.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I'm very hopeful for Adam.
    Advice and counsel from Frank seems a wise move.

vCash
    I feel this tells the tale.
    "I made many improvements while skating with Jason and Yuka and learned a lot about myself," Rippon said. "No matter how I skated or what the result, they always encouraged me to see some level of satisfaction in my effort. They pushed me to identify my weaknesses and to be honest about what I really felt was lacking in my training."

Over the years, Rippon has trained with several different coaches and realized that he had the most success under a more aggressive, hands-on coaching style and felt that Arutunian could offer this.
    Basically they told him that success had to come from within, he needed to be more self motivated. So he decided to look for more of a babysitter.

And I'm so sure that orser coached an oly and world champ and sato a nat champ by being "hands off".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    I'm an uber and all that but at some point, you have to look at the common denominator. I really hope this works out for him but it doesn't look especially good.
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    ITA.
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    If you don't have a 3A in juniors, it's probably not going to happen in seniors. I'd like to be wrong, but I'm betting I'm not. There aren't going to be many more "next seasons" for Adam to get it together. I fear the same will be the case for Kozuka.
    I agree with all of you. I am an uber - but the 3A seems to be a mental block for him. At some point in time he either gets it or moves on.

I would love to see him do something way different for him - not lyrical but edgy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    And I'm so sure that orser coached an oly and world champ and sato a nat champ by being "hands off".
    Well, to be fair, I think that he basically meant that he was the most successful while working with Morozov, and you don't get a more "hands on" approach than that.

I'm really sorry, I couldn't resist.

vCash
    I think his problem is physical not mental. He just isn't powerful enough to get around more than 3 times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    I think his problem is physical not mental. He just isn't powerful enough to get around more than 3 times.
    Rumor has it that that is exactly what Orser thought but Adam wouldn't listen. Maybe Adam has matured and is now ready to listen and learn. Sometimes it is not so much who the coach is as whether or not the athlete has reached a point where they are really ready to listen and do as they are told. Let's hope Adam is now at that point.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    I'm also concerned about all the changes, but still wishing Adam the very best!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    If power is the issue, then how come Hanyu has such a consistent 3A? Or the young junior skaters like Boyang Jin?
    Last edited by mathil; 09-12-2012 at 08:11 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mathil View Post
    If power is the issue, then how come Hanyu has such a consistent 3A?
    I assume power related to leg/quad muscles, not so much upper body strength.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    I love Adam to pieces. Hope that this works out for him.
    Me too. I like what Rafael did with Jeff Buttle and his 3/Axel

vCash
    Well, sounds like someone is closer to realizing that THEY are the problem.

vCash
    If power is the issue, then how come Hanyu has such a consistent 3A? Or the young junior skaters like Boyang Jin?
    Hanyu has great speed and very pure technique. Certainly, there are plenty of slight skaters capable of landing 3a and quads consistently. Brezina and Farris are examples of skaters with beautiful 3a jumps, also capable of landing quads, that aren't big muscly guys but if you notice they don't hestitate before going into the jump but rather fling themselves into it, so they don't have to be super strong/muscular to get the jump around and land it. But for someone like Adam who skates fairly slowly, doesn't have the strongest jump technique, and tends to stalk his jump entrances, getting these jumps around and landed can become more a factor of muscling them out, which someone who is built like Adam isn't as capable of doing compared to some other skaters who are noticeably strong/muscular in their build like Joubert, VanDerPerren, etc, who can usually land the big jumps without a perfect takeoff or a lot of speed going in.

vCash
    Adam used the summer to build muscle and strength. He said it helped with his jumps.

vCash
    Maybe because his timing is pretty great or because he's scrawny...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Hanyu has great speed and very pure technique. Certainly, there are plenty of slight skaters capable of landing 3a and quads consistently. Brezina and Farris are examples of skaters with beautiful 3a jumps, also capable of landing quads, that aren't big muscly guys but if you notice they don't hestitate before going into the jump but rather fling themselves into it, so they don't have to be super strong/muscular to get the jump around and land it. But for someone like Adam who skates fairly slowly, doesn't have the strongest jump technique, and tends to stalk his jump entrances, getting these jumps around and landed can become more a factor of muscling them out, which someone who is built like Adam isn't as capable of doing compared to some other skaters who are noticeably strong/muscular in their build like Joubert, VanDerPerren, etc, who can usually land the big jumps without a perfect takeoff or a lot of speed going in.
    I understand now, thanks! Orser's approach was quite sensible, then. If he'd stayed with him he might have already solved the issue, but then Adam was younger and likely, less patient... he appears to have learned now. Let's hope it all turns out well for him and that he doesn't change coaches again if this season doesn't go as well as he wants... he needs to settle down until at least Sochi, IMO.

vCash
    ^^ There were some other issues that cropped up with Orser (not sure what it stemmed from but Orser seemed impatient with Adam in the kiss 'n cry during their last season together, and Adam seemed embarrassed and uneasy). From the IN article quotes, Adam apparently is crediting Yuka and Jason for what he learned under their tutelage, and he has decided to move on in order to continue improving, and hopefully he will slay the specter of Axel Paulsen.

Hey, numbers123, didn't you read the early summer IN article about Adam working with Michael Seibert on a new, edgy fp with a "Mad Men" type theme? That is likely why Adam has eliminated his "Angel" curls -- in order to depart from a soft, lyrical persona. Great for Adam to do whatever works that allows him to find his own identity on the ice and fully express himself, rather than how others see him.

Adam, I will always looove you! Work hard in sunny California. Go get 'em!

vCash
    Adam is the total skater, IMO. I want nothing more than to see him succeed and make the Worlds team this season.

KEEP THE CURLS, ADAM!!!

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Adam is the total skater, IMO. I want nothing more than to see him succeed and make the Worlds team this season.

KEEP THE CURLS, ADAM!!!
    ^

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast