Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

U.S. Men 2012-13 pre-season news & updates

Here's a new article on 2012 US junior silver medalist Timothy Dolensky who will make his senior debut this summer (SP at Broadmoor Open in June and both programs at Skate Detroit in July): http://www.goldenskate.com/2012/05/d...inue-windfall/
    Dolensky will also make his season debut while in Colorado Springs, once again competing in the Broadmoor Open in the middle of June.

“I’ll only be competing my short program this season,” he said. “I’ll be using an instrumental version of Beyond the Sea. It’s kind of jazzy, and is definitely outside of the box for me.”

Dolensky will also compete at the end of July at Skate Detroit, deviating from his usual schedule of competing at the Liberty Summer Competition.

“I want to try something new this summer, and so we’ve decided to go to Detroit instead. I will skate both of my programs there,” he said.

When he’s not training, Dolensky is focusing on his studies at Kennesaw State University.
    (ETA: Just noticed the pun in the article's title - "Windfall" was the title of his self-composed SP.)

Practice clip of Armin Mahbanoozadeh's quad toe loop from late April: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjY4zaWW244

Richard Dornbush tweeted this practice clip of his quad toe last week: http://v.coachseye.com/i9AX
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-13-2012 at 03:39 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Sean Rabbitt put his upcoming schedule on his website:

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/s...tt/events.html

July 12-15, 2012
    Los Angeles Open
    Burbank, CA

July 21, 2012
    An Evening On Ice
    El Sagundo, CA

August 3-5, 2012
    Glacier Falls Open
    Anaheim, CA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Here's a new article on 2012 US junior silver medalist Timothy Dolensky who will make his senior debut this summer (SP at Broadmoor Open in June and both programs at Skate Detroit in July): http://www.goldenskate.com/2012/05/d...inue-windfall/

(ETA: Just noticed the pun in the article's title - "Windfall" was the title of his self-composed SP.)

Practice clip of Armin Mahbanoozadeh's quad toe loop from late April: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjY4zaWW244

Richard Dornbush tweeted this practice clip of his quad toe last week: http://v.coachseye.com/i9AX
    Wow! Happy for Richard! I can't watch the clip, so how did it look?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Wow! Happy for Richard! I can't watch the clip, so how did it look?
    Very effortless-looking, with good flow out on the landing. Did you hit the play arrow button on the bottom left corner of the video?

Ross Miner, Keegan Messing (S7), and Harrison Choate (J4) are 3 of the Senior men registered to compete at Liberty in July.

Ross Miner, Stephen Carriere and Harrison Choate excerpts from the SC of Boston's "Ice Chips" show article (dated April 2, 2012 - blog article link is posted in the Ice Chips show thread):
    "I didn't take a vacation," he [Miner] said. "I get bored if I don't skate. I'm going to Hawaii with Maia [Shibutani} and Alex Shibutani in May. I'm probably going to come back looking like a rock lobster, but I'm OK with it."

We asked Miner what he has been working on since Four Continents.

"We haven't been working on anything too specific program-wise," he said. "Transitions and steps. We've been playing Iron Chef -- Mark [Mitchell] gives me a couple of steps and I'd have to work them into whatever I was doing. I did a twizzle, rocker and choctaw, in any order, into and out of triple Lutz. I was Iron Chef America, by the way."

"I think I'm going to get two new programs," he said. "We're not totally sure yet. And obviously a new short."
    Carriere is taking three classes at Boston College this semester, including an all-day Saturday class, which meant he had to miss the afternoon "Ice Chips" show. He's taking a theology class, a philosophy class about marriage and family, and an introductory writing class.

"I'm a business major," he said. "I believe I'm a beginning junior, but somehow I dodged Intro to Writing. It's one of those moments where I go back to basics. I thought I was a good writer!
    Choate, the U.S. junior pewter medalist, has been accepted to Dartmouth College. It's a family tradition, as his father and grandfather are Dartmouth alumni. Choate must now decide whether to defer for a year and continue to compete.
    Harrison Choate has decided to defer college for a year and continue competing -- he is hoping for a JGP assignment and already has tested up to Senior in the US.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-20-2012 at 03:26 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Harrison Choate has decided to defer college for a year and continue competing -- he is hoping for a JGP assignment and already has tested up to Senior in the US.
    Sounds a lot like Armin. Wasn't there someone else who deferred Dartmouth for skating? Getting to/from New Hanover just about puts the kibosh on serious competitive skating, imo.

vCash
    Choate, the U.S. junior pewter medalist, has been accepted to Dartmouth College. It's a family tradition, as his father and grandfather are Dartmouth alumni. Choate must now decide whether to defer for a year and continue to compete.
    I wonder if the Choate dorms are named after them?
    Creating drama!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    I wonder if the Choate dorms are named after them?
    Or, Choate-Rosemary Hall?

vCash
    Would love to see Keegan and Ross at Liberty, but that is a little out of reach for me. Wonder if Keegan is going to Skate Detroit this year? He did Liberty and Detroit last year to get his programs in front of judges with just one trip to the lower 48. He was such a nice young man, I enjoyed meeting him.

Looking forward to seeing the summer comps!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    GP Initial Assignments -- Thanks to Sylvia for posting the links in the GP Announcement Thread

Two: Abbott (USA/France), Miner (Canada/Japan), Rippon (China/Japan), Dornbush (Russia/Japan), Weir (Russia/France)

One: Razzano (USA)
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    WHYY is Farris not doing GP? Isn't his goal to go to 2014 Olympics? Doesn't he know his score from JW is high enough to be medaling at senior GP events? That it is about as high or higher than the SB of some of the "top" US senior men (Miner, Rippon, Dornbush...). He already has 3a. This will be his 5th season on JGP...

Ditto for Brown. Though it makes a little more sense for him because he hasn't tried 3a in competition yet and he said in an article a season or two back he wasn't going to rush to seniors internationally (just like Lysacek didn't ).

In any event, JGP should at least be exciting with Farris, Brown, Chen, Han Yan, Tanaka, Hino, Uno, etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    WHYY is Farris not doing GP? Isn't his goal to go to 2014 Olympics? Doesn't he know his score from JW is high enough to be medaling at senior GP events? That it is about as high or higher than the SB of some of the "top" US senior men (Miner, Rippon, Dornbush...). He already has 3a. This will be his 5th season on JGP...

Ditto for Brown. Though it makes a little more sense for him because he hasn't tried 3a in competition yet and he said in an article a season or two back he wasn't going to rush to seniors internationally (just like Lysacek didn't ).

In any event, JGP should at least be exciting with Farris, Brown, Chen, Han Yan, Tanaka, Hino, Uno, etc.
    Better chance of getting to JW instead of SW? The new rule might have had something to do with it. Maybe if we'd managed to get 3 spots for the men back, it'd be a different story. Betting on a maybe over betting on a definite spot is a pretty risky move right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    HUGE tactical error IMO. He's definitely on a level to compete at GP now. Hell, he'd probably be a solid bet to medal at US Nationals this season. Can you imagine if Josh and Jason ended up medalling at US Nats? There'd be a huge amount of egg on face. USFSA would have to face the idea of sending them to Sr Worlds with no Senior experience.

Jason I can understand, he was always going to be a bit more touch-and-go with going up because of the 3A. But Josh is training a QUAD. It just doesn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkFeathers View Post
    Better chance of getting to JW instead of SW? The new rule might have had something to do with it. Maybe if we'd managed to get 3 spots for the men back, it'd be a different story. Betting on a maybe over betting on a definite spot is a pretty risky move right now.
    Josh is good enough to kick some serious backside at Nationals and earn a place at Sr Worlds. If he strings it together at Nationals he could medal for sure. That's what I don't understand. He's already got an SB that's equal to or better than a heap of the "established" senior men!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post

Josh is good enough to kick some serious backside at Nationals and earn a place at Sr Worlds. If he strings it together at Nationals, he could medal for sure. That's what I don't understand. He's already got an SB that's equal to or better than a heap of the "established" senior men!
    Josh has yet to string it together at Nationals. He competed at Nationals last year; however, his 16th place finish was not what I would call 'kicking some serious backside."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    Josh has yet to string it together at Nationals. He competed at Nationals last year; however, his 16th place finish was not what I would call 'kicking some serious backside."
    I didn't say that he had, only that he could. If he does string it together this year, several of the Seniors could be looking very silly.

His JW proved that Nationals was a blip.

vCash
    I didn't say that he had, only that he could. If he does string it together this year, several of the Seniors could be looking very silly.

His JW proved that Nationals was a blip.
    Time will tell if he can have the same success at the senior level that he has had on the junior level. However, to date, he has competed at two senior nationals with poor finishes in both. (However, he gets a pass on the last place finish in 2011 b/c of injury) If Josh continues to improve, he has the potential to medal at nationals. However, many of the senior men, that you love to cut down on a regular basis have gone out an proved it on the ice at the SENIOR level.

Josh is a very talented skater. Therefore, I don't understand why his uber fans feel the need of to constantly cut down other skaters in an attempt to build him up.

vCash
    Josh is a very talented skater. Therefore, I don't understand why his uber fans feel the need of to constantly cut down other skaters in an attempt to build him up.
    I am not neccessarily cutting down anybody. I think quite highly of Jeremy Abbott and enjoy his skating. It's just that I don't believe the current US Senior men are that amazing. Although at least they are stronger than the current state of the Russian Senior men.

Josh's score from JW would have placed him sixth at the last Nationals, one point behind Razzano, and ahead of such raved-about skaters as Brandon Mroz and Richard Dornbush - who, if I'm not mistaken, has a GP assignment. (Incidentally, Jason also beat Dornbush and Mroz, while leaving the 3A out of both programs.)

Has he done this yet? No. But my point is that he is CLEARLY capable of racking up enough points for a high finish at Nationals WITHOUT a quad. If he can get the 4T working for him this season, he could be looking at a medal. While still competing Juniors. Bit silly, isn't it?

vCash
    I am not neccessarily cutting down anybody. I think quite highly of Jeremy Abbott and enjoy his skating. It's just that I don't believe the current US Senior men are that amazing. Although at least they are stronger than the current state of the Russian Senior men.

Josh's score from JW would have placed him sixth at the last Nationals, one point behind Razzano, and ahead of such raved-about skaters as Brandon Mroz and Richard Dornbush - who, if I'm not mistaken, has a GP assignment. (Incidentally, Jason also beat Dornbush and Mroz, while leaving the 3A out of both programs.)

Has he done this yet? No. But my point is that he is CLEARLY capable of racking up enough points for a high finish at Nationals WITHOUT a quad. If he can get the 4T working for him this season, he could be looking at a medal. While still competing Juniors. Bit silly, isn't it?
    No, it is not silly for him to compete in the JGP. He will earn more ISU points by skating in the JGP ( 2JGP events + potential JGP final) than only competing in one senior GP event. There is no need to rush the move to the Senior GP. Several years ago, Lysacek finished 5th at US Nationals but he competed in the JGP the following season. He won his 2 GP events, won the JGP final, and finished 3rd at nationals. On his first trip to the WC, he won bronze which automatically qualified him for 2 Senior GP events for the Olympic season. Therefore, Lysacek's patience paid off. Thus, Josh could benefit by competing in JGP with a focus on gaining consistency.

vCash
    No, it is not silly for him to compete in the JGP. He will earn more ISU points by skating in the JGP ( 2JGP events + potential JGP final) than only competing in one senior GP event. There is no need to rush the move to the Senior GP. Several years ago, Lysacek finished 5th at US Nationals but he competed in the JGP the following season. He won his 2 GP events, won the JGP final, and finished 3rd at nationals. On his first trip to the WC, he won bronze which automatically qualified him for 2 Senior GP events for the Olympic season. Therefore, Lysacek's patience paid off. Thus, Josh could benefit by competing in JGP with a focus on gaining consistency.
    I hadn't considered the ranking situation. That's a good point. I guess my main concern is a potential Olympic season and working towards Sochi, since he has said before he's aiming for there.

Following Senior-age-eligible Juniors is exhausting. So many things to consider.

vCash
    I hadn't considered the ranking situation. That's a good point. I guess my main concern is a potential Olympic season and working towards Sochi, since he has said before he's aiming for there.

Following Senior-age-eligible Juniors is exhausting. So many things to consider.
    He can still work toward Sochi by competing JGP the season before the 2014 Olympic season. Lysacek worked toward earning his spot on the 2006 Olympic team by competing in the Junior GP the season prior to the Olympic season.

Title-less
    vCash
    He can still work toward Sochi by competing JGP the season before the 2014 Olympic season. Lysacek worked toward earning his spot on the 2006 Olympic team by competing in the Junior GP the season prior to the Olympic season.
    I think Evan did gp in the 04-5 season

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast