Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Didn't John Baldwin, Jr. begin skating pairs around age 30? He was a single skater for 20 yrs before I ever heard about him skating with Rena Inoue ca 2002/03. Anything is possible.
    John skated singles and pairs (IIRC pretty successfully) while he was a junior, then focused on singles for a few years in the 90s before switching to focus on pairs with Rena in 2000. I think he was around 26 or 27 went they teamed up but he had a lot of prior experience with pairs.

vCash
    Why would a skater with history of back pain want to do pairs? His back will not appreciate the lifts, twists and thrown jumps.
    Last edited by hanca; 09-10-2012 at 09:23 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    Then he'd be Kevin Vanderpairen

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Some crazy American must have told him that pairs is the place to be if you can't handle singles. Riiiiight. I agree,with his history of back and hip problems this isn't a great idea.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    He is still skating but cutting out quad training, 3A training, so the back is saved a lot of stress from not doing those things. I am sure his partner will be light because he is not that tall and it may not be as bad.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Life is too short to not go after your dreams. Life is not about succeeding or failing, it's about doing what you love and trying your best.

Van Der Perren is a great example to us all.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Life is too short to not go after your dreams. Life is not about succeeding or failing, it's about doing what you love and trying your best.

This!!!
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash

vCash

Well said!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Sitting out a year while learning how not to drop a woman on her head is probably a good thing.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I am struggling to believe this is for real... Even though given VDP's longevity against all odds, I shouldn't really be surprised.

I really hope you are being sarcastic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    Is Anais Morand looking for a partner or did she move on? There are decent French and German pair skaters looking for partners...
    I thought of her right away. She's close by in Switzerland. Too bad he couldn't go to ice dance though and pair up with Khokhlova.. on second thought, what am I thinking? KVDP.. ICE DANCE?!!!!!

vCash

So is Sandra Lee !!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I thought of her right away. She's close by in Switzerland. Too bad he couldn't go to ice dance though and pair up with Khokhlova.. on second thought, what am I thinking? KVDP.. ICE DANCE?!!!!!
    If Andreev can do Ice dancing so can KVDP..

As for KVDp being a great example... i would remind you that if he has back problem already, pairs is a bad idea, unless he wants to end up like Mohd. Ali... or he is hoping for his pair's partner to lift him, he is may be looking for his Anissina...

vCash
    I too thought it was a joke, but if Kevin doesn't feel ready to hang up his skates and wants to give pairs a try, why not? He probably has no illusions about his potential as a pairs skater, but he'll probably still receive funding, which could be a major incentive. He's been pretty tenacious and determined over the years, continuing to keep going even though his results weren't that great relatively speaking. And during that time he has had a few great moments that really thrilled him. He is obviously skating mostly for himself and if it continues to give him motivation and satisfaction, again - why not?

vCash

Thumbs up

Good luck, Kevin - go for it!!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    Then he'd be Kevin Vanderpairen

Sorry, couldn't resist!
    It is the obvious choice.

I think if he wants to give it a go then so be it. Really in the scheme of things there are not that many pairs in the world and if it gets pairs happening in his country then that is not such a bad thing.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    BEST IDEA EVER - skate pairs with Fumie Suguri

Seriously, he barely has enough power across the ice for himself - to think he will need all the power for lifts, twists and throws as well, is just, well, surreal.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I really hope you are being sarcastic.
    Actually, that was my annual non-sarcastic post. So everything I post until sometime in 2013 you can assume is sarcasm.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Checking the calendar. Nope, it's not April 1st. What am I missing?

Brezina's Nemesis
    Collecting papers to obtain status of a Goddess for Asli
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    This is a joke, right? He's 30 years old, with no pairs experience and a long list of past injuries. In addition, he is kind of short for a pairs skater, not to mention rather slow.
    He is one of the higher single skaters out there, it's just that he's powerfully built, so he looks shorter.

So, good luck to him, I have always wondered what would a pairs program to a bombastic soundtrack look like.
    In Soviet Russia, the skaters lobbychick YOU.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast