Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ali_dorate View Post
    I have mixed feelings about this. I miss Lori. While Denis got highest GOE(2.0) for his ChSq choreographed by Lori, Patrick's ChSq didn't received high GOEs throughout this season. Previously with Lori, Patrick always got highest GOE both in ChSq and Steps.
    Yes, that's true, no one beats Lori when it comes to creating high-scoring footwork for skaters. However, I think consistency on the jumps should be Patrick's focus for 2013-2014 because it's the repeated mistakes on the jumps that got him into trouble this past season. One might argue that even less than one point (+2.00 GOE to +1.40 GOE on a ChSq) can make the difference between victory and defeat and I agree but whenever Chan wins a title by just one or two points, you can be sure he skated quite poorly for what he would actually be capable of and that he left a lot of points on the table by messing up his jumps. I think I can agree with Patrick that consistency and repetition are the key words for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    We must trust Patrick and Wilson to work together and come out with a master piece like Elegie. I will take whatever comes. I hope he will focus completely on his training after all the shows in June. I am so curious as to what music Patrick chose? Shall we all make a guess?
    I would first need to know what Chan's favorite pieces are but other than Coldplay, I am completely in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    I am not unhappy with Wilson just hope the program is not too abstract.
    That's usually my problem with Tom Dickson's choreographies. I too hope Patrick's new program will have a theme that I can easily recognize.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    Arg I'm still mad and want to vent on Phil Hersh's tweet after mens' FS. He's entitled to have his opinions but by adding @PChiddy in that tweet it's like Twitter's equivalent of going up to Patrick's face and mock that "you finally get what you deserved" when Patrick had no say in how he was being scored.
    Phil Hersh doesn't appear to understand much about figure skating, yet he is unflinching in his opinion that Chan's wins are ridiculous. That he makes these claims without actually making solid reference to the rules under which Patrick has been evaluated makes it hard to take anything he says seriously. Journalists like him are bad for the sport, imo. I agree, it is fine for him express an opinion about a result but to express it in the manner in which he did...it seems he purposely wanted to hurt Patrick which is just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by ali_dorate View Post
    Today my seat was close to the K&C of Canadian team. So I enjoyed watching Patrick all day.

I'm relieved to have seen Patrick really enjoy this event today cheering, chatting, exchanging jokes, taking pictures with team mates and even dancing like crazy!
    I was so impressed that Patrick hugged tightly Max Aaron when they met. I can see Patrick has build a trusting relationship with him in Colorado Springs. So thank you Max!

At intermission I called to Patrick "Thank you for coming to Japan." He replayed me "Thank you" with his very best smile.
    And guess what.
    After the medal ceremony, when I said "Congratulations!" to him before he left the rink, he then came close to me and tossed me the bouquet he received at the ceremony!!
    The crowd around me rejoiced with me saying "Patrick is a nice guy!"

Words failed me. I don't remember whether I said thanks. So please let me say now.
    Thank you so much Patrick for the precious memories. I know this event was a big burden for you but I appreciate you trying to boost the event and to entertain us until the last moment. You are such a nice captain!
    ali_dorate, what a lovely post! Like spiky said, Patrick is lucky to have a fan like you. What an incredible moment that must have been for you! I am so happy that you got to experience this, and I appreciate you sharing it with all of us

Also, great points, VarBar! Do you think he should go back to training at altitude? For both his physical conditioning and his confidence?

vCash
    Hersh is tool masquerading as a sports writer. He needs to preface his "articles" with -- this is just my uniformed opinion because I hate COP and refuse to learn how it is used. Bring back 6.0 because I can only understand simple numbers between 0 and 6.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Also, great points, VarBar! Do you think he should go back to training at altitude? For both his physical conditioning and his confidence?
    Training at altitude undoubtedly has its benefits but it seems that Colorado Springs is behind Patrick now and I don't think he would ever go back to his former training base other than for a few short stays.

Not sure we are going to see Chan attempting this challenging three-jump combo in competition because it would most likely not be worth the effort and the risk taken under the IJS but it's interesting though that he went for it while practicing for a show. Maybe he wanted to send the world a message?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBra3ElV9uE

Prefacing Canadian Stars on Ice.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BH3067hCQAA5bPW.jpg:large

vCash
    Getting excited now for SOI Kingston........wheee!!!! Hope we get a chance to "high-5" as we are rinkside.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    Yes, that's true, no one beats Lori when it comes to creating high-scoring footwork for skaters. However, I think consistency on the jumps should be Patrick's focus for 2013-2014 because it's the repeated mistakes on the jumps that got him into trouble this past season. I think I can agree with Patrick that consistency and repetition are the key words for next season.
    I think so too. If he can practise till skating the program without thinking, then he is less likely to make mistakes.

Training at altitude undoubtedly has its benefits but it seems that Colorado Springs is behind Patrick now and I don't think he would ever go back to his former training base other than for a few short stays.

Not sure we are going to see Chan attempting this challenging three-jump combo in competition because it would most likely not be worth the effort and the risk taken under the IJS but it's interesting though that he went for it while practicing for a show. Maybe he wanted to send the world a message?
    A decision has been made and it's time to move on and focus. I am sure Team Chan has considered all its pros and cons before moving to Detroit. Interesting that he went for it during the SOI practice too. Maybe it was just 'fun'. How many points can one gain if you do a three jump instead of two jump combo,VarBar? Why is it not worth trying it in a competition? (I need some COP education).

Quote Originally Posted by clarie
    Getting excited now for SOI Kingston........wheee!!!! Hope we get a chance to "high-5" as we are rinkside.
    clarie, I hope you get to meet other FSU-ers at the show too. Have fun cheering the skaters on. Please post your report and pictures here if any.

ProfDeb, now that it is confirmed that Patrick, Weaver, Poje and Balde +++ are training in Detroit, you can drop by to cheer them all.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Hope to read some reports about the show tonight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBra3ElV9uE

Prefacing Canadian Stars on Ice.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BH3067hCQAA5bPW.jpg:large
    I see what you mean. And thx for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    I am sooooo excited for you, clarie! I cannot imagine being that close! PM me if you would like to meet up. I will be attending the Kingston show with my mother.

vCash
    Looking at Patrick's training decisions, it seems he needs to keep refreshing things to stay motivated so I hope Detroit does that for him. I often wonder though why he doesn't just stay home and train in Canada - one thing Canada has in abundance are high performance coaches for senior men. It would certainly save his family some money which was a factor a few years ago - and just perhaps the real reason that Patrick went with one coach and to Buttle for choreography. But that's JMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bournekraatzfan View Post
    I am sooooo excited for you, clarie! I cannot imagine being that close! PM me if you would like to meet up. I will be attending the Kingston show with my mother.
    Have you met with clarie before Bournekraatzfan? If not, I hope you two get to meet up.

Quote Originally Posted by blueglass
    Looking at Patrick's training decisions, it seems he needs to keep refreshing things to stay motivated so I hope Detroit does that for him. I often wonder though why he doesn't just stay home and train in Canada - one thing Canada has in abundance are high performance coaches for senior men. It would certainly save his family some money which was a factor a few years ago - and just perhaps the real reason that Patrick went with one coach and to Buttle for choreography. But that's JMO.
    I remember reading somewhere ... that he ended up in Colorado Springs to train with Krall for his quads. It seemed that the atmosphere then was conducive too as he had his skater friends and the high altitude was a plus. Oh yes, I read that Toronto has too much distractions. I GUESS now that he is no longer with Krall and I understand most of the skater friends he trained with have retired or moved, there's less motivation to stay on. OK.. I am just guessing and saying based on what I have read. Guys, correct me if I am wrong.

vCash
    BKfan....I just sent you a PM
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    How many points can one gain if you do a three jump instead of two jump combo,VarBar?
    As far as I know, the base value of a jump combination is the sum total of the base values of the jumps that combination contains, in other words whether a skater attempts a 4T/3T/3Loop or a 4T/3T and a 3Loop as a solo jump later in the program, the total base value of these three jumps is exactly the same, that is 19.5 points: 4T base value = 10.3; 3T base value = 4.1; 3Loop base value = 5.1. But the likelihood for a skater to land the third jump in a three jump cleanly and get good GOEs isn't as high as the likelihood for him to land the second jump in a two jump cleanly. Furthermore, a three jump like the one Patrick did would reduce the number of triple jumps the skater could do in the second half of the program for the 10% bonus. Maybe the skater would be better rewarded on skating skills and performance/execution if he attempted a three jump instead of a two jump but Patrick is not one of those skaters who should be concerned about their PC scores - unless he makes serious mistakes.

vCash
    ^^^ Thank you VarBar. Makes sense. Now would a 4quad salchow makes any difference? Not sure why he has been practising 4QS but not bringing it to competition. Perhaps, it's just not consistent yet?

vCash

vCash
    Thnx for posting....great article.........Sawyer's program sounds interesting
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    ^^^ Thank you VarBar. Makes sense. Now would a 4quad salchow makes any difference? Not sure why he has been practising 4QS but not bringing it to competition. Perhaps, it's just not consistent yet?
    The benefit of a 4S is that it's a high value element that frees up a jump slot. If he has a regular one that he can add to his to 4Ts already, he should do it without hesitation. At minimum, it's a two point jump over a 3A (if he were to replace his 3A with a 4S), 4 points over a triple lutz, and an insane 7 points above a backloaded 2A.

I don't think he has it, though. I think he'd more likely get a 4F than a 4S to be honest.

vCash
    Is there anyone in Patrick's life - ANYONE - who can give him some advice about being more careful what he says to the media - especially vultures like Rosie Dimanno who have no class?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    Is there anyone in Patrick's life - ANYONE - who can give him some advice about being more careful what he says to the media - especially vultures like Rosie Dimanno who have no class?
    As much as I dislike Dimanno's "journalism", Patrick isn't a kid - he's been in the spotlight long enough to know how he should behave from a PR standpoint. The fact that he constantly says things that paint him in such a poor light after all these years - just makes him seem cocky, arrogant and as if he's above it all. I love Patrick's skating, but the more I read these things from him, the more I find it difficult to appreciate what he can produce on the ice. Honestly, he needs to be put down a few pegs. Look at Tom Cruise - he might still pull in ok numbers at the BO occasionally, but since the Oprah couch jumping debacle and the more details about his Scientology involvement emerge, the more lustre he has lost (and the more people can't buy him as anybody but Tom Cruise...).

vCash
    I don't think Patrick has said anything so terrible - if you actually listen to him give an interview as opposed to what the print media writes, he is the polar opposite of cocky and arrogant. He is a very likeable, humble guy who is also very conscious of his abilities and talent - and when did that become such a crime in a high performance athlete? He's criticised and vilified for winning events when he falls. But why should he have to sit back and take it when everybody and their dog is trashing him? The judging system is not his fault, but the vitriol keeps coming. He's allowed to stand up for himself.

vCash
    I also wonder if the journalists know Patrick would give these kind of sound bites so they constantly go after him for quotes. I'm doubtful that one day Patrick just woke up and said let's go call Rosie DiManno about the idea of Skater's Union.

Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast