Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Yes, indeed. thank you ali-dorate.

vCash
    ali_dorate, thank you so much for your report and letting us know of Patrick's interaction with the other skaters, much appreciated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    Arg I'm still mad and want to vent on Phil Hersh's tweet after mens' FS. He's entitled to have his opinions but by adding @PChiddy in that tweet it's like Twitter's equivalent of going up to Patrick's face and mock that "you finally get what you deserved" when Patrick had no say in how he was being scored.
    He intentionally did it to let Patrick know he was insulting him, such a pathetic human being.
    Last edited by fscric; 04-14-2013 at 04:45 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post
    Ignore him. You'll never convert a hater and it just saps your energy.
    I agree. Haterz are full of negative energy and you can find them all over ... the office, the streets, forums etc. I also believe they are likely to be losers personally. Looking for targets to hate and hit out at without rhyme or reason is a personal failure in introspection and the understanding of humanity and civility, and most of all cowardly. Perhaps beating down someone on forums, gives them a sense of misguided power which they don't have in real life. It is like a mob turning on an innocent passer-by. When one stands back and watch from afar, it is but a sad picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Corianna
    Yes, I'd be up for the GPF in Japan probably. i'd love to hear the answers about location and cost of the tickets.
    I just visited the Flight Centre to check on packaged tours in Japan but couldn't get any information. I intend to go for some internal tours before or after the GPF. GPF will be held in Fukuoka but I don't know where myself. I googled and found this ice centre (okay, it's in Japanese and I don't understand a single world. We will have to wait for more information from ali-dorate).

Quote Originally Posted by luckiest
    I wish I could afford to go to Japan but not at this point. I am lucky though that I might be able to go to Skate Canada and Canadian Championships next season. I do look forward to seeing all of the fans that I met at the Worlds, again one day!
    It's alright luckiest1. You would have spent a a lot attending Worlds London. It so happened that I have been planning a family holiday for 2014 and coincidentally, Japan is in my bucket list. So when ali-dorate threw me the suggestion, I thought 'hey why not? I also get to watch real figure skating (not from computer screen for once) and Patrick and other skaters. The icing on the cake of course will be having the opportunity to meet with some Patrick fans. I admit I have grown fond of you folks virtually and certainly wouldn't hesitate meeting up. luckiest1, the Alaska cruise is also in my bucket list so you never know...... I may time it some day with a SOI show thrown in!
    Last edited by spikydurian; 04-14-2013 at 11:35 PM.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Spiky...if you get to the GPfinal, you will at least get an abridged version of "the best of the best". It's nice that most of us can watch either on TV or computers, but there is nothing like being there. As you are such a fan of Patrick, you will get to see what is missed on the small screens. I remember being flabbergasted at his skating skills and speed the first time I saw him live and it wasn't even a good skate for him as he was injured at the time. I recall at one point listening to his blades and watching the beautiful patterns he made on the freshly redone ice as he did his footwork. This was in 2009, and I will never forget the impression. I've seen him a few times since then....skating well and not so well and those skills he has never fail to amaze me.

You should go
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    I agree, he's just stunning to watch on the ice even just stroking. I can relate a nice moment from Canadians - during mens' warmup Patrick and Eladj had a near miss causing everyone to gasp, clearly accidental but on the next pass the two low-fived each other in the middle of the rink at very high speed - a really nice moment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    I have been thinking about your suggestion regarding attending GPF in Japan. I have checked the estimated costs of the Brisbane-Fukuoka flights and hotel. Where is the figure skating center located in Fukuoka? Maybe better to stay close to the center? How much are the tickets? Hey folks.... wanna go to Japan to watch GPF? Ali-dorate, you may get a busload of us (luckiest1, Corianna, PCFan, Emdee etc etc) going.
    I'm soooo happy if some of you guys can come to Japan. I'll guide you and help you as much as I can!
    Here is some info about the GPF 2013.
    (Forgive me, it may be a bit off topic. )

*Acceess
    2013 GPF will be held in Fukuoka.
    Fukuoka airport is an international airport. So for example you can transit at Singapore if you fly from Australia.
    http://www.fuk-ab.co.jp/english/frame_index.html

The venue is "MarineMesse Fukuoka" located at " Fukuoka convention center".
    Here is the English page of the venue .
    http://www.marinemesse.or.jp/eng/messe/index.html

You can check the lacation here.
    http://www.marinemesse.or.jp/eng/access/index.html

Or use google map and put the word "Fukuoka Convention Center".

*Ticket princes
    The detail has not been released. So I give you an example so that you can imagine the cost.
    GPF was held in Japan in 2009. Here is the price list of the ticket at that time.(It was held in Tokyo. So prices may not the same.)

Arena SS \17000-\18000
    Arena S \14000-\15000
    S \14000-\15000
    A \12000
    (The price in Japanese yen. And all tickets are "one day ticket".)

I heard "MarineMesse Fukuoka" is relatively small so we have to prepare for the fierce battle to get a ticket.
    To get a ticket for Arena SS will be almost impossible.

Last time (at 2009 GPF) presale for the tickets begun in the end of September. So the detail of the tickets will be released in early September. By the time we will get more info here in FSU too.

If you can find any tour company or agents where you can get a ticket, I recommend buy it there. If you don't have such agents you have to buy it through the agencies in Japan. If so, please let me know. Or you have any further questions, PM me. I'm more than happy to help you.
    Anyway I'll keep you informed of any progress.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    From the quotes in this post-WTT article, it sounds like Patrick has decided to move his training base to Detroit: http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/n...focus-olympics
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I went to the Gala today.
    Patrick picked "Mannish Boy" as his EX. And it was gorgeous!! But I wonder why he chosen this instead of "I Need a Dollar" as he hasn't performed it in Japan.

The crowds cheered in loud voices and showed affection for him.
    Of course Dai is the most favorite for Japanese fans but I'm pretty sure that figure skating fans in Japan love and respect Patrick's skating.

I think one of the reason is that Patrick has visited Japan many times and now lots of skating fans has got chances to see his skating live. Seeing him live makes everything change. I've never heard any complaints about his marks from the crowd around me.

After that bad fall before the spin in his FS, I heard many comments worrying about his injury. Most of the Japanese fans feel sympathy for Patrick and express their gratitude for coming all the way to Japan.

Today I heard a lady sat next to me talked with her friend about Patrick. She brought a banner for Dai, so she must be a big fan of Dai. I want to share her comment with you.
    "I saw Patrick's skating from a distance and realized that ice-coverage of Patrick is in a class of his own. I can see Patrick and Dai are both special."

vCash
    I am so happy to read that you believe most Japanese fans like Patrick and do not speak badly about him. It's so hard to read all the negative comments in articles, on the message boards, etc. I tend to keep myself to this thread for peace of mind. I look forward to watching the exhibition skates on the ISU stream this evening. It's so great that they have the different events available for viewing after the fact.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    The WTT Gala Exhibition is available on demand now: http://livemanager.eurovision.edgesu...ite/index.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    ali_dorate, thanks for the insight of Japanese skating fans' feeling about Patrick, it's great to hear about it. While I'm sure seeing Patrick live might change the perspective of some fans, it might not always be the case but you can't please everybody particularly some uber fans of Patrick's competitors.

On another matter, I wonder if the haterz would die of boredom after Patrick retires since they are hinging on every word that Patrick says to dissect, analyse and give 'constructive' criticism.

vCash
    Thanks ali_dorate for all your report and Fukuoka information. I think the Japanese audience is gracious, kind and appreciative. If I am a figure skater, I would love to perform in Japan.

It is hard to find guided tour packages as most of the tours sold online end in October/November. However, I found an interesting website called Japan Package Tours where they organise the itinerary, accommodation and bus/train tickets for you, and you just follow the itinerary on your own. It's called self-guided tour and they are relatively cheaper than the fully guided tours. I may consider that option. ali_dorate, I won't be booking anything until I get the tickets. Will be in touch via PM. Thanks again for all the information.

Quote Originally Posted by blueglass
    I agree, he's just stunning to watch on the ice even just stroking. I can relate a nice moment from Canadians - during mens' warmup Patrick and Eladj had a near miss causing everyone to gasp, clearly accidental but on the next pass the two low-fived each other in the middle of the rink at very high speed - a really nice moment.
    Call me naive or idealistic. I would like see civility and respect in competitions. blueglass, I like your report on Patrick and Eladj. It just shows competition didn't not mar the sense of fun and friendship between these two 'boys'.

Quote Originally Posted by fscric
    I wonder if the haterz would die of boredom after Patrick retires since they are hinging on every word that Patrick says to dissect, analyse and give 'constructive' criticism.
    Nay, they will look for someone else (probably someone who's going to dominate after Patrick, Daisuke and possibly Kozuka are retired) to pick on. Good luck to that guy.

Claire, I know nothing beats watching these skaters live. And I know I probably have until Sochi to ever watch Patrick and others in competition. That's why ali_dorate's proposition is attractive.

I too hope Patrick gets a technical coach to keep an eye on his TES. Emdee et al, can you tell him that we are worried sick if he doesn't get a tech coach?

vCash
    Spiky,
    No point in telling him anything - he sees what he wants to see.
    In any case he knows there will have to be a whole lot of hard work like he did before worlds this year ... didnt he say he worked more in the last month than he did the whole year.

In many ways I can understand his cutting back on practice this year. He didnt want to overtrain this year and also he needed a bit of a downtime to avoid burnout. I think it was part of his strategy that is why even before the year began he mentioned not winning things this last year but then I think he was disappointed with himself so he stepped up the work pre worlds and retained his title.

Regarding giving up Colorado springs other than Max Aaron all his other friends are now gone - Rachel, Ryan Bradley etc. Here he will have Eladj, Jeremy and Andrew and Kaitlyn. I think that Kathy is also Andrew and Kaitlyn's dance coach so it will be convenient for her.

vCash
    I went to the Gala today.
    Patrick picked "Mannish Boy" as his EX. And it was gorgeous!! But I wonder why he chosen this instead of "I Need a Dollar" as he hasn't performed it in Japan.
    I am not complaining. I way prefer Mannish Boy to I Need a Dollar. Never felt Patrick truly enjoyed himself skating Chris Dean's routine, perhaps he was too focused on doing all the tricks right and not dropping the baseball cap. And his Dollar costume was By contrast, he was all smiles each time I saw him performing Mannish Boy. Thanks for all your reports, ali_dorate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    From the quotes in this post-WTT article, it sounds like Patrick has decided to move his training base to Detroit: http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/n...focus-olympics
    Thanks, Sylvia.
    I don't think there is anything new I need to do technically.

"Really all the work is done and it's just really about competing and repetition and consistent training,"
    I was a strong advocate of Patrick needing to up his technical difficulty in the long program but now I'm not so sure anymore that it would be such a good idea. It must be physically and mentally exhausting to attempt three quads in the free skate at every competition and the effort might burn the skater out by the end of the season. I suppose Skate Canada will want Patrick to compete in the team event too in Sochi and how could he possibly say no...

vCash
    It's very kind of ali_dorate to make that proposal to you Spiky. By all means take advantage of it. I know perhaps the last time I will get to a comp is at Nats, and I plan on being there at least for a couple of days seeing it's just up the road from me....about 2 hrs drive, so easy. I'm going to SOI in Kingston next week too, so it will be double whammy to see Patrick and V/M . (Rinkside seats). I think you are closer to Japan than those of us in N.A. I don't think I will ever travel that far as we get to see plenty of live skating here as opposed to Australia? I sure hope there will be others on this forum who will be at Nats that I can hook up with for a lunch of coffee as I missed out at Worlds this year .
    Addicted to FSU

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Article about Patrick's SOI tour debut in Halifax this Friday: http://thechronicleherald.ca/artslif...-olympic-glory
    The skater will keep this year’s short program, Elegie in E Flat Minor by Sergei Rachmaninoff, that was choreographed by 2008 world champion Jeffrey Buttle, also part of this year’s Stars On Ice tour.

In Toronto, he will work with Wilson on creating a new long program.
    The skater, who set a new world record in the short program at the 2013 World Championships in London last month, plans to work on a quad Salchow over the summer, though he may not include it in competition.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-17-2013 at 10:30 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Article about Patrick's SOI tour debut in Halifax this Friday: http://thechronicleherald.ca/artslif...-olympic-glory
    Thank you so much Sylvia!

In Toronto, he will work with Wilson on creating a new long program.
    I have mixed feelings about this. I miss Lori. While Denis got highest GOE(2.0) for his ChSq choreographed by Lori, Patrick's ChSq didn't received high GOEs throughout this season. Previously with Lori, Patrick always got highest GOE both in ChSq and Steps.

OK. I'll pay more attention to the positive side.
    When I first saw "Mannish boy" live, I wasn't so ecstatic. But it has really developed. The one I saw at WTT on Sunday was the best and it really appeals. As he said;
    Mannish Boy, choreographed by long-time collaborator David Wilson to the Muddy Waters tune, “made me get comfortable moving my body in different ways,” says the 22-year-old skater. “Instead of moving it lyrically, I moved it more aggressively, more sexy, kind of rock and roll, really rough and raw.”
    So I hope he'll enjoy his new program and will shape it into a masterpiece.

In Halifax, he’ll work on his most difficult jumps in rehearsals and practice. And as for the show: “Maybe I’ll do a triple Axel, or maybe even a quad toe, depending on how I feel.”
    That's great! You guys who will go to the SOI, have a good time!

vCash
    Yes Claire, I seriously intend to watch the abridged version of Worlds-GPF in Japan if I can get the tickets. I really envy you all being able to watch so many great competitions up north!

We must trust Patrick and Wilson to work together and come out with a master piece like Elegie. I will take whatever comes. I hope he will focus completely on his training after all the shows in June. I am so curious as to what music Patrick chose? Shall we all make a guess?

ali_dorate, thanks for all the information. My trip hinges on getting the tickets. (Keeping fingers, toes and eyes crossed! )

I think Detroit makes good sense. He has company in Weaver, Poje, Balde and other skaters, and they help motivate each other on. As luckiest1 pointed out earlier on, it's also close to Toronto where Wilson is based and so are his family.

Emdee, please post pictures and report here. Thanks.
    Last edited by spikydurian; 04-18-2013 at 12:27 PM.

vCash
    Spiky I am a really bad picture takeouter. However I will try. DD cannot take her good cam for the show.
    Report you shall have no problem.
    I am not unhappy with Wilson just hope the program is not too abstract.

Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast