Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
    Blergh
    vCash
    Maybe they should have a disclaimer as well saying that every result in every competition is justifiable under COP so no need to get worked up over anything.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Maybe they should have a disclaimer as well saying that every result in every competition is justifiable under COP so no need to get worked up over anything.
    No need. Haters gonna hate! haha

vCash
    vietgrlterifa is no Patrick fan, she's been trashing Patrick everywhere, I wonder why she felt the need to post on this thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IHeartJeffrey View Post
    Looking at the scores again this morning, Patrick only beat Denis Ten on the PCS by 2 points. And Denis even beat him on the PE score. Seems fair to me. Denis has a lovely program, but the choreo is not as difficult and complex as Patrick's is. So Patrick got the the 2-point advantage there.

Then the TES. Denis scored 87 and Patrick scored 82. Patrick got huge marks for his first two quads (30.13 in total - more than a third of his entire technical score!). Denis only did 1 quad and it was not in combination. Denis gained back those points with huge marks on both of his 3A's, whereas Patrick only got about 3 points for his 3A< fall. Patrick got decent marks for this 3F/3S sequence even with a -1.3 on the GOE for the hand down. Also interesting to note - I think that Patrick got level 3's for both of his spins whereas Denis got level 4's, but Patrick scored higher on the step sequences.

All of this seems fair to me, given the scoring system. Patrick got the points for the things he did well (quads, step sequence, the program itself) and lost a lot of points on the things he did not do well.

The problem is that the average person isn't going to take the time to look up a protocol and go through the marks in detail. How can we communicate the breakdown of the scores to the average viewer?
    I was in the arena last night, but when I got back I re-watched the event on CBC. During Joubert's program Tracy mentioned that they need to find a way to communicate on the monitors under rotations and downgrades, etc so the audience can better understand the scores as they come up. But I don't really have a solution for this.

I'm sure that the debate will rage on and unfortunately Patrick will be at the receiving end of the anger towards IJS. But to be honest, the more I think about the scores from last night, the more I actually think this was a fair, well-judged event.
    Actually I didn't think Denis deserved such high PCS. He was on his feet, yes , but his program was not as difficult as Patrick's. personally I think Ten was over marked by a couple of points.

vCash
    One thing I do know for sure. I'm going to stay out of the Chanflation threads and polls! I thought Patrick was quite honest afterward about his performance. He apologized for the falls but said he was glad for the quads and happy he had done the Short proud. And he thanked the audience for lifting him. I wish the reporters would go after the judges and hammer them with questions about Chanflation instead of Patrick. He can only go out there and do his job on the ice. I wish he'd done the jumps and I do think it is difficult to see 1st place won with falls. We all want to see someone rise to perfection and exceed expectations but it doesn't always happen. I felt fortunate to be there for the Long and found the whole thing experience of a lifetime!

vCash
    I agree. Best to stay away from the Chanflation stuff. I am personally so sick of it. I think Patrick was honest - he didn't skate as well in the freeskate as he would have liked and he was sorry because he wanted to do that for the fans. He is the total package and so amazing to watch live. He won it in the short and barely held on to it in all. End of story. He has a tremendous amount of pressure on him for such a young man.
    pug lover

vCash
    The term "Chanflation" and the personal attacks on Patrick need to stop. From haters, other skaters and the media. Someone or something of substance has to step in here. Skate Canada AND the ISU? I just feel like he is being thrown under a bus here. He has gone to Worlds and done his job, and the result, out of his hands. He won Gold and somehow he is expected to apologize or answer to that? What's he to do? Disrespect the ISU, Skate Canada, his country, his fans and the whole entire sport by saying he didn't deserve it? I don't need to go into all the reasons why he won in this thread, thank goodness but someone has to defend this win with him. Just my emotional opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Hey Everyone...Just wanted to see how the thread was doing after the event tonight and also share my thoughts too...

As I said to my Parents when bringing up my dishes from a very late supper, I got to sing Oh Canada tonight, but not for a true win. I hate it when I feel like that when a Canadian wins anything in this kind of a way.

You know, I was trying to hear the sound of the blades on the ice, which is hard on Bold at times due to PJ not always knowing when to let the pictures tell the story, and when I was able to the ice had that brittle harsh sound to it. When I hear that, usually it means the ice is harder than it should be. I mean...I was watching takeoffs pretty carefully and there was a *lot* of picks skidding during toe pick jumps entries tonight. Also more than a few edge jumps missed due to what looked like the edge skidded off on the skater at the worst time of the jump.

Now I wasn't there, so don't know if that was the case inside the Arena, but that's just from my experience of attending events over the years. You hear that harsh, scraping, brittle sound to crosscuts and 9 times out of 10, you've got ice that's a touch or more too hard. Great for hockey and short track. Not so much for figure skating.

As I said....JMO.

Not just this, the events of the entire day is why the sport's dying. PJ was gushing this afternoon on Twitter on what a fantastic afternoon it was for Canada and more so tonight. Did we win medals? Yes. Did we get the full team allotment for Sochi in Pairs and Mens? Yes. In the process did the ISU add another nail or two in the coffin of the Sport? Big time YES!!!

This was not a great day for skating. Canadian or otherwise and that hurts to have to say.

Okay...Not sure what happened between him and Casey at the end of last Season, but this should be a wake up call to Patrick to either put his cap in his hand and apologize, then ask to be taken back. Either that or find someone, anyone, who is very well known in skating circles for being able to help out someone w/their jumps. He needs a real skating coach now.

If he doesn't, then I don't even want to think of what kind of a Patrick we'll see next season. I am genuinely worried now about Patrick and the direction he's headed down w/out a real skating coach. I really hope he wakes up and realizes that. However, w/the Gold Medal and World Title Three....sigh.

^^^I am worried about this as well. He NEEDS a coach. Surely someone would be willing to coach him without compromising Kathy's role. Clearly it would have to be a compromise but a most interesting challenge going in to the OG.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kittysk8ts View Post
    The term "Chanflation" and the personal attacks on Patrick need to stop. From haters, other skaters and the media. Someone or something of substance has to step in here. Skate Canada AND the ISU? I just feel like he is being thrown under a bus here. He has gone to Worlds and done his job, and the result, out of his hands. He won Gold and somehow he is expected to apologize or answer to that? What's he to do? Disrespect the ISU, Skate Canada, his country, his fans and the whole entire sport by saying he didn't deserve it? I don't need to go into all the reasons why he won in this thread, thank goodness but someone has to defend this win with him. Just my emotional opinion.
    I totally agree with this. He didn't give the marks. What is he supposed to say now? He apologized to the fans for not skating his best. Next time others can't give him such a big lead in the short. He hasn't dominated this year - he is trying his best.
    pug lover

vCash
    Just found this. Thank goodness, something defending him.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/03/17...gold-medal-win

vCash
    I'm so tired of all the Chanflation threads with blatant hatred towards Patrick in something he can't control. I still maintain that the judges did their job and scored fairly in a flawed system (where falls are not penalized enough), yet when I point that out I'm the troll. I hope Patrick sort out whatever he has to sort out and churn out programs and performances that mirror his 2010-11 season. He deserves so much better than the hate skating world has against him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post
    One thing I do know for sure. I'm going to stay out of the Chanflation threads and polls! I thought Patrick was quite honest afterward about his performance. He apologized for the falls but said he was glad for the quads and happy he had done the Short proud. And he thanked the audience for lifting him. I wish the reporters would go after the judges and hammer them with questions about Chanflation instead of Patrick. He can only go out there and do his job on the ice. I wish he'd done the jumps and I do think it is difficult to see 1st place won with falls. We all want to see someone rise to perfection and exceed expectations but it doesn't always happen. I felt fortunate to be there for the Long and found the whole thing experience of a lifetime!
    Please do. I made the mistake yesterday. It's not fun or pretty and it gets you nowhere so I give up. Bugs my ass though that they think he's happy about it and that he somehow can control his marks. Ridiculous. What do they want him to do? Give it back? And who are these skaters supposedly trashing him? If true don't tell me for a second they wouldn't accept the medal and say thank you very much and move on.

vCash
    No, what the Chan haterz want is for Chan to never win gold again -- unless he's absolutely perfect in both programs and skates like an ARTISTE!

They want him to STFU when answering questions honestly cause you know, he needs show humility.

They want MORE deductions on every single category on every single time for every fall, turnout, mistake of any kind. BTW, this rule applies ONLY to him.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    No, what the Chan haterz want is for Chan to never win gold again -- unless he's absolutely perfect in both programs and skates like an ARTISTE!

They want him to STFU when answering questions honestly cause you know, he needs show humility.

They want MORE deductions on every single category on every single time for every fall, turnout, mistake of any kind. BTW, this rule applies ONLY to him.
    Apparently. Why people waste so much of their energy hating Patrick for something he has no control over (the judges' scores), I'll never know. What do people want? For him to reject the gold medals and accolades? Sheesh.

vCash
    And PS. He lost the free skate. But no one seems to acknowledge that fact when they're spouting out their hateful comments about "chanflation".

vCash
    I just got back today and regret not getting a chance to meet up. My dh was sick practically the whole time there and I was on my own much of the time, or either had to arrive late or leave early . I enjoyed both Patrick's programs....mistakes and all in the LP too. Gobsmacked by his short though.......that was truly magnificent. We didn't stay to see the gala, and gave our tickets away at Denny's retaurant to our waitress who gave them to her mother in law and husband to go see it (her m-in-l is just recovering from cancer and is a fs fan) I hope they enjoyed. We watched it on TV at home all warm and cozy. Loved Patrick's gala performance .
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Hi, I am new here.

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fscric View Post
    vietgrlterifa is no Patrick fan, she's been trashing Patrick everywhere, I wonder why she felt the need to post on this thread.
    Oh calm down. I may have made a few snarky remarks, but trashing him everywhere? Stop being so sensitive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    Exactly!

Patrick is not unbeatable but to do so, the other skater needs to be as strong as Patrick and brings their A game on as shown in COR and Skate Canada. And indeed, I think what he said was correct - his falls left the door opened and Ten did beat him in the FS but not enough to close the gap with Patrick's brilliant SP. To beat Patrick, you have to wish that he skated poorly in the short just as he did in COR and Skate Canada, and I am sure everyone knows that. No secret!

As for more deductions for falls, isn't it like that back in 2010? Until they decided to encourage more quads, they give points for fully rotated jumps even with falls. Oh well, they can always return to the pre 2010 days where falls garner no marks. I am all for it. If Patrick falls and garner no marks and loses so be it. But bear in mind, the sword cuts both ways (though I have an inkling that in Patrick's case, the haters think the sword should only cut one way).

Anyway, I am here to celebrate his win.

Claire, sorry to hear about your dh and having to go home early. I hope your dh has fully recovered. Bless your heart for giving the ticket to the waitress's MIL. One good deed deserves another. Did you get to meet up with Emdee, luckiest1, Ali dorate, Corianna and PCFan? Emdee said someone else threw a hat into the rink?
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I didn't get to meet up with anyof Patricks fans on Wed. We were in tier 3.....far from the ice, too far to throw my hat......maybe next time . I did see both his skates and was standing and cheering before the short ended.....it was awsome for sure. The LP less so, but he did those 2 beautiful quads, then disaster....oh well. I hope he learned that lesson well. I'm also on the bandwagon for his getting a proper coach who is with him at competitions.
    Addicted to FSU

Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast