Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Happily succumbing to the FSU productivity virus.
    vCash
    For those with access to the NBC Universal Sports youtube channel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLFB6...eature=g-all-u

vCash
    Is there another link someone might have .
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Alright Patrick~!! He doubled his 3A but made it in the SP, and the program was well skated. I am very glad that I have yet to see this "Free Patrick from Kathy Johnson" posts after CoR. I have always thought his problem was beyond a tech coach problem that he had managed to sort out as the season went along. I am confident that he is on track to bring down the house during the 2nd half of the season like two previous seasons.

vCash
    Patrick is a genius.......or at least his feet are . That program was amazing even with the small mistakes. David Wilson should be congratulated also as well as Jeff for the SP. Amazingly difficult and the class of the field in this program today (and most days ).
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    I have a question for you figure skaters out there. Patrick has talked about how he only gets his skates sharpened in Toronto which presumably means not very often. I ask because I need to sharpen my daughter's hockey skates at least every 5-6 hours on the ice. She does like them sharp, but is it just that figure skating blades hold an edge longer, or that figure skaters don't like the edge too sharp? A bit off topic, but I'm curious...

vCash
    Here's another link to Patrick's skate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zM0io7Ctqw

nlyoung, I can't answer your question as I am not a skater. But you may wish to post your query on the Moves On The Field Thread. Some knowledgeable poster may respond to your query there.

I'm very lucky to be able to watch Dean - sometimes .. he lives in Colorado and England, and sometimes I'm lukcy seeing him skate and work on his show programmes, and one day I had an idea that may be he'd like to work with me and it was a huge honour he accepted my offer. We did a show programme which is called `I need a $'. It's british song. We worked for one week for Japan Open. I haven't done it yet on any shows or gala. Perhaps I'll do it GPF. It's a very challenging piece - the hat is a prop and if I drop it the programme is finished moe or less. I just love it and I want to do it over and over. Dean is a genious, he is the best in the world for that
    Here's Chan's response to an interview in relation to his new EX which he is working with legendary Christopher Dean. Can't wait to see Christopher's program. Not sure whether this is the song he's talking about. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. It's very catchy. Maybe Patrick is using a hat to ask for a dollar.
    Here's a link to the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbVHbEGerRA
    Last edited by spikydurian; 11-11-2012 at 07:12 AM.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post

Here's Chan's response to an interview in relation to his new EX which he is working with legendary Christopher Dean. Can't wait to see Christopher's program. Not sure whether this is the song he's talking about. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. It's very catchy. Maybe Patrick is using a hat to ask for a dollar.
    Here's a link to the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbVHbEGerRA
    Oh that's exciting! I didn't know about that. Can't wait to see it.

He was just wonderful today. His performance was stellar. A couple double jumps but that's ok. I think these 2 programs may become my faves of his. I already love them. I hope he kicks ass the rest of the season.

vCash
    Thanks, spikydurian!
    Wow, can't wait to see his new EX! Using a hat? Sounds exciting! We have seen 4 new programs including 2 galas this year, and one more? We are lucky fans
    Patrick was absolutely amazing yesterday!

vCash
    What an amazing skate! Yes, the double jumps but that means he still has room to improve for the big competitions. Now that he showed his jumps (quad and 3A) are all intact in the competitions, his decision to expand his artistry is the right decision. His skating is just mesmerizing!

vCash
    What is it with Chris Dean and the hat?
    Didnt he do an ex with a hat and didnt he also choreo one for Kulik?

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    What is it with Chris Dean and the hat?
    Didnt he do an ex with a hat and didnt he also choreo one for Kulik?
    Yes and yes
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    Short interview with Patrick after the free skate at COR.
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskati...#id=2302960924

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    he said during the press conference that he didn't know doing a single in a combo jump would get you -3 so that's never going to happen again I'm sure.
    Maybe Patrick needs a technical coach though? Technical coaches usually know these things.

Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Short interview with Patrick after the free skate at COR.
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskati...#id=2302960924
    Thank you, spikydurian. Yes, it's the second section of the FS Patrick needs to work on for the GPF, while preserving the quality in the first part intact. His quads and 3Lz are Olympic gold jumps. Just amazing ease and ice coverage.

I checked a few other videos on that page and bumped into Jeffrey and Patrick working out the details in Elegy.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskati...02899715&tab=1

I thought Elegy was a fantastic program when I saw Chan skating this routine at the 2012 Worlds Gala but I am bit underwhelmed by it as a program for competition. I feel that the hard jumps - quad and 3A - overpower this quiet and dreamy piece by Rachmaninov and I'm still not entirely happy with the footwork section. La bohème on the other hand, I have no complaints to file, it's a wonderfully constructed story-telling program and it suits Chan really really well.

http://twitpic.com/bcabif/full

leaa, welcome to this thread.

vCash
    Hello fans. Did you all notice that Patrick was awarded two perfect tens for Skating Skills? All of the component marks were above nine throughout the score sheet. No one else has come close to that this season. I suspect Kathy Johnson at least facilitated that improvement in artistry.

vCash
    Technical coaches usually know these things.
    Hopefully they do, and I'm not disputing your basic point.

However, there are lots of examples of technical coaches who don't necessarily know the rules as well as they should, which forces the skaters to figure things out for themselves. The best recent example might be Igor Shpilband and the rules regarding scoring of lifts in ice dance last season. Virtue/Moir were forced to figure out why their scores were not correct at the Grand Prix final, and that the scoring software was not working correctly, something that Igor absolutely should have figured out for them.

So I think skaters should try to understand the rules themselves, so that they can protect themselves from any lack of knowledge on the part of their coaches. It's sort of an insurance policy against uninformed coaches.

If skaters have done the work of looking at the rules in detail, they will also be more likely to be able to think on their feet if they want to change their program layout. IMO the best example of someone who did this, and was able to rework his programs as necessary because of his knowledge, is Jeff Buttle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Corianna View Post
    Hello fans. Did you all notice that Patrick was awarded two perfect tens for Skating Skills? All of the component marks were above nine throughout the score sheet. No one else has come close to that this season. I suspect Kathy Johnson at least facilitated that improvement in artistry.
    I know that there have been complaints about Patrick's PCS marks being so beyond others' and some not believing the spread is justified. This is a debatable topic in some areas. However, if Patrick is not a 10 in skating skills I don't know who is.

ETA- post 3000!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    he said during the press conference that he didn't know doing a single in a combo jump would get you -3 so that's never going to happen again I'm sure.
    Well it is an automatic -3 in the short as it is an incomplete combination. It was obviously an involuntary pop so there wasn't much he could do about it really, other than not attempt the combination at all and do the 3toe after the 3lutz instead. However, the 4toe landing wasn't so shaky that he couldn't do the combination...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Well it is an automatic -3 in the short as it is an incomplete combination. It was obviously an involuntary pop so there wasn't much he could do about it really, other than not attempt the combination at all and do the 3toe after the 3lutz instead. However, the 4toe landing wasn't so shaky that he couldn't do the combination...
    I dunno...To me it looked the single toe was tacked on because there was pretty much zero height and attack going into the jump. When I saw it I thought it was a turn out on the quad or something. I am guessing Patrick thought he needed to wing in another jump to save the combo but didn't know doing a single would still make the element incomplete. He could totally save the toe and do a 3toe after the 3Lz though but that's a mental issue I suppose.

vCash
    I was thrilled with Patrick's programs this weekend in Russia. I couldn't believe the perfection of the 3 axel in the short! And CBC aired the Jeff/Patrick video in their segment called "A Skater's Life", showing how they worked on the choreography for the SP. I am so glad I saw that as I was FFing through some of the rest of the competition. I thought Patrick looked much more focused and calm in his opening pose for La Boheme, and I was jumping up and down when he nailed both quads.

Now, only a few weeks until GPF and then I also have a ticket to see Patrick skate in Celebration On Ice in Stratford, ON on Dec. 13th. Maybe he could debut the new Dean program at GPF and then repeat it at COI? That would be so cool. I have to say I enjoy the new EX he skated at Skate Canada too, it's quite understated, but gorgeous skating skills on display. Really, he could just stroke around the ice and I'd be mesmerized. :p

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar
    I checked a few other videos on that page and bumped into Jeffrey and Patrick working out the details in Elegy.
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskati...02899715&tab=1
    I thought Elegy was a fantastic program when I saw Chan skating this routine at the 2012 Worlds Gala but I am bit underwhelmed by it as a program for competition. I feel that the hard jumps - quad and 3A - overpower this quiet and dreamy piece by Rachmaninov and I'm still not entirely happy with the footwork section.
    Yes VarBar, I think we all tend to compare Elegy the Ex to Elegy the competitive and shortened piece and may find it harder to appreciate the competitive version as the Ex has more freedom to express itself.

Thanks. Patrick’s smile brightens my day!

Quote Originally Posted by Corianna
    Did you all notice that Patrick was awarded two perfect tens for Skating Skills?
    Yes, we did. And as Accordion said, some detractors think it’s not justified. Oh well, detractors are never satisfied since many refused to accept that Patrick currently has the best skating skills among his peers. Even Valentin Piseev acknowledged Patrick’s superior skating skills in his interview here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...alentin-Piseev

Quote Originally Posted by Walei
    I am guessing Patrick thought he needed to wing in another jump to save the combo but didn't know doing a single would still make the element incomplete.
    Yeah, I don’t think he meant to do a single but ended with one not knowing it’s a 3 point deduction. As he said, now he knows

Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast