Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I've been thinking about both VM & PC. We have less than two years to enjoy their wonderful skating so lets do just that - enjoy them. Pray for them and not worry about the marks!

vCash
    Emdee, I concur.

vCash
    emdee & fscric, I concur 2.
    And I am one guilty party to the commotion.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PCFan View Post
    Let me start with the good, Patrick has shown considerable improvement with his expression and it was clearly evident this past weekend. But, as the resident worrywart, Patrick appears to be back to square one with regards to his 3A. For comparison sake, pre Kathy Johnson, over a span of 6 competitions, Patrick downgrade his 3A to a 2A twice, a hand down once and zero falls. Patrick was conquering his nemesis, only to see it rear its ugly head again. I cannot recall the last time Patrick under rotated a 3A. I'm concerned. I hope Patrick proves me wrong. However, if this technical regression is a trend, I also hope Patrick won't hesitate to make a move.
    PCFan, it might be too early for us to judge the quality of Patrick's 3A these days. We know from live reporters he landed this jump solidly several times in practices and warmups this current season. Kurt said he saw Chan in practice and his jumps look fine, it's all going on in his head, Patrick's that is. I suspect he just had a bad takeoff on the 3A in the FS and that's why he underrotated the jump. Chan also underrotated a 3Lz at JO last year but never repeated that mistake all season long as far as I remember. But sure, if Chan underrotating turns out to be more than an accident of early season, I too hope he will do whatever he thinks he needs to do to fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    emdee & fscric, I concur 2.
    And I am one guilty party to the commotion.
    What commotion?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    I've been thinking about both VM & PC. We have less than two years to enjoy their wonderful skating so lets do just that - enjoy them. Pray for them and not worry about the marks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    Amen. I'm gonna miss them so much I don't even wanna think about it I just wanna savour every performance and enjoy them and their talents no matter what the results. I feel very fortunate to have witnessed their skating careers. They are both an absolute joy and pleasure to watch, can't ask for more than that.

vCash
    Ok guys, admission: I have yet to view his LP, neither from JO or Skate Canada. I've been pretty mum in this thread and it is not because I have forsaken Patrick. I just want him to skate well. And it's a little heart breaking to hear that he's experiencing challenges. I hope he has an amazing and positive support system around him that can cocoon him, in the way that his fans here are trying to. I really hope he has that in his immediate zone, so that he can be protected, in a way, and encouraged and nurtured.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ali_dorate View Post

He said something like "make something beautiful out of nothing", "something great just out of silence".
    I became convinced that Jeff purposefully put that part of music to the step sequence so that Patrick can create beautiful sounds of his blades between notes of piano. It's almost like an ensemble of a piano and his blades.
    I want to listen to that music more.
    I know it's a big challenge but no one but Patrick can make that kind of music on the ice. I'm sure this is the SP that will develop his own style.
    Great observation. I love the sound of Patrick's blades and the step sequence in his SP is a thing of beauty. Even Simon from British eurosport who has never been a Patrick fan loved his SP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dygp8...OgHA_9m0Cse1Gg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    PCFan, it might be too early for us to judge the quality of Patrick's 3A these days. We know from live reporters he landed this jump solidly several times in practices and warmups this current season. Kurt said he saw Chan in practice and his jumps look fine, it's all going on in his head, Patrick's that is. I suspect he just had a bad takeoff on the 3A in the FS and that's why he underrotated the jump. Chan also underrotated a 3Lz at JO last year but never repeated that mistake all season long as far as I remember. But sure, if Chan underrotating turns out to be more than an accident of early season, I too hope he will do whatever he thinks he needs to do to fix the problem.
    I think it's great that Patrick is landing 3A's in practice, but the problem is his technique is breaking down under pressure in the heat of competition. So maybe it is a mental issue and that's where an experienced coach can help.

vCash
    What commotion?
    For being naggy and a worrywart.

vCash
    I think it's great that Patrick is landing 3A's in practice, but the problem is his technique is breaking down under pressure in the heat of competition. So maybe it is a mental issue and that's where an experienced coach can help.
    Bad habits usually tend to come back when one is too nervous or under too much pressure or don't trust themselves enough or don't care enough and I agree with you that an elite coach would probably know what to do to calm a skater down or pump him up and instill him confidence before competition. Maybe Patrick missed the 3A in both of his programs at WTT this year because he felt lost and vulnerable without his former main coach by his side, maybe. On the other hand though, while Christy gave Chan the quad and fixed his 3A and Nichol gave him winning choreographies and while he won every eligible competition he entered last season, he started to feel that something was missing and my question is how can a bored, frustrated and unmotivated skater be successful, shouldn't he try to change a few things and go along a different path to regain motivation and interest? Is Kathy Johnson the right person and are the Buttle/Wilson programs the right choreographies to lead him to further success in his skating career? I don't know but at least you can't blame Chan for not trying.

Great observation. I love the sound of Patrick's blades and the step sequence in his SP is a thing of beauty. Even Simon from British eurosport who has never been a Patrick fan loved his SP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dygp8...OgHA_9m0Cse1Gg
    Perhaps someone should tell Patrick that at least he has the approval of British Eurosport. Both commentators think that his presentation this year is a step up on previous seasons and that he most likely did the right thing. Thanks, PCfan, I hadn't watched the BE version before.

For being naggy and a worrywart.

Oh, that. Well, I personally think you just expressed the concerns and worries of many PC supporters and I don't see any commotion in your feeling the need to share your thoughts with other fans of Patrick. Pleading not guilty for you.

vCash
    Article by Scotts Russell, CBC Sports: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/opinion/201...edicament.html

So when Chan lost a major competition for the first time in almost two years at Skate Canada last weekend, alarm bells started to ring. The critics were vocal and wondered aloud if the 21-year-old had lost his edge on the rest of the field.

But the reality is, Chan made a conscious decision at the outset of this season to not stand pat. He's changed coaches and choreographers and hasn't yet found his rhythm. If the truth is told, he's looked unsure of himself, even bumbling at times as he struggled through the Japan Open and then finished as the silver medallist at Skate Canada.

Here's what's patently obvious: Chan is fully aware that the competition is biting at his heels. It's getting pretty close. Everyone can see that.

Figure skaters are raising the bar every time out, and the old bag of tricks can get stale in a hurry.

Chan knows that nothing is a given and anything can happen on the field of play.
    Frank Shorter:"A good athlete always mentally replays a competition over and over, even in victory, to see what might be done to improve the performance the next time".

We support you Patrick all the way.

vCash
    Article by Scotts Russell, CBC Sports: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/opinion/201...edicament.html

Frank Shorter:"A good athlete always mentally replays a competition over and over, even in victory, to see what might be done to improve the performance the next time".

We support you Patrick all the way.
    Well said, spikydurian!

You definitely can't say that Patrick's problem is complacency.

First, all the naysayers that criticized his lack of a quad.
    "You want a quad? How about 3?"

Then his "lack of artistry and movement".
    Boom. Elegie. Poor artistry and beauty.

All I have to say is: Well played, Patrick.

I'm not worried about him at the point in the year because this is the first time he's done 2 new programs in awhile and I think time and more mileage will get those programs were they need to be. This is where Patrick thrives, when the pressure is really on.

vCash
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Thanks, Clarie.

Here is Patrick with Maxim Kovtun.

http://instagram.com/p/RtK2XliBe1/

I hope Patrick will skate a little bit better at Cup of Russia than he did at Skate Canada and give himself the opportunity to compete on Sochi ice before the 2014 OG by qualifying for the GPF.

vCash
    Thanks, Clarie.

Here is Patrick with Maxim Kovtun.

http://instagram.com/p/RtK2XliBe1/

I hope Patrick will skate a little bit better at Cup of Russia than he did at Skate Canada and give himself the opportunity to compete on Sochi ice before the 2014 OG by qualifying for the GPF.
    I sure hope so....thanks for posting the instagram........cute pic. Go Patrick!!!!!!
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    From the practice thread for Rostelecom Cup in Moscow:

"The reporter for TV Asahi (Japanese television) twitted that he saw Patrick Chan training and it was all very positive: he jumped a quad out of the blue and the reporter said his skating was very smooth. Looks like there's no need to worry for Patrick then "

vCash
    We are not worried about Patrick's elements per se. Its just that his body has to accept them with the new program design ie new entrances and transitions. But still good to know that he is jumping well.

Cannot wait to see the programs this weekend.

vCash
    From a Russian twitter feed, Patrick wasn't impressive, falling three times. This is pretty normal for Patrick though, so nothing can be read into it.

vCash
    A few practice photos.

http://www.fskate.ru/photos/image16177.jpg

http://www.fskate.ru/photos/image16178.jpg

http://www.fskate.ru/photos/image16179.jpg

The caption for this last picture writes "Canada's figure skater Richard Dornbush Trankov training before the beginning of the fourth stage of the Grand Prix series'' but I think it's Patrick spinning.

http://visualrian.ru/en/images/zooms/RIAN_1283235.jpg

http://visualrian.ru/en/site/gallery/#1283235/context

Good luck, Patrick!

Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast