Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

vCash
    Artsciboy certainly has a creative understanding of what constitutes an uber (since this is, after all, an 'uber' thread).

I don't think it's ever wise for a skater to talk to Rosie Dimanno, given her track record in reporting. On the other hand, I actually agree with everything that Patrick Chan was quoted as saying in her article i.e. I think the World Team Trophy IS a useless competition, that it IS created only to generate money for the ISU, that the ISU did in fact create it without any concern for the welfare of the skaters involved (ridiculous timing) and therefore it IS in fact exploitation of the skaters involved.

I'm glad that someone prominent enough to be quoted finally had the courage to say what many other skaters probably already think, but can't say. Virtue/Moir, Davis/White, Pechelat/Bourzat or Bobrova/Soloviev, for example, can't risk that in their highly politicized discipline. Patrick has enough of a reputation that he can say what he thinks about it, although I'm sure he will suffer somewhat in the short term for his comments.

I suppose that if he actually wanted his comments to get some publicity, Rosie Dimanno is the perfect vehicle for it. If that's the case, it may not actually be poor judgement about a reporter, but rather great judgement about how to use a sub-standard but prominent reporter as a vehicle to promote his views.

If true, I suppose that would be exploitation of Rosie Dimanno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Have you met with clarie before Bournekraatzfan? If not, I hope you two get to meet up.
    You're so sweet, spiky clarie has long been one of my favourite posters (since back in the day then there was a B&K thread), and we live in the same city but have yet to meet. I only started posting regularly (and thus getting to know fellow members better) last season and i am so glad that we will finally have a chance to meet

Re: Patrick's comments. I agree with both artsciboy and blueglass. He is still young, but he definitely has to learn to be more responsible about what he says (he especially has to watch using words like 'everyone' as i really do not believe he thinks that he speaks or everyone). Some skaters seem to genuinely like WTT and created wonderful moments there and a lot of fans (myself included) enjoy the event as well, and I think he should be careful that his words don't detract from that. Having said that, i can't stand DiManno, and i find the article hilarious because it is such a trainwreck, especially considering that Patrick is a target for so many. I agree that the level of vitriol directed at him is unjustified, and I also agree that he hasn't said anything too terrible. I can understand him not being crazy about having to do this event, given its timing and all. I just think he has to choose his words more carefully.

vCash
    If any other skater had made those comments, I'm sure it would be a different story. I've even read complaints and concerns over this comp by members of this board, not to mention the lesser statements made by virtue (not Virtue ) of not attending if they weren't forced. But because it's Patrick being honest, he gets hanged, drawn, and quartered by haterz.............hmmm, double standard ya think?
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    If any other skater had made those comments, I'm sure it would be a different story
    I'm not so sure about that. I think it is the consequence of being very successful at anything. That success ensures that your words have a prominence that they would not otherwise have. He has been, after all the world champion for three years running, so he gets more attention than almost any other skater right now.

Plushenko or Yagudin certainly were hanged, drawn and quartered at equivalent times in their careers based on what they said. Kurt Browning attracted the same kind of attention, although he was protected somewhat because the social media didn't exist to the same extent when he was at his peak. Even Maxim Trankov has started to be analysed to death in the past two years, since V/T have become successful.

The only very successful skaters who haven't had this happen to them are those who say almost nothing, or only speak in a very controlled environment, such as Savchenko/Szolkowy or Yu-Na Kim.

vCash
    I would hope another article of the same contents written by other more respectable journalists would surface so that I could have a better idea of what were really said by Patrick. Given the track record of this person on writing about Patrick, I wouldn't be surprised if she had purposely twisted and exaggerated his words to attract the haterz. But ... is it too much to hope that Patrick only speaks to visual media?!

vCash
    I think that is the journalist is the master of "twisted and exaggerated"
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    I think that is the journalist is the master of "twisted and exaggerated"
    No doubt, but Patrick needs to be more guarded with the media or he will suffer the same fact as Lloyd Eisler. (People dislike him so they disliked his skating.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    No doubt, but Patrick needs to be more guarded with the media or he will suffer the same fact as Lloyd Eisler. (People dislike him so they disliked his skating.)
    I totally agree with you and Bournekraazfan that Patrick should be more careful with his choice of words but I've noticed that the harshest and most persistent Chan dissing usually comes from people whose favorite skaters are anything but saints and whenever their favorites put their feet in their mouths, they would either defend them even beyond reason or pretend that the criticizable comments never existed. So I am with clarie about the double standard, I'm guessing that what we see is just the hypocritical side of human nature in its full splendor.

I didn't know people dislike Llyod Eisler. Funny because I always enjoyed Eisler in Stars on Ice, am I too supposed to dislike his skating now?

Quote Originally Posted by Bournekraatzfan View Post
    Having said that, i can't stand DiManno, and i find the article hilarious because it is such a trainwreck, especially considering that Patrick is a target for so many.
    I am not quite familiar with DiManno, I've ran into just a few of her articles and they were all about Chan and all sounding like random chats over lunch or dinner. Has she ever reported on yet other skaters? Some might want to say that DiManno is a good journalist because she knows how to sell a story. Just imagine she would have approached Duhamel/Radford for an interview, who would have shared their positive WTT experience with her, how many people do you think would have read her D/R material? I bet it would have passed almost unnoticed.

vCash
    DiManno prefers to stir it up whenever she can. I have come to the conclusion that if she has written something, I don't want to read it. She know how to take things out of context and does it well. She is Canada's answer to Phil Hersh. Any chance we can send the two of them somewhere cold? Say like the South Pole?
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    If any other skater had made those comments, I'm sure it would be a different story. I've even read complaints and concerns over this comp by members of this board, not to mention the lesser statements made by virtue (not Virtue ) of not attending if they weren't forced. But because it's Patrick being honest, he gets hanged, drawn, and quartered by haterz.............hmmm, double standard ya think?
    Poor Patrick. Every word spoken is twisted to appear evil and arrogant by his haterz. Don't worry, someday when I turn professional haterz, I can do the same to the haterz's favourite skaters.

Quote Originally Posted by blueglass
    I don't think Patrick has said anything so terrible - if you actually listen to him give an interview as opposed to what the print media writes, he is the polar opposite of cocky and arrogant. He is a very likeable, humble guy who is also very conscious of his abilities and talent - and when did that become such a crime in a high performance athlete? He's criticised and vilified for winning events when he falls. But why should he have to sit back and take it when everybody and their dog is trashing him? The judging system is not his fault, but the vitriol keeps coming. He's allowed to stand up for himself.
    Double standards, blueglass. When Patrick stands up for himself, haterzz think he is arrogant and should take the crap thrown at him quietly instead.

Quote Originally Posted by profdeb
    DiManno prefers to stir it up whenever she can. I have come to the conclusion that if she has written something, I don't want to read it. She know how to take things out of context and does it well. She is Canada's answer to Phil Hersh. Any chance we can send the two of them somewhere cold? Say like the South Pole?
    I can't imagine what will happen if you put the two of them together. I am sure with journalists like these two, we miss the late Randy Starkman. What a far cry ....
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    DiManno strikes again! Don't talk to her! Frankly I don't see the big deal with what Patrick says(and I guarantee it's been 'altered'. Right Rosie). I'd bet the farm he's not alone in his feelings. Again Patrick doesn't choose his words carefully enough, he's not very articulate and he probably needs to shut it for his own good but frankly at this point I don't see it happening but you know what I don't really care. I still like him and I love his skating. So sue me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sequins View Post
    DiManno strikes again! Don't talk to her! Frankly I don't see the big deal with what Patrick says(and I guarantee it's been 'altered'. Right Rosie). I'd bet the farm he's not alone in his feelings. Again Patrick doesn't choose his words carefully enough, he's not very articulate and he probably needs to shut it for his own good but frankly at this point I don't see it happening but you know what I don't really care. I still like him and I love his skating. So sue me
    I am with you sequins. Actually, I have grown fonder of him after all the rubbish being thrown at him. Or he just reminds me of my own politically incorrect son with the most politically correct wife. OK, Tess you betcha teach dear Patrick how to use the right words like fat=voluptuous, skinny=slender, ugly looking=so-so looking, stupid=mildly slow etc. etc.

vCash
    Totally agree with sequins and spikey! I'm so tired of all this negativity that I rarely bother to read it or respond. I am kind of puzzled that ANY skater would open their mouth around Hersh or DiManno, but oh well... One thing I do find exciting and exhilarating are the recent interviews that have been popping up, all having some content: particularly Jenny and Dave's TSL podcasts! Also Dave Gordon's, I think n-halifax(?) They're positive and interesting.
    Anyway, Go Patrick at SOI!

vCash
    Me too. i've given up reading the negative posts entirely, limiting my use FSU to this forum and TV alerts, and hard news. Always nice to meet the ladies here though. I'm going to SOI Toronto, but with a friend who is only a very casual fan, so we are not seated on the ice, and it will be therefore difficult to say hi to you all.

vCash
    I hope you all have a wonderful time at CSOI Toronto! I am sure you will

I feel so lucky to have met clarie. She is absolutely lovely and we had a lot of fun chatting.

Okay, I have to tell you that Patrick was awesome tonight! He performed "I Need a Dollar" and "Mannish Boy" and was on in both numbers. In his first number, he managed to catch the hat and manoeuver it with ease. I wasn't crazy about this exhibition the first time I saw it but I thoroughly enjoyed it tonight. He has tightened up many of the moves so he looks so much cooler now when he performs this choreography. What I love most about his skating is his edge quality. He really can do anything with those blades, and that facility translates into a wonderful playfulness in this number. The crowd ate it up and he received some of the loudest ovations of the night (for both his numbers). And he got a "yeah, Patrick" from an excited fan in the audience

And "Mannish Boy" has continued to develop. He has really opened up his body and learned to work it out there. He got several hoots and hollers as you would imagine--he was totally hot out there. It didn't hurt that his outfit nicely highlighted his gorgeous physique. And I think the audience really appreciated how he sunk into the movements and made a real effort to connect with them. When he took his bows, he even flexed his muscles playfully at one point--it was really cute! A woman in my section yelled "We love you Patrick" as the lights went out after his performance.

He was terrific in the group numbers and seemed to really enjoy the interaction with the other skaters. In the "Marchin' On" cast number, performed in a military style with red and black outfits that reflected this theme, some of the guys placed their umbrellas across the girls' backs and danced with them, and Patrick did this really well with Meagan. It was a lot of fun.

I also have to mention that in the "Come Together" cast number, some fans wanted to get Patrick's attention and he actually took the time to acknowledge them and shake their hands. He did this with quite a few people, which was so nice to see. And again, as he was leaving the ice after the final bows, others were calling out to him so he lingered for a few moments. He shook hands with them, chatted a bit with them and waved to them when he finally left the ice. It was very, very sweet.

The show was really well choreographed an performed. The skaters all did an incredible job and I urge anyone who is considering attending to do so. Also, if you have not yet bought your ticket and you are a CAA member, go to the SOI website and look under the heading 'tickets' at the top. The last option is for CAA members. They will prompt you to enter your CAA number and will then give you a code which you will enter in the coupon/promo code area on the ticket page. You will get a 25% discount, so it is definitely worth it. With the discount you can get tickets for less than $30 (this is the least expensive ticket). I attended the Kingston show, and I was happy with the seat I got at this price, so do keep this in mind if yo are attending a show at a smaller arena. There might not be much of a difference between the seats offered at this price and the ones offered at the next price level.

vCash
    ^^ Thanks Bkfan for the report. So glad that you met up with clarie. Sounds like you all had a good time getting to know each other which I am not at all surprised.

Love the detailed report on Patrick's skate and happy to hear both skaters and audience all had a good time. I love the group picture and found the costumes intriguing and interesting. Something different. Can't wait to watch the vids. Kudos to Buttle as I understand he's one of the choreographer. Bkfan, I think Patrick should request your services as his media person so that he won't be misquoted by Miss Rosie or Mr Phil.

vCash
    As anticipated Bournekratzfan's report is intricate and accurate and so detailed that there isn't much to add, except that Patrick looked very comfortable in the group numbers and I could really see where his dancing and movement have certainly improved especially with his hands, shoulders, and arms. He was "bringin' it". I never used to think he was sexy, but I have now refined my opinion....he is a very sexy young man and his smile lights up the arena. I sure as h*ll don't get the haterz.

Meeting up with BKfanand her mother was a real treat. She is so knowledgable and can do the number crunching and detailed descriptions which I can't do. We had a wonderful discussion over coffee after the show and found out we only live a few blocks from one another, so I'm hoping we get a chance to meet up again in the future if anything like this comes to Kingston again..

If anyone gets the chance I "ditto" BKfan's suggestion that you go see it. The group numbers alone are worth it. I don't know how the current competitors had the time to fit in so smoothly as it was very well rehearsed and spot on and very sychro-ish. The costumes were impressive.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Bournekraatzfan and clarie, thank you so much for the report. I really hope there will be videos available on YT soon.

vCash
    I would definitely go to see the show if I lived in Canada or a close-by area, I am a big fan of the SOI cast numbers and group numbers, I thought most of the ones I saw in the past were terrific and there's a few of them I go back to and rewatch from time to time.

Thanks for your lovely reports, Bkf and clarie.

Patrick is the cutest kid and Kurt is the cutest dad to those kids.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BIlP2BjCUAIVL1I.jpg:large

vCash
    He was "bringin' it". I never used to think he was sexy, but I have now refined my opinion....he is a very sexy young man and his smile lights up the arena. I sure as h*ll don't get the haterz.
    I suppose there are some things you cannot judge from afar. Patrick is probably someone whom you need to watch on ice and get to know to appreciate him. Definitely not for print for printed words can be easily misinterpreted.

Meeting up with BKfanand her mother was a real treat. She is so knowledgable and can do the number crunching and detailed descriptions which I can't do. We had a wonderful discussion over coffee after the show and found out we only live a few blocks from one another, so I'm hoping we get a chance to meet up again in the future if anything like this comes to Kingston again..
    Now clarie, I envy you. You have not only found a skating buddy in BkF and MumBkF but near neighbour too.

If anyone gets the chance I "ditto" BKfan's suggestion that you go see it. The group numbers alone are worth it. I don't know how the current competitors had the time to fit in so smoothly as it was very well rehearsed and spot on and very sychro-ish. The costumes were impressive.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by VarBar
    Patrick is the cutest kid and Kurt is the cutest dad to those kids
    Poor Kurt. He'll probably feel old. Let's call him big brother to those kids instead. It's amazing that he can still skate so well at his age, and he certainly doesn't look 46 (ok..except his hair).

Emdee and Corianna's attending tomorrow night. Hey Emdee and Corianna, do post your thoughts. Emdee, I hope your DD take some nice pictures.

Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast