Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bibi View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiLzxxWONec
    What did he say from 10:50 to 11:00 ?? I can't understand but it seems quite funny
    Fernandez's English isn't very easy to understand because of his strong Spanish accent but I think he said "I hear I am the only lazy here. I'm on vacations."

vCash
    I love this photo. The guys, Balde, Fernandez, Amodio, Oda and Patrick are definitely having great fun together.

And here's Patrick with his girlfriend, Tess.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    This passing on of knowledge and skills must continue otherwise, it will create a big gap in future. Different coaches have contributed to Patrick's growth post Coulson and they too have taught him well in other areas.
    i think once Patrick has retired, it will probably be something that he will look at.

vCash
    There is just not enough action on this thread! I feel like people are getting down about the Worlds Free Program and or the controversy and or just how difficult it is to be a PC fan in this time.

So I would like to post about how much I appreciate Patrick Chan's skating. I was at the Worlds this year and had the honour to be there for the World Record Short program. And for everyone saying he was overmarked - think again. It was exquisite in person and if you compare it marks wise to Hanyu's previous world record score - I can't see how anyone could argue. I am so grateful I got to see that program.

I have now seen Patrick skate the most incredible short program and the most incredible Free program (Canadian Championship 2011) and having seen that combination of 2 of the Worlds most amazing programs I am proud to call myself an uber. I was sad that he was not able to put together a flawless - or TBH a near flawless program for the free program at Worlds this year - but overall that particular session of skating was just not great. The exception of course was Dennis Ten - and I also thought Brian Joubert (and I am normally not a huge fan) rose to the occasion. But the rest were either overcome with nerves or exhaustion or injuries or a combination thereof. And in the competition overall - had Hanyu, or Fernandez or Takahashi skated near their potential - they would have won. And I wish that people would remember that. I am a big fan of Hanyu's and an even bigger fan of Takahashi - but they just did not skate well. Hanyu looked like he was barely going to make it through the free program and I feel like I didn't see the real Takahashi all week until the Exhibition. Then I was reminded of how incredible he could be.

Anyhow - I am in awe when I see Patrick skate in person and could quite happily pay to watch him do crossovers. Throw in a turn here and there and the sound of his blades on the ice and I am beyond content. Yes - his skating skills are THAT GOOD. Part of me wonders what he would be like as and icedancer - but then to get to see how gorgeous a quad can be!

I am grateful for every chance I have had to see Patrick skate and especially ecstatic about the times I have seen him in person. I also greatly admire his courage in trying new things to grow as a skater and contribute more to the sport. He could have kept succeeding as he was skating last year - but he wanted to grow as a performer and by working with new choreographers.

It is too bad so many have become consumed with bringing him down / shouting about his faults and been blinded from seeing one of the greatest skaters of all time. And yes - I realize he falls and makes mistakes. Believe me - there is no way his detractors would ever let any of us forget that. But which skaters in all history have not have had shortcomings or "faults" Which skaters have had IT ALL? And more importantly which skaters have had IT ALL as it is now defined with IJS?

Dennis Ten was terrific at Worlds this year - but he has had more than his share of disappointing results - and in all honesty his SS do not compare to PC's Takahashi - my other favourite - has been plagued with inconsistency - even before his injuries began to affect him so much. Plushenko may be the most consistent skater of all time - but he has done so by using charisma, posing and way watered down programs to earn his performance and choreography marks. Fernandez and Hanyu are inconsistent.

I could keep going but you get the idea.

So to those who might laugh/ scoff/ YELL AT ME IN CAPS for calling Patrick Chan one of the greatest skaters of all time I say this: I am sorry for you that you miss out on enjoying such beauty/elegance and athleticism. I am truly sorry for you.

vCash
    ^^^ *applause*

vCash
    I second that. PAtrick's skating leaves me breathless. After the incredible short at worlds, I was aching for a further triumph in the long, but I have faith that the triumph will come another day.

vCash
    Accordian -- ITA!

vCash
    Out of all the PC haters, I wonder how many of them have ever actually seen him skate live. Because it changes your entire perspective. Before I saw Patrick in person, I didn't care for him much either. But when you actually see the speed he can create without doing very many crosscuts, it's like his skating doesn't even seem physically possible. I've watched a lot of skating over the years, and I've never seen anything like it before.

vCash

Patrick Uber Thread - road to Sochi

Quote Originally Posted by IHeartJeffrey View Post
    Out of all the PC haters, I wonder how many of them have ever actually seen him skate live. Because it changes your entire perspective. Before I saw Patrick in person, I didn't care for him much either. But when you actually see the speed he can create without doing very many crosscuts, it's like his skating doesn't even seem physically possible. I've watched a lot of skating over the years, and I've never seen anything like it before.
    I think that's what gets the judges swooning over him so much. They get to watch practices, they know what he is capable of and they just love watching him skate. Wasn't a judge once quoted as saying he or she could watch him all day long? (Or something to that extent). Other fellow skaters have also remarked about his insane ability. But SS are hard to see sometimes, especially on TV. I love hearing that by seeing him live, people have become fans. I hope he's doing alright among all of the controversy, having fun and getting down to business to come back next season ablaze!

vCash
    there's the world team trophy first. April 4-11. I treasure a hope for a clean- or close to clean - Free skate. And I hope the Canadian team has a great time.

vCash
    Someone posted this photo by Jeremy Abbott on another forum, so it seemed Patrick had fun in Detroit with the other skaters:

http://instagram.com/p/XiIManG8O0/

vCash
    Out of all the PC haters, I wonder how many of them have ever actually seen him skate live. Because it changes your entire perspective.
    I was like this with Carolina Kostner. Finally seeing her at Worlds this year - I see what all the fuss is about!

vCash
    Every time we were at practice in London for the Worlds, I would say "I could sit here and watch him skate around all day". And I mean it. It blows my mind.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    I agree Clarie. Patrick said he wanted to do something for figure skating in Canada, and isn't assisting in improving the skating skills of children a way forward. The blossoming of a flower starts from the seedling. Coulson passed on his skills to his students like Wilson, Brian, Patrick and etc. and created a generation of skaters with good skating skills. This passing on of knowledge and skills must continue otherwise, it will create a big gap in future.
    I didn't know Wilson and Orser worked with Coulson when they were kids and learned the basics of figure skating from Patrick's childhood coach. While it's probably true that some coaches place a lot more emphasis on developing the skating skills of their students than other coaches, being naturally gifted for the sport can make all the difference. Chan is a skating genius and skating prodigies don't come around with each generation of skaters, so I wouldn't expect Patrick to produce yet other little Patricks if he chooses to become a coach. But I'd love to see Chan trying though. Speaking of skating skills, Liam Firus IMO is one other Canadian skater with brilliant basics but unfortunately Liam is struggling even with the triple jumps - as opposed to Kevin who can land two quads in his short program and three quads in his free.

Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    I was like this with Carolina Kostner. Finally seeing her at Worlds this year - I see what all the fuss is about!
    Interesting you say that, IHeartJeffrey and The Accordion. It seems some figure skating fans do need to see Patrick live or Carolina live to be able to understand why the judges love their skating so much. Other fs viewers don't necessarily have to see them in person to understand and yet others, while they did watch both of them skate live on several occasions, still can't see what the fuss is about. Or they can see what the fuss is about with Carolina but not with Chan or the other way around. I don't know how to explain this.

There is just not enough action on this thread! I feel like people are getting down about the Worlds Free Program and or the controversy and or just how difficult it is to be a PC fan in this time.
    Quite frankly, I haven't seen much action in this thread ever since it was started, good times or bad times. Patrick's fans don't seem to be very talkative people - unlike Virtue and Moir's fans for example.
    It's a privilege for me to watch Patrick skate but I can't hide the fact that I was disappointed in his free skate in London, especially coming after his brilliant short. As far as the scoring, I have to trust the judges because I always feel that I don't know enough about the technicalities of figure skating and the judging system to be able to judge the judging and express an educated opinion. I've noticed there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this message board who've been watching figure skating since forever but even they disagree with one other quite frequently. Great post, The Accordion. :respect:

A picture from Detroit that was taken some time before Worlds.

http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...76196103_n.jpg

vCash
    Really nice photo. Patrick once again looks like he's having fun. Missing one hottie in that photo though -- where's Andrew?

As for this topic being quiet, I can only speak for myself in saying it has become a very weary and upward battle trying to defend Patrick. Reading some of the venom spewed towards someone who is trying his best and trying to be honest in his interview, I get feeling down. I cannot believe that some of the posters who rave about and defend Carolina on what she received in PCS aren't arguing the same reasoning for Patrick. Nope, it's always that fracking CHANFLATION label they attach.

I am sick.to.death of reading about how Chan deserves this and Chan is the benefit of that and he's the ISU's darling. What he is, is a young man, an athlete striving to be more than he has been, hoping to leave his mark and legacy in the sport that he loves. When people interview him, he always seems gracious and friendly -- rather approachable. Yeah, sometimes what he says isn't quite PC and there may be times he wishes he could take back something he said (don't we all?) but still in all, I think he's a great ambassador for the sport.

Some may think he's leaving his mark on the sport in the wrong way -- winning titles when, in their opinion, he shouldn't. I think he's already made a mark in showing how one does a great program with actual TRANSITIONS between the elements. His programs weave in and out of elements and when a mistake is made, it usually doesn't leave a lasting impression. Unless, of course, you're one of those Chan haterz. They seize on his every mistake and quite often make it out to be more than it is.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    I concur with ProfDeb. This little thread is a pleasant place or those of us who want to share news, pictures, and a have a little space to rave about the strengths of our favouite to fellow fans, without negativity, snarkiness, or conflicts. Plenty of all that in all our real lives, surely.

vCash
    The way I see it, Patrick has become somewhat of a litmus test separating the knowledgeable from the unknowledgeable. In other words: people who can't appreciate the sheer brilliance of what he does on the ice simply don't understand skating. The ease with which he executes difficult turns while using his entire body, AND blades, to express the music is simply incredible. His balance on the blade during stroking and turns is perfect, even when the jumps escape him. Those who refuse to see that aren't worth arguing with -- about Patrick, or any other skater.

vCash
    I'm really loving the energy in this thread, and the last set of posts are fantastic. For me, Patrick will be THE definitive figure skater of this generation. And I just feel gladdened that I am fan because man what a ride it's been, and what joy I've gained from his skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Accordion
    So to those who might laugh/ scoff/ YELL AT ME IN CAPS for calling Patrick Chan one of the greatest skaters of all time I say this: I am sorry for you that you miss out on enjoying such beauty/elegance and athleticism. I am truly sorry for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corianna
    This little thread is a pleasant place or those of us who want to share news, pictures, and a have a little space to rave about the strengths of our favourite to fellow fans, without negativity, snarkiness, or conflicts. Plenty of all that in all our real lives, surely.
    Agree with everyone. Love this thread where we can rave, share and enjoy everything Patrick besides getting to know each other and perhaps share other interests as well. We must not let those nasties take away our ability to enjoy and laugh.

A fan posted this Japan WTT trailer in another forum. And another kind fan helped to translate some parts of the vid:

The older man is Mr. Sano, the first Japanese medalist at the Worlds in 1977.
    He was explaining how good Patrick's skating is, saying he can keep the position of his head in the air even while bending and stretching his knees when he skates, on the other hand, poor skaters' heads go up and down while skating.

The young lady is Shizuka Arakawa who won the gold medal in Turin Olympic.
    She is saying that people used to say Patrick would be unbeatable once he got any harder jumps (such as quads) under his belt and now that his quad has become a powerful weapon for him, he's been developing into a flawless skater.
    I hope Patrick skates his best LP in WTT Japan. Good luck Patrick and all the skaters from all over the world taking part in this competition.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    The people who put Patrick down are those who are jealous and frustrated because their favorites can't compare with him. He's just that much better in all aspects than others, and to me, the greatest. Yes, there are some who come close in some aspects of their skating, but it's very evident when you see him live how much of a super talent he is. There are definitely other skaters (male) whom I enjoy, but Patrick is the icing on the cake.
    Addicted to FSU

Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast