Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

vCash
    I will be driving but I'm still torn on whether or not to pay to park or to park at work and walk back (20-25 minutes). Which one is the Holiday Inn Express? Where is it located? I am in the south end of the city and I plan to attend early morning practices.

vCash
    I'm going to be at practices on Tuesday, Luckiest one. Maybe we'll meet. There are a few of us making vague plans on Golden Skate. Very vague.

Could you tell me where the practice rink is in relation to Budweiser? I've certainly spent time at the Western Fair- where i gather it is, but so long ago that I can't picture it at all. I guess now I'll be lost beyond Richmond St. I used to live fifty miles north on Highway 4.

vCash
    Western Fair is straight east along Dundas. About a ten minute drive I'd say. I'm still hoping they'll offer some shuttle buses or something because if we arrive at Budweiser Gardens and pay to park in a public lot, I doubt we'll be able to move our cars without losing our spots. I don't think they are going to offer in and out parking services.

vCash
    I'll be taxi-ing in any case. I have transporation from the hotel and back on competition days, but we're on our own for practices, and I think the men's is at WF late afternoon Tues.

vCash
    I'm getting so excited for the first men's practice at Western Fair on Monday the 11th! It starts at 7 a.m. but they haven't released the listing of the practice groups yet so I don't know which one Patrick will be in. I have to drop my son off at work at 7:30 and then I am going to head over. I will try to post a report.

vCash
    Thanks Luckiest1
    I will only get there on tuesday night or wednesday morning but have to go over to western fair ( I think) to pick up the parking pass. its a good thing I got it as the one from the hotel hasnt yet arrived,

vCash
    Emdee I look forward to meeting you. Yes, good thing you bought the pass!

vCash
    I'll be at the practices Tues. Luckiest 1. Hope to see you there.

vCash
    Anyone knows who Patrick was training in Detroit with? ( saw a tweet from Lynn R.)

vCash
    No this is really interesting!
    Hope he has a good tech coach. Who is there?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    No this is really interesting!
    Hope he has a good tech coach. Who is there?
    Yuka Sato and Jason Dandgent

vCash
    Jason Dungjen is the correct spelling. There should be articles later...
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I thought of that. The question is is Yuka a good tech coach? Jason is more a pairs person isnt he? Now that Kuzuka's out this year and all Yuka's clients are injured ( Jeffrey and Alissa) maybe he goes going to her. it is also close to London so we wont be careering around the country.

vCash
    I think he is trying to find the place more comfortable for him

vCash
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    The 22-year-old and his coach, Kathy Johnson, arrived in Detroit two weeks ago to prepare for the 2013 World Figure Skating Championships in London, Ontario, beginning March 10.
    Chan has not trained with any of the DSC-based coaches, who include Jason Dungjen and Yuko Sato, and continues to work strictly with Johnson.

"The good thing [about Johnson] is she is very mobile; wherever I decide to go, she will go," he said. "If I choose to be in Colorado or Detroit, it doesn't matter. We've worked in both rinks. I didn't think about taking from anyone else."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Also isnt Kathy Johnson a dance coach to some of the skaters there? W&P for example?

vCash
    I hope that this two weeks will help to put his head in the right place for Worlds. I believe that he has everything technical that he needs to win, it's just confidence at this point. I'm happy that he seems to have found a positive environment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luckiest1 View Post
    I hope that this two weeks will help to put his head in the right place for Worlds. I believe that he has everything technical that he needs to win, it's just confidence at this point. I'm happy that he seems to have found a positive environment.
    I agree. He has all the .goods.. It's just delivering them at right place right time. He seems very comfortable with Johnson though people may think she may not be the right coach. But what is right and what is wrong and only the skater knows and chooses. As a fan, I will be most happy for him to succeed in getting that elusive OGM for Canada. I guess what motivated him to give another four years is the OGM? Winning the OGM will be great not only for Patrick, but for Canada. It will help to raise the profile of figure skating in men and encourage the next generation of kids to take up figure skating, if not for competition then for fun. Herein lies one of the keys to finding and nurturing the future generation of talented skaters. Didn't he take up skating because he wants to play hockey? But ended up catching the eye of Colson who nurtured him. Patrick had talked about his hopes in playing a part in encouraging the kids to take up skating.

My good wishes will be with Patrick. He is not skating as well this season and my hopes are realistic. Any medals I am happy but of course, gold is the best. (Kwong mentioned that 'Patrick will have the fight of his life this coming worlds'.)

Emdee, luckiest, Coriana ... have lots of fun. I will be there with you all in spirit and thoughts. I will be in Melbourne at the time of competition so I am not able to watch the live streaming. Please take lots of pictures and PM to me. I am as excited as you all (and hope to meet you lovely ladies some day ... you never know)
    Last edited by spikydurian; 03-01-2013 at 10:18 PM.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    From that same icenetwork article, I found this interesting
    O'Brien, who also works with hockey star Sidney Crosby, reviewed Chan's diet and off-ice workout routine, down to his breakfast and post warm-up supplements, and provided guidance on other matters.

"[O'Brien] has experience with Sidney Crosby, who strives for perfection at all times, and I see myself as bit of perfectionist," Chan said. "It was good to talk about how to deal with the challenge to repeat as world champion. It was a very good week, a very productive week."

From there, Chan traveled to Toronto to work with choreographers Jeff Buttle and David Wilson on his programs, including a short to Rachmaninoff and free to music from La Boheme.

"We changed the patterns and even the order of some of the jumps," Chan said. "I felt I was struggling, mostly in the long program. [The changes] make it easier to be consistent with the elements."
    and then he finished with this
    "It will be weird to have a car with me, but it's going to be interesting," he said. "It will be good not to have to deal with jet lag or [unfamiliar] food. I know my way around London, so if need anything, it will be very easy."
    which put a large smile on my face.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Lovely post, Spikeydurian. i'm thinking of taking my laptop with me, so I may be able to report. i'll leave the pictures to the others - at least until my skating buddy arrives on Thurs. She's the one who likes taking photos. I agree about Patrick's needing to get his head in a better place, and possibly break out of the pattern he seems to have been in - other than at Cup of Russia where he did quite all right. All of the lads have had uneven results this season, even Javi at his nationals. I hope they all bring their A game and Patrick pulls off a win. And I'll miss seeing Taka.

My buddy and I are Newfoundlanders, (I'm not living there now, but she still is) and so we're also really rooting for Kaetlyn Osborne to make the top ten. And as someone who lived 50 miles north of London for most of my adult life, it will be thrilling to see Tessa and Scott at home. This has to be the most exciting Worlds ever for me.

Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast