Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    I am too.......and going to see what kind of had I can find
    I think Patrick is frank and funny like one of my favourite Sesame St character. So this may be suitable for him!

Quote Originally Posted by luckiest
    Oooh, that would be cool. I'm in for that if it happens (crossing everything imaginable that it will!)

Saturday, Patrick will be making an appearance at the White Oaks mall in Canada's London (hee) for a meet and greet, and in town for the Dragon Gala (he is being honoured). I'm planning to go to the mall to check it out. There is also a skate in the park being advertised by Skate Canada on Monday (family day) with members of the National team. So I'll probably go down and check that out too. I'll have to dust off the skates (and possibly get them sharpened) if I dare to step on the ice though. LOL
    Yes, I have already crossed my eyes, fingers, legs .. now what else can I cross? I am glad I won't be watching live streaming on Worlds. I don't think my heart can take the pressure.

Now luckiest1, I think you should get your skates sharpened and join in the fun and good chance to convey best wishes to all the skaters. Tell Patrick we are looking forward to a HAT trick!

I think you all should get together and meet up. It's nice to put a face to name and someone whom you have been having great conversation with and shared interest in figure skating. Wish I can be there ..... sigh ....
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Is that Monday, March 11th? If so my sweetee and I might lace up our skates too. I hadn't been on skates since I was a teenager, over 50 years ago, but we've bought new skates and gone a few times this winter.......I'm ok as long as he holds my hand It would be so neat to skate on the same ice as Patrick.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Indeed VarBar. Makes it more exciting? .
    I don't mind more excitement but provided it's good excitement, not bad excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Well the days of doubles slowly became doubles and triples and were taken over by the expectation that all jumps are triples. We are now onto triples and quads- it will be interesting to see if the day ever comes where all the jumps are quads ...
    Maybe five to ten years from now a skater doing just two quadruple jumps in the long program will become the standard for 'low technical level'.

Max Aaron too is planning two quads in the SP and three quads in the LP for next season and I think it is the right way to go for him. If Max can land his quads consistently, the PC score will follow and he won't need any major 'artistic' improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    1. Fernandez should really be going for two quads in the short. He can do a 4S out of steps, and has got a solid 4t-3t.

2. I'm gonna argue that focusing on artistry, regardless of what that meant for him personally and what he wants out of his career, has hindered Chan's scoring capabilities. Everything from his jump layout to the way his focus is more split than anything.... it's disappointing.
    1. Orser is using the appropriate strategy for Fernandez IMO.

2, Patrick may have scored a little bit higher on the components this season but I feel that an increased technical difficulty would have boosted his PC mark just as much and he would have had a new quad by now to build on and around moving into the Olympic season. I was disappointed when I heard him say he hadn't been working on any secret weapon for Canadians because I feel that with two quads, an unreliable triple axel in the free skate and the inconsistency we've seen from him all season long, he's leaving everything to chance at Worlds. I hope Patrick will prove me wrong though.

Okay, I'll stop here with my negative rambling, have fun those of you who will meet and greet Patrick at the White Oaks mall on Saturday.

vCash
    Me too! And I'll find a hat. I'm travelling to London Monday night, so i'll take in a couple of sessions Tues.

Re: Patrick's new quad...(s) I think the reason he has postponed it is that late last year he said in an interview that learning the new ones was causing him to mess up on the toe. I've also heard Kurt say that every time a skater introduces a new jump, the old ones go away. His advice (this was not to PAtrick but to an "emerging" skater), was to go for it, take the falls, and eventually all the jumps would come back. But Patrick hasn't been in a position to take that kind of risk this year, as he really wanted the Sochi experience, and was having trouble in general. I suspect he'll have to introduce it one of the new quads soon after Worlds regardless. He's referred to the Sal and the Flip.

vCash
    The skate is this coming Monday Feb 18th (which is a statuatory holiday here, called Family Day).

http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx

There's nothing to say Patrick will be there, but it will still be cool.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    Is that Monday, March 11th? If so my sweetee and I might lace up our skates too. I hadn't been on skates since I was a teenager, over 50 years ago, but we've bought new skates and gone a few times this winter.......I'm ok as long as he holds my hand It would be so neat to skate on the same ice as Patrick.
    Go Clarie go. Time for fun and some romance. Hmmm.. so long MrClarie holds your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Corianna
    Re: Patrick's new quad...(s) I think the reason he has postponed it is that late last year he said in an interview that learning the new ones was causing him to mess up on the toe. I've also heard Kurt say that every time a skater introduces a new jump, the old ones go away. His advice (this was not to PAtrick but to an "emerging" skater), was to go for it, take the falls, and eventually all the jumps would come back. But Patrick hasn't been in a position to take that kind of risk this year, as he really wanted the Sochi experience, and was having trouble in general. I suspect he'll have to introduce it one of the new quads soon after Worlds regardless. He's referred to the Sal and the Flip.
    ??? I didn't know that when one learns a new jump, the others get messed up a bit. I am not a figure skater, anyway. Interesting.

Everyone who is going to the Family Day skate, have fun. Tell us all about it here.

vCash

vCash
    Thanks VarBar. Patrick looks great in his check shirt. Now who are the good looking ladies beside him?

vCash
    I attended the meet & greet at the mall yesterday. They set it up at centre court and Patrick was surrounded by a huge dragon made out of black and red balloons. There were tables set up with plaques that you could purchase for $25, part of which went towards supporting the athletes. His mom & dad were there. There were photographers to take your picture or you could use your own camera, and he would sign whatever you wanted. Since it was my birthday weekend and my mom was with me, she purchased a plaque for me. I was pretty giddy because I've never really met him before. I admit to getting a bit adolescent, but he was gracious and friendly and chatty. I was very impressed and so were others I spoke with. He told me he'd been training in Toronto that week and it was good to be home. I got him to sign my plaque, and also to sign our Worlds ticket books. Here is a link to some pictures we took.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ick-plaque.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...e/SAM_0827.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...e/SAM_0825.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...e/SAM_0822.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...e/SAM_0821.jpg

vCash
    Awesome story luckiest1! Thanks for the details and the photos! And Happy Belated Birthday!

vCash
    Happy happy birthday luckiest1! May all your dreams come true and may you be surrounded by love and laughter. I hope you had a great time with our mum and your family. And a big thank you for taking the time to update us on your visit to the mall and the pictures of Patrick. That would have been a great gift for my forthcoming birthday too.

Here's an article regarding Patrick's visit to White Oaks and his forthcoming visit to London Convention Centre this Saturday and Forest City appearance from March 11-17.

vCash
    Happy Birthday luckiest1. I'm glad you got to meet Patrick. I hope you told him he has some great fans here. Nice memories for you
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Happy Birthday and thank you so much for sharing your story & the photos, luckiest1!
    That plaque is lovely.

vCash
    Happy Birthday and thanks for the pics.

vCash
    Thanks for the birthday wishes. I went down to the Community Skate today and they had Andrei Rogozine & Gabrielle Daleman signing autographs and skating on the rink. It was a gorgeous, sunny day for it. They gave out free Worlds 2013 mittens, and had a draw to win an official Worlds sweatshirt and 4 Worlds practice passes. Today is "family day" in Ontario, so most businesses were closed down and people had the day off work. It was very well attended, the rink was packed.

vCash
    luckiest1, sounds like you got to meet many of the athletes. How exciting. Did you get the free mittens? Are you attending all the events at Worlds including the practices?

vCash
    Yes to the mittens and yes to all events at Worlds, including practices. I have booked the whole week off work. I'm getting very excited!

vCash
    Luckiest1 any suggestions for parking near the rink? Thanks

vCash
    That's the big question, isn't it? Last time (Nationals 2010) I parked at a public lot on Carling between Talbot & Richmond. It wasn't too bad of a walk but you will have to pay whatever they are charging. You can see the public lots on the official site here: http://www.worlds2013.ca/london/pdf/...%20parking.pdf

vCash
    Of course we could take a taxi but returning home those will be few and far between.

Will you be driving to the rink? Any chance you will give us a ride we are staying at the Holiday Inn express - three women. We can share all costs - let me know. Many thanks!

Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast