Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

vCash
    It's true Patrick did say he would likely try either the 4flip or 4sal at nationals, but he also said that last season. I recall how excited he was in an interview with PJ Kwong about his success with the 4sal in practice, for some reason it never materialized. It is quite possible we'll see one at Nationals, but either way he'll need to add a third quad or a second 3A to his FS.

vCash
    I think after the bad skates at Jap and SC, I think his plan right now is to master the jumps he has and the programs. If he decides to keep one or both programs for the Olympic, for sure he will up his ante on the jumps. So he may keep the jumps for next season.

vCash
    Not sure how many of you have seen this interview of Patrick at COR...he's such a cutie.

http://youtu.be/FZxs8exINew

At 11:31 Orser discusses the importance of skating skills and of course he cites Patrick as the gold standard. I love Orser description of Patrick's SS where he emphasizes the unbelievable control Patrick possesses.

It's interesting to see the training Orser and Tracy Wilson put his students through in an effort to improve their SS.

http://youtu.be/GdIzi50EMvM
    Last edited by PCFan; 11-21-2012 at 05:54 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    I hope he does......If there's any place to try it, it's at Nats . I'm really looking forward to seeing how these programs progress there. Gawd, I wish I was able to go because at Worlds I'm going to be a nervous wreck
    Clarie, are you going to both Nationals and Worlds or just Worlds? You get good training on 'nerve control' by watching live streaming/live t.v. telecast from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by PCFan
    Not sure how many of you have seen this interview of Patrick at COR...he's such a cutie.
    http://youtu.be/FZxs8exINew
    Thanks PCFan. The Russians always like to ask about what others think of Plushenko. Fortunately, he didn't get himself into trouble this time.
    It's interesting to see how the blades up close. I think what most fellow skaters marvel is not only the intricate blade work but the speed that go with it. Speed seems to be a common description of Patrick's blade work. And what Orser seems to say is that to reach that pinnacle of skating skills, the blade has to be part of the person. I would assume, that takes years of training .. not something that can be acquired overnight.

I think Patrick is keeping 4S as part of his arsenal which he can use if and when the need arises.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Love that interview PCfan. I had never seen it.

Spiky, I am only going to Worlds, and I'm such a wimpo that I haven't been able to watch any of Patrick's programs this year until they are copied and I know the results........the same with V&M. I am such a coward, but at Worlds I will have to sit in my seat and watch........so I won't be able to wimp out. I love watching Nats and can sit through it because, well, it's Nats, and for Patrick not much of a risk as there is no-one close to him there.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    It's interesting to see how the blades up close. I think what most fellow skaters marvel is not only the intricate blade work but the speed that go with it. Speed seems to be a common description of Patrick's blade work. And what Orser seems to say is that to reach that pinnacle of skating skills, the blade has to be part of the person. I would assume, that takes years of training .. not something that can be acquired overnight.
    I am no expert but I have the feeling no one can get to skate like Patrick Chan years and years of training notwithstanding unless they are Patrick Chan reincarnated because I suspect it's not just a matter of training your skills but also a matter of incredible natural talent with the blade.

Here is what French Eurosport said of Chan back in 2009 when he competed at the World Championships in L.A.

"He doesn't have the quad, Patrick Chan."
    "No but what a triple axel. And I will let you admire the quality of his skating, it's just prodigious."
    "He has no match here."
    "No, he has no match in the SP, don't even think they will place him behind Brian."
    "He doesn't have the quad but he has everything else, quality of skating, quality of gliding, the edges, the spins, everything he does is extremely elegant and secure."
    "Ah, it's perfection. On the figure skating side of it, we've most likely never seen such ease in the men's field. I predict a score of 90. In terms of quality of skating, it's probably the best thing we've seen in a very long time if ever have we seen at all a male skater skate at this level. He is not just a jumper and just a spinner, he is first and foremost a skater, that is to say someone who can move fast and effortlessly through his gliding."

The scores are up for Chan's performance.

"Oh no. We are French, of course, but him being placed behind Lysacek and Brian...it's quite strange, we have to say that...we totally disagree."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyfa...feature=g-hist

vCash
    Did any of Chan's bashers/trashers/haters explain on this board how Hanyu with 2 falls and an obvious loss of speed could win the program components mark in the free skate at NHK to Ross Miner who skated cleanly and apparently maintained his speed? Hanyu landed 2 different quads in his long program and this little detail impressed the judges? Well, Chan too went for 2 quads in Nice, of which one was in combination with a triple jump, and he didn't too-foot land any of them. Perhaps it was Chan's athleticism on the quads that led him to winning his second world title.

From Cup of Russia, SP press conference.

http://data14.gallery.ru/albums/gall...51--u0e9c5.jpg

http://data14.gallery.ru/albums/gall...37--ue7d33.jpg

vCash
    Hanyu is allowed to make mistakes and win because he's young and fresh and new and hasn't won a Worlds or Olys title and hasn't said something people can misinterpret and twist into their own evil version of how he thinks he's above everyone else. But fear not it will come, success breeds contempt and pretty soon his flaws will be the subject title of many a thread. Hanyu's only just begun you need to give people time to build up their spite and resentment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sequins View Post
    Hanyu is allowed to make mistakes and win because he's young and fresh and new and hasn't won a Worlds or Olys title and hasn't said something people can misinterpret and twist into their own evil version of how he thinks he's above everyone else. But fear not it will come, success breeds contempt and pretty soon his flaws will be the subject title of many a thread. Hanyu's only just begun you need to give people time to build up their spite and resentment.
    It saddens me that this is the reality for many skaters who succeed. If we only rewarded those who played it safe with "easier" jumps and choreography, the sport would never advance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    Did any of Chan's bashers/trashers/haters explain on this board how Hanyu with 2 falls and an obvious loss of speed could win the program components mark in the free skate at NHK to Ross Miner who skated cleanly and apparently maintained his speed? Hanyu landed 2 different quads in his long program and this little detail impressed the judges? Well, Chan too went for 2 quads in Nice, of which one was in combination with a triple jump, and he didn't too-foot land any of them. Perhaps it was Chan's athleticism on the quads that led him to winning his second world title.
    They are OK when Hanyu wins with 2 falls and lackluster performance. They didn't complain when Mao with only 4 triples beat Julia who landed 9 triples. Akiko who skated beautifully with clean jumps lost to Mao who doubled and singled most of her jumps, but they say "It's not Mao's fault, but judge's fault. Judges should be penalized!"
    Patrick must win with perfect performance, falls or popped jumps are not allowed, because he is 'Patrick'
    Double standard!

vCash

I would actually have more respect for them if they stated the obvious, which is they don't like Patrick and therefore impose a completely different criteria for him and him alone.

I have been meaning to give props to the man with the best quad combo in skating today and that's Patrick. I love his quad combo, for his air position, height and the incredible distance he gets. It just seems to go on forever...and can't forget the smooth as butter landing. Also, Patrick's entrance to his quad the last two seasons, with the proceeding footwork and edging was so difficult, and under appreciated because he made it look so easy like so many things he does, it was taken for granted by many skating fans. Mind you, the Kurt Browning did acknowledge how insane Patrick's quad entrance was and that everyone else would take a straight line into theirs.

vCash
    Thank you PChiddy ubers for all the vids and photos!

Quote Originally Posted by PCFan View Post
    under appreciated because he made it look so easy like so many things he does, it was taken for granted by many skating fans.
    IMO this is Patrick's biggest problem, not 3A nor consistency. He would be underestimated forever because of his speciality!

Speaking of another quad, I am curious why he does not try switching the second quad and the 3A. although he insisted that his current quad jump is not his best yet, he would surely be able to manage the jump in the second half. I think it's easier than switching one 4T to 4S/4F since he's experienced with 2 4Ts in the program.

BTW I personally prefer 4F if it's possible. His 3F is actrally gorgeous...
    Last edited by vigiliae; 11-28-2012 at 04:40 AM.

vCash

From Cup of Russia, SP press conference.

http://data14.gallery.ru/albums/gall...51--u0e9c5.jpg

http://data14.gallery.ru/albums/gall...37--ue7d33.jpg
    Anyone's allowed to win with falls except Chan. And their falls don't count and will be ignored. Only Chan's falls are counted and accumulative.

vCash
    I did notice at least the rage at the PCS suggesting that Hanyu is in the same league as Takahashi. That was interesting at least. Other than the falls complaints that suggest Patrick is the only one to win / place with falls - the next biggest complaint is that judges dare to marks his PCS (particularly INT and PER) the same or even better than Takahashi. So at least some of that anger is being spread around! (And I am a Takahashi fan too - I just don't think there is validity to others not being at all worthy)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    I did notice at least the rage at the PCS suggesting that Hanyu is in the same league as Takahashi. That was interesting at least. Other than the falls complaints that suggest Patrick is the only one to win / place with falls - the next biggest complaint is that judges dare to marks his PCS (particularly INT and PER) the same or even better than Takahashi.
    Kozuka at Skate America in the free skate was on par with Jeremy Abbott in the interpretation department although Jeremy is such an exquisite artist on the ice, isn't he?
    Oda at Skate Canada this year scored higher on interpretation than Florent Amodio and the fans of Amodio call him THE ARTIST.

Maybe the scoring system doesn't work the way some figure skating fans think it works?

Quote Originally Posted by naan View Post
    They are OK when Hanyu wins with 2 falls and lackluster performance.
    Patrick must win with perfect performance, falls or popped jumps are not allowed, because he is 'Patrick'
    Double standard!
    Hanyu with a fall at the latest World Championships was allowed to beat Takahashi in the free skate but Chan with a fall was not, his win was a disgrace, right? Btw, can anyone explain how Takahashi ended up with positive GOE for the quad he landed on two feet in the FS segment? Or how he got the highest FS components score at the Vancouver Olympics although he fell and had the 9th technical mark overall? Just curious. The 9th tehnical mark but the first components mark? This might be be unheard of in the history of figure skating.

Tiny Patrick reminds me of Jeffrey Buttle standing between two really big guys after a show in China sometime this year. I don't know where to find that picture to show it to you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sequins View Post
    This reflects my very own thinking. Thanks sequins.

Why am I not hearing “Hanyu will fall 4 times and win?”; “Daisuke skates poorly and still win silver?” Because the same rule can only be applied to some and not others? To those who shout foul play, if you wish to build yourself a reputation of being fair, lead by example. Think before you post and make judgements freely on others. Your posts speak more of yourselves than the one you are berating.

Quote Originally Posted by VarBar
    The scores are up for Chan's performance.
    "Oh no. We are French, of course, but him being placed behind Lysacek and Brian...it's quite strange, we have to say that...we totally disagree."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyfa...feature=g-hist
    That was one of my favourite program. And I too think he should have scored better. But did Patrick complain about his scores? I don’t think I have read about his complaints about his scores even when he was not yet an elite skater.

Tiny Patrick reminds me of Jeffrey Buttle standing between two really big guys after a show in China sometime this year. I don't know where to find that picture to show it to you.
    Oh yes I remembered the picture. Like Patrick, Buttle looks soo small besides the huge dudes.

vCash
    A closer look at "Russian FSO Awards" prize for Patrick
    http://i48.fastpic.ru/big/2012/1128/...1da29e0f6a.jpg

"Taking Control" - article from IFS magazine (thanks to person who did those scans, i found them on russian forum)
    1. http://pixs.ru/showimage/img196jpg_6954478_6428064.jpg
    2. http://pixs.ru/showimage/img197jpg_6299001_6428113.jpg
    3. http://pixs.ru/showimage/img199jpg_8592561_6428148.jpg
    4. http://pixs.ru/showimage/img200jpg_6903773_6428160.jpg
    The above was posted by a Patrick Chan on another forum.

Closer picture of the Russian FSO 'bear' awarded to Patrick. I didn't realise the bear was wearing Patrick's skating costume. So sweet of the Russian fans.

IFS December cover story on Patrick.

vCash
    Yes, so cute...down to the little red lines of his pants. He looks thrilled
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    We don't have anything like that in Canada.......What are we going to do? Dress up a beaver in skating clothes
    Addicted to FSU

Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast