Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

vCash
    Did anyone else notice that both Johnson and Shipstad were listed as coaches for Chan on the COR broadcast (the graphic under his name before he skated). Chan has been pretty clear that Shipstad is his "technical coach" and he has been working with him 3 times/week. I don't see the problem with having Johnson listed as the principle coach if Chan is getting the help he needs when he's training.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elle123 View Post
    I love this "gem" from the article:

With all the strong competition in the Men's corner, snatching that Gold medal from Patrick Chan may be relatively effortless this year. But in the end, it will not be an easy win for the rest of the men competing.

This makes no sense to me, but whatever - I won't give her opinions any weight. She definitely made some bold predictions two weeks into the beginning of the season.
    Makes no sense to me either. As I posted earlier, it is very poorly written.
    Last edited by algonquin; 11-14-2012 at 08:04 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    Anybody want a good laugh..........Read this: http://www.examiner.com/article/deth...s-year?cid=rss
    Pardon me while I and then ... awwww, where the puking icon? Really? this article just makes the so-called writer look -- to paraphrase my kids -- stooooopid. There will be nothing easy in winning anything this season for anyone. No one is a given winner just because they show up. Others are upping their technical content and Chan is upping his emotional connection to the music. However, I think Chan still has the upper hand on the technical side if only because he's been landing the quad, alone and in combination, in competitions successfully more often than his competitors with about one exception and that would be Plushenko.

What really makes me laugh -- suggesting that Weir and Lysacek will even be close to the young guns who now seem to winning the medals. Weir is now dealing with an injury and Lysacek may be landing quads in practice but he hasn't landed a clean one in competition in how long? The only one who is "coming back" and has a crack at keeping up with the technical content is Plushy, from what I can see. Joubert? I like the guy but I don't think he has the technical content in his programs or the PCS to keep up with the "kids".

Who IS this writer? Ahhh, I went and followed the link from her name in this article. She writes for an American paper so I can see why she would include two U.S. guys in her list of who can knock off Chan. The article is dated the 13th but I'd lay odds she wrote it just after Skate Canada when Patrick didn't have one of his better skates. Sure would like to know what she thinks after his latest win.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    I figured there would be a reaction to that article......what an idiot!!! And yes, I wish there was a "puke" smiley
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Anybody want a good laugh..........Read this: http://www.examiner.com/article/deth...s-year?cid=rss
    Moron. I was hoping you could comment but I guess not. Not that she'd likely care. I like and respect(something this 'journalist' lacks) Evan and Johnny but I hardly thing they are striking fear into Patrick. If Chan is dethroned it certainly won't be easy lady.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    Kurt says in his analysis - thanks to jl22aries for the link - that Patrick doesn't have a great skid on the takeoff of the 3A and he sounds to me like he's suggesting it's quite difficult to fix that.
    That's exactly what Kristy had once described as the problem of Patrick's 3A.
    Below is a quote from the article"Chan looks to get past accident in Ontario" dated 10/28/2010 on icenetwork.com.

When it comes to the Axel, there is a bit more fixing to do.

"Patrick had a lot of interesting bad habits," Krall said. "When you have to break down muscle memory, it just takes time after time after time. Also he takes off on a clean outside edge, he doesn't use a skidded technique. It's like threading a needle it has to go in perfect."
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

As I see it, Patrick has got that skidded technique in 2011/12 season.
    You can see the difference when you compare that gorgeous 3A, for instance, in 2009 and the solid, not gorgeous but decent enough, 3A in last season. And I said in a previous post I was not worried about his jumps because I saw the practice at JO and his 3A technique was there. I'm sure he has not lost his jumps.

But what I'm worrying about is, after hearing the comment from Kurt and reread the above comment from Christy, that "bad" habits would creep in a stealthy way because the muscle memory is so strong.

Oh no. I'm not gonna make a negative comment. I trust Patrick always realizes what he needs to do and if he would have some problems on his jumps in the future, then he'll consider how to fix it.
    For now I just wanna enjoy his beautiful performances at COR. Congrats Patrick!!
    Last edited by ali_dorate; 11-15-2012 at 03:23 AM.

vCash
    A bit late on the Russian-fest bandwagon but I just adore all the Patrick's performance in Russia. Especially the first half of La Boheme.
    My favorite part is the entrance of the first spin; swing rocker to double three to camel(not sure, I am a non-teknik), everything is so smooth and precise, perfectly fit to the the music. Love it!!
    Enjoyed the Ex practice vid Varbar posted. Thanks! when Patrick reached his hands to Scott like a typical ice dance pose. Chan/Moir for the Pyeongchang 2018! (don't get me wrong, I love Tessa.)

And the article is certainly a mess. I don't understand what she wanted to say and I hope it's not because of my subpar English skill.

I also wasn't particulary worried with his 3A based on the popping in the FS. IMO the jump went totally wrong from the beginning (before the takeoff) and actually I was surprised that Patrick did managed to do a 2A. Of course his 3A is a weakness but based on the beautiful 3A in the SP and his improvements of 2A I think it was not worsen. (Let's not forget that his 3A consistency was always bad save 11/12 season.) Hope the issue can be solved, or at least not deteriorate in the near future.

A sidenote. I was so glad to see his 3F-3T in the Ex Encore. I like 3F-1/2lo-3S as well but I sometimes miss his 3F-3T....

vCash
    My fave part

"His technical ability was fairly strong but performance-wise, it was not appeasing. World's silver medalist, Japan's Takeshi Honda, outperformed Chan in both events."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    My fave part

"His technical ability was fairly strong but performance-wise, it was not appeasing. World's silver medalist, Japan's Takeshi Honda, outperformed Chan in both events."
    Haha totally didn't see that - kind of insulting to Daisuke. I think it's clear that this is not a reputable online publication.

vCash
    I think 3A is still Chan's weakness. He seems to have a plan per year. He was focusing on technical elements after Vancouver. This year, he's focusing on artistry. So if both are mastered, it will be unbeatable in Sochi. However, that 3A is still a weakness. I want to see him spending next year to focus on master the 3A, and NERVE!!! I think nerve is still Chan's #1 enemy that he has to find a way to overcome it. He has done many competitions but still, he was so nervous at World, that's why he was unable to skate to his potential. He was nervous at this year's Skate Canada as well. Sochi is many times more important than World and GP, so you can add 10 tones of nervousness and pressure to it. And we all know, when you are nervous, or cautious, you can't skate well. And with the inconsistency of the 3A, it's a double dose. I just don't want to see him like Michelle Kwan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlaries
    That last step sequence, set to that particular tune from La Boheme, is special. Like, squeeze-my-heart-harkening-to-some-vague-moment-from-the-past-double-dipped-in-romance-and-nostalgia special.
    I love this expression, jlaries.

Quote Originally Posted by alqonquin
    Opinions about Chan aside, this is a very poorly written article.
    Not only poorly written, there is no substance. There are no facts/reasons backing her opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by nlyoung
    Did anyone else notice that both Johnson and Shipstad were listed as coaches for Chan on the COR broadcast
    We know that Patrick has listed both Johnson and Shipstad as coaches. But I think some of us were not sure whether Shipstad is a qualified technical coach. And we are worried about his TES …

Let’s see how he improves in the GPF. He will need to do more to win there because the best are there. Kurt did say Patrick is beatable this year ..I take it to indicate that Patrick is concentrating on artistry whilst TES takes a back seat so those with strong TES has a chance of beating Patrick. I really don’t care so long he takes care of his health and win the more important events.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I really adore Patrick's SP ♡
    But one thing...Please change the shirt !!!
    Sorry I don't like that back lace at all.
    Personally I hope Patrick goes back former designer.

A figure skating blogger who never been a fan of Patrick says the SP can be a masterpiece.
    some Patrick's fans don't like this SP.
    someone says it will be a signature program of Patrick.
    some people say it just reminds them of Jeff...(Not for me.. this music really suits Patrick )
    That says figure skating is really Subjective sport.

As for FP..It looks extremely difficult.
    After FP Patrick looked really tired.
    I like ending step Patrick's edge...movement...emotion..
    and the entrance of the 3loop. That movement&edge is sweet.
    La Boheme is an interesting program. Whenever i watch this pro I find something new to
    appreciate.

In La Boheme..Patrick's edge is unbelievable.His feet perform music.
    I think Patrick is another type of skater.
    Last edited by leaa; 11-16-2012 at 12:42 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    My fave part

I missed that as well. Makes you wonder about her 'credentials' , an 'avid figure skating fan and follower since 1992. For 20 years educating herself in the sport...' Um...ya I guess I'm qualified as well, except I know the difference between Honda and Takahashi. Anyone else ever get annoyed at the lack of knowledge (sometimes basic) and respect reporters seem to have for this sport. Articles, sports broadcasts are littered with errors every season. I mean how hard is it to do a bit of home work and clue in your sports reporter that we are looking at a triple flip not a double axel and certainly not a spin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    We know that Patrick has listed both Johnson and Shipstad as coaches. But I think some of us were not sure whether Shipstad is a qualified technical coach. And we are worried about his TES
    Had Patrick jumped a 3A instead of a 2A, a 3Loop instead of a 2Loop and a 3Sal after the 3F-1Loop, his base value would have been around 84? I guess so, and 84 is one of the highest base values in the current field. But if you were thinking of the execution of the jumps which is reflected in the GOEs, well...the execution may vary from one competition to another. I feel Patrick can easily do loop and salchow jumps with three revolutions in the air and land them cleanly whether as solo jumps or 3/3 combination jumps but I have to agree with jettasian that the 3A is still a weakness for him and this weakness is sort of limiting him, he can't do a 3A in combination with another jump for instance. If the 3A issue can't be fiixed, Patrick would most likely need a third quad in the free skate- 4sal? - for him to make up for the missing reliable 3A and so be on the safe side with the TES.

As I see it, Patrick has got that skidded technique in 2011/12 season.
    You can see the difference when you compare that gorgeous 3A, for instance, in 2009 and the solid, not gorgeous but decent enough, 3A in last season. And I said in a previous post I was not worried about his jumps because I saw the practice at JO and his 3A technique was there. I'm sure he has not lost his jumps.

But what I'm worrying about is, after hearing the comment from Kurt and reread the above comment from Christy, that "bad" habits would creep in a stealthy way because the muscle memory is so strong.
    ali_dorate, I sure remember Chan's spectacular pre-2011/2012 triple axel jump but I'm afraid I can't make any educated comment on the skidded technique because I have no clue of how a successful 3A should be executed.

Quote Originally Posted by leaa View Post
    I really adore Patrick's SP ♡
    But one thing...Please change the shirt !!!
    Sorry I don't like that back lace at all.
    That says figure skating is really Subjective sport.
    So must be fashion, I guess, because I really like the see-through lace on the back of Patrick's blouse. All my favorite skaters wore see-through shirts at some point in their careers.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8488/8...0fdfa34b_b.jpg

But the frills not so much though.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8063/8...684cc126_b.jpg

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jettasian View Post
    I think 3A is still Chan's weakness...I want to see him spending next year to focus on master the 3A...
    I also would like to see Patrick spend the next year on mastering the 3A. Then he could add a second 3A to his FS rather than a third quad, he has yet to put in competition. Patrick suggested he would debut another quad last season and that did not happen. It appears the quad is not going as well as he anticipated; so why not concentrate on perfecting the 3A, a jump he can do in competition, just not consistently at this time.

My focus on the 3A stems from concern that I don't want it to be "the jump" that stands between Patrick and making history.
    Last edited by PCFan; 11-19-2012 at 09:09 PM.

vCash
    There has been so suggestion that Chan would add the second quad at Nationals - which is where he has often debuted new elements - so I think the question of whether he can do two different quads is still open.

vCash
    I also heard in the past that his 3flip is always good that people said he could easily make that into 4flip. I wonder why he's not trying the 4flip, instead of 4sal

vCash
    I thought I read an article this year where he said he was working on both 4flip and 4sal and would do one of both.

vCash
    Patrick did say in one of the interviews he might add a 4S or 4F at National, the question is whether he would actually do it or not.
    Last edited by fscric; 11-20-2012 at 01:09 PM.

vCash
    I hope he does......If there's any place to try it, it's at Nats . I'm really looking forward to seeing how these programs progress there. Gawd, I wish I was able to go because at Worlds I'm going to be a nervous wreck
    Addicted to FSU

Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast