Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Past Olympic bronze medallists- what happened to them later?

I decided to not make this a poll; just a general discussion.

Looking at past Olympic bronze medallists in ladies and men (1984 to 2010), one thing struck me. Only one of them ever won the OGM in the future, and that was Viktor Petrenko. Out of those listed below, only Takahashi may have a chance (no matter how small) to win an OGM.

Ladies Olympic bronze medallists:

84- Ivanova (she never won another medal & sad end to her life)

88- Thomas (a huge disappointment at the Olympics, but a nice pro career later and now a successful doctor)

92- Kerrigan (a OGM favorite in 92; she had to settle for a silver, and she never won a world title, but now a proud mother of two)

94-Chen Lu (she won a world title in 95)

98-Chen Lu (A great comeback; now happily married to Dennis Petrov)

2002 Kwan (We still expected an OGM out of her in 2006, but injuries ended her career, but she did win two more world titles, and has a successful career and is happily married)

2006-Slutskaya (Another big disappointment; let the OGM slip out of her hands, but now she is happy raising two kids and skating when she wants to)

2010 Joannie Rochette (A triumph at the Olympics after tragically losing her mother; not sure if she is planning a comeback in 2014)

Mens Olympic Bronze medallists:

84- Sabovcik (never won another world/Olympic medal but had a successful pro career in the USA)

88- Petrenko (the only Olympic bronze medallist among men to win an OGM the following Olympics)

92-Petr Barna (He turned pro and had some interesting programs- my favorite was the Chaplin program)

94 & 98- Philip Candeloro (Both times a surprise bronze medallist; he skated as a pro, and became 'famous' as one who takes off his shirt- LOL)

2002 Goebel- I really thought he was going to challenge Plushenko & Yagudin (we thought Yags would continue to compete) in the coming years, and he really challenged Plushy at the 2003 worlds, but had to settle for a silver (I agreed with that decision). However, with the coming of COP he faded, lost his jumps, and even his coach (Frank C.) 'fired' him. He eventually retired.

2006 Buttle- Another surprising bronze medallist, because his challengers made even more mistakes than he did. To his credit, he won a world title later, but did not stay till the next Olympics. Had a nice pro career, and I believe he is still skating beautifully.

2010 Takahashi- Could be the happiest bronze medallist ever, as Japan's first Olympic medallist among men. He won a world title and skated gorgeous programs, but with the arrival of Chan (and Tak's own injury + inconsistencies) he may have to settle for a bronze again in 2014.

If you ask me for my most favorite Olympic bronze performance-

Ladies: Tie between Kwan (even with that nasty fall, she was good enough to win the OGM, if only the chips had fallen her way) and Rochette (I was never her fan but I really admired her courage in 2010)

Men: Petrenko 1988
    Last edited by Vash01; 06-23-2013 at 05:29 AM. Reason: corrected typo: should be 'now', not 'not'

vCash
    My favorite bronze performances if I ranked them was:
    1. Chen in 1994
    2. Rochette in '10
    3.Kwan 02 in third.
    4.Chen in 98 was beautiful, but she didn't have the technique she had in her earlier years.
    5. Ivanova

The other three were pretty forgettable for me.

vCash
    You say Buttle had a good pro career but isn't he still having it? LOL!

This is a pretty good recap of all the bronzes post 1980!

I first thought of Petrenko because he just narrowly edged out Fadeyev ! It could have gone either way! Fadeyev or Petrenko and while Fadeyev would have ended Petrenko would go to gold and then be the favorite again in 1994 or co favorite and finish 4th.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    You say Buttle had a good pro career but isn't he still having it? LOL!

This is what I posted:

2006 Buttle- Another surprising bronze medallist, because his challengers made even more mistakes than he did. To his credit, he won a world title later, but did not stay till the next Olympics. Had a nice pro career, and I believe he is still skating beautifully.

NOt entirely in the past tense.

vCash
    True not totally past tense. Thrown by "had" and that "I believe"!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    True not totally past tense. Thrown by "had" and that "I believe"!
    You are being nitpicky. It does not really contribute to the thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post

92- Kerrigan (a OGM favorite in 92; she had to settle for a silver, and she never won a world title, but now a proud mother of two)
    Minor correction here (I certainly don't intend to nitpick here). Nancy now has three children - the third is a daughter.

vCash
    Thank you, Vash01!

vCash

2002 Kwan (We still expected an OGM out of her in 2006, but injuries ended her career, but she did win two more world titles, and has a successful career and is happily married)
    Re Kerrigan : Are you sure you wanted to write a OGM favorite in 92, and not 94 ?
    Re Kwan : She won one World title after 2002 Olympics, not 2

My choice would be : Barna in 1992. I loved both programs, his step sequences and musicality were amazing in those programs.

vCash
    I wish Buttle had stayed in past 2008, but I think he probably thought he'd done all he could without a quad, plus he was probably a bit worried that Chan would overtake him.

I really liked Petrenko's bronze performance, actually more than I liked his performance for the OGM lol. Chen's '98 bronze performance was artistically beautiful. I think my favourite would definitely be Takahashi's though.

vCash
    I still think about Kira Ivanova from time to time.. what a sad ending to a rough life. She certainly was exceptionally talented (especially in compulsory figures) and a better free skater than many gave her credit for.

vCash
    You are being nitpicky. It does not really contribute to the thread.
    Lol you are right but "had a pro career" is pretty clear in its meaning.

vCash
    Lulu is coaching now right? In Russia, I believe?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Lulu is coaching now right? In Russia, I believe?
    No, at the World Ice Arena in Shenzhen, China with Denis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Re Kerrigan : Are you sure you wanted to write a OGM favorite in 92, and not 94 ?
    Re Kwan : She won one World title after 2002 Olympics, not 2

My choice would be : Barna in 1992. I loved both programs, his step sequences and musicality were amazing in those programs.
    Thanks for the correction. I meant 94.

Kwan won 2002 worlds (that was AFTER the 2002 Olympics) and 2003 worlds

vCash
    Thanks for the correction. I meant 94.

Kwan won 2002 worlds (that was AFTER the 2002 Olympics) and 2003 worlds
    I wish Kwan had won in 2002 (although she was out of the running after the SP), but Slutskaya won in 2002.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I wish Kwan had won in 2002 (although she was out of the running after the SP), but Slutskaya won in 2002.
    OOPS! I complete forgot about that! I must have been thinking of 1998.

vCash
    I decided to not make this a poll; just a general discussion.

Looking at past Olympic bronze medallists in ladies and men (1984 to 2010), one thing struck me. Only one of them ever won the OGM in the future, and that was Viktor Petrenko. Out of those listed below, only Takahashi may have a chance (no matter how small) to win an OGM.

Ladies Olympic bronze medallists:

84- Ivanova (she never won another medal & sad end to her life)
    Ivanova actually won silver at the 85 Worlds and nearly won gold. She led after figures and the short program, and then had the LP of her life, but still narrowly lost to Witt.

I think you mean Kerrigan was a gold medal favorite in 94, not 92. In 92 she had about 10% of winning at best with Ito, Yamaguchi, and possibly Harding all more favored than her going in. In 94 she probably the favorite going in, or atleast co favorite with Baiul.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Ivanova actually won silver at the 85 Worlds and nearly won gold. She led after figures and the short program, and then had the LP of her life, but still narrowly lost to Witt.

I think you mean Kerrigan was a gold medal favorite in 94, not 92. In 92 she had about 10% of winning at best with Ito, Yamaguchi, and possibly Harding all more favored than her going in. In 94 she probably the favorite going in, or atleast co favorite with Baiul.
    Definitely a favorite in 94 (not 92- Midori was the fave at that time)

I guess I was out of touch in 85 (didn't watch FS at all that year, I think). My memories of Ivanova are from 1988 when she was in the final group for free skate but did not skate well. I knew she was mainly a 'figures' skater; I didn't know she had come that close to winning the gold at the 85 worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    Minor correction here (I certainly don't intend to nitpick here). Nancy now has three children - the third is a daughter.
    I didn't know she had a 3rd child. So now she has one son and two daughters?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast