Page 10 of 52 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    vCash
    My sister and I were just wishing today that they'd put TAT on a raft and float her down the Volga..

iggie ...Re: Carmen , this site has a pretty comprhensive rundown..and there are clips of the Alonso Carmen with Plistetskaya on YouTube..

http://www.theballetbag.com/2010/05/08/carmen/

I guess my own idea leans more to Bizet's than Merimee's ( I hate it when they only blame the woman..)

So , I'm not a big fan of Eks,..either

vCash
    Please forgive me, but I can't imagine Tessa smoking a cigar.

Now I'm looking forward to seeing what costuming is chosen. As they invest a lot of thought and detail into their programs, this may be one of those that grows and changes substantially throughout the season.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post
    My sister and I were just wishing today that they'd put TAT on a raft and float her down the Volga..

iggie ...Re: Carmen , this site has a pretty comprhensive rundown..and there are clips of the Alonso Carmen with Plistetskaya on YouTube..

http://www.theballetbag.com/2010/05/08/carmen/

I guess my own idea leans more to Bizet's than Merimee's ( I hate it when they only blame the woman..)

So , I'm not a big fan of Eks,..either
    Yes, Iggie, you need to pay attention to Plistetskaya. Radion Shedrin is her husband and he did Bizet music arragment for ballet especially for Maia. She is iconic ballet Carmen. Look at her arms.

If T-S will show modern version, i wich to see simple black top (like in practice outfit) and small, light read skirt

vCash
    Costumes:

http://ballet-dance.com/200907/artic...ker-photo1.jpg

The National Ballet of Canada

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au.../03/Carmen.jpg

Queensland Ballet

http://triangleartsandentertainment....5/Carmen49.jpg
    Melissa Podcasy and Timour Bourtasenkov in Carolina Ballet's Carmen

http://lucire.com/2010/0331tmp6.jpg
    Contemporary take for Royal New Zealand Ballet’s Carmen

vCash
    Melissa Podcasy and Timour Bourtasenkov in Carolina Ballet's Carmen

Melissa remind me Tessa
    The main question is - will Scott have not black pants?

vCash
    yep, they probably have to change direction in costuming. wearing gorgeous dress, as Tessa usually does, would be distracting. the timeless truth behind Carmen story requires a different aesthetic. the costumes shouldn't be well matched between each other as usual, because there's no harmony between them this time.
    Tessa should look sensual and not 'beautiful' in the classic sense. she has to be hated, not admired. something basic like pani suggested would be good. red (passion) and black (death), an 'abstract' design for the top. on Scott i would like to see a modern version of a soviet uniform like in the Swedish ballet. brown or/and blue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    If T-S will show modern version, i wich to see simple black top (like in practice outfit) and small, light read skirt
    I had this same thought.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martyross View Post
    on Scott i would like to see a modern version of a soviet uniform like in the Swedish ballet. brown or/and blue.
    Will be cool.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by m_chenning View Post

http://lucire.com/2010/0331tmp6.jpg
    Contemporary take for Royal New Zealand Ballet’s Carmen
    This looks more like Chicago.

I see V&M in very simple costumes for Carmen, especially if they're doing a modern take on it.

Interesting that D&W have reverted back to their typical style for their FD this year. I expect the program to have a very similar feeling to POTO and Samson. Can't say I'm a fan of the music of Notre Dame. Wonder if they will use vocals or not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    This looks more like Chicago.

I see V&M in very simple costumes for Carmen, especially if they're doing a modern take on it.

Interesting that D&W have reverted back to their typical style for their FD this year. I expect the program to have a very similar feeling to POTO and Samson. Can't say I'm a fan of the music of Notre Dame. Wonder if they will use vocals or not.
    IMHO - Notre Dame sound much better with vocal and not so good without it. And the best part is Garou in ND sound

vCash
    I find the vocal version really grating and heavy. Very repetitive and it kind of drones on and on. Anyway, we'll see what they choose.

vCash
    Interesting that D&W have reverted back to their typical style for their FD this year.
    I think it's great. D/W are very strong in this style, and I would think the V/M will be very strong in the style they have chosen this year. Maybe Worlds will be a chance for judges to decide in which direction they want ice dance to go.

vCash
    I find the vocal version really grating and heavy. Very repetitive and it kind of drones on and on. Anyway, we'll see what they choose.
    But its some less dramatic music. For example
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj4OjKSyqWk
    But i thin Weber music is more powerfull itself, so Garou gave this power to ND.
    I posted some links of ND FD sin D-W thread - you could see what cuts of music skaters used beofre in ice dance.

vCash
    actually in every track of this musical singers just repeat a refrain over and over. the whole thing is just over-sentimental and preachy, which is typical of Hugo. especially when it comes to the characters, they have no nuances. The girl is soooo good and soooo generous and the massive tearing-up audiences probably feel a sadistic pleasure in seeing her hanged at the end. ugh!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martyross View Post
    Here are the links, iggie
    Rhakamo/Kokko http://youtu.be/VDvGKgMhBt4
    Winkler/Lose http://youtu.be/NC3LcfGbpx0

If anyone is interested, here's my "SD preview" with fixed graphics: http://youtu.be/IOnGdZ6iEfU
    Wow, I haven't seen that R&K version since that event aired back in 97, but I remembered it perfectly.

That's probably the second voidiest pro dance program behind B&B's Rasputin.

vCash
    been working on a few posts for the blog

carmen ballets, arranged by choreographer
    other posts on carmen. i have a few essays from readers there + past carmens in ice dance

YEAH!
    vCash
    iggie, I really appreciate what you're doing with your site. I have read some of the posts on Carmen, but didn't have time to go through it carefully, so having everything in one place really really helps. I can't wait to sit down and watch it all so I can educate myself... I love how your blog allowed me to immerse myself in Funny Face last year as well. And it's a great way to kill time during the off season!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    iggie, I really appreciate what you're doing with your site. I have read some of the posts on Carmen, but didn't have time to go through it carefully, so having everything in one place really really helps. I can't wait to sit down and watch it all so I can educate myself... I love how your blog allowed me to immerse myself in Funny Face last year as well. And it's a great way to kill time during the off season!
    enjoy. some of the work are by two ladies from spain whom i met on twitter. so i thought that it'd be great to hear from them. one of the clips has a character from seville, spain, teaching others to dance. that's where carmen is set too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    enjoy. some of the work are by two ladies from spain whom i met on twitter. so i thought that it'd be great to hear from them. one of the clips has a character from seville, spain, teaching others to dance. that's where carmen is set too.
    Thanks! Good place to find something new

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    been working on a few posts for the blog

carmen ballets, arranged by choreographer
    other posts on carmen. i have a few essays from readers there + past carmens in ice dance
    I don't know what else to say Misha, except keep up the good work!! Your series of Carmen posts were particularly interesting and informative! Thanks to Laura for doing the write-ups as well!

Page 10 of 52 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast