Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152
Results 1,021 to 1,038 of 1038
    Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahararainfall View Post
    Seriously guys? not just the fan talking? Can't watch right now. But really? (Why do we have to work?) Can we have our PF closure through Carmen?
    It's not just the fans, I promise. This is good. Really good.

vCash
    Wanted to post my thoughts about Virtue/Moir's new FD program. After watching the practice I have to say it was stunning. The choreography of Jennifer Swan is very impressive. I was impressed with the Pink Floyd program and after watching Carmen, I can safely say this program is going to follow the unique qualities that Pink Floyd brought. I can't say how this program will compare with all their other programs in the past, but its been awhile since I've been this pumped for a new dance program. I'm surprised that more dance couples don't use contemporary choreographers for their dance programs.

I should state about myself that originally I was mainly into the Men's and Pair's skating, the women really never intrested me much and I couldn't really understand Dance with Russians in the past dominating the field so often with their dramatic flair, that style really never clicked with me. Then that changed when Virtue/Moir came into the scene. They brought a fresh new style to Dance that I thought was artistic, but also with an emotional connection to their music. Their musicality was very evident and compared to the Russians I just didn't see the connection with the Russians and their music. But with Virtue/Moir I saw it in spades. It was beautiful to watch. But for a young couple like Virtue/Moir I had no hope of seeing them on the podium because of how marks were handed out in the past. Skaters had to wait a very long time to get onto the podium and if they were not Russian then it would be very rare for them to win Gold in any compeition. Then change came about to the sport of Dance. Dance elements in programs were getting graded and each program had required elements that you now understood. You simply didn't get lost in trying to understand why one skate team was graded higher then the other, the average viewer finally understood why a certain grade was being handed out and you didn't see the backroom politiking that would prevent a skate team from moving up because of politiks. And that is where we come to Virtue/Moir who with the new system skyrocketed up the standings. If you were good and deserved higher grades, then you got them, and Virtue/Moir earned them and if I am not wrong became the youngest Olympic Gold medal champions in Dance with Tessa Virtue being only 20 which is incredibly young to achieve that goal in the sport of Dance.

Part of Virtue/Moir success also stems from their partnership with Marina Zueva and Igor Shpilband the two Russian coaches. Unlike their contempories over in Russia, these two coaches understood the strengths of their skaters and created programs that suited their strengths. For Virtue/Moir who had a very spirtual connection with eachother, creating strong emotional programs about love and story telling became their strengths and for me I consider Umbrellas of Cherbourg my favorite program with Valse Triste coming in second and Pink Floyd third. The first two highlighting their strong chemistry they have together but the third, Pink Floyd really stood out to me because it was so breathtaking different from what they did in the past. With Virtue/Moir they pushed the envelope of Dance and helped invigorate the sport. In fact I so much love watching Virtue/Moir skate that now for me the Dance is the highlight of any grand prix with the Men's and Pairs programs taking a backseat now.

With Pink Floyd even with the injuries that Tessa Virtue suffered in that year cutting short their training, I was hoping for more programs like Pink Floyd that would challenge Virtue/Moir to push the sport of Dance further. Happily it looks like with them teaming up with Jennifer Swan again we are going to see more of this in their new program Carmen. I'm not going to say Carmen will be their tour de force or will be the program that will be be considered their best one to date because I need to see the whole program. But "wow" is all I have to say from what I saw. We only saw half of the program skated in practice and I simply was stunned at how intricate the lifts were and the interpretations they took. The music worked which from past Carmen efforts I honestly wasn't so sure how it would turn out, but I am a believer now.

vCash
    Welcome, Tracer!

Sahararainfall, it is indeed amazing. Very difficult and it needs to grow throughout the season, but IMO it's their best work so far. And they're doing it at the right moment, I don't think they could have handled the intensity a few years ago.

vCash
    The one minus about this FD is that there's bound to be some rumor about them stemming from how sexual this FD actually is.

vCash
    I know I am in the minority here, but i have always loved Carmen. I think the music they have chosen from this opera is brilliant, conveys the love, lust and madness in 4, too very short, minutes. The choreo looks absolutely amazing and so incredibly difficult . Can't wait to see the full thing.

vCash
    I too have to say why do we have to work!

Counting the hours - 4 hours before I get home!

Also enjoying very much all the comments. How are the VM virgins who were going to wait for the actual program and were not to see the practices making out?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    The one minus about this FD is that there's bound to be some rumor about them stemming from how sexual this FD actually is.
    Oh so what, let them talk. I'm so glad they're showing this passionate side of themselves. At least we won't hear the "first love" crap again.

Also, I have to say, I love the ending and Tessa's fierceness!

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    How are the VM virgins who were going to wait for the actual program and were not to see the practices making out?
    Dying. But knowing that they skated the program incomplete makes me feel better. I want to see it in its full glory. How did you all like the ending? Someone in the SC forum said it was "abrupt."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahararainfall View Post
    Seriously guys? not just the fan talking? Can't watch right now. But really? (Why do we have to work?) Can we have our PF closure through Carmen?
    It's hard to separate the fan bias but I really do think it´ll be awesome by worlds. I had my doubts Tessa could play this role but what I saw actually makes me THINK of the story of Carmen and erased any concerns I had that Anna might be a better Carmen. I found it a mature FD with a mature theme. Not generic and definitely not expected.

As Scott mentioned during HPC it's demanding and will take the whole season to skate it to it's potential, that can be seen in the lifts (which are spectacular but obvious they need more mileage). What I saw excites me, I think it has great potential and from what I saw am now glad they chose to skate this overused theme. When I think back to their PF program one of the things I loved is they way their bodies moved, the shapes they made, I see similar here. I guess that is Swan's input.

vCash
    Welcome Tracer the more the merrier!
    So I watched it. Man I just love the ending don't ask me why? But with all those sexy moves I just gotta wonder what they are gonna be wearing through all of this? Inquiring minds(or my mind) want to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    That's inevitable no matter what they skate to as we've all learned but I just thought to myself 'Thank God it ain't your Olympic FD, you thought the relationship questions were annoying after Mahler/2010.'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    It's hard to separate the fan bias but I really do think it´ll be awesome by worlds. I had my doubts Tessa could play this role but what I saw actually makes me THINK of the story of Carmen and erased any concerns I had that Anna might be a better Carmen. I found it a mature FD with a mature theme. Not generic and definitely not expected.
    Exactly. I wasn't expecting this sexual intensity at all. My guess is Jennifer Swan is responsible for 90% of the choreography. It's just not Marina's type of program.

And did anyone else love the step sequences? I thought they were brilliant and they matched the music wonderfully.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IoanaC View Post
    Exactly. I wasn't expecting this sexual intensity at all. My guess is Jennifer Swan is responsible for 90% of the choreography. It's just not Marina's type of program.

And did anyone else love the step sequences? I thought they were brilliant and they matched the music wonderfully.
    Yes it doesn't seem like Marina's choreo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Dying. But knowing that they skated the program incomplete makes me feel better. I want to see it in its full glory. How did you all like the ending? Someone in the SC forum said it was "abrupt."
    Trouble with final lift (which may be too close to the end and perhaps even out of place), causing that "abrupt" ending.

Loved the step sequences too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Trouble with final lift (which may be too close to the end and perhaps even out of place), causing that "abrupt" ending.

I loved the ending! It was perfect

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post

Agree. That lift is the position many of us were excited about in the pictures we saw from HPC but it did seem a bit out of place. Pretty sure that is the choreographic lift so possible to adjust in the future if needed. As it was performed in practice it made the ending a bit crowded which probably gives the abrubt feeling.

Btw..I think it's obvious what lift Scott injured his neck on

vCash
    Someone start a new thread!

I'm a fan of the "waltz goes on" title.

vCash
    I am GOBSMACKED!!!!. Even though it was incomplete, it is incredible.........those holds, the StSeq, lifts, everything.......Wow ....violently sexy as it should be. Talk about out of the normal comfort zone......wheeeee!!! Tessa IS a gypsy!!!! Tessa is CARMEN!!!! sorry if I'm getting carried away

Welcome Tracer.........great post
    Addicted to FSU

vCash

Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152