Page 38 of 52 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

vCash
    OK, i will wait untill SC. But V-M see everyday, what D-W are doing. So look like they dont care or even like this.
    And look C-L practice video - how they try to look at each other during stop at FD run-throw.

vCash
    Well, we all know that "Imitation is the greatest form of Flattery". The thing is that others can try imitating, but nobody does it better
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Well Weaver & Poje were amazing, great for the start of the season & they are dancing to music from The Sound of Music! These 2 are quickly becoming my favs! Could Andrew be any more gorgeous

Did not like Tanith Belbin going on about how they were weak at the end of the dance, of course she is saving all her gushing for you know who she needs to get a clue...

vCash
    If Meryl and Charlie got a 71 with that dance, Tessa and Scott should hopefully get a 75 with their SD.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    If Meryl and Charlie got a 71 with that dance, Tessa and Scott should hopefully get a 75 with their SD.
    "Should" being the key-word here... Haven't seen D/W's SD yet, so I'll reserve my judgement until I do.
    But I can't wait to watch Tessa and Scott waltz again.

vCash
    Meryl&Charlie have a very well choreographed SD and judges awarded highly at Skate Canada.
    I am really excited to see what has Marina come up with for Tessa and Scott! I love their music choice and cannot wait to see it in action!

vCash
    I didn't really like Meryl and Charlie's dance. I thought that it should have scored around a 70 and then 69 with the lift deduction. I hate the costumes.
    I think that Tessa and Scott will be fine, but they probably won't be.
    Anyway, I'm glad that Meryl and Charlie are trying to make a Tessa and Scott free because it will show how much of a distance there actually is between the teams.

vCash
    I like the concept of the Giselle SD. I think Meryl still has a lot of work to do, playing a ballerina highlights her flaws, but it´s a good competitive program. From the SD and the bits we saw from the FD I don't think choreographically Marina is missing Igor so I'm excited to see what V&M have!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    I didn't really like Meryl and Charlie's dance. I thought that it should have scored around a 70 and then 69 with the lift deduction. I hate the costumes.
    I think that Tessa and Scott will be fine, but they probably won't be.
    Anyway, I'm glad that Meryl and Charlie are trying to make a Tessa and Scott free because it will show how much of a distance there actually is between the teams.
    I don't know if I agree with the idea Marina made a Tessa and Scott free?? It seems very much along the same lines as past D&W programs (POTO, Samson etc..) It's the sudden affection when they aren't skating where I see imitation. I think that is why I'm not really worried. D&W are doing what they do best in a FD so we know what to expect from them. It's up to V&M to make Carmen work for them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    It's the sudden affection when they aren't skating where I see imitation.
    Exactly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Golightly View Post
    Exactly.
    So there is no confusion, when we chatted earlier I saw what you saw. It just doesn't bother me because it is what it is ;D

And to add further to that if it does bother V&M and they feel like they are being shortchanged they have a choice to change this next season. I think this season with the coaching split they are all (D&W, V&M and Shibs) just trying to keep their feet on the ground and there really is no time to do anything. If they wanted to do something. I believe in the talent of V&M, I really think they have something special that can't be taught.

vCash
    Like I said, gamesmanship bothers me very, very much. I'm old-fashioned, I hate it when people use underhanded tactics to win. I believe in using your own style to win instead if copying your rival's. It's not even a style, it's just the way VM approach a program. I would not mind much if it was just the program, but it is not. It's the little things BEFORE the program and AFTER, even.

vCash
    it's funny how after the last season ended, many people wished for v/m to move elsewhere/change coaches. now that that's happened (of course not of v/m's choice)...

vCash
    i do have to say that for most of the top teams' SDs, i love how they're doing one theme for the SD and that they're not using the traditionally known polka music

vCash
    Weaver & Poje SD is better than D&W imo, Andrew is so beautiful omg
    I wish someone had it on YT already.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Golightly View Post
    Like I said, gamesmanship bothers me very, very much. I'm old-fashioned, I hate it when people use underhanded tactics to win. I believe in using your own style to win instead if copying your rival's. It's not even a style, it's just the way VM approach a program. I would not mind much if it was just the program, but it is not. It's the little things BEFORE the program and AFTER, even.
    I respect your opinion, but I think that's a bit unfair. I'm glad VM have looked to add complex, acrobatic lifts to their programs because that helps them under the new system, even though I wouldn't label their style "acrobatic." All teams are aware of the criticism they receive from fans and judges. DW have long been said to lack an intimate connection, so of course they would look to put out a program that defies that criticism. Given that ice dance has long emphasized a connection between a male and female partner, I don't think that criticism was unwarranted, and I give them credit for looking to improve. I don't believe that showing affection to help change the perception that they lack connection is underhanded; it's a way of remembering that a performance doesn't stop with the music.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hitchem View Post
    DW have long been said to lack an intimate connection, so of course they would look to put out a program that defies that criticism. Given that ice dance has long emphasized a connection between a male and female partner, I don't think that criticism was unwarranted, and I give them credit for looking to improve. I don't believe that showing affection to help change the perception that they lack connection is underhanded; it's a way of remembering that a performance doesn't stop with the music.
    I agree. "Connection" can be elusive and difficult to work on. Kudos to Meryl and Charlie for really trying to address that.

I don't think it's at all about stealing anyone's style, it's a legitimate aspect of their skating that needed work. It doesn't mean they're all of a sudden going to look like Tessa and Scott. I think both teams will still look unique and different from each other.

vCash
    i also think the the top teams are trying to address the criticisms they usually get e.g. d/w not having enough connection, v/m not having enough drama/fire (specifically tessa herself), and that's why we're getting these kinds of programs/expression from them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hitchem View Post
    I respect your opinion, but I think that's a bit unfair. I'm glad VM have looked to add complex, acrobatic lifts to their programs because that helps them under the new system, even though I wouldn't label their style "acrobatic." All teams are aware of the criticism they receive from fans and judges. DW have long been said to lack an intimate connection, so of course they would look to put out a program that defies that criticism. Given that ice dance has long emphasized a connection between a male and female partner, I don't think that criticism was unwarranted, and I give them credit for looking to improve. I don't believe that showing affection to help change the perception that they lack connection is underhanded; it's a way of remembering that a performance doesn't stop with the music.
    Thank you.

Look, I said that if they wanted to work on that weakness, it was commendable. But do it on your own terms, without imitating your rival. That is what they are doing and I do not like it. Does it matter? Perhaps not, perhaps they'll win, perhaps they won't, but this change of tactic, which make no mistake, is a mirroring tactic, is distasteful. I will say this again because I believe you did not understand me: I would not mind it if this new connection they seem to have found were part of the skating, but it isn't. You see the staring, the gestures and movements during the warm-ups and even after the performance is done. That's not them, you and I both know they don't do that. It's out of character. Do Virtue and Moir act that way deliberately? Again, perhaps they do, perhaps they don't, but that's them, it's what they do. It's a ritual. I am not trying to convince you, I want to thank you even for understanding my point of view even if you disagree. I apologise if I did not make much sense, it is 3:00AM here.

vCash
    I agree with hitchum, I think Meryl and Charlie are not copying anyone, as much as they are making an effort to find the essence of their program characters and to stay in character, much as actors do, during the breaks. It appears to be a dramatic program where the characters they play have an emotional connection and I think that maintaining that feeling is something I've seen many skaters do. This is not unique or "owned" by any one skater or team. I say good for them to try to capture their characters feelings and hold it for the breaks and then back into the music.

Page 38 of 52 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast