Page 36 of 52 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
    Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    It's going to be interesting to see what Marina does on her own because so far I don't see anything that impressive from Igor.
    That's sort of the place I'm at with the programs right now; very curious to see what Marina has come up with for her teams this year. While I do think that C/L's skating has improved, there was nothing terribly special about their Carmen. As I said when I first saw it, C/L do a nice job with it, but it's the stereotypical Carmen in terms of music cuts, choregoraphy, and movement. It's not that Igor's programs are terrible in a WTH way. It's more that there's not anything special or memorable about them. In other words, they're generic.

I'm with Cherub that with what Igor has given his teams this year, I'll also be happy if he never works with them again. I'm also one who is not always a fan of Marina. In general, I love her pairs choreography, but I haven't always liked her dance programs. I was one who really wanted V/M to leave Canton last year, but given what the other coaches out there have come up with, I'm now of the mind that I don't think Marina is doing any worse of a job than anyone else and that I'm not sure they'd be better off elsewhere. (Of course, I may change my mind on this once the season really gets into swing.) I never thought I'd feel that way, but that's where I'm at now.

vCash
    It's weird because Igor has shown that he can do good work. His Tango for Davis and White was, imo, their best choreographed program. I liked it much more than Die Fledermaus

vCash
    Have they ever said that Igor was responsible for that program? I know everyone assumes it but I don't know why Marina wouldn't have had just as much input into that program. Especially considering V&M missed pretty much the whole season. They would have wanted to keep a team of theirs on top of the podium and they must have had serious doubts V&M would even skate.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Golightly View Post
    Canadian pair Scott Moir, Tessa Virtue continue to deal with injuries http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskati...rtue-moir.html

Interesting.
    Is anyone else having trouble accessing this link? I really want to read it and it keeps taking me to a page saying CBC is having tech difficulties - for more than 12 hours now. Still, it being CBC, anything could be true

ETA I got to it by a diferent route - here's another link incase anyone else is having a problem
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskati...rtue-moir.html
    Last edited by alilou; 10-19-2012 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Nevermind - I finally got into it.
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    Did anyone notice that Icnetwork.com has a free sign-up for anyone who wants it. It allows us to watch streaming live ice dance this pm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by girlscouse62 View Post
    Did anyone notice that Icnetwork.com has a free sign-up for anyone who wants it. It allows us to watch streaming live ice dance this pm
    They had geoblock

vCash
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...na-and-me-quot

Interview with Igor.
    EK: Do you communicate with athletes who had stayed in Canton?

IS: I wouldn't really call it communication - there is no time. Working at the new place consumes all my time. But we are still on good terms. For example, Meryl (Davis - EK) always writes me emails, congratulates with Madison and Evan's successes (Chock and Bates - EK). I hold no grudge againts the skaters. They are victims in this situation.
    About Carmen
    EK: How did it happen that two top teams came across the idea of "Carmen" (in addition to Cappellini/Lanotte, Virtue/Moir have chosen it for their free dance - EK)?

IS: I had this idea in mind for many, many years. Even a program was set - for a team that did not happen. And when Luca and Anna came to me, I thought that this theme will be just right for them.

EK: In figure skating, there were a few famous "Carmen". What is special about Cappellini/Lanotte's program ?

IS: Last time that we saw "Carmen", let me remind you, it was Tatiana Navka and Roman Kostomarov's version at the Olympics in Turin in 2006. But there were Toreodor and Carmen, while Luca and Anna have completely different story and different drama - Carmen and Jose, a story of love, betrayal, jealousy. Because of this, we chose different music fragments. You know, it's such a powerful thing, such an amazing music that you can do several programs and not repeate yourself. I thought that now "Carmen" corresponds to what the ISU wants.

EK: Have you re-watched any of the past versions?

IS: Honestly, no. I clearly remember all of them, including Natalia Bestemianova and Andrei Bukin's program. I watched the ballet with Maya Plisetskaya, and many more. Many choreographers had turned to "Carmen", treating this theme in different ways. The closest to what Anna and Luca do is Plisetskaya's performance. By the way, choreographer Ludmila Vlasova, former ballet dancer of the Bolshoi Theatre, has worked with Anna and Luca. She also added much to this program.
    Thought this thread would be interested in the Carmen section of the interview.

Only one more week to see!!

vCash
    Thought this thread would be interested in the Carmen section of the interview.

Only one more week to see!!
    Thank you! so maybe Igor had this idea for D-W? Or for T-S?
    I am not sure about Camen after i saw D-W FD. They copy Tessa and Sct so much. Maybe Marina and Igor ow want to show - i could made this "first love: from any team, V-M - nothing special. And i hope T-S will not have so many jumps in FD.

vCash
    I didn't think he was talking about either D&W or T&S because he says it was for a team that never was many, many years ago? My first thought was maybe Silverstein and Pekarik?

He doesn't really answer the question though about how it came to be that two top teams decided to skate to Carmen. He just says he had the idea years and years ago and even had a program in mind which he gave to C&L. So it was his idea that C&L skate this but he must have known V&M were at least considering it for the SD just due to the timing of the split. I suppose it's also possible when Igor and Marina were still together he discussed with her the idea of giving C&L this FD? I don't think we´ll ever know and just hope that V&M have something worthy of them.

I did watch the portions of D&W FD. Need to see the whole thing to really get an impression and opinion but I did notice the new "intimacy" they are displaying during the breaks in skating.

vCash
    but I did notice the new "intimacy" they are displaying during the breaks in skating.
    And what do you think abut this? For me its look like Marina want to say - it was my idea i could give toany other team too
    Look like V-M are inthe worst situation now.
    And why Tessa didnt post e-mails to Shpilband?

vCash
    You can't post e-mails from bubble. Bubble don't have internet wi-fi

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    And what do you think abut this? For me its look like Marina want to say - it was my idea i could give toany other team too
    Look like V-M are inthe worst situation now.
    And why Tessa didnt post e-mails to Shpilband?
    Maybe all six did and he just mentioned Meryl

What do I think of the "intimacy". I think their approach this year to to erase what they believe is the only edge V&M have over them. That phone conference seemed to really focus on selling the idea that they have worked on their connection and it will be obvious. I think showing this in the skating breaks really helps to give the impression it is now there when they are skating. I need to see the whole program from the right angles to see if I agree.

It's going to be interesting to see how this year unfolds because what we all knew would have to come at some point seems to be starting. There was a time in an interview when both teams wouldn't touch what the other did. I don't know that Marina was thinking "it was mine to give to any other team" because V&M had that connection BEFORE moving to Canton but I think Marina knows they need to do this to take from V&M's edge over them in that aspect. Maybe she is saying to both teams "here, you now have the same things to work with, may the best teams win". This year though I think V&M got the better music.

My imagination wonders if when V&M decided to switch Carmen from SD to FD they really did create something beautiful that caused the others to switch from Sinatra to Notre Dame. Just wishful thinking on my part

vCash
    From what little you can tell by watching D/W's practice..I don't know if all that staying attached to each other in between helps them , but it doesn't change anything for me ..seems a bit unnatural.. On the positive side ,I did notice quite a bit more stretch for Charlie ..and an obvious attempt at "emoting" ( at one point , right where the judges would be sitting, if I'm not mistaken ) .. but so far I don't think I saw much real difference between them when they were skating with each other.

I don't get this.. I always liked the way they were as a couple ..let them be themselves , and let T/S be T/S ... Oh, well..it doesn't spoil anything for me. I'll still like them for the same reasons I liked them in the first place , and T/S will still have an unparalleled inner connection that can't really be duplicated .( They forged this, or just discovered it themselves , naturally, when they were just kids ... they've just taken care to nurture it as they grew up .)

You know , they might never have D/W's blistering speed, either..and that would be O/K with me , too . I've always liked that the 2 couples are distinct..
    Last edited by Pratfall; 10-20-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    I did watch the portions of D&W FD. Need to see the whole thing to really get an impression and opinion but I did notice the new "intimacy" they are displaying during the breaks in skating.
    I also need to see the whole thing before I completely form an opinion, but I did like the choreography from the parts that they did. (There are still things I think need cleaning up though, like the Tanith spin for example. There's not enough extension.)

I the new "intimacy" as well and am sort of irked by it because it seems like they're just outright trying to copy/emulate V/M.

As to if V/M are in trouble this season, I'll admit to some worry, but we should probably wait until we see their programs before we start in with the panic.

ETA: When it comes to speed, I think V/M have plenty. D/W's blistering speed, IMO, isn't necessarily a huge positive in their skating. I've long thought they would be better off to slow it down a bit.

vCash
    I don't think V&M are in trouble. Of course I need to see their programs, maybe then I´ll change my mind

vCash
    let them be themselves , and let T/S be T/
    Thats my point too.

vCash
    That's my point exactly as well. It seems underhanded, too. Just be yourself.

Oh, and you haven't even seen their programs yet, it's much too soon to say Tessa and Scott are in a bad situation? Why exactly?

vCash
    Just because there best frends try to copy them so much.

vCash

Re: Virtue ~ Moir n. 20. L’amour est un oiseau rebelle

Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    Just because there best frends try to copy them so much.
    I think we need to trust Tessa and Scott, no?

The fact that DW are approaching their skating not on their terms but based on what another team does makes me very angry. It's gamesmanship. I'm sure DW are very close friends, there's no denying that, but now they're actively replicating another team's moves and expressions. Are we playing mirror tactics this late in the game? Sad.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

vCash
    Hey guys. I haven't seen D/W's FD yet, but if what you guys are saying is true, I wonder what we'll get from Tessa and Scott; will Marina try to downplay their connection in favor of more excitement?

In regards to Igor, he basically confirms our speculation for me and I'm now convinced he's trying to politik (I think that's how you guys say it here) against Tessa and Scott. I can't believe I felt sorry for him when the whole Canton uproar happened. I can just imagine him downplaying T/S's Carmen and saying C/L have better interpretation and such. Anyways I really hope Tessa and Scott come out with their guns blazing...they have to.

Page 36 of 52 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast