Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 561 to 580 of 1038
  1. #561
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    1,334
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Okay, the guy is not in tights, the girl is not in a tutu, They skate a program to ballet music. Which is fine, and they would do a great job, but now it is not a ballet program. It's a program to ballet music, which is fine.
    Shows that you haven't seen much ballet. Those days, only in a small percentage of ballet productions ballerinas actually wear tutus. Even in classic ballet they don't always wear tutus. As for male dancers - they do wear tights in classical ballets, if those ballets are staged in a classical style, but there's also modern ballet, and more modern stagings of the same classical ballets. In such cases, male dancers don't always wear tights (sorry, I don't have enough time to go looking for photos now). But that doesn't make it a dance to ballet music instead of real ballet.

    Of course, in 'Swan Lake' dancers are always (as far as I know) dressed in classical costumes, but Tessa and Scott wouldn't have to necessarily choose 'Swan Lake' music for their FD.

  2. #562

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,729
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1795

  3. #563
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,124
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    I think you're mistaken. She isn't wearing a tutu.

  4. #564

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,729
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1795
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    I think you're mistaken. She isn't wearing a tutu.

  5. #565
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    1,334
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    Thank you, pani. Okay, he is dressed in a hugging costume the lower part of which is practically tights here, but at least she is not dressed in a tutu. This kind of dress is actually what comes to my mind when thinking of many ballets.

  6. #566
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    758
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I would love to see a V/M Blues .You can find lots of variety of tempo in Blues , and I thought it didn't even need to change tempo as long as there was a sense of the music building toward the end( e.g. fuller orchestration , building to a crescendo ) as W/P's Malade did last year.

    I was never a fan of U/Z's blues interpretation .. didn't he shake her by the neck at one point ? ... Fine skating yes , but it never made me say , " Now that's the blues " . They retained just too much European sensibility for my taste .

  7. #567
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The airport
    Posts
    1,242
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    I think you're mistaken. She isn't wearing a tutu.
    Hahahahaha!

    By the way, thanks for that link, Pani. Absolutely gorgeous, I was enthralled.

  8. #568
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    1,334
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post
    I would love to see a V/M Blues .You can find lots of variety of tempo in Blues , and I thought it didn't even need to change tempo as long as there was a sense of the music building toward the end( e.g. fuller orchestration , building to a crescendo )
    When people speak of blues and orchestration, I think jazz or at least jazz-blues is what they mean, rather than real blues. Blues in the classical sense is more about guitars - acoustic in it's beginnings, and then also electric in later times. Plus drums, probably some keyboards and/or brass (saxophone and so on). But with a saxophone and keyboards, or even piano that's already a more jazzy sound. In truth, the more instruments, and the bigger an "orhestration", the further from "real" blues it gets.

    By the way, Tessa and Scott's 2010/2011 season FD's 'Temptation' part can be considered a jazz-blues, although essentially it's more jazz. And I wouldn't want to see a repeat. They would have to choose a different, more bluesy kind of blues.

  9. #569

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,729
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1795
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    By the way, Tessa and Scott's 2010/2011 season FD's 'Temptation' part can be considered a jazz-blues, although essentially it's more jazz. And I wouldn't want to see a repeat. They would have to choose a different, more bluesy kind of blues.
    Yes, in reality Temptation is blues, but not rhumba

  10. #570
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,818
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    Yes, in reality Temptation is blues, but not rhumba
    Neither is Hip Hip Chin Chin, but they did it anyway

  11. #571
    YEAH!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Worshipping Grebenkina...
    Posts
    13,807
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11008
    Interesting discussions here!

    Re: Ballet - I actually liked I&K's DQ. It wasn't perfect, but then, they were just up from juniors, while V&M will be in contention for their second OGM. Neither Elena nor Nikita have extensive ballet experience as Tessa does, AFAIK, although Elena is good at hip hop! I&K's biggest problem was that Zhulin didn't change their lifts to fit the program (and certainly it would be easy to find nice balletic poses for that), but I loved the musicality and the way the program flowed... to me, all of those twizzles and spins and crap I usually hate actually made sense when it was two people doing ballet. This would be exquisite for V&M, and a perfect tribute to Russia for Sochi.

    Don't forget, they may have chosen Schendrin's Carmen, and may be doing a ballet/modern ballet this season.

    Re: Costumes - Yeah, a tutu probably wouldn't work. I can picture Tessa in a longish sparkly white gown for Swan Lake, but that's too similar to Mahler. They would have to do the black swan, but that's too played out. So probably no Swan Lake. Maybe there will actually be a pro scene and they'll do it there, tutus and all! Yeah right.

    Re: Blues - I agree with almost all of the comments actually. Yes, they could do it amazingly. Yes, it's possible to win the OGM with it (I mean who thought jive could win until G&P did it?). But overall, I'm gonna say no, it's just too risky. This year or last year would've been the time. You don't pick a slow dance when your biggest rivals are fast and energetic (remember, going into Vancouver, the team to beat wasn't D&W, but DomShabs, who tended to be slow and classical).

  12. #572

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,899
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    IDK this talk about T/S potentially not doing a program because they wouldn't be able to wear tights or a tutu or certain costumes just isn't plausible to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    Thank you a lot!

    I think soem people have too high expectation about Tessa-Scott FD. So i think we will need to see at first.
    As for Anna and Luca for me there best FD was "La Traviata". But i hope Vlasova will work with them now and we will improvement at SC
    I was gonna comment on this, but I forgot. I think you might be right about the the expectation being really high for T/S's program. I don't know if that's a bad thing or not, but it's to be expected because of who they are. At first I didn't have any expectations at all cuz I was still trying to make my peace with Carmen. Then HP camp came around and those pics were revealed and my expectations went from zero to eighty, so now I am a bit anxious those expectations wouldn't be met. I'm pretty confident their take will be different from C/L's, but as somebody said above, if the music arrangement is similar, it might take away some of the impact of Tessa and Scott's program. I also read an article after Finlandia that C/L had actually been creating a different program for the new season, but it was too similar to last season's FD, so they changed to Carmen.

  13. #573
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    832
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    All of this talk of Carmen made me think of this special (I believe it was filmed shortly after the '88 Olympics) featuring Katarina Witt, Brian Orser and Brian Boitano doing non other than "Carmen on Ice." The choreo was by Sandra Bezic, and I felt the entire production was sensational. I just thought it might give us some more ideas to use in our speculation, and also kill some of the pre-GP season boredom. I've attached a link for part 1, and the rest can be easily found. Enjoy!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFep6bm8JdA

  14. #574
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    758
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Re; Blues / orchestration / crescendo...

    When I say say blues, I don't necessarily mean jazz blues (although although I'd certainly include them) ... and early blues ,say one or two people with guitars .. is no more real than say, B.B.King with a bass , piano ,drummer, and a couple of horns . ( I wouldn't suggest the idea to B.B. , anyway .)

    I simply mean how many instruments are playing at once , are they playing softly or loudly , and so on .. either way , it could be musicians playing from a written arrangement , or musicians improvising..they can achieve a "building" effect without necessarily changing tempo.

    You can consider Temptation whatever you want , I guess..but Tom Waits wrote it and plays it as a rhumba ... it's not your standard latin rhumba , but the rhythm is definitely there , and it's not a blues ballad ..a jazz torch song in a rhumba rhythm ?..By any name , it worked.

    Though I think V/M could handle a ballet theme well , count me among those who doesn't much care for tutus on ice...But I never feel that using ballet music , or even a theme from a particular ballet requires that you tell the whole story in 4 mins. and that the costume has to echo the ballet costume. It's OK if it adapts well for ice dance , but often , it won't.

    In the case of Carmen, I actually would love to see an ice dance friendly version of Carmen's corset from the Petit ballet ( there could be a tiny skirt attached , like a ruffle or two deep) ...but I don't imagine I'll get my wish.

    I've always hoped to see them do a Tango FD , since I don't think there's a couple skating today who could do it as well ( only Max Shabalin had a comparable feeling for Tango ) ... but I don't think I'll get to see that , either, now... I think I'll go have a glass of wine ...
    Last edited by Pratfall; 10-10-2012 at 05:07 AM.

  15. #575
    Crazy Stalker Lady
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Busy stalking the world.
    Posts
    3,929
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    43667
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    Wow wow wow Thank you!
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

  16. #576
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    592
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    has anyone heard news on Scott's injury. Thanks for the modern ballet link Pani. Loved it.

  17. #577
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,571
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I remember when the Carmen on Ice came out - It was directed by Orser who won best director for it.

  18. #578
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,818
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post
    Re; Blues / orchestration / crescendo...

    When I say say blues, I don't necessarily mean jazz blues (although although I'd certainly include them) ... and early blues ,say one or two people with guitars .. is no more real than say, B.B.King with a bass , piano ,drummer, and a couple of horns . ( I wouldn't suggest the idea to B.B. , anyway .)

    I simply mean how many instruments are playing at once , are they playing softly or loudly , and so on .. either way , it could be musicians playing from a written arrangement , or musicians improvising..they can achieve a "building" effect without necessarily changing tempo.

    You can consider Temptation whatever you want , I guess..but Tom Waits wrote it and plays it as a rhumba ... it's not your standard latin rhumba , but the rhythm is definitely there , and it's not a blues ballad ..a jazz torch song in a rhumba rhythm ?..By any name , it worked.

    Though I think V/M could handle a ballet theme well , count me among those who doesn't much care for tutus on ice...But I never feel that using ballet music , or even a theme from a particular ballet requires that you tell the whole story in 4 mins. and that the costume has to echo the ballet costume. It's OK if it adapts well for ice dance , but often , it won't.

    In the case of Carmen, I actually would love to see an ice dance friendly version of Carmen's corset from the Petit ballet ( there could be a tiny skirt attached , like a ruffle or two deep) ...but I don't imagine I'll get my wish.

    I've always hoped to see them do a Tango FD , since I don't think there's a couple skating today who could do it as well ( only Max Shabalin had a comparable feeling for Tango ) ... but I don't think I'll get to see that , either, now... I think I'll go have a glass of wine ...
    Ooh Domnina and Shabalin could have done an AMAZING tango. Beautiful lines and Domnina had that amazing presence that was easily visible in their Tango Romantica.
    Tessa and Scott could do an amazing one as well, but they won't because Davis and White already did one.

  19. #579

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,729
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1795
    Just watch P-B SD. Love it. I like it more then Isabel and Olivie can can.
    Not sure about waltz, but look lovely

  20. #580
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The airport
    Posts
    1,242
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    If you ask me, I'd much rather they picked Shchedrin's. I mean, that is, in essence, a modern Carmen so.

Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •