Page 28 of 52 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    If Tessa & Scott do a ballet program, would you think Scott should wear a typical men's ballet type costume with the very tight tights?

Like this?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...as_de_deux.jpg

I'm not at all sure he likes those type of pants to skate in?? Certainly, I do not remember ever seeing him doing so...

This may have to do with why they have not as yet skated in a ballet format, although both would be well able to do an excellent job of such a program.
    Is this a serious post?

vCash
    Just watched
    W/P-SP was lovely, FD I see potential, I liked it.
    C/L- It's alright I guess, nothing special or different
    P/B- I like them, I like the Rolling Stones, so I should like this...
    well I don't. Like a few others I couldn't get through it
    either. 'The Mummy' kinda grew on me and it is early in
    the season but I just don't see it happening. I feel like
    this is so 'beneath' them. Now that I'm writing about it I
    feel depressed just thinking about it I actually think I hate
    it and that makes me

vCash
    If Tessa & Scott do a ballet program, would you think Scott should wear a typical men's ballet type costume with the very tight tights?

Like this?

I'm not at all sure he likes those type of pants to skate in?? Certainly, I do not remember ever seeing him doing so...

This may have to do with why they have not as yet skated in a ballet format, although both would be well able to do an excellent job of such a program.
    OMG!! Hell to the no!! Lol I don't even know what to say...just no. Actually for some reason I kept imagining Scott wearing tights for their FD (I think it's because of some of the Carmen ballet pics everybody was posting) and it scared me, but then I thought he would never ever wear something like that. Anyways I'm glad to know there's a rule that makes it impossible. And I also don't think Tessa and Scott wouldn't skate to a program they want because of what they can or can't wear. I'm definitely in the minority, but I don't even want them to do a ballet program next season; I rather see a blues number or something.

ETA: Sequins I agree about P/B's FD, I actually thought I would like it, but it was the b-word for me.
    Last edited by Shayii; 10-09-2012 at 12:14 AM.

vCash
    I usually don't like P&B's FD's, especially at the start of the season. I usually find their SD's (and OD's) stronger conceptually. But they usually convince me based on content and skating skills by the time Worlds come around. I still find this years FD theme one dimensional and a disappointment but even though I feel the artistic side is a let down I think the athletes will give a strong fight.

vCash
    I am not too concerned about interviews (DW). They cant very well say that their program is generic or whatever. It has to be the biggest and the bestest. Meryl is the epitome of a ballet dancer etc etc. Its called tooting your own horn to create an aura.

The proof will be in the pudding and how it progresses during the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    I'm definitely in the minority, but I don't even want them to do a ballet program next season; I rather see a blues number or something.
    I join you in that minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    I am not too concerned about interviews (DW). They cant very well say that their program is generic or whatever. It has to be the biggest and the bestest. Meryl is the epitome of a ballet dancer etc etc. Its called tooting your own horn to create an aura.

The proof will be in the pudding and how it progresses during the season.
    Exactly. All skaters will say they have the most innovative music, or choreography, or that this season they're better than ever. Well, good for them for believing in themselves but it doesn't mean anything till they actually compete and the programs are judged.

vCash
    Tights are illegal anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post
    Tights are illegal anyway.
    Good. That's a relief. I had forgotten.

But the example of I&K would remind anyone of why trying to make a true ballet program (as opposed to one done to music from a ballet) has its pitfalls. If you recall at the time, their coach went on about how only I&K could skate a true ballet program. And then we all got to watch it.

Pitfall one: the guy can't dress in tights. Now the program is a guy who can be taken for a guy off the street, dancing with a ballerina, as in who's Joe Schmoe up there with Maria Tallchief?

Second pitfall. Illinykh wore a tutu of sorts, and many said, "Aha, that's a coverup for the fact that they skate so far apart you could drive a golfcart between them. With the tutu in the way, they can't be faulted for skating far apart and doing a very open program with no transitions to speak of." One of Tessa & Scott's strong points is that they skate very close together. Another is that they do great transitions. Why would they give those advantages away by having Tessa wear a tutu?

Okay, the guy is not in tights, the girl is not in a tutu, They skate a program to ballet music. Which is fine, and they would do a great job, but now it is not a ballet program. It's a program to ballet music, which is fine.

If I were in a team that wanted to do ballet on ice, I'd do it in a Canadian TV special, with Scott in tights, and Tessa in an outfit correct to the ballet they were putting on ice, and it would be a great show.

So no, I do not think they should do a ballet program for a competitive program. And I think they would do a great blues; the swooping, held notes of a slow blues would let them show their deep edges, & closeness of skating.

Furthermore, I think the point of their hockey skater/ballerina exhibition number was that Scott is not crazy about ballet on ice, even though Tessa is...which would be a problem for any coach/choreographer. You don't want the guy to be a reluctant participant in a program. But that is just conjecture on my part.
    Last edited by DORISPULASKI; 10-09-2012 at 10:17 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    When in doubt, guess secret baby
    Scott's the one injured this time, so the secret baby conspiracy theory wouldn't fly, unless part of the theory is some sort of outstanding scientific/medical miracle. But never underestimate what kind theory people would come up with online.

Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing Scott in super super tight tights lol ...
    Fan girl in me wouldn't mind either, but not in competition. My fantasy photoshoot for T/S would be them sort of like in their body fit black practice outfit doing their dance moves/lifts, but in a professional studio. Love the practice pics taken of them last year but it would be awesome to get something captured in the controlled environment of a studio, get the best angles/lighting/timing etc, make it cover worthy material.

...Furthermore, I think the point of their hockey skater/ballerina exhibition number was that Scott is not crazy about ballet on ice, even though Tessa is...which would be a problem for any coach/choreographer. You don't want the guy to be a reluctant participant in a program. But that is just conjecture on my part.
    Well, my take on the hockey player/ballerina ex is that it is their story, literally. It is them. Two very different people finding a common ground and dancing great together. Or maybe that's the uber in me speaking.

vCash
    Like Doris said, I have always wanted them to do a blues number which would indeed show off their many strengths.........maybe next year
    Addicted to FSU

vCash

Like this?

So Charlie will wear this? Cant wait SA
    Yes, V-M never need to do ballet dance, because Meryl is truth balerina. And V-M need to sakte something (slow blues) wich help D-W become OGM in Sochi.
    Doris, with all your "love" to V-M i dont think i will pay attention to your opinion about what they need to wear or what music they need to use.

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    Like Doris said, I have always wanted them to do a blues number which would indeed show off their many strengths.........maybe next year
    I've got my fingers and toes crossed for a blues number next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aka_gerbil View Post
    I've got my fingers and toes crossed for a blues number next year.
    Any skaters won OG with slow blues?

vCash
    pani, I don't think Charlie will wear tights, and I don't expect D&W's Giselle polka will be particularly balletic, either. I was not the one who went on about Meryl's ballet training, after all. For one thing, I'm not a balletomane in any case.

For another thing, there are several places in the YP where you are supposed to point your heel rather than your toe, which isn't balletic in any way at all.

I don't expect anyone to take my opinion about anything, either, for that matter-either about D&W, I&K or V&M or the price of pork chops.

I just think ballet on ice is pretty whack for any team, especially for a competitive program, and I&K's program showed the difficulties perfectly. YMMV.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    Any skaters won OG with slow blues?
    Not off the top of my head.... But, then again, there have only ever been 10 OGM ice dance programs at this point in time. There's no reason that a well-choreographed, extremely well skated blues program wouldn't win the Olympics. OGM's aren't won on the basis of the music style alone.... Between their connection and the quality of their skating, V/M would be able to do an outstanding blues...

Also, I think the argument could be made that if U/Z had done the blues program they used in 93 for 94 instead, they would've/could've won the OGM in 94.

vCash
    Also, I think the argument could be made that if U/Z had done the blues program they used in 93 for 94 instead, they would've/could've won the OGM in 94.
    But he didnt For OG you need programs, wich will put people on there feets. I am not sure slow blues could made this. And with new rules ice dance team couldnt use only one blues - they need to have changing of rythm/mood.

vCash
    But he didnt For OG you need programs, wich will put people on there feets. I am not sure slow blues could made this. And with new rules ice dance team couldnt use only one blues - they need to have changing of rythm/mood.
    No, they didn't use the blues program. They used the Fellini program. Although I personally enjoy it, it was not the greatest choice for them in an Olympic year. I don't think it's a leap to say U/Z would have faired better with the blues in 94.

I understand that the rules are different now. That said, the Blues genre itself is both vast and deep, with a myriad of different styles within. Plus, there are other styles of music that pair well with the blues. They do a section of their FD as a slow, sultry blues... No big deal.

And, yes, I remember you saying before that you're not a big blues fan. It's likely we won't agree on this.

ETA: I think Doris makes some excellent points about the difficulties of doing a straight-up translation of ballet into ice dance. On paper, it sounds like a really good idea, especially when you think about Tessa's extensive background in ballet. In reality though, as evidenced by I/K's program in the 10/11 season, it's hard to do in practice.

vCash
    And, yes, I remember you saying before that you're not a big blues fan. It's likely we won't agree on this.
    I like blues, but dont think this music could bring gold in ice dance
    And when i watched juniors SDs this season i notice, that i hate when teams need use blues with some more "happy" music

I/K's program in the 10/11 season, it's hard to do in practice.
    Because I-K couldnt at that point show this FD in good way I am sure T-S could show realy great Don Qiote FD, but we will never see this
    If someone could do this- its V-M for sure. But D-W will skate ballet, yes.
    And i read all, what Doris post about V-M at GS, so i know what she is thinking about them.

vCash
    I like bluse, but dont think this music could bring gold in ice dance
    And when i watched juniors SDs this season i notice, that i hate when teams need use blues with some more "happy" music
    I guess it's someone else who doesn't like blues. I swear there's someone who doesn't.

I think a V/M blues would win. You also have to admit that a V/M blues would be unlike (and way better) than what the junior teams are doing this year. Plus, plenty of music that's not happy that would pair with the blues.

vCash
    I guess it's someone else who doesn't like blues. I swear there's someone who doesn't.

I think a V/M blues would win. You also have to admit that a V/M blues would be unlike (and way better) than what the junior teams are doing this year. Plus, plenty of music that's not happy that would pair with the blues.
    Like i said before, with new rules V-M couldnt made FD in U-Zh style.
    And like you know, judges let some teams to not pay attention to the rules, but not others.

Page 28 of 52 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast