Page 20 of 52 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 400 of 1038
  1. #381
    Rooting for the Underdogs
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Politicking for P&B and V&M
    Posts
    1,630
    vCash
    887
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Although one change I might make would be to allow the skaters to choose their own music. That could get rid of the some of the monotony that people experienced during the compulsory dance. After all, most casual viewers can't tell anything apart anyway except for the music.
    Using the same music and doing the same steps really allowed a comparison of apples to apples, so to speak. The casual fan might not be able to tell things apart except the music but I'm of the mind that when it comes to sorting out these teams, the opinion of the casual fan shouldn't matter when it comes to the standings. It's ice dance, not American Idol.

  2. #382
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,754
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aka_gerbil View Post
    Using the same music and doing the same steps really allowed a comparison of apples to apples, so to speak. The casual fan might not be able to tell things apart except the music but I'm of the mind that when it comes to sorting out these teams, the opinion of the casual fan shouldn't matter when it comes to the standings. It's ice dance, not American Idol.
    I understand your argument, but one of the reasons why compulsories were phased out was because complained about how boring they were. I don't know if you remember Olympic Ice from Turin (the NBC/USA figure skating talk show) but Mary Carillo and Dick Button kept going on about how boring the compulsories were and Mary was so shocked when she found out that they used to be popular in Europe.
    So if the audiences could be somehow tricked into thinking that there was more originality, the judges could still judge the quality of the patterns.

  3. #383
    Rooting for the Underdogs
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Politicking for P&B and V&M
    Posts
    1,630
    vCash
    887
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    I understand your argument, but one of the reasons why compulsories were phased out was because complained about how boring they were. I don't know if you remember Olympic Ice from Turin (the NBC/USA figure skating talk show) but Mary Carillo and Dick Button kept going on about how boring the compulsories were and Mary was so shocked when she found out that they used to be popular in Europe.
    So if the audiences could be somehow tricked into thinking that there was more originality, the judges could still judge the quality of the patterns.
    I've been watching skating since 1992, so I know that some find them boring to watch. That said, I still think they served a very important purpose in sorting these dance teams out.

  4. #384

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,670
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4440
    I'd be happy to be back to a 3 dance format, letting skaters pick their own CD music.

    Really.

  5. #385

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,565
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    How do you think, when Tessa-Scott will arrive to Finlandia?
    And who will go with them - Marina? Or maybe Mauricio, he will be there with his ice dance teams from Finland.

  6. #386

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,853
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    How do you think, when Tessa-Scott will arrive to Finlandia?
    And who will go with them - Marina? Or maybe Mauricio, he will be there with his ice dance teams from Finland.
    I was wondering when they would arrive too, but I felt I was beginning to be a bit obsessive so I stopped lol. I'm really excited though, but also a bit nervous because what if I don't like the programs or what if I do like them, but others don't? (I'm probably being obsessive again).

    I think Marina will be with them.

  7. #387

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,565
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    I was wondering when they would arrive too, but I felt I was beginning to be a bit obsessive so I stopped lol. I'm really excited though, but also a bit nervous because what if I don't like the programs or what if I do like them, but others don't? (I'm probably being obsessive again).

    I think Marina will be with them.
    I am nervouse about how new programs will look like, what about levels, will people like new programs ect
    I think any program some people like, some - no. I hope i will like new programs from T-S.
    Cant wait to see how judges will like Bobrova-Soloviev FD.

    I think Marina will be there. But she have so many other teams...

  8. #388
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,754
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    I am nervouse about how new programs will look like, what about levels, will people like new programs ect
    I think any program some people like, some - no. I hope i will like new programs from T-S.
    Cant wait to see how judges will like Bobrova-Soloviev FD.

    I think Marina will be there. But she have so many other teams...
    I feel like Tessa and Scott will get their levels, if not at Finlandia, then at least when it matters at the GPF when they actually have a chance of not winning if they aren't 100%.
    Anyway, I don't really care whether other fans like Tessa and Scott's programs or not. There will always be the haters who will say that Tessa and Scott shouldn't win any major competitions, but they will continue to be at or at least near the top through Sochi barring any injuries. As for their choreography, I don't think Marina will give them anything bad, and they could make a Kustarova program look amazing, so I'm not worried.

  9. #389

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,565
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    I feel like Tessa and Scott will get their levels, if not at Finlandia, then at least when it matters at the GPF when they actually have a chance of not winning if they aren't 100%.
    Anyway, I don't really care whether other fans like Tessa and Scott's programs or not. There will always be the haters who will say that Tessa and Scott shouldn't win any major competitions, but they will continue to be at or at least near the top through Sochi barring any injuries. As for their choreography, I don't think Marina will give them anything bad, and they could make a Kustarova program look amazing, so I'm not worried.
    But its OK - all have there own opinion. I am more worry about technick (read not good words about Marina from Werner and he think this will be big revality in Finland, but i dont think so). And what a personally will feel about V-M new programs

  10. #390

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Age
    64
    Posts
    519
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1689
    Well - I'm pumped. I just know they will be great. My only regret is that at the start of each year I know we are one step closer to that day they no long compete. That will be a crushing year for me. I love many other skaters - but i have such a huge amount of love for Tessa and Scott and look so forward to what they bring each season. I'm on pins and needles!!
    pug lover

  11. #391

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,853
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    But its OK - all have there own opinion. I am more worry about technick (read not good words about Marina from Werner and he think this will be big revality in Finland, but i dont think so). And what a personally will feel about V-M new programs
    Who is Werner and what does he mean there will be big reality/rivalry (sorry I didn't know which one you meant precisely) in Finland?

  12. #392
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    553
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    sorry, Pani, did you mean revelation? . I would love to see the CD back I loved them
    Last edited by girlscouse62; 10-02-2012 at 12:05 AM. Reason: a late thought

  13. #393
    Crazy Stalker Lady
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Busy stalking the world.
    Posts
    3,829
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20070
    pani meant reality
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

  14. #394
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    553
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    thank you

  15. #395
    Crazy Stalker Lady
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Busy stalking the world.
    Posts
    3,829
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20070
    you're welcome
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

  16. #396

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,565
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by girlscouse62 View Post
    sorry, Pani, did you mean revelation? . I would love to see the CD back I loved them
    Sorry.

  17. #397

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,565
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    Who is Werner and what does he mean there will be big reality/rivalry (sorry I didn't know which one you meant precisely) in Finland?
    He is well known journalist. I think he mean rivality beyween Zueva skaters (Tessa-Scott) and Shpilband skaters (i think he mean Anna and Luca).
    He talked with Shpilband in Obersdorf. Now i satrt thinking Igor wish Carmen for Anna and Luca because he want to show he could made better without Marina. But its if belive in Werner words

  18. #398

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,445
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2477
    Well, with Tessa and Scott, it's pretty hard to tell what the finished product will be as they tweak throughout the season, but their skating and story telling skills speak for themselves. I would hate to think that a rivalry between coaches extends to make the skaters pawns of that rivalry, but I suppose it happens, and frankly, I don't have a lot of faith in the fact that Shpilband isn't above doing that. I still wonder what exactly were the reasons he was forced to leave........sorry if I bring up an old subject. I really hope that the above is not the case.

    All in all, I am really excited about viewing V/M's new programs this year as soon as they are posted somewhere, and I'm sure they will be .
    Addicted to FSU

  19. #399

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,670
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4440
    Perhaps a rivalry between the coaches will add to the quality of stuff done by teams in both camps-that's my tooth-fairy type wish for them all.

  20. #400
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,124
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    Well, with Tessa and Scott, it's pretty hard to tell what the finished product will be as they tweak throughout the season, but their skating and story telling skills speak for themselves. I would hate to think that a rivalry between coaches extends to make the skaters pawns of that rivalry, but I suppose it happens, and frankly, I don't have a lot of faith in the fact that Shpilband isn't above doing that. I still wonder what exactly were the reasons he was forced to leave........sorry if I bring up an old subject. I really hope that the above is not the case.

    All in all, I am really excited about viewing V/M's new programs this year as soon as they are posted somewhere, and I'm sure they will be .
    I can't imagine there NOT being a rivalry between the two, each has a lot to prove. It's how they make their living, it's important to remain attractive to potential clients.

    I think the three teams left in Canton will be the ones hurt the most by this and NOT because Igor (as some believe) is the better coach but because last season we saw the lead of D&W and V&M drop. I see some people write as if those two still have some big cushion from the others but the reality is in the SD the top three teams point spread was only 3 points. P&B were ONLY one point behind D&W. There is no more cushion. In articles you read many people are announcing these two teams as beatable. That all started with the great coaching duo still intact. On their own it will be so easy to say aloud over coffee during an ice break that "they can see a drop in quality, they are not as strong as they were before the coaching split". They are going to have to work so hard this season for that podium. It will be a very exciting season I think with some major upsets for at least one of these teams.

Page 20 of 52 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •