Page 14 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 1038
  1. #261
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,124
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    I don't know. Her theory that SC wanted to market a relationship between V/M, that V/M didn't want to do it, and so they came up with something else, makes sense to me.

    I don't understand why SC and V/M's PR team focus on the V/M relationship, when that isn't their biggest selling point. It's weird and frustrating.

    As many have already mentioned, a good PR team could manage V/M's social media presence completely, leaving V/M to focus on whatever they choose.

    V/M have had years to get a good PR team together. It can't be that hard, as most elite skaters already have good PR teams in place. Therefore I have to assume that V/M's PR is exactly as they want it.
    I have never felt SC want the focus on their relationship. I'm not sure what you are seeing from them that I don't. I don't even know how one could say their PR team is also guilty of this since it seems the conclusion that they don't really have a PR team I think the reason there is any focus on their relationship is because of the connection they have when they skate. Some people seem to have this need to fantasize about this. It was another poster who wrote some time ago that what woman wouldn't want to be looked at the way Scott looks at Tessa. They have been skating together since they were kids and clearly have a very close relationship (a bestfriend or sibling ).

    I think the reason Marina choreographes them a certain way is because she sees in them what she saw in Gordeeva and Grinkov. Both couples were born to skate together. Some people were also far too invested in the relationship of that couple and to this day have great anger and resentment that Katia dared to move on with her live and not spend it in perpetual mourning. I think these two couples are somewhat unique in the skating world regarding the amount of fantasy they invoke/d in some of their fans. It's obsessive and unhealthy.

  2. #262
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The airport
    Posts
    1,242
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post

    I think the reason Marina choreographes them a certain way is because she sees in them what she saw in Gordeeva and Grinkov. Both couples were born to skate together. Some people were also far too invested in the relationship of that couple and to this day have great anger and resentment that Katia dared to move on with her live and not spend it in perpetual mourning. I think these two couples are somewhat unique in the skating world regarding the amount of fantasy they invoke/d in some of their fans. It's obsessive and unhealthy.
    Exactly. You just put into words what I was just thinking.

  3. #263
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,922
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    I have never felt SC want the focus on their relationship. I'm not sure what you are seeing from them that I don't. I don't even know how one could say their PR team is also guilty of this since it seems the conclusion that they don't really have a PR team I think the reason there is any focus on their relationship is because of the connection they have when they skate. Some people seem to have this need to fantasize about this. It was another poster who wrote some time ago that what woman wouldn't want to be looked at the way Scott looks at Tessa. They have been skating together since they were kids and clearly have a very close relationship (a bestfriend or sibling ).
    I never said they don't have a PR team. They have an agent. He's listed on their website.

    As for what I'm seeing, off the top of my head, an example would be the list of media articles on their website. I'm going to assume that Tessa and Scott are not running their website by themselves, as that's what an agent typically does. Their website currently has 4 articles listed under the media section. Of the four, the only one that talks about either of them in any real depth is this one. You and I both know that there have been many more recent articles about V/M than those 4. Two that stand out are V/M's comments regarding the Shpilband/Zoueva break-up, and V/M's interview for ice-dance.com. Neither of those articles are listed. Why not? The agent must have known that V/M did those interviews. I'd have to assume they're not listed because the agent did not want to list them. So, why list an article that talks about their connection, but not articles that focus on their relationship with their coaches, or their ideas about skating?

    ETA: If I'm new to V/M, where would I go to learn more about the team? It makes sense that I'd go to their official website first. Their website is going to display them in the way they want to be displayed, because that's the site where they have the most control. If that site chooses to list those particular articles, and not the others, I'd have to think those are the articles to which they want me to pay particular attention.
    Last edited by sap5; 09-21-2012 at 09:45 PM.

  4. #264
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    303
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    So anything new recently, I wish we could see them do Carmen sooner rather than later.....so excited!

  5. #265

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    9,952
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    904
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    I never said they don't have a PR team. They have an agent. He's listed on their website.

    As for what I'm seeing, off the top of my head, an example would be the list of media articles on their website. I'm going to assume that Tessa and Scott are not running their website by themselves, as that's what an agent typically does. Their website currently has 4 articles listed under the media section. Of the four, the only one that talks about either of them in any real depth is this one. You and I both know that there have been many more recent articles about V/M than those 4. Two that stand out are V/M's comments regarding the Shpilband/Zoueva break-up, and V/M's interview for ice-dance.com. Neither of those articles are listed. Why not? The agent must have known that V/M did those interviews. I'd have to assume they're not listed because the agent did not want to list them. So, why list an article that talks about their connection, but not articles that focus on their relationship with their coaches, or their ideas about skating?

    ETA: If I'm new to V/M, where would I go to learn more about the team? It makes sense that I'd go to their official website first. Their website is going to display them in the way they want to be displayed, because that's the site where they have the most control. If that site chooses to list those particular articles, and not the others, I'd have to think those are the articles to which they want me to pay particular attention.
    I don't get this obsession of some fans that they must have a PR team. Why? How many athletes in Canada have a PR team other than the likes of Sydney Crosby? Do Davis and White have a "pr team"? Does Patrick Chan? Other than these skaters using twitter and Facebook, I'm not really seeing a PR team.

    Also it's entirely possible that Virtue and Moir don't want articles on the Marina/Igor split on their website because it was rather ugly and controversial.

  6. #266

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    9,952
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    904
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    I don't know. Her theory that SC wanted to market a relationship between V/M, that V/M didn't want to do it, and so they came up with something else, makes sense to me.

    I don't understand why SC and V/M's PR team focus on the V/M relationship, when that isn't their biggest selling point. It's weird and frustrating.

    As many have already mentioned, a good PR team could manage V/M's social media presence completely, leaving V/M to focus on skating, and whatever else they choose.

    V/M have had years to get a good PR team together. It can't be that hard, as most elite skaters already have good PR teams in place. Therefore I have to assume that V/M's PR is exactly as they want it.
    Maybe Virtue and Moir don't have the money, or don't want to spend the money, on paying a PR team.

  7. #267
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The airport
    Posts
    1,242
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    If you are a new fan and want to get news, you do your homework: come here, check their programs on YouTube, etc. I just don't see what's the big deal. They are interviewed often, they published a book, they actually are very approachable in person, what else do you want? Personally, I think their PR (or lack thereof) is fine the way it is. It's also who they are as people, they like their privacy. Some people are making a fuss out of nothing.

    I'm assuming, however, that once they turn pro (if that is their plan, and something tells me it is) They might focus a bit more on the business side of things.

    ETA: Yeah, what Rafter said.

  8. #268

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Petaluma, CA
    Posts
    5,618
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8129
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    What a silly argument. It has been announced they are skating at Finnlandia, SC and CoR. I imagine GPF, 4CC and Worlds announcements would be made when they are actually assigned and/or qualify, it would be cocky to announce it ahead of time . We've seen video from HPC announcing music choices so that box is checked and I think it's safe to assume that they are somewhat happy with their training as they are going to start competing in two weeks. They also "warn" you in those short videos that you might not like the polka they had to insert in their SD and that their FD is quite challenging so expect it to take the season to perfect. <--My interpretation of course.

    I don't visit skater websites. I'm the type of fan who is all about the skating and visit competition websites, results pages, ISU site. And FSU because I figure if there is any interesting gossip to hear it'll end up here. I also think we've had enough clues over the years that V&M do not have social media as a high priority and that Tessa (at least) might in fact take to heart the idea that skaters and their families should never visit sites like FSU. I think for skaters like V&M, Chan, Pluschenko, K&S etc.. who get more than their fair share of hate online should avoid it. Anything useful that they might pick up from conversations between skating fans can be filtered to them. For me their job is to skate and depending on your sensitivities it might be hard to concentrate on that if you spend too much time interacting online and having to deal with so much negativity.

    I'd rather they stayed strong mentally and continued to train and win than to know what they ate for breakfast or answer for the millionth time what their relationship status is. Consider for a moment if you as a fan are tired of protecting them how exhausting it might be for them to have to do that. I think they should stay offline personally.

    Finally some people just aren't into this whole social media phenom. You have to keep in mind that while you might be addicted to facebook, twitter etc.. other people have checked out these things and decided it isn't for them and resist. Personally I admire in general anyone who can resist these sites and gets outside and lives their lives instead of sitting somewhere hunched over typing away their lives on cellphones or computers. I'm not one of those yet. I strive to be but I'm still addicted to the internet. Baby steps for me are no more facebook and resisting twitter. There are some benefits to twitter that I recognize such as getting a phonecall yesterday from child asking if I could go online to find out why they had been stuck at the same traffic light for 15 minutes. Within seconds I could tell them of an accident and to pull out a book and study while she waited But the useful moments of twitter are far outweighed by the pointless and often nasty BS that goes on. People getting into arguments and fights over misunderstandings because the typed word has little context and things get blown out of proportion. Minor disagreements turn into full blown arguments as one tweets or posts their impulsive feeling at that moment and everyone and their dog decides to pick sides and give opinions. There are a lot of reasons to avoid these places and if you know your strengths and weaknesses you have to do what is best for you.
    Fabulous post! And, I am one of the few (I think) people who do not Tweet, Friend, Link in or anything else. And, today while picking up my daughter's new iPhone (I want to come back as one of my children) the gal at Verizon told me that a mag cover said Kate Middleton was pregnant with twins. I immediately came to FSU to check out that information
    DH - and that's just my opinion

  9. #269

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,894
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    random ... was watching a great singer on youtube sing a taste of honey when i read this comment and thought of tessa and scott and carmen

    Lizz Wright has this uncanny talent of taking a song that's been sung upways, downways, sideways and still make it sound soo fresh like it was written for her or that she wrote it herself and find a new direction to take that song to.  Well, frankly I think any old song is lucky to be sung by Lizz.
    Aww that's cute. I hope T/S can do that with Carmen!
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    I never said they don't have a PR team. They have an agent. He's listed on their website.

    As for what I'm seeing, off the top of my head, an example would be the list of media articles on their website. I'm going to assume that Tessa and Scott are not running their website by themselves, as that's what an agent typically does. Their website currently has 4 articles listed under the media section. Of the four, the only one that talks about either of them in any real depth is this one. You and I both know that there have been many more recent articles about V/M than those 4. Two that stand out are V/M's comments regarding the Shpilband/Zoueva break-up, and V/M's interview for ice-dance.com. Neither of those articles are listed. Why not? The agent must have known that V/M did those interviews. I'd have to assume they're not listed because the agent did not want to list them. So, why list an article that talks about their connection, but not articles that focus on their relationship with their coaches, or their ideas about skating?

    ETA: If I'm new to V/M, where would I go to learn more about the team? It makes sense that I'd go to their official website first. Their website is going to display them in the way they want to be displayed, because that's the site where they have the most control. If that site chooses to list those particular articles, and not the others, I'd have to think those are the articles to which they want me to pay particular attention.
    I never clicked on the media button before so I never noticed there was only four articles lol. It is interesting to see which four they chose to include. The article you linked above is so sappy though--how can anyone blame the fans that ship them and fantasize about their relationship. Sometimes I feel like they ask for it when you read articles like these or see their actions around each other. And let's face it most of the new fans that started following T/S after the Olympics became their fans based on that connection they have and instantly thought they were a couple. When they said they weren't in fact a couple some people were able to still be their fans based solely on what they do on the ice, while some still hold out hope that they'll "see the truth" one day...whether that's obsessive/unhealthy or not, I don't know.

  10. #270

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,724
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1795
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    . Sometimes I feel like they ask for it when you read articles like these or see their actions around each other.
    "Are you a couple off-ice?"
    "OMG, no"
    . And Scott look at Tessa. like he want to eat her And touch her everywhere
    Just joking I think for there buisness (for skating) they work a lot on this connection so they practice it sometime off-ice, when they talk with media
    If they will not play like this with each other, nobody will ask them, no?
    I cant remember people a lot off times asked are Meryl and Charlie couple off ice. Just because off-ice they didnt play with each other.

  11. #271

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,866
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11372
    It's not surprising Tessa & Scott don't have a PR firm or a big deal website. Skating in North America is not what it was in the 1990's. And if SC doesn't require twitter, I don't see why they would tweet. But I do hope they will at least post their schedule on this new website, which would be a nice thing for their fans.

    Yes, Meryl & Charlie get asked if they are a couple. I think it is the only question most non-skate fans interviewers can think to ask Check out the last interview from D/W, promoting US Nationals. They got the question, again, gave an answer about why having a relationship and trying to compete together is a bad idea for any couple.

    I don't think they have a PR firm. They have an agent though. They do have facebook & Twitter, but I think USFS makes them do it-it gets linked on the icenetwork Twitter feed, so it is semi official. ice-dance.com has their official website, which is pretty schematic, but at least shows their schedule.

    Maybe some dancers with huge money in the family (Isabelle Tobias maybe?) have a PR and a really hot website, but not most.

    Back in the day, Tara Lipinsky had a PR firm when she was in Juniors-but that was then; this is now.

  12. #272
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    On a ship
    Posts
    899
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    "Are you a couple off-ice?"
    "OMG, no"
    . And Scott look at Tessa. like he want to eat her And touch her everywhere
    sometimes one can eat and can touch without being a couple

  13. #273
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The airport
    Posts
    1,242
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think the question was brought up a bit more before, they have given it a rest now. But some fan still misinterpret their relationship.

    Anyway, random question, what is D&W's short dance?

  14. #274
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,816
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Golightly View Post
    I think the question was brought up a bit more before, they have given it a rest now. But some fan still misinterpret their relationship.

    Anyway, random question, what is D&W's short dance?
    Giselle

  15. #275

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,724
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1795
    Quote Originally Posted by martyross View Post
    sometimes one can eat and can touch without being a couple
    Yes. But why they wonder people still ask them about there relationships. Great actors, what could i say?

    Doris, i know about last D-W interview. It was first time, when journalist ask them are the a coiple off-ice. Not sure he even saw there sakting.

  16. #276
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    303
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I wish interviewers would stop with those are you a couple questions, it's clear they are not & this was exactly what happened with Torvill & Dean years ago, & Chris said once, we got a kick out of people thinking that so we just went with it.

    I see T&S relationship alot like T&D's. They are close friends who will remain that way forever but that is it, I believe that is the best thing too, if they were a couple off ice it would have eventually lead to drama & issues that end up being brought on the ice with them. I don't think Scott thinks of Tessa like that at all.

  17. #277
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,150
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    and wouldnt all those pesky questions about their relationship somehow subside if tessa and scott would be more forthright about the people that they are actually seeing/dating? like what charlie and tanith are doing? isnt scott dating jessica dube? if that's so, and if people actually know about it, wouldnt people respect that relationship? if i were in jessica's place, i would be a bit hurt if people would keep asking my bf if he were seeing another girl. and scott himself, he should know better by simply saying that he's dating jessica dube.

    and with charlie and tanith being more forthright with their relationship, people dont ask charlie and meryl as much if they're a couple off ice.

  18. #278

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,724
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1795
    Quote Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
    and wouldnt all those pesky questions about their relationship somehow subside if tessa and scott would be more forthright about the people that they are actually seeing/dating? like what charlie and tanith are doing? isnt scott dating jessica dube? if that's so, and if people actually know about it, wouldnt people respect that relationship? if i were in jessica's place, i would be a bit hurt if people would keep asking my bf if he were seeing another girl. and scott himself, he should know better by simply saying that he's dating jessica dube.

    and with charlie and tanith being more forthright with their relationship, people dont ask charlie and meryl as much if they're a couple off ice.
    Its not only about D-W, but about other skaters too.
    But maybe T-S want to save there bf/gf from persona attack from V-M fans?
    How i remember some crazy posts about V-M in internet were made after Scott said he has gf and put his photo with Jess in internet. And when Jess, like Tanith, put her photos with Scott, that people become more agressive
    I am not sure about Scott and Jessica still dating, but who knows.

  19. #279
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    184
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    "Are you a couple off-ice?"
    "OMG, no"
    . And Scott look at Tessa. like he want to eat her And touch her everywhere
    Just joking I think for there buisness (for skating) they work a lot on this connection so they practice it sometime off-ice, when they talk with media
    If they will not play like this with each other, nobody will ask them, no?
    I cant remember people a lot off times asked are Meryl and Charlie couple off ice. Just because off-ice they didnt play with each other.
    You are wrong. People ask a lot off time if D-W are couple. There interviews are before Olympics and after Olympics where they ask this. These interviews in website, audio and video types. I don't have lot off time to make list. Nothing to do with playing or not playing. It is because they skate for so long just like T-S. Of course, you only see what you want to see

  20. #280

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,724
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1795
    Quote Originally Posted by iNap View Post
    You are wrong. People ask a lot off time if D-W are couple. There interviews are before Olympics and after Olympics where they ask this. These interviews in website, audio and video types. I don't have lot off time to make list. Nothing to do with playing or not playing. It is because they skate for so long just like T-S. Of course, you only see what you want to see
    Are this hurt D-W fans if nobody ask them are they couple off-ice?
    A great pleasure to talk with myself

Page 14 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •