Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    At this point, we don't know that they picked any polka music, and that's terrifying.
    They said in an interview during HPC when talking about their SD music that they had to insert some polka music into the piece by Hopkins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    But we don't know what they picked for polka music?
    No, we don't. But, as others wrote, at their press conference it felt almost like they apologized for sticking polka music in that beautiful waltz. I think it indicates that they don't like their polka music all that much - which, in turn, would mean that they dislike yankee polka much enough to not even bother with finding something that they liked. But maybe it's too convoluted , and maybe they are not even like that. I guess I was being too pessimistic.

vCash
    They were pretty blunt when it was first announced the yankee polka was to be done that they weren't thrilled and didn't think it was interesting for the public to watch a bunch of polkas. I agree with them and am glad to see at least they and D&W are taking a different approach.

I'm sure whatever polka music they picked was chosen to blend well with the Hopkins piece to try to keep as much flow as possible. I suspect it was difficult though or they wouldn't have apologized for doing it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    They said in an interview during HPC when talking about their SD music that they had to insert some polka music into the piece by Hopkins.
    No, they actually said that they had to, unfortunately, insert some polka into the waltz. They never specified music. Now, I agreed with your interpretation (that they were sorry to interrupt the Hopkins' composition with polka), that Kwong hasn't said what music they've selected is a concern, for me.

vCash
    Is what you said different to what I said?

eta..forget it. I think I understand what you are trying to say.

vCash
    Only if you're paranoid (yes, I'm paranoid).

In the first year of the SD, we saw several skaters do Wangos - programs that were tango that didn't quite shift into a waltz rhythm for the GW sequences (Paul/Islam flirted VERY closely with that). The penalties now for timing and the like are considerable, and affect levels, GOEs and PCS. If the music selected doesn't fit the prescribed beat for the polka, they would get hit here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    Yes - I thought that I won't like the polka SDs, but there seems to be more variety and character in them than in those latin SDs. I haven't even encountered identical music choices so far.
    I completely agree with you! SO much variety. I've had much fun watching the SD's that have come out so far. Also delighted to see how many of the polka's have somehow not been gratingly perky...they've found a way !

With regards to our impossibly high, specific, and entitled expectations for our beloved dance team, it certainly represents a deep and complex love for them. I try to think of these extreme expectations as just people's desires for them to do well.

As a poster previously said, it has to be incredibly difficult for any dance team, let alone an elite one (with the skating world chomping at the bits, all looking to them to set bars or precedence or records, or to fail or fall or blunder) to create a piece of universally praised art within the confines of all those rules. I think the choreographers working today are amazing, no matter if their works rock my personal aesthetic criterion. They're amazing that they can navigate all that fine print and still have some enthusiasm or soul left unspoilt, and do what they do.

So freaking excited for the new season.

Chin up y'all. Let's enjoy VM, each other, and have some engaging and fun times!

vCash
    okay, i need help with a post. i'm trying to collect videos of all the carmen FDs or ODs that we have. it was requested on twitter. we know it's been used often, but it'd be great to see the actual dances and when they happened. here's what i have so far:

http://compulsorydances.blogspot.ca/...ice-dance.html
    Last edited by iggie; 09-12-2012 at 03:20 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    okay, i need help with a post. i'm trying to collect videos of all the carmen FDs or ODs that we have a video of. it was requested on twitter. we know it's been used often, but it'd be great to see the actual dances and when they happened. here's what i have so far:

http://compulsorydances.blogspot.ca/...ice-dance.html
    Zadorozhniuk/Verbillo 2008/2009 FD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB-Qd6TIBAo

Usova/Platov (Exhibition) during the 2000/2001 season I believe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rocEyuo35A0

YEAH!
    vCash
    Cool idea! I was about to go to bed, but....

I will include ice dancer exhibitions also (doing this quick... there may be higher quality vids out there):

Rahkamo & Kokko did a more modern version as pros in the 90s which I can't find, but I think it was on fsvids

Usova & Platov

Humphreys & Baranov 02 OD

Winkler & Lohse 2002 OD - Oddly I can't find this. They were at Olys and Worlds, so I don't get it. It's my favorite too!

vCash
    thanks! i incorporated your links and gave you two credit

i'll keep updating the list if anyone else wants to add a dance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by m_chenning View Post

Omg why can't we get to see this....

vCash
    I think there was also a team at the Junior Worlds last year who did Carmen ... but that's rather obscure.

vCash
    That first interview they did with PJ Kwong earlier this summer, Tessa mentions that she collects pennies or is it Scott who collects them? My speakers aren't working too well and I missed half the interview.

vCash
    Tessa collects lucky pennies - she thought at times that Scott would leave them lying around the practice room before competitions, but he apparently didn't, according to the interview.

vCash
    Troll is back
    If you think i didnt watch Carmen after i found V-M will use this music - you are wrong I re-wtached all ice dance Carmens (from competitions and show), because i wish to know, how V-M could look like, what direction they could choose. TAT did some Carmen for shows - Volozinskay-Svinin had very interesting Carmen piece.
    So the same with D-W FD - i try to find ND and see- how this could loo like. Especially i am interesting in Zueva-Shpilband choreo on this music. And Anisina-Peizerat exibition number was very emotional.
    If troll is a person, who never talk bad things about other posters and threads in SS, did made thread title, wich offend other skaters and know something about ice dance past - i am happy to be troll
    Its easy to put on me all D-W ubers disrespect and all hating, wich they show in tread names, signatures ect. But trolls never did things like this
    If you enjoy, what some fans post in SS about you (not just about me) - i am happy for you.

vCash
    Tessa is very superstitious.. interesting fact.. you know, still in 19th century the majority of people believed in all sort of superstitions, bad luck charms, weird remedies for illness and injuries.. you'll find thousands of these things.. just read Mark Twain's novels.. the little superstitions that some have in the modern age are what is left of those times..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    Troll is back
    If you think i didnt watch Carmen after i found V-M will use this music - you are wrong I re-wtached all ice dance Carmens (from competitions and show), because i wish to know, how V-M could look like, what direction they could choose. TAT did some Carmen for shows - Volozinskay-Svinin had very interesting Carmen piece.
    So the same with D-W FD - i try to find ND and see- how this could loo like. Especially i am interesting in Zueva-Shpilband choreo on this music. And Anisina-Peizerat exibition number was very emotional.
    If troll is a person, who never talk bad things about other posters and threads in SS, did made thread title, wich offend other skaters and know something about ice dance past - i am happy to be troll
    Its easy to put on me all D-W ubers disrespect and all hating, wich they show in tread names, signatures ect. But trolls never did things like this
    If you enjoy, what some fans post in SS about you (not just about me) - i am happy for you.
    pani, can you help me find a list of all those carmens? i'm doing a post on it

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    pani, can you help me find a list of all those carmens? i'm doing a post on it
    1977 Moiseeva-Minenkov
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi7i-DafWsM
    1985 - Bestemianova & Bukin (you have this link)
    1990 - Volozhinskaya & Svinin (ex) TAT made choreo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppVJMel4u8A
    Krilova-Ovsiynnikov FD 1998 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSyT-dL4Ndg
    Lang & Tchernyshev 2002 OD
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRiT36l0LVQ
    Winkler-Lose OD 2002, but couldnt find on youtube.
    Sofia SFORZA / Francesco FIORETTI last season
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co_91tZxkVQ

Did you need single skaters list?

Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast