Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    When will the issue about cold medicine/ban substance come to an end? The ISU & the IOC need to find ways to differentiate between taking a cold medicine vs. intentionally taking drugs to improve athletic ability. It very nearly destroyed the career of Elena Berezhnaya (& Sikharulidze).
    Ephedrine is an amphetamine and methamphetamine derivative.

It's a stimulant and it promotes weight loss.

Obviously it's banned by WADA.

The real problem is with the pharmaceutical companies selling shit like this as 'cold medicine' (there is no cure for the common cold) and people being gullible enough to buy it.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 09-08-2012 at 11:07 AM.

vCash
    There's bad blood between Mao and Miki fans? That's kind of refreshing... it's not Mao vs Yuna for once!

Banned Member
    vCash
    I couldn't understand it either. Is Mao actually endorsed by a drug company whose product is banned for performance?

There was that Olympic AA gold medalist, Raducan, who had to give up the gold medal because she tested positive for a ephedra-like derivatives due to a cold. Thing is, these cold medicines have anti-histamines in them usually, which can really affect a performance. I wouldn't want to do beam after taking an anti-histamine.

Other than that, yeah, it might just be sensationalist goss. But it could be worse.
    I will not be ignored! -Me

vCash
    Idk if this thread is either or , but I am wondering why it's not in the trash can yet

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Ephedrine is an amphetamine and methamphetamine derivative.

It's a stimulant and it promotes weight loss.
    It also helps you breathe better, which comes in handy when you have a cold.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I think this thread was supposed to be funny. Miki had a cold. Someone tweeted the name of a cold medicine to her. Since Mao endorses that product, it contains a banned substance, and Mao is Miki's rival, wouldn't it be evil if it were Mao under a pseud who recommended the medicince!!!! I don't think this was meant to be serious.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Actually, both Raducan and Berezhnaya had taken cold remedies with Pseudophedrine, not ephedrine.

Pseudophed is the ingredient found in some over-the-counter cold medicine here and is much milder. The WADA positive test threshold for it is 150 micrograms/mml vs only 10 micrograms for ephedrine.

Under today's WADA code, these products may now be used with a Therapeutic Use Exemption. (Basically, you file paperwork from a doctor with your federation.) Lots of athletes have TUEs on file. Anyone who takes asthma medications has one. Also, this is the same exemption that allowed Slutskaya to compete on steroids.

So, yes, this is totally a tempest in a teapot. If an athlete wanted to take a cold medicine with pseudophed (or even ephedra), they just file the paperwork and take the medicine.
    Last edited by Susan M; 09-11-2012 at 05:17 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    The real problem is with the pharmaceutical companies selling shit like this as 'cold medicine' (there is no cure for the common cold) and people being gullible enough to buy it.
    nope, but many of these products will help with the symptoms of the cold (useful for atheletes) and/or knock you out so you sleep, and giving your body rest is probably the best 'cure' for a cold.

But yeah, I agree that the advertising is doubtful...

The "NICE" Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I think this thread was supposed to be funny. Miki had a cold. Someone tweeted the name of a cold medicine to her. Since Mao endorses that product, it contains a banned substance, and Mao is Miki's rival, wouldn't it be evil if it were Mao under a pseud who recommended the medicince!!!! I don't think this was meant to be serious.
    I think you are correct. It's just a joke (IMO).

BTW, the product is "Stona" by Sato Pharma (glad it didn't name it "Stoner" PML). Mao Asada has been in their ad for a few years.
    http://www.stona.jp/

vCash
    I love this thread!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Someone should have just answered "purple" and left it at that.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12