Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    It takes real courage to move on from something that seems to already be working in order to find something even better! Cudo's to him!!! So excited to see his new programs. (especially Jeff's). Best of luck this season PChiddy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jettasian View Post
    Any idea when we will get a glimpse of his SP and LP? I love his Ex Pro Elegie...so very excited to know that he's reworking that into SP.
    If you're wondering about his full programs, the SP most likely not before Skate Canada and the LP most likely at Japan Open October 5 or 6.

vCash
    If his other quads are good, it'd be interesting to see how he will incorporate the quads into his SP and LP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    My only real fear with him is injuries, not strategy. All these quads are very hard on the body; he just has to make sure he's not attempting quads without all the proper off-ice training/readiness as well as ensuring he doesn't attempt them while tired/sick or otherwise unprepared. That's when accidents happen.
    He seems to be level headed and very strategic in his approach to skating so I think he has a better chance than most to be successful at this.
    Nonetheless, it is not always possible to control when a skater pictures - as Yags and Yunah did at the Olympics, for example. A season can make a huge difference and I worry that Patrick may reach his peak this year, rather than the Olympic year. Or, fall victim to injury in the Olympic season. An injury this year might therefore be a blessing in disguise.

It's almost like I don't want him to win in London to take the pressure off of next season. Walking into Sochi having won last 3 world's will be a nightmare of expectation.
    I feel the same. The pressure will be huge. Much as it was for S/P in 2002, when the commentators had to emphasize over and over again that the competition would be the end of Russia's 40-year dominance in pairs.

With men in Sochi, they will go on and on and on about how history is about to be made as a Canadian man might win Olympic Gold for the first time. There will be a ton of interviews with Chan about how he is ready to win the Gold and has prepared for this moment all his life and so on and so forth. . .

I'd almost prefer him to go in as an underdog.

vCash
    Even losing worlds in 2013 wouldn't necessarily make him an underdog. Maybe losing the GPF in 2013 would be bigger. Even Yuna almost lost to Miki Ando and what if she did. Miki wouldn't have been helped that much because Mao would still have been her number one competitor. The current and reigning Olympic champion competing against him would still create some expectation of maybe being an underdog. And what if her two previous Olympic Champions? Plushenko and Lysacek? He could be the world champion and not be the frontrunner.

2001 Yagudin lost to Plushenko but lots still thought Yagudin for the Olympics so even losing may not take some pressure off. He could always have PR in Canada about him being world champ 2 or 3 times but still going up against possible 2 Olympic champions.

vCash
    So Jeff did choreo for both Chan and Hanyu? No wonder Hanyu's new SP looks so horrendous, he is saving the better one to Chan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    My only real fear with him is injuries, not strategy. All these quads are very hard on the body; he just has to make sure he's not attempting quads without all the proper off-ice training/readiness as well as ensuring he doesn't attempt them while tired/sick or otherwise unprepared. That's when accidents happen.
    Krall had said in an interview that the pressure on the body when one does a quad is like a fridge falling on you! I hope Patrick can pace his training well to suit his body within this 1 1/2 years.

As for Olympics, no one is unbeatable. Very few have the mental fortitude as the likes of Yags, Stojko, Boitano and Plushy. Very few are of that calibre in terms of being always battle ready. Chan will be very well prepared, but every bit as competitively fragile as the rest of the field.
    I don't think Patrick is a lock for gold too, not anyone in fact though I think he stands a good chance to podium based on his current skills. Mental strength is a must in elite sports perhaps more so for figure skating than swimming, athletics etc. A total of 8-10 minutes to display skills alone is a long time. I hope with his past experience in Vancouver and recent two Worlds, he understands himself and his mind better than anyone. Only he, and he alone can deliver in that moment. Browning had said .. the ability to remain calm as the time draws nearer is important.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceIceBaby View Post
    So Jeff did choreo for both Chan and Hanyu? No wonder Hanyu's new SP looks so horrendous, he is saving the better one to Chan.
    Huh? Hanyu's SP looks like the strongest program he's had so far, by far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceIceBaby View Post
    So Jeff did choreo for both Chan and Hanyu? No wonder Hanyu's new SP looks so horrendous,
    Takes two hands to clap...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    With men in Sochi, they will go on and on and on about how history is about to be made as a Canadian man might win Olympic Gold for the first time. There will be a ton of interviews with Chan about how he is ready to win the Gold and has prepared for this moment all his life and so on and so forth. . .

I'd almost prefer him to go in as an underdog.
    Me too. Although I think it would be difficult for him to be an underdog considering he'd have to lose a lot in these next two-ish years, but I think it would take a lot of the pressure off.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flipforsynchro View Post
    Me too. Although I think it would be difficult for him to be an underdog considering he'd have to lose a lot in these next two-ish years, but I think it would take a lot of the pressure off.
    Didn't work so well for Tara Whitten.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mossop View Post
    Takes two hands to clap...
    I'm sure once I figure out what that meant, I'll find it funny.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Didn't work so well for Tara Whitten.
    But it might work for chan

vCash
    Eh, he'd still be going into Sochi as the guy who could realistically bring home Canada's first gold in men's figure skating. The pressure wouldn't change if he lost in London. Indeed, there would be so much more talk about the pressure in that situation, imo. Really, the best thing he can do is win everything from now until Sochi (he can skip next season's WTT, and probably should).

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    The Rach program will be interesting. I'm certain Patrick and Jeff can pull off high brow introspective, emotionally rich music. Patrick's ability to do intricate edge work will really enhance "the program", in addition to just earning points in skating skills.

I'm not so confident about a La Boheme program because the skater and choreographer just don't seem to have enough "flavor" in them. Extroverted jesters are just not that strong from this team.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 09-11-2012 at 05:53 PM.

vCash
    I'm not Chan's biggest fan, but I see no one on the horizon (near or distant) that can come close to beating him at this point unless Chan has a complete melt-down. His skating skills are par excellent, his speed is blazing, footwork to die for, spectacular jumps(usually), but alas, to me his is a case of all skates--no heart. All skill--scant drama. But it makes no difference what I think, the judges love him and they determine the score.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    ... and also 2 new quads (Salchow and flip).
    Honestly, I've had enough of his technical part.
    Whatever music he skates to or whatever new techniques he learns, he looks boring to watch and a lack of his musicality stands out as the technical part improves.

vCash
    I'm a Patrick Chan uber, and I'm very curious about how history will view him (which I think hinges upon Sochi, truth be told).
    Last edited by Proustable; 09-13-2012 at 04:42 AM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I am glad he is using Elegie (gorgeous) but I was secretly hoping for an LP. Not sure what to make of the coaching change yet.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tkaug View Post
    Honestly, I've had enough of his technical part.
    Whatever music he skates to or whatever new techniques he learns, he looks boring to watch and a lack of his musicality stands out as the technical part improves.
    Chan's timing is generally very good. You could say that he lacks style somewhat. He does moves to the music but it all looks a little robotic.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast