Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Patrick Chan embarks on season with new coach, choreographers and two new programs

... and also 2 new quads (Salchow and flip).

Canadian Press article by Lori Ewing: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4524866/
    Chan is coached by modern dance teacher Kathy Johnson, who had been assuming a larger role with the Canadian skating star last season. With Johnson, Chan said he’s able to take on more responsibility for his training.

Chan has also split with longtime choreographer Lori Nichol. His new short program, to music by Rachmaninoff [Elegie in E-flat minor], was choreographed by former world champion Jeff Buttle while David Wilson choreographed his long program, to Italian opera “La Boheme.”

“It was a good change after five years of working with Lori. We left on mutual terms, she’s always there to help me,” Chan said. “But I wanted to do this, and I thought this was the right time going into Sochi. I wanted to know that I could work with other choreographers, that it doesn’t have to be one singular recipe.”
    This Chan interview video includes a snippet from Chan's SP (his Rachmininoff "Elegie" exhibition turned into a SP): http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4525358/

Hamilton Spectator article on Chan by Steve Milton: http://www.thespec.com/sports/articl...his-repertoire
    “Definitely it’s going to be higher,” Chan says of the technical level in Sochi. “Compared to Vancouver, for sure. We’re getting used to the new system and starting to push the envelope, building stamina to add a bit more to it.

“I can see some other skaters doing different quads than toe and Sal.”

And so he wants to be ready. He’ll do the flips and Salchows in practices on the Grand Prix circuit — a big step because judges and other skaters are watching every single move during those sessions, and you need to be confident and prepared with any new element — and, if he’s happy with the consistency, perhaps he’ll include one of the new quads in his free skate in January’s Canadian championships at Mississauga’s Hershey Centre.

And, if it goes well there, he could fire his technical shot across the bow at the world championships in London (that would be the Ontario one) in March.
    Toronto Star article on Chan by Joseph Hall: http://www.thestar.com/sports/figure...with-new-quads
    Chan says he’ll continue to do the bulk of his training in Colorado this year, where he’s close to both the rink and the gym and far away from the culinary temptations of hometown Toronto.

“There are so many options of food in Toronto and it’s not necessarily the healthiest,” he says.

“I don’t have very good discipline for that.”

He also says he experiences a kind of Colorado high that Toronto doesn’t provide him.

“When I’m here it’s much more difficult to get in the rhythm of things, I somehow feel lazier when I’m in Toronto,” he says.

“It’s just a mental (thing). Some things you just can’t explain or control so I’d just rather stay in Colorado as much as I can.”
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-07-2012 at 06:32 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    ... and also 2 new quads (Salchow and flip).

Canadian Press article by Lori Ewing: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4524866/

This Chan interview video includes a snippet from Chan's SP (his Rachmininoff "Elegie" exhibition turned into a SP): http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4525358/

Hamilton Spectator article on Chan by Steve Milton: http://www.thespec.com/sports/articl...his-repertoire

Toronto Star article on Chan by Joseph Hall: http://www.thestar.com/sports/figure...with-new-quads
    Wow - exciting stuff...Good luck team Chan!

vCash
    I think this decision might backfire.

Christy Krall has helped him a lot on the jumps. Without a proper skating coach to oversee things, bad habits might return.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    But actually it was Kathy Johnson who gave him the final key tip to getting the quad, not Krall. It was something to do with using his core more, or bringing his arms in tighter or whatever, but it came from Johnson not Krall, and it was after that that he got the quad.
    Last edited by alilou; 09-08-2012 at 05:03 PM.
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    Oooo, I am excited for the new programs. Not so much for the new coach though.

vCash
    If he does 2 quads in the short and 3 quads in the free, he might be able to get away with not doing a 3axel at all. If he does the quads AND the 3axels he will be very difficult to beat.

vCash
    I like the strategy. You are potentially setting yourself up to fail if you add quads in Olympic season. Need to plan all your tech content the year before to get enough reps in competition to be confident in the OGs.

By adding the 4F he will give himself flexibility in the SP like he has had in the past season. Go for the 4T/3T out of footwork. If you miss the combo then do 3F/3T combo. If you hit it you plan for the footwork/flip as the solo jump, but you just plan for triple or quad based on how practices are going and what the situation demands. All this without messing up program choreo. Great move.

Yes will be interesting to see what comes out if all the quads go in. 3A will almost surely stay in. He needs to keep working it in competition because it will always be in the SP.
    In my mind though he fixed the 3A last season. Up until then he was jumping more inside the circle but his upper body was leaning out a touch. Now his takeoff is more straight out vs curving around which is lining up his upper and lower body nicely and in my mind creating the needed consistency.

This is a lot of tough work on his body. i know he's big on the off-ice training and this is where Kathy will be key...ensuring he trains to keep his body fit and stable for the demands technically. I just hope he stays healthy.

I hope he retains and continues to use a coach. Nice to take control of his training more but coaches serve a real purpose. Always.

vCash
    He already can't be beat (or at least, not often).

The extra quads will make him more unbeatable.

I hope Kathy Johnson can help him with his presentation and musicality. He is a fine skater, and I really hope I can get to where I enjoy watching his skating more.

It is a help that they are controlling his press coverage and preventing the arrogant sounding comments that have damaged his image in the past.

vCash
    I thought there was also a built in advantage to training in Colorado because it is at higher altitude and training there increases an athlete's stamina - is that not true?

vCash
    Well this is either going to be really good or really bad. I have a couple of rule to live by. All rights 1. Never wake a sleeping baby. 2. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

If this goes in the direction he wants, and I hope it does,, he'll be hailed for his genius, courage, and foresight.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Let's see what happens before we second-guess the strategy that Patrick and his team have chosen.

vCash
    Well, he's made some rather significant changes before and it seems they were to his advantage. I have a tendency to trust him and his decision making based on past decisions. Cudos to him for having the courage to move on when he feels the time is ripe.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    When I first read this I kind of panicked about the idea of him not having an actual skating coach.

But now I am thinking that there seems to be an awful lot of thought behind choices from his team including Patrick and his parents. Combine this with Skate Canada's watchful eye and if things start to come unravelled - steps will be taken to remedy the situation. That is what I am hoping.

If his jumps start to fail him - perhaps he plans to go to someone for help instead of a full time coach. I mean - what do his detractors say he is missing? So who is he spending his time with - someone who works on the dancing / performing aspect of his skating - and as a bonus - has been able to use dance knowledge to help him better his jumps~!

vCash
    Patrick seems to be taking the blame for "dumping" his coach (Krall) whereas I understood that she was the one who severed ties because he was beginning to rely more on others rather than just her. In other words, Patrick was hoping to keep her as a coach but as one of an expanded team. She wanted more say in the direction of his skating as primary coach and was unwilling to compromise.

vCash
    The impressions I get based on the interviews with Krall, Patrick and an article from Jo-Ann Schneider-Farris ( http://www.examiner.com/article/can-...-dance-teacher ) are: Patrick feels very comfortable with Kathy and wants to work more closely with her; he still wants to work with Krall but she will play the role of technical coach and not primary coach; Krall is not happy with the new arrangement and decided to resign; Patrick wants to explore a different training strategy compared to the one which Krall has in mind for him. It was an amicable parting and Patrick never fail to mention in interviews that Krall helped him in obtaining his quads.

Quote Originally Posted by skateindreams
    Let's see what happens before we second-guess the strategy that Patrick and his team have chosen.
    I worry for Patrick too but as Skateindreams said, let's see what happens. Just as Accordion has mentioned, surely, Skate Canada will keep a watchful eye.

vCash
    My only real fear with him is injuries, not strategy. All these quads are very hard on the body; he just has to make sure he's not attempting quads without all the proper off-ice training/readiness as well as ensuring he doesn't attempt them while tired/sick or otherwise unprepared. That's when accidents happen.
    He seems to be level headed and very strategic in his approach to skating so I think he has a better chance than most to be successful at this.

Also, I'm sure he'd stop training the new quads if/once he decides his chances of landing in competition just aren't there. I"m sure he'll go through the process this season and then make some final decisions going into next.

As for Olympics, no one is unbeatable. Very few have the mental fortitude as the likes of Yags, Stojko, Boitano and Plushy. Very few are of that calibre in terms of being always battle ready. Chan will be very well prepared, but every bit as competitively fragile as the rest of the field. It's almost like I don't want him to win in London to take the pressure off of next season. Walking into Sochi having won last 3 world's will be a nightmare of expectation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    As for Olympics, no one is unbeatable. Very few have the mental fortitude as the likes of Yags, Stojko, Boitano and Plushy. Very few are of that calibre in terms of being always battle ready. Chan will be very well prepared, but every bit as competitively fragile as the rest of the field. It's almost like I don't want him to win in London to take the pressure off of next season. Walking into Sochi having won last 3 world's will be a nightmare of expectation.
    Agreed, especially compounded with no Canadian male having won Olympic gold. For him to deliver under that pressure would take probably even more mental fortitude than Yuna showed in Vancouver, and that was already extremely impressive.

vCash
    Chan's remarks as to adding more technical difficulty with 4S and 4F reflect that he is working w/ coaching staff in CO that can work with him specifically on these elements.......someone who has technical expertise. Johnson is a dance teacher and probably a confidant for team Chan, not necessarily someone who can provide exacting feedback on those elements. So, with the Krall bridge burned by team Chan, that leaves very few folks in CO to work with Chan on adding those quads. He probably needs access to pole harness and maybe even Dartfish.
    Shipstad and Schulz are the only 2 coaches that I know of who provide that service at that rink. So my best guess is that he is working w/ Shipstad as Schulz works primarily with Damon Allen, Krall and Tom Z students. That must put Shipstad in a pickle, as IIRC, he co-coached many of Krall's students as there is no way Chiddy would be working directly w/ Tom Z on those quads, ;-)

vCash
    Or, better yet, he's learning those new quads thru osmosis, watching Tom Z's students.........Mroz and Aaron. ;-)

vCash
    Any idea when we will get a glimpse of his SP and LP? I love his Ex Pro Elegie...so very excited to know that he's reworking that into SP.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast