Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    To the initial poster - are you serious?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeLurker View Post
    I always wished that Rena would have teamed up with Aaron Parchem. Oh well....

That would have been a good pairing too!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    To the initial poster - are you serious?
    yeah, why not? As I wrote earlier, it couldn't be any worse than what the US has competing now. Put the two together and we might actually get a consistent team. Why does everyone on here have to be so negative all the time!? People are great at bringing out the worst in people on here. Too back I let myself get sucked into it. Geez!

vCash
    This would be a not-bad fantasy pair. Like Inoue Baldwin still almost made the team in 2010 and Inoue might still be good. They were only .60 points back from Evora and Ladwig. It was really close. But maybe Ladwig will be good with his new partner and be superior to Denney/Coughlin. Hopefully Yankowskas partner will be strong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tplaxl View Post
    yeah, why not? As I wrote earlier, it couldn't be any worse than what the US has competing now. Put the two together and we might actually get a consistent team. Why does everyone on here have to be so negative all the time!? People are great at bringing out the worst in people on here. Too back I let myself get sucked into it. Geez!
    Well if you post something that is really beyond the realms of possibility what do you expect?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    recent clip I found of Jenifer Don and Themi Lefterhis when people were floating pair girl names around for Rockne.

I think Jenifer and Themi look really good together, and this video was shot earlier this year!!

Jenifer is really someone that disappeared for awhile, I remember her being a very charismatic skater and a strong jumper in pairs.

Interesting comment from Themi at 3:15 about him and Jenifer having Olympic aspirations...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qPWQAuYjiA

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Maybe US Skating could coax the Protopopovs out of retirement.

Main Offender
    cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    I suppose you haven't been following pairs for the last...uhm...5 years?
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

vCash
    You are being delusional.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moka-Ananas View Post
    I suppose you haven't been following pairs for the last...uhm...5 years?
    uhm, yeah I have, hence the posts.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    You are being delusional.
    and you're being a jerk.

vCash
    Well if you post something that is really beyond the realms of possibility what do you expect?
    entitled to an opinion, as are you, but people don't need to get crazy. Hopefully skaters do avoid reading these since people seem hell bent on knocking them all the time.

vCash
    entitled to an opinion, as are you, but people don't need to get crazy. Hopefully skaters do avoid reading these since people seem hell bent on knocking them all the time.
    Actually people are not knocking the skaters down - they are knocking you down for starting what appears to be quite a ridiculous thread.

vCash
    Actually people are not knocking the skaters down - they are knocking you down for starting what appears to be quite a ridiculous thread.
    Is that so? I could swear that I see the words "sub par" "ship has sailed " in posts that are not exactly flattering comments. Who the heck are you people to say what someone is or isn't capable of at their ages? Just a question.....

Thank you all for being the authority of deciding when someone is finished! So thoughtful and kind of you.

vCash
    Is that so? I could swear that I see the words "sub par" "ship has sailed " in posts that are not exactly flattering comments. Who the heck are you people to say what someone is or isn't capable of at their ages? Just a question.....

Thank you all for being the authority of deciding when someone is finished! So thoughtful and kind of you.
    Oh and thank you for being such an authority on delusional pair partnerships. You have provided us with so much entertainment.

vCash
    Oh and thank you for being such an authority on delusional pair partnerships. You have provided us with so much entertainment.
    You're very welcome. That's half the fun.

vCash
    Come on, it's not as if the U.S. does not have some promising young pairs teams, along with new pairings that have the potential to place well. Some of the problems historically have been that it has seemed difficult for U.S. pairs to stay together and grow together for the long haul (e.g., like Tai and Randy were able to do in a different era).

Another problem, IMO, is that U.S. pairs are often rated below other pairs teams internationally when they are actually on a par with or perform better than those other pairs during international events. Case in point: the fantastic way Evora/ Ladwig skated at the 2010 Olympics but still were placed below Canadian pairs who DID NOT perform well. Currently, I do think the top Canadian pairs are a bit better than our U.S. pairs, at least for the moment.

In any case, even when Tai and Randy were competing, they were often rated behind second and third place Russian pairs teams -- and I think Tai and Randy were much better than the lower ranked Russians, which eventually was recognized by the international judges. The U.S. traditionally does not have a long history of excellence in the pairs discipline, however the same was true in ice dance, but fortunately that has changed. I think it can change for U.S. pairs as well, with hard work, greater effort, better coaching and attention to detail, as well as sticking together.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Come on, it's not as if the U.S. does not have some promising young pairs teams, along with new pairings that have the potential to place well. Some of the problems historically have been that it has seemed difficult for U.S. pairs to stay together and grow together for the long haul (e.g., like Tai and Randy were able to do in a different era).

Another problem, IMO, is that U.S. pairs are often rated below other pairs teams internationally when they are actually on a par with or perform better than those other pairs during international events. Case in point: the fantastic way Evora/ Ladwig skated at the 2010 Olympics but still were placed below Canadian pairs who DID NOT perform well. Currently, I do think the top Canadian pairs are a bit better than our U.S. pairs, at least for the moment.

In any case, even when Tai and Randy were competing, they were often rated behind second and third place Russian pairs teams -- and I think Tai and Randy were much better than the lower ranked Russians, which eventually was recognized by the international judges. The U.S. traditionally does not have a long history of excellence in the pairs discipline, however the same was true in ice dance, but fortunately that has changed. I think it can change for U.S. pairs as well, with hard work, greater effort, better coaching and attention to detail, as well as sticking together.
    I can agree with that to a point. The last time we had 3 teams at Worlds was I think 1997?

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    I can agree with that to a point. The last time we had 3 teams at Worlds was I think 1997?
    With the combined placings of Ina / Zimmermann and Scott / Dulebohn at Worlds in Nagano in 2002, I believe the US had three pairs competing in Washington DC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    With the combined placings of Ina / Zimmermann and Scott / Dulebohn at Worlds in Nagano in 2002, I believe the US had three pairs competing in Washington DC.
    You are correct. I looked it up and we had 3 spots at the 2003 World Championships, where we lost the additional spot during after that championship. We had I/B, S/D, and O/L representing us finishing 9, 10, and 16th.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast