Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    I'm finally reading "Life of Pi". I don't read books while they're being hyped, but I'm about 1/4 of the way in, and wow, has it already got me thinking....reevaluating things I thought I thought. I'm very pro-animals (vegetarian, anti-animal testing) and previously very anti-caged zoos....just the first couple of chapters really had me thinking... Plus, I'm a liberal, very devout but non-church going Christian...who is fascinated in other religions and others' faiths.
    I hope that feeling carries with you for the full book. I really loved the first 4/5 or so of the book, had a lot of the same feelings about it as you ... but hated, hated, hated the ending. So much so that I spoiled my enjoyment of everything that came before it. I know a lot of people found the ending profound, but for me it was just manipulative.

I have had wondered if I gave it a raw deal though. Since the movie is coming out soon, I might re-read the book afterward. But then again ... I might not. Esp. since I had pretty much the same reaction to his more recent book, Beatrice and Virgil.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Unlike my beloved Reacher that Lee Child seems determined to keep in the dark. I have the new book up next in line on Nook. Of course, Tom Cruise is going to totally alter my perceptions of Reacher. I'm thinking I'll just have to skip that movie.
    I was searching for a book for a friend's birthday and picked up 61 Hours thinking it looked interesting, ended up keeping it myself and since then have spent lots of time going through the previous Reacher books. I've just finished reading 61 Hours for the second time and had to laugh at the part where the description of Reacher reads 'he was 6 feet 5 inches and weighed 240 pounds' after seeing a trailer for the Cruise film I think the part has been hopelessly mis-cast

INTJ
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    I'm finally reading "Life of Pi". I don't read books while they're being hyped, but I'm about 1/4 of the way in, and wow, has it already got me thinking....reevaluating things I thought I thought. I'm very pro-animals (vegetarian, anti-animal testing) and previously very anti-caged zoos....just the first couple of chapters really had me thinking... Plus, I'm a liberal, very devout but non-church going Christian...who is fascinated in other religions and others' faiths.

Finishing this book is on my "34 Things I Want to Do Before I Turn 34" and I've a feeling I will read it several times before then. I knew nothing about it, except that every I know who has read it, loved it. The other book on my list is "Angela's Ashes".
    I had a very similar reaction to "Life of Pi". I didn't mind the ending Angela's Ashes made me I'm not a crier but my goodness did I need the tissues. Having said that, I'm really glad I read it and promptly read his other two books after that.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Was it this one?
    Yes, GKelly and Prancer, I remember that picture, thanks, saw it on Amazon before you linked, they had it for $.01 from that seller in Indiana, plus shipping.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    my eyes have been bothering me so i'm specializing in books with large pictures right now. i'm reading whiting and davis: the perfect mesh about the whiting and davis handbags. it's a better read than i anticipated. i was just hoping to look at the photos which are great.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I hope that feeling carries with you for the full book. I really loved the first 4/5 or so of the book, had a lot of the same feelings about it as you ... but hated, hated, hated the ending. So much so that I spoiled my enjoyment of everything that came before it. I know a lot of people found the ending profound, but for me it was just manipulative.

I have had wondered if I gave it a raw deal though. Since the movie is coming out soon, I might re-read the book afterward. But then again ... I might not. Esp. since I had pretty much the same reaction to his more recent book, Beatrice and Virgil.
    Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    I had a very similar reaction to "Life of Pi". I didn't mind the ending Angela's Ashes made me I'm not a crier but my goodness did I need the tissues. Having said that, I'm really glad I read it and promptly read his other two books after that.
    I've never read anything from either author. So many people have commented about the ending to me, that I really want to get there just so I can form an opinion!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    my eyes have been bothering me so i'm specializing in books with large pictures right now. i'm reading whiting and davis: the perfect mesh about the whiting and davis handbags. it's a better read than i anticipated. i was just hoping to look at the photos which are great.
    The Neiman Marcus catalog is a visual and literary masterpiece as well.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i'd be better off if someone stole my wallet
    i cant control myself
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

((Swedish skating dudes))
    vCash
    Finished Winter's Heart over the weekend, and sort of started reading Crossroads of Twilight, which, along with Winter's Heart, is the draggiest if my memory serves. I do remember the last Jordan book picking up the pace a bit, and I bought the first two Jordan/Sanderson books today as incentive to keep at it. The problem with rereading looong series of seriously thick books is that it takes forever. I thought I'd get through them at a good clip, but I'm still averaging only 2 of them per month. Of course, I've been reading other books on the side.

I'm considering hunting down Cloud Atlas, because Mr Evilynn wants to see the movie, and I want to read the book first.

vCash
    Just finished Bel Canto yesterday. Between this and State of Wonder earlier in the year, I realized that I like Ann Patchett's storytelling, but not particularly her use of language.

Next up are The Expats, We Need to Talk About Kevin, and Seating Arrangements.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    I'm reading Elaine Viets' "Pumped for Murder" the latest in her Dead-End Jobs series of "light" mysteries. It's not quite a cozy but there's not a lot of blood and gore. Helen, now married to Phil and starting a private dective agency with him, takes a job working as a receptionist at a gym to investigate a clietnt's husband and ends up in the middle of a drug-scandal, a murder and a 25-year-old suicide case that isn't a clear-cut as public records claim. There's also a brief ressurection of Helen's past issues with her sister that interrupts the proceedings and seems thrown in merely to put strife into Helen's idyllic marriage, but otherwise, it's a pretty convoluted tale that's keeping me turning the pages.

I bought a half-dozen historical romances (for a quarter each) at a yard sale on Saturday so I may be submerging my brain in tea and crinoline shortly.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Oh, Prancer. I can't wait till you get the new Reacher. There will be much And it is relevant to the story. Let's just say Lee fills multiple pages with I'll say no more until others have a chance to read. I just kept saying out loud, "but if......then why not...."
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Reading Midnight Riot slowly as I am also researching. It is very entertaining. Thanks for the recommendation here--I believe it was rfisher???

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Has anyone read any TC Boyle? I don't know the author at all, but his new book San Miguel sounds interesting.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingsit View Post
    Next up are The Expats, We Need to Talk About Kevin, and Seating Arrangements.
    I will be interested in knowing what you think about We Need To Talk About Kevin. I don't think I have ever loathed a book more than that one.

Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I bought a half-dozen historical romances (for a quarter each) at a yard sale on Saturday so I may be submerging my brain in tea and crinoline shortly.
    Let me know if you find something good. I need some brain candy.

Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Oh, Prancer. I can't wait till you get the new Reacher. There will be much And it is relevant to the story. Let's just say Lee fills multiple pages with I'll say no more until others have a chance to read. I just kept saying out loud, "but if......then why not...."
    Gee, I can hardly wait. But no matter how bad it is, I can remind myself that at least I haven't paid for it

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Has anyone read any TC Boyle? I don't know the author at all, but his new book San Miguel sounds interesting.
    I have, but never a full-length novel. I will never forget his short story "The Descent of Man." I read it years ago and it still pops into my head every now and then. What does it mean?

I think he's interesting; not necessarily enjoyable, but interesting.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    What is it about Life of Pi's ending that people don't like (under spoiler bars, of course)? I have no interest in reading it but I'm curious about why the ending is so controversial. I tried to skim the end in the store but couldn't figure it out without the larger context of actually having read the book!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I will be interested in knowing what you think about We Need To Talk About Kevin. I don't think I have ever loathed a book more than that one.
    I loathed it, too. It's possible that I've loathed a book more, but improbable. Unfortunately, a mentor recommended and lent it to me so I had to finish it. To be fair, that was also long before I realized that no, I'm not actually obligated to finish a book I dislike.

I quite like Tilda Swinton, but not enough to watch the movie.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I'm always amused at people who feel obligated to finish a book they don't like. The book police are not going to sweep down and arrest you. If I don't like it past the first chapter, out it goes. Too many other books out there to waste time on ones I don't like. I didn't even bother when I was in college. You can pretty much always get the info you needed for the class if you know how to skim.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    I'm interested in opinions anyone might have about Ursula K. LeGuin's Left Hand of Darkness. I am about to start it, in part because a friend just read it for a class, and I can't discuss it with her until I read it. My friend HATED it and cannot understand why in the world it got the Hugo and the Nebula.

Whether you liked it or disliked it, I would like to know why. Thanks in advance for any replies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    I'm interested in opinions anyone might have about Ursula K. LeGuin's Left Hand of Darkness.
    I loved it when I read it in high school, but I'd have to refresh my memory before I could say anything intelligent about it now.

Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast