Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152
Results 1,021 to 1,025 of 1025

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    ETA - BB - I'd love to hear your opinion of The Snow Child when you're done.
    I just finished reading The Snow Child and I absolutely loved it. It took me about a week to read but honestly, I only sat down and devoted about 3 days to reading. I was hooked. The descriptions were so raw and powerful, it was so easy to become completely trapped in the book. I felt some of the major plot lines were rushed into so that would be the only disappointing thing about the book, for me. Did you read it or just were curious?

Next up: The True Story of Hansel and Gretel.

I went into Barnes and Noble today to get the Amanda Knox book but it was no where to be found even though the computer system said it should be there. I stood at the Customer Service desk for a good 5 minutes and never saw a single person so I finally had to leave empty handed. No wonder people shop online for books. I want to support actual book stores (even if it is a large chain) but from now on I am sticking to buying online.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I just finished reading The Snow Child and I absolutely loved it. It took me about a week to read but honestly, I only sat down and devoted about 3 days to reading. I was hooked. The descriptions were so raw and powerful, it was so easy to become completely trapped in the book. I felt some of the major plot lines were rushed into so that would be the only disappointing thing about the book, for me.
    Thanks for the review, Brian. The Snow Child is next on my list if I ever finish Moby Dick.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    I'm back on my Regency mystery ride, having finished Kate Ross' second Julian Kestrel case, "A Broken Vessel" over the weekend. It had enough twists and turns to the plot to keep me guessing the whole way through but the high point was the character of Sally, the whore with the heart of gold who risks her life to help Julian find the murderer. It was because of her that I plunged straight into #3 "Whom The Gods Love" - I was hoping to get a mention of her fate but there's been no mention of her in the first couple chapters. This one's about the murder of a popular, rich, handsome, kissed-by-the-angels aristocrat whose father asks Julian investigate because he can get answers from people who won't talk to Bow Street. As always, nothing is what seems and Julian's curiosity demands that he find the truth. My only quibble with books is that I don't get the Regency feel from them; sometimes it seems more like a Victorian setting but maybe since this one takes place in higher social circles than the last two, the Regency aura may come through.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I'm a bit more than halfway through Garnethill now, and, while the story has picked up and the main character is fascinating in that she's not very smart and yet kind of is, and she keeps doing pretty much the opposite of what a person under police scrutiny should do, I am very distracted by the constant drinking of tea, and descriptions of the tea (I have an inexplicable, visceral, negative reaction to the phrase "cup of tea", especially when said tea is described as weak, soothing, milky, calming, or worst of all: peppermint. Thankfully there is no peppermint tea in this book or I'd have to stop ), and the fact that the word "greasy" is used to describe about half of the items, rooms, water and/or air described.

The tea is understandable - the book takes place in Scotland, and for better or worse, they drink a lot of tea (shudder). I can't decide yet whether the greasy descriptor is a deliberate choice or author laziness. But I am pretty sure I'm going to go back after I'm finished with the book and highlight all the mentions of both of these things because it's somewhat amusing now.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    We're over 1000 posts. Time for a new thread? New title? How about Read Ink - as in past tense (Red Ink).

Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152