Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4149505152 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1025
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Barnes and Noble is trying another way to get Nook owners in the store: Buy 1 NOOK Book, Get a NOOK Book FREE but only in stores.

B&N is less than a mile away from me and I stop in there often anyway, but I don't know that this would make me go out of my way for it. I may have to get Kristi Yamaguchi's book just because, though .
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I may have to get Kristi Yamaguchi's book just because, though .
    I bought Brian Boitano's new cookbook

vCash
    Has anybody read the Amanda Knox book?
    pug lover

vCash
    I just finished I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga. Really excellent characterization, good storyline, but I thought the author copped out at the end. Or, with my luck, he's setting it up to be a series.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I bought Brian Boitano's new cookbook
    And what do you think?

I am having fun with The Annotated Persuasion although I find some of the notes superfluous. And surprise, surprise, The Annotated Northanger Abbey is coming out in September! I pre-ordered my copy.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I got my books in yesterday! I have The Snow Child, The Thirteenth Tale and The True Story of Hansel and Gretel. All suggestions by our very own Nathan!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by puglover View Post
    Has anybody read the Amanda Knox book?
    Grrrr! I was in Barnes and Noble today and totally forgot to look for it. I would have gotten it if they had it displayed somewhere but if they did I missed it.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Finished "The Supremes at Earl's All You Can Eat" last night. Loved! Lots of moments. For a first book by a man, he did an amazing job with his 3 female leads. They're all different, but I love a good female friendship novel. I normally don't like first person books, but this one hooked me from the opening. It's on my list to buy.

Today I'll either start "Ordinary Grace" or try to get through "The Book of Lost Fragrances" again...

ETA - BB - I'd love to hear your opinion of The Snow Child when you're done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Apologies.

Here's the yahoo list:

1. The Corrections : Jonathan Franzen (2001)

2. The Human Stain : Philip Roth (2000)

3. The Road : Cormac McCarthy (2006)

4. White Teeth : Zadie Smith (2000)

5. True History of the Kelly Gang : Peter Carey (2000)

6. 2666 : Roberto Bolaño (2008)

7. Tree of Smoke : Denis Johnson (2007)

8. Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned : Wells Tower (2009)

9. Fortress of Solitude : Jonathan Lethem (2003)

10. Pastoralia : George Saunders (2000)

dinakt, check out Zadie Smith's On Beauty. Really great book.
    Thank you, I will.
    Of the ones I have not heard about, the "True History of the Kelly Gang" looks very much like something I might enjoy. History, outlaws, Australia and well- written. I will definitely give it a try this summer.
    improving my ballad- like lines

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    And what do you think?
    It's actually pretty good. I'm a cookbook collector, so naturally I had to get one by a figure skater

I haven't cooked anything yet, but the recipes are pretty standard Food Network fare, the kind of stuff you might see on Giada's shows (no surprise they got her to put her name on the intro). I like recipes that come with stories and comments on how to serve them etc, and Brian comes through in a big way with every recipe, and the overall production value of the book is quite good - photography, layout, writing etc.

For skating fans, there's a ton of name dropping and pictures - including one of Dick Button licking his plate I've never been a huge Brian fan, just neutral on his skating, but in this book he comes across as a genuine and nice person who really does like cooking for his friends and family. The skating stuff isn't braggy at all - just real.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Finished Cheryl Strayed's "Wild" last night - loved it! Great memoir, great story, great writing. Now I wanna ditch it all and go walk the PCT! Even though, unprepared as she was for the actual hike, her upbringing made her far more ready for that sort of thing than the average Josephine, so other amateurs like me shouldn't get super fancy ideas...

I do wonder if the PCT saw a serious uptick in solo female hikers last summer (and will this summer). Last summer I met a woman who did a similar solo thru-hike on the Appalachian Trail about 5 years ago - just up and quit her job and took off with her dog for the summer. I hadn't really understood what thru-hiking was until I read this book, though.

I've got two books queued up, but I might need to wait a day or two before starting to absorb the last one.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    For skating fans, there's a ton of name dropping and pictures - including one of Dick Button licking his plate
    Now I definitely have to get it!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I've got two books queued up, but I might need to wait a day or two before starting to absorb the last one.
    That's called a "book hangover."

vCash
    This morning I started My Cousin Rachel. I wasn't drawn in right away like I was with Rebecca, but I'm intrigued to see where Du Maurier is going with this.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    So I have been exploring my New! Improved! Nook HD+, now with all things Android, and it occurred to me that I could probably download the Kindle app and read Amazon books on my Barnes and Noble device. And I can.

This strikes me as very strange. I do like having all the apps, though.

I assume this is B&N's way of moving the Nook more toward being a pure tablet and not quite so much a B&N product?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    So I have been exploring my New! Improved! Nook HD+, now with all things Android, and it occurred to me that I could probably download the Kindle app and read Amazon books on my Barnes and Noble device. And I can.

This strikes me as very strange. I do like having all the apps, though.

I assume this is B&N's way of moving the Nook more toward being a pure tablet and not quite so much a B&N product?
    I've been wondering about this too. It definitely makes the Nook a more attractive product and addresses the main complaint about it. Still, I wonder if this can make it more competitive with the Kindle? I read rumors not too long ago that Nook might become a separate entity from B&N. Is this a first step towards that (if true)?
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    I've been wondering about this too. It definitely makes the Nook a more attractive product and addresses the main complaint about it. Still, I wonder if this can make it more competitive with the Kindle? I read rumors not too long ago that Nook might become a separate entity from B&N. Is this a first step towards that (if true)?
    I read the same rumor and have, in fact, told people who were afraid to buy the Nook because of B&N's shaky financial status that the Nook will likely survive if B&N goes under. I still think that is true, given all the money that has been invested in the Nook and not in B&N generally, from outside firms.

But I have also read that B&N is not planning to split the Nook off on its own and has taken steps to ensure that it will not happen because B&N sees the future of the bookstores as being dependent on the Nook.

Dunno; but it's interesting. And it sure is much nicer to play games and use apps on the tablet than it is on a phone. I really like Chrome as a tablet browser, too.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Finished Echo Burning (Jack Reacher #5) last night and am now very curious as to why many fans apparently consider it the worst of the first 10. I quite enjoyed it

It was a little at the end, but overall I thought

Spoiler

vCash
    Finished "Six Years" by Harlen Coban last night. It sucked. Implausible plot made zero sense. Plot holes you could drive a semi through.

The cliches were stale in the 80's and age has not improved them. I think I was 4 pages in when I read the line "gag me with a spoon". I should have stopped there.

vCash
    Double posting, but it's a day later.

Now about 40 pages into "The Vatican Diaries". Written by a journalist who covered the Vatican for years. I'm thinking right now he wishes he'd waited a few months until Benny retired. Very interesting read so far.

Amazon's Kindle dd today has James Rollins Subterranean - no brainer to buy it, he's my favorite author (when he's not teamed up with vampire chick)... Also bought the Muirwood books on the sci-fi deal.

Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4149505152 LastLast