Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1025
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Because no one in the US has every heard of a 5K run or heard someone say they make 100K a year.
    I was so annoyed when I was reading it that I started yelling at the book.

And the Hendrix thing? I look forward to that passage too - my husband is a collector of Hendrix music, and he'll be able to fact check if it's even possible given the wide breadth of recordings that have been issued, reissued and repackaged over the past 40 years - I'll get back to you
    I don't remember which one it was, but there was a lot of talk about how it had to be a specific album, one of the original issues--and they found it at the used record store, which also made me . Seriously, what are the odds that you go to one used record store and find exactly the collectible album you are looking for?

It was all a setup for a joke, but it took pages and pages to get there and then the joke wasn't very good. They could have just Googled the image and spared me the gnashing of teeth.

In this most recent book, someone goes to buy a can of paint - they choose a colour, then the clerk hands it to them, they pay and leave. Um, has Child ever bought paint before?
    Child is very successful and sometimes it shows. Here his character is running around the country with nothing but a toothbrush and the clothes on his back and sometimes it is glaringly obvious that Child has people who take care of things for him.

Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    One question, though: do any of his "romances" last more than one book?
    I can't think of any, although there are women from his past who occasionally turn up in his present.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I read this and it was decent. The jumps between past and present were jarring but the plot was fast-paced. I did learn way more about the cut-throat perfume business than I will ever need to know. IIt's also part of a series but I can't say I'm tempted to find the first three volumes at the moment.
    Another series? I just finished a book on Cleopatra (not recommended) and they talked a lot about her perfumes. So, that was my starting point of 'sniffing' around this one (groan).

Can I say that I'm glad I'm not the only one who talks back to crappy plot points?

vCash
    Just Send Me Word - Orlando Figes
    I discovered this book while browsing through the bookstore and it sounds fascinating and hope to read it soon. This is not a novel but the telling of a true life love story between a prisoner of Stalin's gulags and his lady love. Lev and Sveta was first separated by WW2, when he was taken prisoner, and then by his 10 year sentence upon returning home. Their story is told through the hundreds of letters they exchanged during this time.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012...o-figes-review

vCash
    To be fair to Child, he's about my age and I remember being able to walk into a paint store and pick a can of paint off the shelf already mixed, pay and walk out. Of course, there weren't a bazillion colors, shades and tints to choose from; if would wanted something different, you added white - or mixed two colors together. Some very high-end paint supply stores would be able to tint existing colors but it was super-expensive and you had to take whatever color the paint guy came up with. So that detail wouldn't strike me as odd but a listing of the colors they looked at or all the sizes of paint brushes and rollers would drive me up the unpainted wall.

I'm finishing up Book 4 of Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series, "City of Fallen Angels." Teenaged angst glorified, all of the major characters are suffering great internal stresses and the adult figures areeither self-aborbed or totally evil. But the plot has had enough twists to keep me reading and I keep thinking about how much my godchild would have enjoyed the series back when they were young. I'll pick up Book 5 "City of Lost Souls" the next time I'm in Walmart.

In audio, I now have Dianne Day's fourth Fremont Jones historical mystery "Emperor Norton's Ghost" just starting in the car. Day has a knack for scene-setting - it opens with a seance in post-Great Earthquake and Fire San Francisco and even though it was broad daylight on a busy highway, I was still feeling a little creeped out by the medium as I listened.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    In this most recent book, someone goes to buy a can of paint - they choose a colour, then the clerk hands it to them, they pay and leave. Um, has Child ever bought paint before?
    Off-topic, stupid question here (because I never have bought paint ) - how does it normally work?

vCash
    Now, you walk into Home Depot or Lowes or Walmart or a paint store, look at a gazillon paint chips on a dozen racks, select the color you want, pick up a can of base (white) paint and hand it and the chip to the clerk. The clerk programs the color percentages into a computer, sets the can on the machine and pushes a button and, presto!, the computer squirts the pigments into the base and mixes up your exact color then and there, in whatever finish you want: gloss, semi-gloss, satin or flat. It takes maybe ten minutes.

Some places have scanners that can mix up paint to match fabric or paper or anything the customer brings in. Also, if you run out of paint, the clerk can mix up more and it's supposed to be an exact match (although I've heard lots of horror stories about that issue). No more walls of shelves of different colors of pre-mixed paint cans. Walmart has some but not many and mostly white.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Off-topic, stupid question here (because I never have bought paint ) - how does it normally work?
    As zaphyre said, you can buy pre-mixed cans in stock colours, but the selection will be very limited. In the book, the customer reviewed a chart with many colours and picked a particular shade after discussing it with the clerk, and then paid and walked out the door. Normally, the clerk would have to mix the colour - choose the appropriate base colour, open it up and add the tints based on a formula chart, close up the can and attach it to a mixing machine for a few minutes. Then he'd bring it to the customer.

Given the attention Child normally pays to mundane details, he either should have included the whole process (and the way the passage was written, there was no opportunity for the extra step to happen "off camera") or he should have had the clerk say "that's one of our base colours, so here you go."

I know it's picky, but it's one of those things that irks you only when you've noticed similar mistakes - like continuity issues in movies.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    zaphyre and I clearly have a future in the retail industry!

vCash
    Thanks zaphyre and Jenny for the explanations, good to know in advance in case I ever have to paint (which I don't expect to be anytime soon since my place was painted just before I moved in).

I know it's picky, but it's one of those things that irks you only when you've noticed similar mistakes - like continuity issues in movies.
    I get irked by those kind of things too, so I can totally understand!

vCash
    Behind the Beautiful Forevers is really good. I'm about half way through. A tough read, but the characters are very well drawn.

On the 'ebook' side, I've declined my last two 're-read' holds. One was a Harry Potter book, and the other was one of my favorite young adult books "Island of the Blue Dolphins". I will happily admit to faking a stomach bug in elementary school so I could stay up late one night to watch the movie (which wasn't good).

vCash
    I'm going for lighter fare with Joyce and Jim Levine's "Harrowing Hats" Rennaissance Fair mystery. I really wish there was a theme park like this one somewhere. It sounds like a blast, although I could do without all the dead bodies that keep turning up.

Just me
    vCash
    Lorraine Heath's final book of the Lost Lords of Pembrook trilogy became available on April 30th and I finished it last night. If you loved the first two, you will love this one just as much.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    I am really amazed, (and jealous), of how many of you seem to be able to get through your books in just a few days! I started "The Golem and the Jinni" on April 20th, and I am still just a little over halfway through it. I used to read 2-3 books a week, but now it often takes 2-3 weeks just to find the time to get through one!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quartz View Post
    I am really amazed, (and jealous), of how many of you seem to be able to get through your books in just a few days! I started "The Golem and the Jinni" on April 20th, and I am still just a little over halfway through it. I used to read 2-3 books a week, but now it often takes 2-3 weeks just to find the time to get through one!
    I usually finish my books the day I start them or at most a day later - but I've been going 2-3 weeks between books because I've been having a hard time finding books that appeal to me I hate reading slumps.

IceAlisa, I saw your rec from a few days ago, but detective fiction isn't really my thing... thanks, though!

vCash
    I read every night for 20-30 minutes before my eyes close. I also read at lunch and dinner while I eat and whenever I let my dog out in the yard for potty breaks since I need to keep an ear open for his let-me-now whine. On Saturday and Sunday mornings, if I don't need to leap out of bed to be somewhere, I read with my cup of tea and the dog sprawled over my legs. I carry a book in my bag for waiting in lines or doctors' offices. And I have the audio books in the car which adds up to a minimum of an hour a day "reading" on my commute. I have also learned to have a book open while I watch TV so I can read during commercials.

And it's not like I'm reading great literature here. I have a biography of Leonardo Da Vinci that's been in my bathroom "library" for a couple months and will probably be there for at least a couple more. I don't spend a lot of time reading there.

vCash
    I just can't read in 15-20 minute segments. If I don't have a good 2 hour block of uninterrupted time, I don't read.
    Of course having 2 jobs, a family, and an old fixer-upper house sorta gets in the way too!

vCash
    Well, I don't generally have 2 hours of ininterrupted time ever - and if I do, I have a list of tasks that need to be done. You asked how people go through books so fast. That's how I do it.

vCash
    I wish I could read in smaller segments, but it just doesn't work for me......boooooo.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I usually finish my books the day I start them or at most a day later - but I've been going 2-3 weeks between books because I've been having a hard time finding books that appeal to me I hate reading slumps.
    I'm the same re starting and finishing the book within a day or two, at least for a really good book. If it sucks, I'll take longer to finish, but if it's good, I just can't put it down and can't wait to finish it. It's one of the reasons I go through phases with reading and have to take breaks, as when I'm reading a good book, I get very little else done, so I need to make sure when I start it that I'll have time to finish it. Although knowing this hasn't stopped me from stupidly starting a book when I don't have time and end up staying up way too late to finish it and/or abandoning things that I really do need to be doing. It's a good thing I read quickly or the problem could be a lot worse.

vCash
    Just finished Behind the Beautiful Forevers. Seems that the 'beautiful forevers' are long lasting tiles that the people in the slum shacks covet. I had NO idea that this was non fiction. Thought there was no way that these things happen in real life. I'm really sheltered. Or ignorant. It's going to haunt me.

Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast