Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

vCash
    This morning I began Rumour of Heaven by Beatrix Lehmann, sister of novelist Rosamond Lehmann. Chapter 1 was meant to be a prologue, although it could have been developed into a full- length novel. I rather wish it had been - famous young Victorian ballerina marries promising, well-off literary critic, retires after a few years of glory, starts having children and losing her mind. But the focus of the novel is on the children, so I'm curious to see where Lehmann goes with this. Her prose style lacks the often lush, dreamy beauty of sister Rosamond's, but when she wrote the novel (1934) Bearrix had already established herself as an actress on the London stage, so I'm hoping for good characterization and a strong dramatic plot to compensate.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Just me
    vCash
    Barnes & Noble just sent me an alert on Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff. Has anyone read this? Also, forgive my ignorance, but what is "steampunk?" I looked it up, but the definition I found doesn't seem to fit the book's blurb.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    It's science fiction during the Victorian era, originally. It has been migrating to other settings and time periods, though. Instead of technology based on computers and electricity, the technology is based on steam power. There are variations like clockpunk. Hugo Cabret is clockpunk, I think.

ETA: I just read the description of Stormdancer and it does sound like it could be a Japanese version of steampunk. I think I might have to check it out.

Totally random but I googled steampunk and found this on etsy.

http://www.etsy.com/search?q=steampunk
    Last edited by galaxygirl; 09-21-2012 at 04:03 PM.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

Just me
    vCash
    Thanks, galaxygirl.

I found this at the link you posted:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/10817717...w_type=gallery

and bought it!

I think I'll get the book, too.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    Thanks, galaxygirl.

I found this at the link you posted:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/10817717...w_type=gallery

and bought it!

I think I'll get the book, too.
    That pendant is gorgeous!!!

I don't wear jewelry but I love this necklace.
    Last edited by galaxygirl; 09-21-2012 at 04:29 PM.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxygirl View Post
    That pendant is gorgeous!!!
    I thought so, too.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    I just started part two of Gone Girl.

Spoiler

Roll Tide, y'all!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    ^ I'm pretty the ending will not be what you're expecting! And I'm not saying any more than that!

vCash
    And I'm pretty sure it is what you're expecting.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Well, at least I have hope that it might not be what I'm expecting. I'll let you know when I'm done.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    A little something for the e-reader peeps among us: http://the-cheap.net/2012/09/freebie-mix-12-books-2/

All 12 books are not only free, they are also DRM-free and thus can be converted to any format you like with Calibre.

If you have a Kindle, a lot of the books posted earlier are still free--but not necessarily DRM free: http://the-cheap.net/category/freebies/

And if you're cheap, but not quite that cheap, here's some $3.99 and under deals for the Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...reative=390957
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    I have found the Jamie Rush offspring series...but am waiting for the next one anyone else read them?

In the meantime, I love my Eve Dallas series by J.D. Robb. I ordered the newest one Delusion in Death yesterday.

vCash
    I just finished Delusion in Death! I found this one satisfying, though I continue to skip the sex scenes completely.

I'm now reading Tana French's latest (Broken Harbour) and am not finding it satisfying. My enjoyment of her books has decreased with each one. My reaction, however, might be complicated by the discovery of

Spoiler

So I'm a little turned off of library books right now. I actually looked seriously into e-readers as a result, but the screens were either too small or too shiny on the ones I saw. I also didn't like how long it took for a new page to load. I'm a fast reader and think that could get annoying. But

Spoiler

vCash
    With the Kindle, you can adjust the print size and I have a screen protector/sun glare screen thing on it. It reads just like a book - a swipe of the screen rather than a flip of a page. I thought I wouldn't like it either, but now that I have my hands on it - my husband hasn't seen it.

vCash
    Thanks, numbers. That wasn't in the store I was checking -- but I think the Kindle is coming to Canada soon-ish. I'll have to look at one of them!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TygerLily View Post
    I just finished Delusion in Death! I found this one satisfying, though I continue to skip the sex scenes completely.
    :
    The sex scenes have become much less graphic over time. Much less. I had to go back and reread Divided in Death where much of the background material for Delusion in Death was based. I enjoyed it all over again. I have all the HC copies of the series, but gave the earlier PB copies to my SIL. I may have to see if she still has them and reread the entire series. It's interesting to see how the technology changes in the series. For example, Eve texts now, while she did not in the books written in the late 90s/early 2000s. There are lots of other subtle changes as well.

Unlike my beloved Reacher that Lee Child seems determined to keep in the dark. I have the new book up next in line on Nook. Of course, Tom Cruise is going to totally alter my perceptions of Reacher. I'm thinking I'll just have to skip that movie.

JKR's new book comes out next week. Can't wait to see what she does without Harry.

And, I keep getting free chapters to read from Preston and Child of the next Pendergast book due out in December. I'm not certain why they're doing this but there seems to be some dispute between them and the publisher. I read the first chapter but haven't read the others because I don't want to spoil my Pendergast experience. Which is best enjoyed with good wine and chocolate. PL just thinks he's her literary husband, but he's all MINE. MINE I tell you. And if his stupid wife survives this book I will be distraught. She's supposed to have been dead for 10 years. You can't just spring a non-dead wife on fans like this. What were they thinking? Sorry, just a little Pendergast fan moment there.
    Last edited by rfisher; 09-22-2012 at 01:56 PM.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    . PL just thinks he's her literary husband, but he's all MINE. MINE I tell you. And if his stupid wife survives this book I will be distraught. She's supposed to have been dead for 10 years. You can't just spring a non-dead wife on fans like this. What were they thinking? Sorry, just a little Pendergast fan moment there.
    Don't make me have to kill you and her.

I'm reading Gone, a dystopian YA book. It's.....okay.

Just me
    vCash
    I love J D Robb. I came late to the party and was lucky enough to find a collection for sale (cheap) on Amazon and read through the first twenty-five or so books one after the other. It really spoiled me. I have a hard time waiting for each new one, now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxygirl View Post
    Well, at least I have hope that it might not be what I'm expecting. I'll let you know when I'm done.
    If you have the same reaction I had, make sure there's nothing valuable within book-flinging distance.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    If you have the same reaction I had, make sure there's nothing valuable within book-flinging distance.
    I'm reading it on my Nook, so I guess I'll have to find something else to fling.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast