Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    if you really want to (or ) about serious Tom Cruise miscasting, go watch Interview With the Vampire. Although I'd have to say TC at least gave it his all, and Brad Pitt as Louis was far more laughable. And Kirsten Dunst was fabulous.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I'm not into vampire stories, but I do remember the controversy at the time. And count me among the apparently few Kirsten Dunst fans out there - loved her in Drop Dead Gorgeous and Bring It On, thought she was perfect in Marie Antoinette.

Not sure why Tom would want to play iconic book characters beloved by millions of readers who so often have their own idea of what that character should look and be like on the big screen. He does well enough with the original characters he creates.

vCash
    I'm absolutely hooked on Sharan Newman's Catherine LeVendeur medieval mysteries - finished #3, The Wandering Arm" this morning and have #4 "Strong as Death" wainting for tonight. I love the premise: Catherine, a Paris merchant's daughter leaves a convent to marry a Saxon scholar/artisan/nobleman and seems to attract dead bodies wherever she goes. Highly educated and logial as well as devout Christians she and Edgar have a huge mix of friends, aquaintances and relative of all walks of life, who help them in their quests to uncover the secrets behind the deaths. Catherine also has one foot in Jewish settlements through her father's side of the family, which must remain secret given the animostiy betqween the two faiths at the time. I like the way Newman presents both sides of religious issues as Catherine and Edgar struggle to balance firendships and family with dogma. "The Wandering Arm" which concerns the traffic of religious artifacts and relics among high-ranking clergy, is particulary rich in details of everyday life in 12th Century Paris and makes the era come alive. "Strong As Death" promises pilgrimages, prophecies and crusaders travelling across a dangerous Europe. I love it! And it's been a good while since I've been able to say that about something new-to-me.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

vCash
    Hmmmm......zephyre, this sounds intriguing. I will check into these!
    Do they need to be read in a specific order?

vCash
    Quartz, I would recommend it, because the running subplot is about Catherine and Edgar's meeting, marriage, and family issues that happen as time passes. The first is "Death Comes as Epiphany" I have a copy I can send you, if you don't mind a small tear in the margin of one page (which makes it unpostable on the swap site so I'm just going to give it away). PM me if you're interested.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

vCash
    Thank you so much, what a lovely offer, zaphyre! However, could you find someone close to you to give the book to instead? Books aren't a luxury item to me, they are a basic necessity, and I have the means to purchase whatever I wish. If you need to find a new home for a book, please give it to someone not as fortunate as I. But thank you again.

vCash
    Time to do my library drop off/get new books tonight. "The Orphan Master's Son" just won the Nobel Prize for fiction. I reserved it right away. Still have to read the plague, it'll happen this weekend, I think...

vCash
    The Gypsy King by Maureen Fergus
    Excellent YA novel, the first in a trilogy

vCash
    Picked up my library book and there were two other holds that came in. Also got tired of waiting for an ebook to become available, so I picked up the hardcover. Came home and the ebook was finally mine. I'm now seriously in need of an intervention.

vCash
    Currently reading "In the Shadow of Blackbirds", classified as a teen title, but I will recommend this for 9 and up. A nice mix of history, science, spiritualism, and light romance.
    Also just started "The Golem and the Jinni" by Helene Weckers. Loved the cover, picked it up and was reading it between customers at the bookstore today, and ended up buying it at the end of my shift.
    And, zaphyre, I ordered the first Sharan Newman book today as well!

vCash
    Someone recommended Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks to me. Eh. Kind of shlocky and grew schlockier as it went on.

Had read A Time of Gifts years ago (1991?) by Patrick Leigh Fermor and really liked it. Lovely story of a guy walking through Europe in the 1930s. Just downloaded it for my Kindle and I'll see if I like it enough again to recommend it to my book group.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    What was schlocky about Year of Wonders? I read an excerpt and had a bad reaction so chose not to read the rest, but I'm curious to hear more to see if my instincts were right.

vCash
    I just finished A Year of Wonders a few minutes ago. Thank you to everyone upthread who praised the book. I really liked it. There were a few things that were a touch farfetched, but overall, it deserves all the praise heaped on it. It was a bright glimpse into a dark time. I'd recommend it without hesitation.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    ok, the previous 3 posts read like a pbp thread:

"well that sucked"
    "I don't have live coverage, have only seen this skater once and wasn't impressed. can someone give details?"
    "zomg that was magical! some of the armography was OTT but I don't care. Fab!"

I'm almost finished with The Razor's Edge, which is a lot different than I expected. I fact, the 2nd half of it is a lot different than the first half. That Larry, once he starts talking, he doesn't really shut up, does he?

Next up, I've got Cheryl Strayed's Wild, a murder mystery by a recommended author, Denise Mina (anyone read her stuff?), and a brand new book by the mother of a coworker called The Voices of Heaven. It's about a family in Seoul starting at the end of the Korean War.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Knowing that I love dystopian literature, several of my students have been bugging me to read The Maze Runner.

So I did. It was pretty awesome.

Of course, it's a series.....

Meh.

vCash
    Currently reading Anne Frank: The Critical Edition. I've read this many times in the past, but it always grabs me and pulls me in all over again. I glean something new every time. Also, the Critical Edition is fascinating, because you can read the diary in all three versions - Anne's original entries, the entries she edited and added to with the thought of future publication, and the version edited by her father that was originally published.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Gen. That's about right. Voidy book PBP!

4 borrowed books competing for "Next" in my life: "The Orphan Master's Son", "Started Early, Took My Dog", "1356", and "Lots of Candles, Even More Cake". What will win? Any votes?

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    4 borrowed books competing for "Next" in my life: "The Orphan Master's Son", "Started Early, Took My Dog", "1356", and "Lots of Candles, Even More Cake". What will win? Any votes?
    I haven't read Started Early but I've read a couple of other books in the Jackson Brodie series by Kate Atkinson, and enjoyed them very much. Plus it's a great title for whatever that's worth.

But Lots of Candles, Even More Cake is a great title too!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    ok, the previous 3 posts read like a pbp thread:

"well that sucked"
    "I don't have live coverage, have only seen this skater once and wasn't impressed. can someone give details?"
    "zomg that was magical! some of the armography was OTT but I don't care. Fab!"
    Very true!!

I thought A Year of Wonders was just. . . I dunno. It was trashier than I expected?? I was fine with the gruesome details of the plague, but yeah, the "far-fetched" description by dbell is pretty apt. Just seemed like some people or their personalities were put in there as plot points; I didn't have the feeling that these characters existed on their own, that the author had a vision of them in her mind, but that she developed them only so far as it was needed for them to do whatever they were going to do with the main character (schtupping her, in a few cases ).
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I haven't read Started Early but I've read a couple of other books in the Jackson Brodie series by Kate Atkinson, and enjoyed them very much. Plus it's a great title for whatever that's worth.

But Lots of Candles, Even More Cake is a great title too!
    THAT explains it! You can tell that he's got a backstory, but she's cramming it into a few random paragraphs like we should already know him!

Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast