Page 42 of 52 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TygerLily View Post
    What does everyone think about Amazon buying Goodreads?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...goodreads.html
    Wow, interesting. Could be good.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Done with Dearie. Julia Child was interesting. Now want to make French food and drink. Not wine though, I'd get a migraine. Rereading Bernard Cornwell's 'Archers Tale' trilogy since his new book 1356 seems to be a continuation of it. First one done in a night, I skimmed a lot since I remembered most of it. I love Cornwell, he loves bowmen.

On the table to be read (all library loans) Still Life With Crows, and Brimstone (more Pendergast); Cleopatra - a Life; 1356 (holding onto that for a few weeks until the others are done); and The Kitchen House. There's another 10 that I'm on the waiting list for.

vCash
    I found yet another box of old paperbacks yesterday and was drawn to Jean Plaidy's "The Bastard King" about William the Conqueror and his wife Matilda of Flanders.I know I must have read it before or I wouldn't have the book but I am really enjoying it. Nothing like a good well-written historical novel to start a new month!
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I found yet another box of old paperbacks yesterday and was drawn to Jean Plaidy's "The Bastard King" about William the Conqueror and his wife Matilda of Flanders.I know I must have read it before or I wouldn't have the book but I am really enjoying it. Nothing like a good well-written historical novel to start a new month!
    I grew up reading Jean Plaidy! In my early teens I discovered her books and spent ages devouring everything I could get my hands on. Totally shaped my later obsession with all things Tudor.

I finished Still Life With Crows, and gave up on Cleopatra. Too dry. The Kitchen House is in first person and the book is in poor shape - ripped and I swear there's a stain on the cover design. It's going back.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I finished Ready Player One - a quick, engaging read! People seem to either really love it or hate it. I'm somewhere in the middle, leaning toward loving it - Gen Xers should enjoy it, although there are some significant storytelling flaws. Pseudo-Spoiler: PL will probably hate this book. The protagonist doesn't spend significant portions of time unconscious, but there are plot-forwarding devices that will piss her off

Am now reading W. Somerset Maugham's The Razor's Edge. Somehow I've never read any Maugham!

Quote Originally Posted by TygerLily View Post
    What does everyone think about Amazon buying Goodreads?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...goodreads.html
    ugh. Every time a massive corporation buys a cool online tool it means they will be determined to monetize the site. Plus, I hate Amazon
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Now I want to read it.

Dammit.

vCash
    Finished The Portrait of a Lady today. Do not get the love for this book; I found Isabel Archer to be so uninteresting.

vCash
    Only $2.99 at Amazon US. For all of the Little House on the Prairie fans here... http://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Pr...=IRCIX28FVX9JB

having a nice day
    vCash
    if you have not yet read the worst hard time read it now. esp if you live in a drought state. also recommend cherries in winter for the recipes and her grandma's good sense. was hard to sympathize with the author tho. she dunno hardtimes half as much as she feels she does.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I used to read a lot of Jean Plaidy. I should pick up one of hers again.

Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    ugh. Every time a massive corporation buys a cool online tool it means they will be determined to monetize the site. Plus, I hate Amazon
    That seems to be pretty much the general reaction from the writers and reading addicts I follow on the internet. Amazon swears nothing will change, but why buy a site like that if you don't intend to tie it to sales?

Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Finished The Portrait of a Lady today. Do not get the love for this book; I found Isabel Archer to be so uninteresting.
    I'm with you; Henry James's work leaves me cold. I thought of you this evening in my lit class--one of my students is reading Moby Dick and is still surprised that she likes it. She expected it to be really boring. I told her that there are people who enjoy the book--just not everyone.

I finished The Way of All Flesh, my penance book for my lit class, and while I found parts of it very entertaining and sometimes genuinely LOL funny, a lot of it just made me cringe. I can see why Samuel Butler was afraid to have the book published during his lifetime; if I had written such a savage take on my family, I would have hidden the manuscript, too. Most satires have a certain empathy for the people being skewered, but this one? Nary a drop of sympathy for human failings, even his own.

I told the class that since it's midterm (for them) and I finished the book, I would read another one, so I'm thinking One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is the lesser of several other evils.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Oh, I discovered Jean Plaidy as a young teen with an obsession with all things British history -- she was out of print at the time so it was to the library and used booksellers for me. It's been about a decade since I read her, but I recall especially loving the Queens of England series, with the first-person narrative. And the Tudor and Stuart series as well. And now I'm nostalgic.

vCash
    In yet another flashback to my youth, I have Kathleen Turner's reading of Elizabeth Peter's "Street of the Five Moons" goin in my car. It's abridged but well-done enough that I don't notice the cut-parts and the chase scene through the Italian gardens had me laughing out loud in morning traffic. My only quibble is that Turner's accent for Sir John is terrible. Still, I think this is pretty high on my list of all-time favorite books.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post

I'm with you; Henry James's work leaves me cold. I thought of you this evening in my lit class--one of my students is reading Moby Dick and is still surprised that she likes it. She expected it to be really boring. I told her that there are people who enjoy the book--just not everyone.
    Prancer,

That's great about your student; I hope she continues to like Moby Dick.

The Portrait of a Lady read is for a discussion class (last one tonight) led by the same instructor who did the Moby Dick reading group. The discussions themselves have been great; lots of people in the class and they are not shy about speaking up and contributing. The difference is, that while the class is great, when I get to the next reading assignment it all falls flat. In addition to thinking the book is a big dud, I am stunned by the fact that this is supposedly James' most popular work. Oh well, I'll see what comes up on The Center for Fiction calendar next.

vCash
    in my high school there was a fabled month long Moby Dick immersion in 11th grade english. the weird thing is that is was a project of one teacher, and I would swear there were two english teachers for that grade. The other sap was nowhere near as notorious, I guess. I barely remember Moby Dick, though. The other immersion project, about the Vietnam War, was far more interesting to me.
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I thought of you this evening in my lit class--one of my students is reading Moby Dick and is still surprised that she likes it. She expected it to be really boring. I told her that there are people who enjoy the book--just not everyone.
    I'm alternating new books with those I first read in my teens or at Uni. Currently I'm re-reading Moby Dick, then I'll move on to The Snow Child and then back to an old favourite, Gulliver's Travels. I've got a whole pile of new books, but also feel I'm becoming detached from those I read ages ago, so alternating them seems the best idea.

I know there are plenty of people who dislike Moby Dick, or find it boring, but for me it's a source of endless fascination.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    I just finished reading Ashfall, in which the supervolcano at Yellowstone blows up and wipes out most of the midwest.

It was a good story, but so much of it was predicated on the main character making bad decisions that it got a little frustrating. Food and water are scarce. The main character has been on the brink of starvation several times. But every time he found a large stash and a safe place, he'd be all, "NO I MUST FIND MY PARENTS."

Apparently, there is a sequel in which he AGAIN leaves a safe haven to GO FIND THE PARENTS.

Dude, they'd want you safe. Not wandering through ash and worrying about your next meal.

Meh.

vCash
    it's like Rose in the film Titanic - she keeps getting ways to get off the boat, yet flings herself back into danger, with squeaks of "Jack! Jack!"

Spoiler

the Moby Dick talk this am made me think of The Scarlet Letter, which reminded me of reading the story from the other point of view. I swear there was a book called Arthur Dimmesdale that we read as a companion piece, but damned if I can find any information now about such a book existing.

vCash
    Don't know about any Arthur Dimmesdale, but I didn't read The Scarlet Letter until I was in my 30s or 40s and I thought it was a stunner, an absolute masterpiece. It's on my to be re-read list.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    at spoiler tags for Titanic.

vCash
    I hate The Scarlet Letter so much, there aren't even words to describe. And I had to read it in high school, college AND grad school.

And, yes, I fecking re-read it each time. Because I'm THAT student. Meh.

Page 42 of 52 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast