Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Finished The Killing Floor (first Jack Reacher novel) and loved it. I know many of you have read the others - are they as good? Might just buy the next two and then go from there.
    Some of them are good, some of them are so-so, and some of them are to be avoided. All of them are violent, some more than others. I think The Killing Floor is the best of them, but that may be because it was the first one I read and it was such a surprise. After that, Jack Reacher was a known quality.

Both of the spoiler points you mentioned are pretty consistent. In some of the books, the logical leaps are downright insulting to your intelligence. rfisher is my canary in the mine; she always reads the new ones as soon as they come out and posts about them here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    I know there are some romance novel readers out there. I took some time off last week and needed some really light reading and stumbled upon Julia Quinn's Bridgerton Series (the lives and loves of eight brothers and sisters, Regency style). The "formula" was easy to spot, but the characters were fun and she writes snappy dialogue. Good, fun fluff.
    A list for you: http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...attempted=true

And a website: http://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/

Thanks, Jenny. I'll look her up. I seem to swing back and forth between murder mysteries, science fiction, romance and a host of other things. Is that a sign of a multiple personality??
    I hope not.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    I know there are some romance novel readers out there. I took some time off last week and needed some really light reading and stumbled upon Julia Quinn's Bridgerton Series (the lives and loves of eight brothers and sisters, Regency style). The "formula" was easy to spot, but the characters were fun and she writes snappy dialogue. Good, fun fluff.
    Which ones have you read? My favorite Bridgerton books were Anthony's, Benedict's and Francesca's. Stay away from the last two, she was clearly phoning it in by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Nan, you've likely already run across this author before, but just in case you might want to try Jennifer Crusie. She started as a romance writer and evolved into a kind of anti-chick lit writer. Recently injecting more of the supernatural in her stories, which not everyone likes, and ditto her collaborations with another writer. But there's a chunk of books in the middle - around Welcome to Temptation and Faking It - that are quite good. Fun characters well drawn, romance that's a bit more real, light reads.
    I like Cruisie, but in moderation - she has a very distinctive voice and sense of humor, and it gets repetitive after a while. Anyway, I don't see her as being at all similar to Quinn, starting with the fact that Crusie writes contemporary romance (WTT and Faking it are definitely in the genre), while Quinn writes Regency historicals. For someone who enjoyed Quinn, I'd suggest Loretta Chase, Julie Anne Long and maybe Miranda Neville.

As for romance websites, I'd add Dear Author, All About Romance, and the blogs Gossamer Obsessions and Mean Fat Old Bat. For anyone looking for less formulaic romance, Wonkomance highlights some of those.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Which ones have you read? My favorite Bridgerton books were Anthony's, Benedict's and Francesca's. Stay away from the last two, she was clearly phoning it in by then.
    I haven't read the last two. That's disappointing. Gregory was always rather meh as far as I was concerned, but I found Honoria quite entertaining in the other books.

Julie Anne Long
    Pennyroyal Green! I could not remember the name of the series, but that was the one trying to pop into my head when I saw the Bridgertons.

I think the books in that series are rather erratic; some of them I really liked, some were really meh.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I haven't read the last two. That's disappointing. Gregory was always rather meh as far as I was concerned, but I found Honoria quite entertaining in the other books.
    Hyacinth's book was annoying (AnimeJune said it best) and Gregory's was boring. Naturally she won a Rita for that and not for her earlier, better books.

Pennyroyal Green! I could not remember the name of the series, but that was the one trying to pop into my head when I saw the Bridgertons.

I think the books in that series are rather erratic; some of them I really liked, some were really meh.
    I don't even like Julie Anne Long, but I'm in the minority and it seems like a good choice for many people who do enjoy Quinn. I forgot to mention Tessa Dare, that might also work. Maybe Eloisa James, too?
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 03-22-2013 at 07:40 PM.

Just me
    vCash
    Thanks. I've read quite a few of these authors over the years, but it's always good to find new ones.

The books about the three oldest children were my favorites. The last two, not so much. But by that time I was on a roll and felt I needed to finish the whole series. They didn't want to make me poke my eyes out, but I felt they weren't up to the same standards of the first three. Maybe Ms. Bridgerton should have had a few less children.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Hyacinth's
    Hyacinth . I read too many Regencies.

I started losing interest in the Bridgertons right around Eloise, although I did read Francesca's.

I don't even like Julie Anne Long
    I really liked the first one. The second one was okay; HATED the third, and have been meh about the rest.

The books about the three oldest children were my favorites.
    Anthony's was my favorite just for the croquet game.

I thought the Pink Carnation series was fun, although that's another one I lost interest in after a while and I haven't read them all. I am PML that the author claims they are historically accurate. Um, no. You must completely suspend disbelief.

If you like Grace Burrowes, one of her books is the Free Friday selection.

vCash
    Hyacinth . I read too many Regencies.

I started losing interest in the Bridgertons right around Eloise, although I did read Francesca's.

I really liked the first one. The second one was okay; HATED the third, and have been meh about the rest.

I thought the Pink Carnation series was fun, although that's another one I lost interest in after a while and I haven't read them all.
    The Mallet of Death! I am going to read the second epilogues book primarily for the rematch...

Quinn did have a book with a main character named Honoria, I think it was one of the more recent ones.

I didn't like The Secret History of the Pink Carnation.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quinn did have a book with a main character named Honoria, I think it was one of the more recent ones.
    The Smith-Smythes or Smythe-Smiths series, I think. The joke about the lack of music skills was taken a wee bit too far, I think.

I usually hate stupid heroines, but for some reason, I laughed all the way through the Pink Carnation.

Just me
    vCash
    Loved the Croquet game. Scenes like that were what kept me reading the series.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    The Mae Murray bio was a bit of a let-down. Apparently the author spent only one year researching and writing it, and it showed. Still, I've read worse Tinseltown bios and the author did manage to interview people who actually knew her (including her son), no small feat considering the fact that she'd be 118 today. So back to Willa Cather it is to finish up One of Ours. I suspect that Our Hero will end up dead in a trench in Flanders or France at the end of it, but we'll see.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Tried reading The Tiger's Wife, decided it wasn't for me. Also dumped a Kristen Hannah book a few pages in. Read "The Second Messiah" by Glenn Mead, interesting premise, but really annoying at points - I hate 3 page chapters where everything's a cliffhanger and stuff ends off page. Now loving "Dearie: The Remarkable Life of Julia Child." Love. Very dense at almost 600 pages, but so much fun to find out her very interesting back story and knowing she wasn't really a good cook for many years.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Finished reading "Former People" which I think was mentioned on this thread a while back. Not a light read- about the fate of the Russian aristocracy after the revolution. Very well written and researched, and a part of 20th century history which has not been well documented until now. Looking forward to Douglas Smith's next book which he has said will be about Rasputin.

After that I needed lighter reading- so I read the latest CS Harris paperback "When Maidens Mourn"- in her regency mystery series. This has become my favourite historical mystery series since Kate Ross's. I love the complex relationship between the hero, Sebastian and his wife. Also I started a new 1920s mystery- by Frances Brody "Dying in the Wool", which looks like a promising series- I like her detective Kate Shackelton- I'll wait for the next one to come in paperback- it's only in hardcover in my local bookstore.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Just read Elin Hilderbrand's Summerland. This is the second of hers that I've read, and I am becoming a fan. Her characters are interesting and multi-dimensional, and she gives equal weight to the males and females which is fairly unusual.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    I'm reading Sharon Newman's medieval mystery "Death Comes as Epiphany", the first in her Catherine LeVendeur series. It's interesting historically: Catherine is 18 and a novice in the convent headed by Heloise of Heloise and Abelard fame. Although the two have long parted, the scandal refuses to die and Heloise sends Catherine back to her home in Paris to find a psalter that may have been altered to blacken Abelard. There Catherine faces her parent's wrath, her sister's spite and her uncle Roger's startling admiration, all of which upset her convent-bred sensibilities. When her old friend the stonemason is murdered right in front of her, she and the man's apprentice, Edgar, get involved in solving the crime because everyone in authority seems determined that the death was accidental.

It looks like an interesting series and there are a lot of volumes in print so it should keep me busy for a while.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

vCash
    What does everyone think about Amazon buying Goodreads?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...goodreads.html

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    ^ Wow, I hadn't heard that! Time will tell, I guess.

vCash
    I've just started a nonfiction book called Bringing Mulligan Home; The Other Side of the Good War. It's written by the son of a WWII veteran who served in the Pacific. Though his father rarely spoke of his experiences, after his death, the author tracked down and interviewed others who shared his experiences. He found that as they got older, they seemed more willing to talk. I can tell it's not going to be the usual "good war" account, and I will probably be sobbing through most of it just like I usually am when I read about these men.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Did you get to Part II yet?

Part II was where I really started to like the book. Amy's parts become, IMO, significantly more interesting (though yes, she's never very likeable).

If you're there already and still don't like it, the rest of it is pretty much more of the same, so... it's up to you!
    I've been wanting to discuss Gone Girl with somebody!!! Holy Moley. I'm used to James Patterson and Janet Evanovich and "cozy" mysteries and stuff. This was torture. There was so much narrative, describing EVERY little thing, for the first chapter I almost fell asleep (or quit). But it was on the best seller list for months, so I kept going. And kept hoping they would all kill each other. Through Amy's diary entries, I kept thinking she must be suffering from passive-aggressive disorder, turned out much worse than that. And I figured she was going to be behind everything. Then I got to Part II and had to find out why and how. The end was so disappointing. I wanted him to follow her treasure hunt and find her dead body and that someone else, anyone else, everybody else, killed her!!!!! Maybe we could have that sequel - FINALLY Gone Girl. Waiting to ENJOY book 12 of James Patterson's Women's Murder Club series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan1 View Post
    I've been wanting to discuss Gone Girl with somebody!!!
    I put it down about 1/3 of the way through and moved on. I'll probably finish it some day ...
    Creating drama!

vCash
    I finished Requiem, the last in the Delirium trilogy by Lauren Oliver and it was so bad. I liked Pandemonium quite a bit, so it was a big disappointment. Not so much the ending, which I hear everyone complain about, but the fact that it was so damn boring and that I couldn't give a crap about the Lena/Julian/Alex triangle.

I'm not reading "The Painted Girls" by Cathy Marie Buchanan, about poor Parisian girls in the opera who become Degas' models. I'm liking it a lot, but now I want to smack Antoinette for being such a moron!

Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast