Page 36 of 52 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
    Just me
    vCash
    I am more than half-way through Gone Girl and I would like to kick every singe character down a flight of stairs. Can anyone give me a good reason to finish this book?
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    ^ Well, it's certainly not a book for anyone who has to find likability in the central characters. I can pretty much guarantee you won't be loving the characters at the end either.

That being said, though, I did really like the book. I wouldn't want every book I read to be like that ... but I did thoroughly enjoy the psychological thrill-ride it took me on. And if nothing else, it can make you feel really good about your own relationships in comparison!

Just me
    vCash
    I don't necessarily need to like any or all of the characters, but what is the use of reading the thing if I just don't care what happens to any of them.

vCash
    For you post-apocolyptic fiction fans, you might try "Ice Diaries" by Lexivellian. It was the first Kindle freebie I've actually liked. Set in London, England in the year following a pandemic and catastrophic climate change that caused snow to cover all but the tops of the tallest buildings, the story is told by one of a small group of survivors. There are some gtrammatical and stylistic errors I'm not crazy about but I ended up caring about the main characters. It's at least worth discussing, I think.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    I'm about a quarter (if that) of the way through Gone Girl but I am already reading Amazing Amy as Annoying Amy. I feel bad since I know there is the possibility that something terrible has happened to her.
    Creating drama!

Just me
    vCash
    jeffisjeff, Annoying Amy is perfect!

vCash
    Well, kudos to you, IceAlisa. I have yet to get through anything James wrote after 1886. I'm not sure if it's true, but I vaguely remember reading that James dictated his later novels, which may be why they're full of "insufferable, pointless circumlocution" (well put, btw). I'm currently reading One of Ours by Willa Cather - so far I like it, even though I know how it's going to end. After this, however, something on the lighter side.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    I finished reading Arranged by Catherine McKenzie about a couple of weeks ago. It's about a journalist who decides to have an arranged because everyone around her is either married or getting married while she has no luck in the love department. I know it sounds fluffy but it was actually a good read. Since I loved it, I began to read another book by McKenzie called Forgotten. It's slower than Arranged and I haven't gotten very far. Also, I've been busy with school work so my reading time has been greatly constrained. I also have some other books I borrowed from the library but haven't gotten around to. I cannot wait until spring break. One of them is titled The One I Left Behind by Jennifer McMahon. Has anyone read it?
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I am number six on the library list.

I must say that e-book offerings at the library are a little different from the standard print selection. Goodness, the things that are recommended to me now because I have that book on request.
    Have you read Full Service yet, Prancer? I'm down to the last chapter. As much as I lurves my Tinseltown dish, I can't believe Bowers knew the people that he knew (in the literal and Biblical sense) and they did all of these salacious things. Guess I'm a priss-pot at heart.

I need to read some good historical fiction - anyone got suggestions?

vCash
    What kind of historical fiction do you like, Rex? (adds Bowers book to cart)
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    What kind of historical fiction do you like, Rex? (adds Bowers book to cart)
    I like WW2 fiction, sweeping multi-generational epic novels that they don't write anymore. I used to read the ones my parents had.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    I am more than half-way through Gone Girl and I would like to kick every singe character down a flight of stairs. Can anyone give me a good reason to finish this book?
    Did you get to Part II yet?

Part II was where I really started to like the book. Amy's parts become, IMO, significantly more interesting (though yes, she's never very likeable).

If you're there already and still don't like it, the rest of it is pretty much more of the same, so... it's up to you!

vCash
    Gone Girl: my problem was that I found it dragged at the end. I wasn't bothered by whether I liked or didn't like the characters. The storyline just reached a point where, for me, it was like "just get it over already, please".

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Have you read Full Service yet, Prancer? I'm down to the last chapter. As much as I lurves my Tinseltown dish, I can't believe Bowers knew the people that he knew (in the literal and Biblical sense) and they did all of these salacious things. Guess I'm a priss-pot at heart.
    The library only has it as an audio book and audio books put me right to sleep.

It is on my list to buy, though, but only when it becomes cheap--as that seems appropriate .

I need to read some good historical fiction - anyone got suggestions?
    Ah, The Winds of War books. Hmmm. I suppose you've read all of James Michener?

Night of Flames might work--it's not a multigenerational saga, but it does involve a married couple separated by way and fighting their own battles.

Have you ever read Eye of the Needle? It's set during World War II. I haven't read it in years, but I enjoyed it.

If you like alternative World War II history (what if the Third Reich won?), a lot of people I know like Harry Turtledove.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    I like WW2 fiction, sweeping multi-generational epic novels that they don't write anymore. I used to read the ones my parents had.
    Ever read Black Wind? It's a little out there (sci-fi elements) but very interesting, with gripping characters and storylines.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    I like WW2 fiction,
    The one book I remember reading sort-of in this genre was Gone to Soldiers by Marge Piercy. There were intertwined stories focusing on ten different characters. Somewhere along the way I realized that I liked some of the characters a lot better than others. I'm afraid that when one of my favorites died I may have lost interest.

vCash
    Have you read Gone to Soldiers? Not sure it meets all your criteria, but worth checking out.

vCash
    Rex, check out Fatherland by Robert Harris.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    It is on my list to buy, though, but only when it becomes cheap--as that seems appropriate .
    It's not something I'd be caught reading on the bus, I can tell you that!

Ah, The Winds of War books. Hmmm. I suppose you've read all of James Michener?
    Read them twice, actually. What Michener books would you suggest?

Night of Flames might work--it's not a multigenerational saga, but it does involve a married couple separated by way and fighting their own battles.

Have you ever read Eye of the Needle? It's set during World War II. I haven't read it in years, but I enjoyed it.

If you like alternative World War II history (what if the Third Reich won?), a lot of people I know like Harry Turtledove.
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Ever read Black Wind? It's a little out there (sci-fi elements) but very interesting, with gripping characters and storylines.
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    The one book I remember reading sort-of in this genre was Gone to Soldiers by Marge Piercy. There were intertwined stories focusing on ten different characters. Somewhere along the way I realized that I liked some of the characters a lot better than others. I'm afraid that when one of my favorites died I may have lost interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Thanks, all. I'm putting these on my list of books to read.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I really liked Fatherland. It has to be noted, however, that it's alternate history and takes place in the 1960s. Enigma is pretty good, too.

Rex, if you don't mind something a bit more romance-y, you might want to try The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons.

Page 36 of 52 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast