Page 32 of 52 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Make sure you hold off on eating beforehand...
    Not for the squeamish. Scotty Bowers must have lived on an oyster farm .
    I am number six on the library list.

I must say that e-book offerings at the library are a little different from the standard print selection. Goodness, the things that are recommended to me now because I have that book on request.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

((Swedish skating dudes))
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    Margaret Atwood fans, her final book in the Maddaddam trilogy, simply called Maddaddam, pubs this Sept 13 in the US!
    Woohoo!

I'm reading Cloud Atlas and I'm trying not to jump ahead to finish reading the Adam Ewing account, I assume there's a point in the stories being nested.

vCash
    I know there are some steampunk readers here. Has anyone read Kate Cross' "Heart of Brass"? I started it yesterday. It took me a bit to get into the concept but I'm starting to really like the characters. It's a series, too, and I've already gotten the second volume.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    101 Nook Books for $2.99 or less: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/eboo..._299_january30

Pay no attention to rfisher; there are some really good books in there (okay, and some that are cheap for a reason).

And in the interest of balance, here are 100 Kindle books for $3.99 or less: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000706171
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Child 44 is on there, and that's a really good book.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I just started reading Annabel by Kathleen Winter. It's got an interesting premise, had lots of high praise, but.....her writing is downright zzzzzzzzzz. So far the central characters are all maddeningly simple. I'm hoping this is just a counterpoint to how people behave in coming chapters (I'm only about 60 pages in). Has anyone read it? Should I persevere?
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

From the Bloc
    vCash
    January is when I like to read Peter Mayle and Giles Blunt. The former to escape the gloom and imagine myself in the sunny South of France; the latter because it enhances the story

Mayle's The Marseille Caper was lots of fun. It's a short read, not a lot of depth or intrigue, but I really enjoy his writing and the fact that half his stories are descriptions of what the characters had for lunch

Now onto heavier stuff - Until the Night. If you like crime stories, this guy is really good. Compelling characters, good mysteries, and very Canadian if you like that sort of thing I started reading his books when I was living the ex-pat life in the US and missed home, and now I look forward to them for the atmospheric landscapes he paints, and the page turning storytelling. I bought this one months ago, but since all his books take place in the dead of winter in northern Ontario, I saved it for cold weather and cozying up to read at night. This one has a bonus parallel story in the Arctic with references to the explorers of the 19th century, even better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Yes.

vCash
    I loaned The Light Between Oceans to my sister, so in the meantime I'm reading one called Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers. It's fascinating, but I'm really glad there are no photos.

vCash
    Robopocalypse by Daniel H Wilson - read it on the weekend, found it very engrossing. It had me up late reading in the wee hours. Thank you local e-library for the weekend's entertainment. Apparently the movie rights were also picked up for this book.

vCash
    Just finished "Game Change" about the 2008 US Presidential elections. Loved the HBO movie, but the book was even better - went into massive detail behind all the front runners (and never had a chance) primary runs. No matter what your affiliation, it's a great gossipy read. Found it on Amazon for $2.99.

Child 44 is also on Kindle for $2.99. I think I may bite, even though there's about 100 books on there now I haven't touched.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I have this and its 2 sequels, The Secret Speech and Agent 6 (which just came out in paperback) in my to-read pile. Also cool about Tom Rob Smith--he dontates part of the profits from his book sales to charity. Oh, and he's SMOKIN hot.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I really liked Child 44. The Secret Speech, not so much. I am debating with myself about Agent 6 and leaning toward waiting until it's a $2.99 book .

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Ooooohhhh I can spend $300 for 300 bad books to go with those other "cheap" books I downloaded in my gleeful early days of Nook ownership.

That I'm now trying to figure out how to delete.

Pay no attention to Prancer. She's trying to lure you like a hinkypunk in a swamp.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Ooooohhhh I can spend $300 for 300 bad books to go with those other "cheap" books I downloaded in my gleeful early days of Nook ownership.

That I'm now trying to figure out how to delete.

Pay no attention to Prancer. She's trying to lure you like a hinkypunk in a swamp.
    If you can't figure out how to delete books from your Nook, you should probably not be giving anyone any advice at all.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Has anyone ever read George Saunders? Apparently we all should.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Just finished "Game Change" about the 2008 US Presidential elections. Loved the HBO movie, but the book was even better - went into massive detail behind all the front runners (and never had a chance) primary runs. No matter what your affiliation, it's a great gossipy read. Found it on Amazon for $2.99.

Child 44 is also on Kindle for $2.99. I think I may bite, even though there's about 100 books on there now I haven't touched.
    "Game Change" is next in my pile. Right now I'm starting "Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of Belief" by Lawrence Wright. Interesting so far.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Child 44 has been purchased.

Cygnus - hope you like Game Change!

I found out my local library has an e-lending program. Need to get there to sign up. There's some books I'd like to read that I don't feel like buying.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    "Game Change" is next in my pile. Right now I'm starting "Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of Belief" by Lawrence Wright. Interesting so far.
    Game Change is a great read.

Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    I found out my local library has an e-lending program. Need to get there to sign up. There's some books I'd like to read that I don't feel like buying.
    The library is the best bookstore ever.

You may not need to sign up if you already have a library card. I never have.

Check and see if they have Zinio or something like it, too--I get free magazine subscriptions through the library in addition to books.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I just got Ready Player One as an incentive to get through Annabel - I'm tempted to just read it first, but I fear I'll never come back to the other book.

Of course, I've heard good things about RPO, and as soon as I got home from the bookstore I looked on Goodreads and saw a friend of mine gave it only 2 stars
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Page 32 of 52 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast