Page 23 of 52 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 460 of 1025
  1. #441

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Not after the same people as Theatregirl
    Posts
    21,936
    vCash
    350
    Rep Power
    38410
    It's been a long time since I've thought about the murder of JonBenet, but I did read a book about it (also a long time ago). I think the main evidence against the parents was the ransom note was in Patsy's handwriting (or they were nearly certain it was) and where JonBenet was found in the house could only be accessed by someone who knew the house well.

    I always thought it was the brother, personally. But I have no evidence upon which to base that.

  2. #442
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,368
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11617
    For those interested in the JonBenet Ramsey case, this is a very comprehensive resource that breaks down every clue, every bit of testimony, timelines, floorplans, every theory, you name it.

    http://jonbenetramsey.pbworks.com/w/...f%20Chronology

  3. #443
    ((Swedish skating dudes))
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    2,440
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1090
    I finished Sharp Objects last night, and I have to say I saw both twists coming a mile away, so that was a little disappointing. The writing was also a little sloppy and disjointed in places, so not as good as Gone Girl.

    I've moved on to Jeanette Winterson's Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit (finally ) and I'm reading Towers of Midnight on the subway, because Oranges is a borrowed book.

  4. #444
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    Posts
    4,808
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilynn View Post
    I've moved on to Jeanette Winterson's Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit (finally ) ...
    Don't beat yourself up: I still haven't read that one, and I've been meaning to ever since I saw the movie 20 years ago.

  5. #445
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,725
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Anyone ever read any Annie Dillard? I have a fellow booknerd who raves about her.

  6. #446
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    38,162
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    46915
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    Anyone ever read any Annie Dillard? I have a fellow booknerd who raves about her.
    I've read quite a bit of Annie Dillard because her work is often included in writing textbooks, usually as examples of fine essay writing (or as advice for essay writing). She won a Pultizer in the 1970s. I've never read her poetry or fiction, just her nonfiction essays. She writes in a conversational, easy style that is very student-friendly (although some of them complain that she--gasp!--curses in her writing) but is also insightful.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

  7. #447
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    Posts
    4,808
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    Anyone ever read any Annie Dillard? I have a fellow booknerd who raves about her.
    Nothing about Dillard ... I just wanted to at your used of "booknerd" as a closed compound.

  8. #448
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    Posts
    4,808
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Aww, sad news: just heard that Bryce Courtenay died, of stomach cancer. He was 79.

    I haven't read everything he wrote, but what I have read I enjoyed very much.

    RIP, Bryce.

  9. #449
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,125
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34921
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    For those interested in the JonBenet Ramsey case, this is a very comprehensive resource that breaks down every clue, every bit of testimony, timelines, floorplans, every theory, you name it.

    http://jonbenetramsey.pbworks.com/w/...f%20Chronology
    Thanks, I was never really interested in this particular child murder more than others until this book. Will check it out.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  10. #450
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,125
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34921
    I read it--I know nothing about police protocol but am not sure if this was proper not to secure the whole house vs. just the JonBenet's bedroom. I also think it's unusual to find the body in the house with the time of death being estimated to be so much earlier. And the ransom note--it was determined that it wasn't John Ramsey who wrote it and that his wife Patsy was a candidate but was not definitively ruled in. I've also read something about a pubic hair found on JonBenet's blanket that didn't belong to a family member. And then there are those stun gun marks which may not be stun gun marks. And the DNA on the panties is that of a male not belonging to the family but then it could be just someone who packaged the panties at the manufacturing site (were the panties brand new straight out of packaging or did they go through several washing/drying cycles, in which case would that DNA sample survive?) Still not sure what happened. What would the Ramsey's motive be? Was there evidence of prior abuse, physical or sexual?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  11. #451
    Re-registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Nowhere in particular
    Posts
    5,849
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1561
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilynn View Post
    I'm reading Towers of Midnight on the subway, because Oranges is a borrowed book.
    The final Wheel of Time book comes out January 8th. I'm taking the day off to read it cover to cover in one sitting. Towers of Midnight wasn't quite as satifying as The Gathering Storm, but it left me really anticipating the final battle.

    I just gave in and crossed Captain Vorpatril's Alliance by Lois McMaster Bujold off of my Christmas list and bought it myself. I want to read some well written escapist literature, and I've enjoyed every book in the Vorkosigan Saga.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

  12. #452
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Age
    25
    Posts
    9,108
    vCash
    1529
    Rep Power
    0
    The police were heavily criticized for the handling of that case - justifiably so, IMO.

  13. #453
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,725
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I've read quite a bit of Annie Dillard because her work is often included in writing textbooks, usually as examples of fine essay writing (or as advice for essay writing). She won a Pultizer in the 1970s. I've never read her poetry or fiction, just her nonfiction essays. She writes in a conversational, easy style that is very student-friendly (although some of them complain that she--gasp!--curses in her writing) but is also insightful.
    Good info, thanks!

  14. #454
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,368
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11617
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    What would the Ramsey's motive be? Was there evidence of prior abuse, physical or sexual?
    One theory is that her death was accidental, at the hands of someone in the immediately family or a very close friend of the family, and that the parents tried to make it look like an intruder/sexual offender to protect that person.

  15. #455
    INTJ
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,111
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I found a For Better or For Worse collection at a book sale the other night and am thoroughly enjoying it I found out that Lynn Johnston used to baby-sit my mom when she was really little too. It's a small world.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

  16. #456
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,125
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34921
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    One theory is that her death was accidental, at the hands of someone in the immediately family or a very close friend of the family, and that the parents tried to make it look like an intruder/sexual offender to protect that person.
    Yes, that theory is explored as well. Not sure how much actual evidence it received. It's hard to figure out what happened but JCO makes it absolutely definitive. This is the worst book of hers I've read to date, by far. Who talks of skaters wearing stockings, pancake makeup and little girls named Mildred in the late 1990's? There are a number of other anachronisms straight out of the 50's that got past the editor. I suppose when you are JCO at this point of your writing career, you can do whatever you want.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  17. #457

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    La Belle Province
    Age
    36
    Posts
    13,383
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3763
    Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    I found a For Better or For Worse collection at a book sale the other night and am thoroughly enjoying it I found out that Lynn Johnston used to baby-sit my mom when she was really little too. It's a small world.
    Every so often I'll go to fbofw.com and relive the comic strip again. It was such a constant growing up. Pretty cool about your Mom!

  18. #458
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,725
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    Every so often I'll go to fbofw.com and relive the comic strip again. It was such a constant growing up. Pretty cool about your Mom!
    When Farley died...

  19. #459
    INTJ
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,111
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    When Farley died...
    Oh I know Kills me every time. Apparently, Charles Schultz threatened to kill off Snoopy if Farley died
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

  20. #460
    ((Swedish skating dudes))
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    2,440
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1090
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Don't beat yourself up: I still haven't read that one, and I've been meaning to ever since I saw the movie 20 years ago.
    I'm 1/3 through it now and it is a lot funnier than I expected (and surprisingly easy to read). That'll teach me to put off the recommendations of my friend.

    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    The final Wheel of Time book comes out January 8th. I'm taking the day off to read it cover to cover in one sitting. Towers of Midnight wasn't quite as satifying as The Gathering Storm, but it left me really anticipating the final battle.

    I just gave in and crossed Captain Vorpatril's Alliance by Lois McMaster Bujold off of my Christmas list and bought it myself. I want to read some well written escapist literature, and I've enjoyed every book in the Vorkosigan Saga.
    I can't quite decide whether to try to hold off for the e-book of AMOL or not. I'm guessing I won't be able to wait until April, so I guess I'll end up buying the hardcover anyway. I can't quite believe I've spent over 20 years reading WOT!

    I've been meaning to read a Bujold as well (another recommendation I haven't gotten around to. ), although I might start with Curse of Chalion since that's an upcoming read in one of the groups I'm in on Goodreads.

Page 23 of 52 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •