Page 16 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

vCash
    I will momentarily stop picking on Spinner for his taste in lit-ra-chur because he got me a copy of the new Agent Pendergrast novel. Which is currently unreleased.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    There is a word for you and it starts with a B and ends with an h.

:

Just for this, I hope that silly baseball team loses. And yes, I will be seething inside for two freaking months knowing you've read it and I haven't.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash

Just me
    vCash
    Thanks, Artemis@BC.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I will momentarily stop picking on Spinner for his taste in lit-ra-chur because he got me a copy of the new Agent Pendergrast novel. Which is currently unreleased.

I haz connectionz.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    I haz connectionz.
    Helen is still alive.

Poop.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Helen is still alive.

Poop.

But, for how long?
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Dear Prancer

We're pleased to tell you that you are eligible for gift certificate credits thanks to recent legal settlements between States Attorneys General and three eBook publishers. Barnes & Noble was not a party to the settlements but as a NOOK® customer, you can take advantage of the benefits agreed to by the settling publishers.

More free books!
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    I got that email too and meant to ask Spinner if it was a scam.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    A friend at work is moving, and giving away most of her posessions, and she gave me a copy of The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I remember how many here loved it, and I've been planning to pick it up, but I've never seen it at bargain books or book sale, where I pick up most of what I read. And now I know why-

People don't give up their copies- they save them to read again. What an engrossing and beautifully written book. It seems very odd that they shelve it only in the YA section, because it is an adult book about a child, that YA readers will probably also enjoy.

I don't usually read Holocaust stories, because they are so unbearably painful, but the constantly spoilering narration of Death is making it so I don't have to worry about people's fate, I can just read along as events unfold.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy View Post
    I was going to start but when I hurried off to check my email, I have one also.

vCash
    Funny, I was going to start The Book Thief tonight as well!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy View Post
    No, I read about the lawsuit settlement a few days ago. Amazon sued some publishers for price fixing e-books; Amazon customers were given credits and I was thinking, "Too bad B&N isn't part of it," but it appears they are.

I have a Kindle app, too, so wheeeeeeeee.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

((Swedish skating dudes))
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Alexandra View Post
    I've just started reading Dmitry Glukhovsky's Metro 2033, in English. I'm kinda thinking I should see if my classmate's Swedish translation is better; I'm liking the book so far, but the English translation feels very direct, to the point where I find myself reading it in a Russian accent. There's also quite a lot of infodumping, and characters telling one another things they both already know, but I'm guessing that'll recede once the stage has been set? We'll see.

It's funny though, it's gotten me thinking of all those book and films where the world itself it more interesting than the characters and their troubles. A tourist guide or history book of the Metro 2033 tunnels and stations, or the planet Pandora in Avatar, could be awesome.
    I read the Swedish translation and it was rather good. Loved the book as a whole. I think I ended up giving it 5 stars on Goodreads, although I'd probably give it 4½ if they did ½ stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I finished The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared, by Jonas Jonasson. It was a pretty enjoyable read with lots of dry humour. I enjoyed the present-day material far more than the flashbacks to Allan's past Gump-like adventures, but even those were entertaining, if farfetched.
    One of the Swedish books I probably should've read.

However, I have been reading Swedish UF (!?) by Nene Ormes, starting with Udda Verklighet, which is described as a sort of Swedish Neverwhere, taking place in Malmö. It's not as good as Neverwhere (which is still my favourite Gaiman book after all these years), but I was pleasantly surprised (in no small amount because Malmö is one of my least favourite cities ) and picked up the second part right away.

INTJ
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Funny, I was going to start The Book Thief tonight as well!
    It's been in my TBR pile for awhile too. Maybe I'll move it up a bit
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    I know earlier people were talking about The Rules of Civility by Towles. I'm in the middle of it at the moment. At first, the writing style annoyed me (lack of quotation marks and speaker attribution), but I've gotten past that and am really enjoying the story. I still think the book works better in the prose sections than in the dialogue though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    There is a word for you and it starts with a B and ends with an h.

:

Just for this, I hope that silly baseball team loses. And yes, I will be seething inside for two freaking months knowing you've read it and I haven't.
    Three words: Sekret Nazi Island.

vCash
    Someone on this thread recommended Nell Freudenberger's The Newlyweds several weeks ago (or maybe even months ago) so I'd made a note on my wishlist and just started reading it now. I'm about 1/3 in and it's excellent so far. Freudenberger's writing style and character development reminds me a lot of Maeve Binchy, who is one of my favourite authors. It's a fairly quick read and I'm eager to see how it turns out, so I'll probably end up finishing it tonight...in fact, I really shouldn't have started reading it in bed last night, as I had a hard time putting it down to go to sleep even though it's not a suspense-genre novel.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I'm about 100 pages into The Twelve by Justin Cronin. And I am now prepared to take back the criticisms I'd previously made about The Passage -- i.e., that it needed a structural edit. The Twelve makes the structure of The Passage make sense. And, so far, it is very, very good.

Page 16 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast