Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

vCash
    My favorite Criminal Minds story was the one where they guy in the truck was running people over, and they made it really easy for him by, for example, running down the middle of the street, or in the parking garage scene, not going up on to a car, or into the stairwell, but conveniently running down the middle of the garage to the elevator, where he was smushed.

I haven't had time to read a book lately. (except what I'm reading for the 19843 time with my students. Hello, Animal Farm!)

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Shemar Moore is one of things I like the least about Criminal Minds. Sure, he's pretty, but I can't stand his character.

Amazon has a bunch of Kindle books available for $3.99 or less. I think they're available all month. Some of the more interesting looking ones are Molly Ringwald's first book, American Gods by Neil Gaiman, Zombie by Joyce Carol Oates, The Sisters Brothers and Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk.

Barnes and Noble is offering the Nook edition of End this Depression Now by Paul Krugman for $3.99, today only. I think I may buy this one.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Thanks, all, for the ID on the TV show.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxygirl View Post
    Shemar Moore is one of things I like the least about Criminal Minds. Sure, he's pretty, but I can't stand his character.
    Character?
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Character?
    Me too. Is this a real question? I can't tell...
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rfisher
    All my fellow Potter fans need to read Ben Aaronovitch's Midnight Riot. To quote one reviewer, "Midnight Riot is what would happen if Harry Potter grew up and joined the fuzz. A hilarous, keenly imagined caper."

I checked this book out from the library, and couldn't get into it at all. Other than the aspect of someone learning they are a wizard and then getting trained, the two books really aren't that similar. The main character was kinda boring, and his relationships with his mentor and Lisa were never really believable.
    I too read it on rfisher's recommendation. I don't think rfisher likes us very much.

I'll probably read the second one, because there were some ideas in the first one I liked, and writing improves. I was glad I slogged through the first of the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning; the rest of the series more than made up for it. Sometimes urban fantasy just needs time to develop. And I know it's not a new trend, but I hate the whole, oh they have on small detail in common! They must be alike! For a while, every book was like The da Vinci Code, then Stephanie Plum, then Harry Potter, then Twilight, and in a few months, we'll see every new mystery with a psychotic TWIST compared to Gone Girl.

Currently, I'm re-reading the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews. I just finished her first full-length novel spin-off, and I, umm, had to re-read the rest of them. For the details. Not for slightly unhinged and very sexy warelions. Nuh-uh.

On deck: Jepp, Who Defied the Stars (October 9). It's such an amazing title. And it has a dwarf, so what could possibly go wrong? *famous last words*
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I just quoted the book blurbs. I thought it was funny and an easy read. I liked the satire, but since I'm not getting any royalties for the book, people can read or not as they wish.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I just quoted the book blurbs. I thought it was funny and an easy read. I liked the satire, but since I'm not getting any royalties for the book, people can read or not as they wish.
    I was actually coming to this thread to thank you for the recommendation . I've been giggling by way to work thanks to the book. Which is very unsual for me around month end and working 11 hour-days.

I do love Brit humor and sarcasm & this might have something to do with my enjoyment factor...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I took your recommendation and was glad I did; I loved it and am thinking about reading the next one in the series. So there, naysayers.

vCash

Wink

I visited the library today and obtained an "I read banned books" button.....

vCash
    I read some of the "banned books" every year.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I bought this "I read banned books" bracelet a few years ago at a book festival. (And I have indeed read all those titles.)

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    "Banned books" makes me .
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    But all I have to do is tell kids it's been challenged, and they want to read it.

vCash
    I finished "Bright Hair About the Bone" - finally - and while the story was decent, I can't reccommend it, mainly because of the style of writing - long descriptions interperse with long, preachy dialogue, with none of the characters ever fully developed enough to explain their actions. It's up on the book swap site already and I have no desire to look for the next volume in the series.

So I grabbed the top book off the pile of cheapo historicals I collected at the church yard sale: Regina Scott's "An Honorable Gentleman" thinking that a fluffy Regency might be just the thing to lighten my brain on a rainy evening. Unfortunately, I failed to note that the book comes from a line called "Love Inspired Historicals" - which basically seems to mean that every three pages one or the other main character inserts a fervent prayer that the other main character will submit to the wisdom and guidence of God - and do what the pleader is asking. Oh, and there's a mysterious statue of The Good Shepherd levitating around the Hall and appearing to chastise the Gentleman whenever he gets to thinking about deserting Those Who Need Him. I'm not impressed but it reads fast. It's be up for swap by Saturday, I'm sure.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    So I grabbed the top book off the pile of cheapo historicals I collected at the church yard sale: Regina Scott's "An Honorable Gentleman" thinking that a fluffy Regency might be just the thing to lighten my brain on a rainy evening. Unfortunately, I failed to note that the book comes from a line called "Love Inspired Historicals" - which basically seems to mean that every three pages one or the other main character inserts a fervent prayer that the other main character will submit to the wisdom and guidence of God - and do what the pleader is asking. Oh, and there's a mysterious statue of The Good Shepherd levitating around the Hall and appearing to chastise the Gentleman whenever he gets to thinking about deserting Those Who Need Him. I'm not impressed but it reads fast. It's be up for swap by Saturday, I'm sure.
    Well, yes, Harlequin's Love Inspired lines are, as the name implies, inspirational romances, so there will be a fair amount of religious (Christian) content. I read an inspy a few months back (not from that line) and it's not my thing, either, though I have read some very good romances in which religion and faith were an important part of the story; Flowers from the Storm comes to mind.

The most recent romance I read was the latest by Sherry Thomas - who is, as always, brilliant. But right now I'm looking for a non-romance, I need a quick break from the genre.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Well, yes, Harlequin's Love Inspired lines are, as the name implies, inspirational romances, so there will be a fair amount of religious (Christian) content. I read an inspy a few months back (not from that line) and it's not my thing, either, though I have read some very good romances in which religion and faith were an important part of the story; Flowers from the Storm comes to mind.
    The only thing all the praying is inspiring me to do is to slap the silly twit upside the head. I can sort of understand the girl raising her eyes to heaven fairly often because she's supposed to be a devoted churchgoer but when the Gentleman, who admits to only setting foot in a church a very few times in his entire life and then only when forced to, suddenly begins quoting obscue passages of Scripture to himself, I get annoyed with the author's heavyhandedness. The moving Statue is also a bit much.
    Last edited by zaphyre14; 10-05-2012 at 03:12 PM.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    The only thing all the praying is inspiring me to do is to slap the silly twit upside the head. I can sort of understand the girl raising her eyes to heaven fairly often because she's supposed to be a devoted churchgoer but when the Gentleman, who admits to only setting footin a church a very few times in his entire life and then only when forced to, suddenly begins quoting obscue passages of Scripture to himself, I get annoyed with the author's heavyhandedness. The moving Statue is also a bit much.
    Yeah, I don't think either of us is the target audience for these... But clearly some people are, or there wouldn't be Amish romances or a Love Inspired Suspense line (so that you can read about "strong heroes and heroines whose faith is central in solving mysteries and saving lives").

There's a Courtney Milan book in which the courtesan heroine can quote scripture, but there's a good reason for it. And no moving statues that I can recall.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    John Sanford's latest Virgil Flowers (Mad River) is out. I lurve me some Virgil. I like the Lucas Davenport books, but Lucas is too slick and smooth. Bad, thing is I have things I really need to be doing and sitting down and reading this entire book today isn't one of them. Bad me. I should have waited about buying it, but, well, I didn't.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Taking a break from detective stories and reading the Jackie Kennedy Onassis bio by Sarah Bradford. Can't. Put. Down.

Jackie comes across as a very complex and not altogether likable person. But she was a an absolute compared to JFK.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast