Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Impromptu View Post
    After years of hearing about how wonderful it is, I've uploaded Mark Helprin's Winter's Tale. I'm trying to decide whether to read it right away, or wait for a nice snowy day (which could be as soon as 4 weeks from now, given that I live in Minnesota).
    Let us know what you think of it when you're done. I bought Winter's Tale when it was the Nook Daily Deal but I've put so many ebooks on hold at the library that I haven't had time to read any of the books I've bought lately.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    As for JKR, she could have written Hamlet and it would have been universally panned; I didn't expect critics to like it.
    Agreed,
    I suspect that there is great jealousy/envy over her success, which might influence their opinion about anything she writes.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    JK Rowling's new book is everywhere in Copenhagen, because everyone here reads English.

Quote Originally Posted by TygerLily View Post
    because it was over or because it was bad?
    because it was delicious, and I wanted it to never end.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I'm glad I didn't plan to put A Casual Vacancy on my nook as apparently there are major glitches with the e-version of the book.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Agreed,
    I suspect that there is great jealousy/envy over her success, which might influence their opinion about anything she writes.
    Or, hey, they might just think it sucks.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Today's Nook Daily Find is Room by Emma Donoghue for $2.99.

Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail by Hunter S Thompson is also $2.99 today.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

INTJ
    vCash
    Room is a gripping, disturbing book. I read it in one sitting because I couldn't put it down.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    Room is a gripping, disturbing book. I read it in one sitting because I couldn't put it down.
    I read it in two sittings. Probably not good that I started it at nearly 11:00 at night -- but had to keep reading it until the point where

Spoiler

. I picked up a 2nd hand copy for .50 a couple of weeks ago, I'm going to re-read it one day at a more leisurly pace.

Just me
    vCash
    I read Neverwhere by Neil Gaimann this past weekend. Loved the characters and the story (about the REAL London Underground! ) moved along at a wonderful pace.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Or, hey, they might just think it sucks.
    Nah, there must be some kind of underlying agenda. It can't simply be a straighforward, honest response.

Room is one of my favorite recommendations from the books threads.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Just picked up Room - sounds like it's worth the shot!

INTJ
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I read it in two sittings. Probably not good that I started it at nearly 11:00 at night -- but had to keep reading it until the point where

Spoiler

. I picked up a 2nd hand copy for .50 a couple of weeks ago, I'm going to re-read it one day at a more leisurly pace.
    I also started reading it late at night. Not smart
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Impromptu View Post
    After years of hearing about how wonderful it is, I've uploaded Mark Helprin's Winter's Tale. I'm trying to decide whether to read it right away, or wait for a nice snowy day (which could be as soon as 4 weeks from now, given that I live in Minnesota).
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxygirl View Post
    Let us know what you think of it when you're done.
    Yes, I'm curious too. I'm pretty sure that I have a paper copy of this book hanging around, and I remember reading the first few pages and never got into it so I gave up, but I also don't feel like I really gave it a fair shot. I keep forgetting to try it again.

On the topic of JK Rowling...trying to decide whether I should give the Harry Potter books a shot. Yes, I know I am several years too late. I'd never been very interested because I don't like fantasy. But I just got back from a vacation with several HP fans who assured me that they aren't into fantasy either, but really like HP and that they're just very well-written books. Any thoughts?

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Yes, I'm curious too. I'm pretty sure that I have a paper copy of this book hanging around, and I remember reading the first few pages and never got into it so I gave up, but I also don't feel like I really gave it a fair shot. I keep forgetting to try it again.

On the topic of JK Rowling...trying to decide whether I should give the Harry Potter books a shot. Yes, I know I am several years too late. I'd never been very interested because I don't like fantasy. But I just got back from a vacation with several HP fans who assured me that they aren't into fantasy either, but really like HP and that they're just very well-written books. Any thoughts?
    I think you should give them a shot. When I first read them, I wasn't into fantasy and I wasn't into young adult books and I loved them. Keep in mind, though, that the first two or three books are written for a younger audience than the later books. I think she wrote them to correspond to the ages of the characters so that the books become more adult as Harry and the readers grow up.

I agree that the books are very well written. She does a very good job of drawing you in and making it feel like you are experiencing what the characters experience.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    Agreed. I had a student who had never finished a book blow through it in two days.

I read the first Harry Potter book and liked it. Not sure why I never picked up the rest, but there's always stuff I wanted to read more.

INTJ
    vCash
    I agree with your friends. I didn't read them until a couple of years ago mostly because of the hype, and I also don't like fantasy particularly. They are very well written and JK Rowling obviously put a ton of effort into the details of the characters, the setting and the story. They are totally worth a read, imho

vCash

I can read some fantasy, but it's not my thing for the most part. But HP doesn't start out as hardcore fantasy, more like a combination of classic English boarding school books with fantasy - though it does become darker and less school-oriented as it goes on. I enjoyed the earlier books in the series; later on I think Rowling's editors were afraid to tell her that even she needed editing. Anyway, I'd say it's worth a try.

vCash
    Rowling herself has said that OOtP needed a lot more editing than she gave it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Rowling herself has said that OOtP needed a lot more editing than she gave it
    That is exactly the one I had in mind; it needed to have about 200 pages worth of text cut out... a pity Rowling did not do anything about it at the time OotP would have also been vastly improved if she'd written Harry as anything but the most stereotypical teenager imaginable.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    OotP would have also been vastly improved if she'd written Harry as anything but the most stereotypical teenager imaginable.
    I actually thought that was one of the strengths. Here's a boy who's had the most unusual and unpleastant upbringing, lives in a fantastical world, has seen death, has met his parents' killer face to face, has a crushing destiny ... but is still an ordinary teen with ordinary teen trials & tribulations. Perhaps a bit less of the teen angst would have been a good thing, but not a complete rewrite.

For Erin, be aware that the series gets more complicated and sophisticated as it goes on -- growing with the age of the characters and the readers (and, I think, as Rowling learned her craft). The Philosopher's Stone is somewhat juvenile in its tone, but don't let that turn you off. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to be juvenile or unsophisticated, but if you don't read a lot of children's/YA lit you might get turned off by that more than the "fantasy" content.

Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast