Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Just finished "Shackleton: Endurance." Wonderfully researched, but it looks like someone replaced ‘the’ with ‘die’ in certain spots. It became distracting. “Shackleton looked at die iceberg”. Did he want the iceberg to die? Or “die penguin waddled”. Maybe he hated penguins?

Real paper books - Now reading Preston & Child's "Reliquary". I'm discovering their Pendergast series and happy with it. At the library, I've got 4 books holding. Unbroken by Laura Hillebrand, Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory, The Storyteller by Jodi Picoluet, and something I forget the name of. I'm on the waiting list for Pope Joan and The Light Between Oceans. Gave up on Wolf Hall, it bothered me.
    Did you read the older version, "Endurance" by Alfred Lansing? It is written as the best example of an adventure novel, all the while with good research. It was one of those "I cannot put you down to eat or sleep" books for me.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Has "Beautiful Ruins" by Jess Walter been brought up here? I looked through some pages, but did not see.
    I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a little bit of everything- romance and sharp amusing observations in the tradition of Franzen or Perrotta; Italy and LA, musings on art and addiction... wistful, nostalgic and riding the line between an easy read and high literature.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    Did you read the older version, "Endurance" by Alfred Lansing? It is written as the best example of an adventure novel, all the while with good research. It was one of those "I cannot put you down to eat or sleep" books for me.
    Yep, that's the book I read. I did wish he'd given us a chapter on what their lives were like after the rescue. It was an abrupt end - the boat showed up and then, it was over.

Last night, I read "The Boy From Reactor 4". I'm a Chernobyl/Pripyat nut, so it was very interesting. BUT, the book begins with a weird chapter and then does the '8 months prior' thing. Hard to build drama when you know the result.

I downloaded "The Sunne in His Splendor", Sharon Kay Penman's 900+ page book about Richard III. I have 4 of her hardcovers on the shelf to be read. There's also 11 books on my library waiting list. I'm going to literary hell here. Is there an 'overreader's support group' I can join?

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    I just finished Age of Miracles. It was so good, I've totally forgiven Karen Walker Thompson for Swamplandia. I don't know what genre it would be. The protagonist is a 13 year old girl, but it's not YA. It features The End of the World, but it's not dystopian. Horrible things happen, and you know everyone's going to die, but it's really hopeful. It's one of the best coming of age stories I've ever read.
    I (mostly) loved The Age of Miracles too ... but I'm confused by your reference to Swamplandia. You know that was a different author, right? Or were you just being facetious and tarring all authors named Karen with the same brush.

vCash
    Has anyone else read the latest Lisa Gardner, Touch and Go? I read it yesterday and really found it one of her weaker efforts. I also just finished Camilla Lackberg's The Stonecutter and have started in on Steve Jobs.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    I give up. I actually cancelled some ebook holds tonight. There's 3 'real' books waiting at the library; The Language of Flowers, Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker, and The Good House. And another 3 due in soon. Time to start pacing myself.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I have The Good House on deck - got an interesting review in the NY Times Book Review, so really looking forward to it.

For now am deep into Jack Reacher - on book 3, have the next waiting on my nightstand, next two in my Amazon cart

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I have The Good House on deck - got an interesting review in the NY Times Book Review, so really looking forward to it.
    That's why I reserved it too! I skim through the Times and then grab the Book Review. Keep a pen handy in case I see something that looks interesting. If my eyes glaze over mid review, I pass it by.

Does anyone have any opinions on Kate Atkinson? Life After Life looks interesting.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I've found a lot of books via the NY Times Book Review. We get the paper every Sunday and it's one of the sections I look forward to - along with the crossword

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Does anyone have any opinions on Kate Atkinson? Life After Life looks interesting.
    I've read a couple of her Jackson Brodie mysteries, and really liked them. She's good at finding the humanity and connections in her characters and situations, so I'm guessing she's got more than enough to offer in a novel even without the "whodunnit" part.

vCash
    Just finished "Shackleton: Endurance." Wonderfully researched, but it looks like someone replaced ‘the’ with ‘die’ in certain spots. It became distracting. “Shackleton looked at die iceberg”. Did he want the iceberg to die? Or “die penguin waddled”. Maybe he hated penguins?

Real paper books - Now reading Preston & Child's "Reliquary". I'm discovering their Pendergast series and happy with it. At the library, I've got 4 books holding. Unbroken by Laura Hillebrand, Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory, The Storyteller by Jodi Picoluet, and something I forget the name of. I'm on the waiting list for Pope Joan and The Light Between Oceans. Gave up on Wolf Hall, it bothered me.
    Sounds like it was translated from German? "die" (pronounced 'dee') is one of the several "the"s in German. I second the recommendation for Lansing's book on Shackleton's expedition. He had a LOT of original photos and diaries and was able to interview a few of the men who'd been on the expedition. It's a really, really gripping book and I just kept saying, "Oh my gosh, I don't know HOW they did this" over and over through the book.

Since I enjoyed The Eyre Affair, I figured I'd try another Jasper Fforde and checked out The Big Over Easy at the library. Set in the Nursery Crimes Division of the police, all about Humpty Dumpty's great fall. Fun so far, but definitely similar in tone to The Eyre Affair, so now I'm wondering if Fforde ever writes anything that isn't glib satire.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    now am deep into Jack Reacher - on book 3, have the next waiting on my nightstand, next two in my Amazon cart

Five (Echo Burning) is generally considered a rather weak entry. But 11 (Bad Luck and Trouble) and 12 (Nothing to Lose) are the ones to skip--11 is just plain insulting to your intelligence and 12 is just bad.

Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Sounds like it was translated from German? "die" (pronounced 'dee') is one of the several "the"s in German.
    That, or it's an e-book that was scanned, which often results in strange things, depending on the font in the original.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Five (Echo Burning) is generally considered a rather weak entry. But 11 (Bad Luck and Trouble) and 12 (Nothing to Lose) are the ones to skip--11 is just plain insulting to your intelligence and 12 is just bad.
    I have made a note

Still can't believe Tom Cruise got the role, but I guess that's the power of Tom Cruise. According to IMDB, also considered for the role were Brad Pitt (maybe), Hugh Jackman (don't like him at all), Vince Vaughn (don't see it), Jamie Foxx (no way), and Will Smith (don't see it either).

Personally, my first thought was John Cusack - not blonde, but very tall, brooding, sexy, just not sure if he could kick ass. Other option is Alex O'Loughlin, who already plays an ex military type on Hawaii 5-0, can convincingly kick ass, and is very .

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Still can't believe Tom Cruise got the role, but I guess that's the power of Tom Cruise.
    The director said that there are no actors in Hollywood who can fit the physical requirements, so that was out, and after that, they looked from an actor who could do silent but intense with lots of action.

Dunno. I haven't felt the need to see it, although people who have have told me it's a pretty good action flick. I just can't picture him in the role and haven't quite reached the point where I am willing to let that go.

That's the problem with movies based on books--they hardly ever match the story you saw in your head.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    That's the problem with movies based on books--they hardly ever match the story you saw in your head.
    Years ago, all the while I was reading The Prince of Tides, Jeff Bridges was my Tom Wingo. It actually came as a shock to me when Nick Nolte was cast in that role.

vCash
    I'm still bitter about the casting for Practical Magic. One of my favorite books and they ruined it! (shakes fist in the direction of Hollywood). Ooh - that might be a good topic. "Worst casting of a book". I think Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon is another horrid choice.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Huh, sometimes it helps to not have read the book. Who do you think should have been cast in Practical Magic, dbell1? What was different about the book characters?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I'm finally on the last stretch of One of Ours. Our Hero just arrived in France and I am really curious how Cather will handle his combat experiences. She all but omitted his experiences in boot camp.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    I was actually shocked when I read Leroux's The Phantom of the Opera and learned that Christine was supposed to be a blonde. Of course, he never met Sarah Brightman

vCash
    I'm still bitter about the casting for Practical Magic. One of my favorite books and they ruined it! (shakes fist in the direction of Hollywood). Ooh - that might be a good topic. "Worst casting of a book". I think Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon is another horrid choice.
    The Time Traveller's Wife

Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast